shape
carat
color
clarity

Exhausted and overwhelmed.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! I forgot that the rhodium plating can help. I've only heard that people with nickel allergies can't wear white gold. I guess that's saying they can't wear white gold that's not plated.
Just fyi : I cannot wear plated white gold if there's nickel in it. Reaction starts within minutes. Developed in my mid twenties.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Just fyi : I cannot wear plated white gold if there's nickel in it. Reaction starts within minutes. Developed in my mid twenties.
Pretty sure I don't have an allergy, thank goodness. I wore the unplated white gold ring for about 12 hours overnight and nothing.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t think they do for small edits, but big changes, yes. In recent experiences I’ve read about, they’re $50 a pop I believe.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I'm been trying to call David Klass all day and no one ever answers, left a messed but haven't heard back. And he never responded to my email a month ago. I'm nervous to use him now even if he does respond. Is this normal?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@frogplus I had also contacted David Klass a few days ago asking him if he could set my princess studs when I get them from Lightbox. He just answered me so he may be just catching up on emails. My quote was reasonable so hope yours is too!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm been trying to call David Klass all day and no one ever answers, left a messed but haven't heard back. And he never responded to my email a month ago. I'm nervous to use him now even if he does respond. Is this normal?

He is likely playing catch-up... it's about to be the busy season.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
He is likely playing catch-up... it's about to be the busy season.
He just answered mine so he must be just catching up.

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock

I would send a follow up email. I don't think they answer the phone much, but I sent a quote request about the same time that you sent the first one and I didn't get a response for about a week. Turns out the team was coming back from vacation. When I sent my follow up email I got a response within a few hours.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm ok with knife edge where it tapers, I think? I just don't really like it for the whole ring, or even the part you can see from above.

This is exactly how Caysie (of CVB) did my ring. She did a knife edge at the taper, but it rounds out starting at 10:00 & 2:00, and is almost totally round at the bottom. It's super comfortable. The knife edge give the appearance of whisper-thin, but is much more structurally sound than a flatter style band due to the height. Here are some photos to show you what I mean... I'll also include Caysie's CADs.

Notice the knife edge at the taper, then how it softens for comfort down the sides and bottom...
CVB Soli CAD Grid Combo.jpg CVB Soli CAD 2.jpg CVB Soli CAD 4.jpg

See how it rounds out as it goes down...
CVB Soli Stack_1.jpg

Another shot where you can see the knife edge and where it softens...
CVB Soli with bezel eternity.jpg

Hope these help you visualize how a knife edge can be modified for comfort.

Also, I wouldn't worry about not liking the DK solitaire... he will make sure you like it. He's done this same style you like many times. Just provide him photos and instructions, and we'll help you with the rest! ;-)

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@frogplus, I totally get being overwhelmed. I just didn't want you to have any regrets later since you have put so much thought into this ring and have agonized over every detail.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
DK responded right away when I sent the follow up email. He said it would be $700 including setting fee, shipping & insurance, ready in 20 days, and I don't pay anything until approving photos. Moment of Truth. Do I spend the extra for DK or try one of the Chinese companies, Tianyu or StarsGem? I think it will end up being about $300 total from the Chinese companies, including local setting fee. We originally had a budget of $600 for the setting so this seems reasonable, except that if I still have to do all the work to create the CAD (with help from you guys) I'm thinking I should just save the $400?

I also haven't even heard back from HC yet about the return. They said in an earlier email they would take it back if I wasn't happy, but no details about if there's a restocking fee or anything.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DK responded right away when I sent the follow up email. He said it would be $700 including setting fee, shipping & insurance, ready in 20 days, and I don't pay anything until approving photos. Moment of Truth. Do I spend the extra for DK or try one of the Chinese companies, Tianyu or StarsGem? I think it will end up being about $300 total from the Chinese companies, including local setting fee. We originally had a budget of $600 for the setting so this seems reasonable, except that if I still have to do all the work to create the CAD (with help from you guys) I'm thinking I should just save the $400?

I also haven't even heard back from HC yet about the return. They said in an earlier email they would take it back if I wasn't happy, but no details about if there's a restocking fee or anything.

I mean... as picky as you're being about the setting (no issue with that -- I'd be the same way!!), why not go with a vendor who has guaranteed your approval BEFORE you pay?? Seems like a no-brainer to me...

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@frogplus... another thing you may want to consider is asking David if he would do this for $600 for you. It can't hurt to ask. I simply asked if he could do my platinum tri-wire band for a particular price (about 15% less than his quote), and he was happy to oblige.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I mean... as picky as you're being about the setting (no issue with that -- I'd be the same way!!), why not go with a vendor who has guaranteed your approval BEFORE you pay?? Seems like a no-brainer to me...

Lol, true. I'm not sure what Tianyu and StarsGem policies are. Might be the same. I have to ask.

@frogplus... another thing you may want to consider is asking David if he would do this for $600 for you. It can't hurt to ask. I simply asked if he could do my platinum tri-wire band for a particular price (about 15% less than his quote), and he was happy to oblige.

I might ask, but I almost feel bad asking because I know I'm going to be a pain in the ass customer and don't deserve a discount, lol. :oops2:

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DK is the inly vendor I know of that will work on a cad without you paying first. No one else I’ve worked with is like that :mrgreen2:

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
For what it’s worth, I have a 2 mm knife edge that isn’t tall at all ... I like the thin band with the smaller stone - this is a .62 ... just so you know, it can be done

5A2ACEF8-1619-4DB2-8755-B0B6F807C9C1.jpeg EB4901C7-8519-4E92-A5AC-B79C25F53CF7.jpeg

Attachments

• 9B6B632B-C506-4BE6-9CB5-1A6DB23F7787.jpeg
    9B6B632B-C506-4BE6-9CB5-1A6DB23F7787.jpeg
    91.1 KB · Views: 22

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Also, body jewelry places use white gold without nickel ... if you’re going to have the ring manufactured, why don’t you ask about this type of white gold? That way, you’ll never have to worry.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
DK has a WG/palladium mix that never needs plated too. That would be a great option!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol, true. I'm not sure what Tianyu and StarsGem policies are. Might be the same. I have to ask.

I might ask, but I almost feel bad asking because I know I'm going to be a pain in the ass customer and don't deserve a discount, lol. :oops2:

FWIW, DK ended up remaking the band that he agreed to give me the discount on... LOL Just tell him that you'd really budgeted $600 for the setting and ask if there is anything he can do to help you be closer to budget. It never hurts to ask.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
DK has a WG/palladium mix that never needs plated too. That would be a great option!
Oooh that might make it worth the extra cost alone. I emailed to see if that's what he would use.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t normally like white gold, but his white gold is awesome! I have a pendent and earrings in it.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don’t normally like white gold, but his white gold is awesome! I have a pendent and earrings in it.
Is it shiny or matt? It sounds great...

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@frogplus i'd go w/ DK because he will make sure it is what you want....many people here have gone though multiple CAD revisions and even remaking a setting with him to get it perfect and he errs on the side of making the customer happy.

whether you ask to see if there is anything you could do to get the price lower or go ahead with his quote as-is, i think it is worth spending the extra money for peace of mind and getting that exact thing you want. you could always also offer something in exchange for some wiggle room on the quote...like if you can wait until after the holiday rush or limit to 2 CAD revisions etc.

best of luck!

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it shiny or matt? It sounds great...
It’s shiny. It’s not as bright white as rhodium plated white gold, but it’s not warm like unplated white gold.

ETA- at least I don’t feel it’s as bright as rhodium. Maybe I’m seeing things and like it more bc it’s not warm and doesn’t need upkeep lol

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
It’s shiny. It’s not as bright white as rhodium plated white gold, but it’s not warm like unplated white gold.

ETA- at least I don’t feel it’s as bright as rhodium. Maybe I’m seeing things and like it more bc it’s not warm and doesn’t need upkeep lol
Thanks!

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock

Do you know if there are any pictures out there comparing his WG to rhodium plated?

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you know if there are any pictures out there comparing his WG to rhodium plated?
I don’t know if there are any pics comparing it. I don’t have any rhodium plated or I would take pics.

Here is my pendent. I think it’s a pretty good representation of the metal.
F317F7AE-C051-4FB4-8117-B79BB2F6756C.jpeg C3E0AE1C-76ED-499B-8E59-AA117FE07DE4.jpeg

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don’t know if there are any pics comparing it. I don’t have any rhodium plated or I would take pics.

Here is my pendent. I think it’s a pretty good representation of the metal.
F317F7AE-C051-4FB4-8117-B79BB2F6756C.jpeg C3E0AE1C-76ED-499B-8E59-AA117FE07DE4.jpeg
That color is beautiful! Love your pendant!

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
...except that if I still have to do all the work to create the CAD (with help from you guys) I'm thinking I should just save the $400?

I honestly wouldn't worry about having to do the "design work" yourself; you've basically already done it! It may not seem like it, but you already have formed a very clear idea of what you want (check that annotated diagram you just made). DK will do a very good job of following what you ask, consulting and tweaking until you are 100% secure and happy. I wouldn't recommend him if you just had a vague idea of some stuff you like with no proportions or specific element in mind. But that is not at all where you are at.

PLUS you have garnered quite a following o. this thread, so you are sure to get lllooots of feedback and validation on those CADs ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results