shape
carat
color
clarity

Fake? Fracture filled? Both?

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You were right :) I definitely thought it was going to come back as something fake. The other jewelry we found was such a mixed bag, I thought there wasn’t any way this was real.

Is the origin very important? It cost extra I think and I also thought was a minor detail (especially for something I assumed was essentially worthless). Now that I know it’s worth my time, should I have the stone unset and get a more detailed report?

‘’you’re right, the cut is very unusual and not even close to symmetric. Do these things tend to do better as completed jewelry or as loose stones?

I think having the stone unset and sending it back to GIA for a retest would be a good idea. Having the actual carat weight and the origin would certainly make any appraisal much more accurate.

airplay355

Shiny_Rock
You guys are the best! Ok, I’ll get it unset and get the loose stone certified with an accurate weight. Should I still go to GIA or look for other labs that are just as reputable but give a more detailed report?

airplay355

Shiny_Rock
Would AGL be better for this kind of stone? They’re just as easy to get to as GIA since I’m in NYC.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I believe AGL are the most respected lab for colored stones. Their cert also includes a diagram showing the cut dimensions of the stone. This might be useful given the unusual shape of your sapphire.

airplay355

Shiny_Rock
I was offered $3500 for it by a buyer in the diamond district. I turned it down. I’m thinking about maybe having it recut and making something more wearable. Thoughts?

3A8921D1-BE2D-48EF-812D-929B3D8A8D27.jpeg C27D9141-5952-4B1F-A670-52983FEEBAF1.jpeg

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    December Birthstones 2021 - Zircon, Turquoise, and Tanzanite
    December Birthstones 2021 - Zircon, Turquoise, and Tanzanite - 12/01
    "Not so Fast!" says Mother Nature
    "Not so Fast!" says Mother Nature - 11/29
    Jewels of the Week: November 2021
    Jewels of the Week: November 2021 - 11/26