shape
carat
color
clarity

Exhausted and overwhelmed.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Wow those settings look better than I was expecting. If you end up going with them I am so curious about how it turns out!! Them not having a place where they show completed rings turned me off of them. But this doesn't look bad at all. Do they feel sturdy?

Yep I'm very impressed! The settings seem very sturdy and nice, and these are just the replicas made with a silver alloy. I'm especially impressed with the prongs on the Iris. Very dainty and delicate. Honestly, if you're thinking about any of these settings, just go ahead and place an order for the try-at-home, it's free. I think I had to give a card to place the order (in case you don't return them), but I just checked and they didn't charge my card.

The Miadonna try at home program did charge up front ($25 per setting) but should be refunded in full when I return them (dropping them off tonight).

You could probably try emailing them and ask if you can stop by in person if you live nearby. Their email customer support has been phenomenal. Very quick and through responses. I'm not sure who I've been emailing with but I feel like it's a small operation so it might even be the owner.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Yep I'm very impressed! The settings seem very sturdy and nice, and these are just the replicas made with a silver alloy. I'm especially impressed with the prongs on the Iris. Very dainty and delicate. Honestly, if you're thinking about any of these settings, just go ahead and place an order for the try-at-home, it's free. I think I had to give a card to place the order (in case you don't return them), but I just checked and they didn't charge my card.

The Miadonna try at home program did charge up front ($25 per setting) but should be refunded in full when I return them (dropping them off tonight).

You could probably try emailing them and ask if you can stop by in person if you live nearby. Their email customer support has been phenomenal. Very quick and through responses. I'm not sure who I've been emailing with but I feel like it's a small operation so it might even be the owner.

Good to know. Thank you :D They definitely have good emailing skills that's for sure. Very very quick responses. I wish I was near them. I would totally stop by.
I'm probably going to ask my jeweller first if they feel comfortable setting my stone first before I make any decisions on the settings. They might not so it might be moot lol. Hoping it will come tommorow and I can ask around this weekend.
Going to be watching this thread closely though for sure.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Good to know. Thank you :D They definitely have good emailing skills that's for sure. Very very quick responses. I wish I was near them. I would totally stop by.
I'm probably going to ask my jeweller first if they feel comfortable setting my stone first before I make any decisions on the settings. They might not so it might be moot lol. Hoping it will come tommorow and I can ask around this weekend.
Going to be watching this thread closely though for sure.

FWIW I found two local jewelers who are willing to set a setting and stone that I provide. One said it would be $50 max, the other said $30-40. This includes polishing and plating again after setting. I'm not sure where you live but if you have options, just start calling. If someone says they don't work with settings/stones they don't provide, ask if they can recommend someone who will. That's how I found one of them. The other was a recommendation from someone here.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
FWIW I found two local jewelers who are willing to set a setting and stone that I provide. One said it would be $50 max, the other said $30-40. This includes polishing and plating again after setting. I'm not sure where you live but if you have options, just start calling. If someone says they don't work with settings/stones they don't provide, ask if they can recommend someone who will. That's how I found one of them. The other was a recommendation from someone here.

Oh that's not my issue. Theres a few places here plus my regular jeweler I would use for normal stuff if I didn't want to traipse 45 minutes away to my regular bench.
My worry is my stone is not a typical round stone and I do not know how well any of the local places do with more uncommonly shaped stones.
I know it can be set because one of our ps members had a similarly shaped stone set that she showed in another thread. So I know its doable by a good bench and my cutter told me either to have it bezeled or put it in a 4 prong to make sure it sits well and should be perfectly doable.

So I need to start with my usual jeweller once my stone is in hand and see what she and her family think and then ask around from there based on her answer. Luckily this isn't something I need set asap so I have plenty of time to do homework :D I'm just obsessive and like to know where I am going and who I am doing it with before I plunk down the money.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
HC replied already, the Iris head with Classic shank is $255 in 14k white gold or $440 in platinum, shipping included. It'll be $30-50 for setting locally. Don't want to count my chickens before they hatch but I think I actually found my perfect setting at a rock bottom price.

I think I am going to go with the white gold, I really love the white shiny look and think I'll be happier with the way white gold wears over platinum. I just want to finish up my "allergy test" wearing my mom's ring and then I'm pretty sure I'm going to order it in white gold unless I have a horrible allergic reaction overnight.

Will keep you all updated! :mrgreen2:

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
HC replied already, the Iris head with Classic shank is $255 in 14k white gold or $440 in platinum, shipping included. It'll be $30-50 for setting locally. Don't want to count my chickens before they hatch but I think I actually found my perfect setting at a rock bottom price.

I think I am going to go with the white gold, I really love the white shiny look and think I'll be happier with the way white gold wears over platinum. I just want to finish up my "allergy test" wearing my mom's ring and then I'm pretty sure I'm going to order it in white gold unless I have a horrible allergic reaction overnight.

Fingers crossed, I’m excited for you!

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Fingers crossed, I’m excited for you!
Thank you! I really should go to sleep but of course I'm sitting in bed looking at rings instead. :roll2:

Now I'm comparing the shank of the Classic (top) with the shank of this cheap CZ ring I ordered from Amazon (bottom).
IMG_20181017_230602.jpg IMG_20181017_230622.jpg IMG_20181017_230613.jpg
I really like the taper combined with the wider bottom on the Amazon ring. I like that it looks bottom heavy and kind of balances out the stone on top. I don't think I can get the Classic shank with a wider bottom, but I think I'm going to ask for a slight taper if it's possible without compromising the structural integrity of the ring. If not, I'll still be happy with it as is. I'm just being really really picky at this point. :P2

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I’m with you, I like the taper! And I don’t usually prefer them.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Just noticed this. These are both Hayden Cudworth. They are the replicas, so maybe that's why they aren't perfect, but the prongs on the Iris are not totally symmetrical.

Here's the Classic. Looks pretty good.
IMG_20181018_000419.jpg

But then here's the Iris. Prongs look a little wonky, stick out farther than the Classic, and at different angles.
IMG_20181018_000314.jpg

Is this something I need to bring up to HC before ordering the setting, or is it just a sloppy setting for the replica rings? Is it my diamond setter who would control the symmetry of the prongs while setting it?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

@frogplus I really enjoyed following your search for your engagement ring. I am so excited for you and can’t wait to see your choice in setting and your diamond set in it! I hope you will be back after your boyfriend proposes and fills us in how he did! :lol:

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
@frogplus I really enjoyed following your search for your engagement ring. I am so excited for you and can’t wait to see your choice in setting and your diamond set in it! I hope you will be back after your boyfriend proposes and fills us in how he did! :lol:

I definitely will post a big update when it's official! So excited. I emailed HC to place the order tonight but no reply yet. Iris head with Classic shank, tapered at the center if possible, in 14k white gold. I also asked if they can send it to me without rhodium plating so I can see the natural color before I get it set. My jeweler said it will need to be replated anyway after setting so I may as well see what it looks like natural. Who knows, I might love the natural white gold color and decide not to plate it at all. I've really been loving my mom's ring today which has a very obvious yellow tint. And no plating means no need to keep replating as it wears away.

We'll see! You know I'll be updating every step of the way.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I definitely will post a big update when it's official! So excited. I emailed HC to place the order tonight but no reply yet. Iris head with Classic shank, tapered at the center if possible, in 14k white gold. I also asked if they can send it to me without rhodium plating so I can see the natural color before I get it set. My jeweler said it will need to be replated anyway after setting so I may as well see what it looks like natural. Who knows, I might love the natural white gold color and decide not to plate it at all. I've really been loving my mom's ring today which has a very obvious yellow tint. And no plating means no need to keep replating as it wears away.

We'll see! You know I'll be updating every step of the way.
:appl:

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
They did reply today after I sent a follow up email (because I'm the most annoying customer ever). The delay was because they are creating a custom listing on the website so I can order it that way. They will send it to me without rhodium plating so I can see the natural color before I get it set, and decide if I want it plated or not. Estimate is 10 business days after order is placed, so 2 weeks. Eagerly awaiting the listing so I can place the order and then begin the 2 week wait that will feel more like 2 years. :confused2:

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
They did reply today after I sent a follow up email (because I'm the most annoying customer ever). The delay was because they are creating a custom listing on the website so I can order it that way. They will send it to me without rhodium plating so I can see the natural color before I get it set, and decide if I want it plated or not. Estimate is 10 business days after order is placed, so 2 weeks. Eagerly awaiting the listing so I can place the order and then begin the 2 week wait that will feel more like 2 years. :confused2:

Awesome!!! I'm looking forward to what you think of the settings once the real one gets in! I'm so excited for you!

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Boyfriend ordered my setting! :mrgreen2::mrgreen2::mrgreen2:
Estimated to ship by 11/2, so I should have it the following week. I'll inspect it when it comes, and definitely post pictures of the empty setting, decide if I want it plated or not, and take it to the setter to have the diamond set. Then I won't see it again until bf is ready to propose! Fingers crossed that there are no issues!

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Estimated to ship by 11/2, so I should have it the following week. I'll inspect it when it comes, and definitely post pictures of the empty setting, decide if I want it plated or not, and take it to the setter to have the diamond set. Then I won't see it again until bf is ready to propose! Fingers crossed that there are no issues!

Yay!! Can't wait to see how it comes out!!!!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay! Way to go boyfriend! :lol-2:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Any updates? Did you get the setting? Okay..just saw it’s supposed to ship tomorrow...Can’t wait to see it!

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Any updates? Did you get the setting? Okay..just saw it’s supposed to ship tomorrow...Can’t wait to see it!

I've been patiently waiting and just trying to keep myself occupied. I ordered in the evening on Friday 10/19, so I'm not sure if 10 business days is this Friday or Monday, but I emailed them yesterday morning for a status update and he said he was expecting it back from the caster that day (yesterday). No update since then and I'm trying so hard not to be the most annoying customer ever so I haven't emailed back yet. If no shipping email by tomorrow afternoon, I might send another email, but they already told me they are not open on the weekends so if it's not shipped by tomorrow I'm just hoping it will ship Monday.

In the meantime I prepared by doing my first ever gel manicure at home last night! :D It didn't come out great and I'm not crazy about the color I picked but for the first attempt, it's not the worst!
IMG_20181031_225602.jpg

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I've been patiently waiting and just trying to keep myself occupied. I ordered in the evening on Friday 10/19, so I'm not sure if 10 business days is this Friday or Monday, but I emailed them yesterday morning for a status update and he said he was expecting it back from the caster that day (yesterday). No update since then and I'm trying so hard not to be the most annoying customer ever so I haven't emailed back yet. If no shipping email by tomorrow afternoon, I might send another email, but they already told me they are not open on the weekends so if it's not shipped by tomorrow I'm just hoping it will ship Monday.

In the meantime I prepared by doing my first ever gel manicure at home last night! :D It didn't come out great and I'm not crazy about the color I picked but for the first attempt, it's not the worst!
IMG_20181031_225602.jpg

Ooh exciting!! And it looks pretty decent to me! Way nicer than I would do!

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh exciting!! And it looks pretty decent to me! Way nicer than I would do!
Thanks! It definitely looks better in person but it needs another coat or two of color, and it shrunk away from the tips because I didn't wrap it around the tips, but other than that it's pretty clean. Might try adding another coat tonight or just remove it and start over.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks! It definitely looks better in person but it needs another coat or two of color, and it shrunk away from the tips because I didn't wrap it around the tips, but other than that it's pretty clean. Might try adding another coat tonight or just remove it and start over.
It looks great! I wish I had nice hands..I would wear nail polish...sometimes..:twisted2:
I recently ordered a moissanite ring...I was REALLY annoying... I changed my mind so many times.

Last edited:

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Got the shipping email! It's shipping through UPS and the tracking says delivery by Monday! Hopefully I'll be posting pictures Monday night!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Got the shipping email! It's shipping through UPS and the tracking says delivery by Monday! Hopefully I'll be posting pictures Monday night!
:appl:

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
It's here!

My semi-custom setting from Hayden Cudworth. Iris I head on Hayden Classic shank. First 3 pictures are just the empty setting, the next 3 are with my Lightbox diamond placed in it.
IMG_20181105_202641.jpg
IMG_20181105_202656.jpg
IMG_20181105_202605.jpg
IMG_20181105_203142.jpg
IMG_20181105_203120.jpg
IMG_20181105_203702.jpg

My first impression is that it's exactly what I was hoping for!

Upon closer inspection, the prongs don't seem to be perfectly symmetrical? I'm not sure how to describe it but you can kind of see in the close up pictures from the side and from above. I can barely tell when looking at it in person, I really only see it in the pictures, so I don't think it will bother me especially once I have my diamond set into it.

I almost wish the shank were even thinner, and tapered in more at the center, but it's already 2mm and I don't want to compromise structural integrity.

The color looks beautiful to me! I ordered it without rhodium plating knowing that I could either keep it natural or have it plated when I get the diamond set. It's much whiter than I expected. I'm going to wear it around the house a bit to see it in different lighting, but I think I might just keep the natural white gold and not plate it. I am all about low maintenance, so it would be great not to have the annual plating requirement, although I'm curious what kind of maintenance natural white gold will need. I assume it will need to be polished every so often to stay shiny?

Here it is compared to a cheap CZ ring I bought on Amazon for $9, plated with something white, it says white gold plated so I'm not sure exactly what it is. Just using it to compare the natural white gold to something very white. (Unplated on the left). It's a very subtle difference.
IMG_20181105_211858.jpg IMG_20181105_212106.jpg

I'm kicking myself for not getting the size 4.5 like I originally decided. I went with 4.75 because the 4.5 plastic sizer seemed to JUST fit and required a bit of force to get off. But the 4.75 slides right off without any resistance so I think it may be too big. On the other hand, it's very cold here right now and my fingers are cold, so perhaps this is the right size so that it will fit in the summer, and I just need to get those little plastic removable sizers to wear during the winter months. I'm thinking I will do that for now and decide if I need it resized after I've worn it through next summer. I don't think it's at risk of falling off, it's just easy to slide off.

So go ahead and tell me what you think! Do the prongs look okay even though they aren't perfect? Should I keep it natural or get it rhodium plated? What kind of maintenance will a natural white gold ring need to stay shiny? Is it possible to have a jeweler taper the shank towards the center? Anything else?

Attachments

• IMG_20181105_203702.jpg
    IMG_20181105_203702.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Ugh I keep looking at these pictures comparing the Hayden shank to the really thin shank on my cheap Amazon ring and wishing the Hayden shank looked like that. Especially with the smaller half carat diamond that I'll be putting in it, I just feel like the 2mm shank without taper is too thick... These pictures are from the replica so the stone was bigger, like .75 or 1 carat, can't remember.
IMG_20181017_230602.jpg
IMG_20181017_230613.jpg

Am I being crazy? Is it possible to modify this shank to be tapered like the cheap Amazon one? Should I ask Hayden Cudworth if they can do it or just ask the jeweler who is setting the diamond? I might use Jen Green who apparently is a really talented bench jeweler so I think I could trust her to do it right, if it's even possible. Ugh.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Hi frogpkus,

I am also exhausted and overwhelmed from reading this thread, lol.

Just adding my opinion ... I like the tapered look of the Amazon ring best as well, along with the very thin bands.

But here’s a thought - there is some taper in your Hayden Cudworth setting, and it’s obscured by the larger stone. Maybe with the .5, you’ll be able to see the taper ... in fact, I’m pretty sure I can see it in the picture where you dropped your stone into it ... that setting might give you the look you want after all.

Good luck!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ugh I keep looking at these pictures comparing the Hayden shank to the really thin shank on my cheap Amazon ring and wishing the Hayden shank looked like that. Especially with the smaller half carat diamond that I'll be putting in it, I just feel like the 2mm shank without taper is too thick... These pictures are from the replica so the stone was bigger, like .75 or 1 carat, can't remember.
IMG_20181017_230602.jpg
IMG_20181017_230613.jpg

Am I being crazy? Is it possible to modify this shank to be tapered like the cheap Amazon one? Should I ask Hayden Cudworth if they can do it or just ask the jeweler who is setting the diamond? I might use Jen Green who apparently is a really talented bench jeweler so I think I could trust her to do it right, if it's even possible. Ugh.
I think you should return it and start over. I wouldn’t have someone alter it..It would be very hard for them to do what you’re asking and it may look wonky afterwards. I would go to a jeweler with your Amazon ring and ask them if they could find one with one that’s close to those dimensions. The next thing which is probably the best is get a quote from David Klass to make you one just like the Amazon one and pay for whatever it costs. You would mail it to him...It would be worth it in the end.
I completely understand having a hard time making the decision. It’s an important purchase with sentiment behind it.

Last edited:

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_20181017_230602.jpg
IMG_20181017_230613.jpg

I like the setting. It’s nothing spectacular, but I like it. Have you thought about looking through Stullers inventory for something you’d like?

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I think you should return it and start over. I wouldn’t have someone alter it..It would be very hard for them to do what you’re asking and it may look wonky afterwards. I would go to a jeweler with your Amazon ring and ask them if they could find one with one that’s close to those dimensions. The next thing which is probably the best is get a quote from David Klass to make you one just like the Amazon one and pay for whatever it costs. You would mail it to him...It would be worth it in the end.
I completely understand having a hard time making the decision. It’s an important purchase with sentiment behind it.
I really don't want to start over but I think you're right. I need to either accept this ring as is, or get a new one that's exactly what I want. David Klass never returned my email from several weeks ago, but I might reach out to Tianyu.

I like the setting. It’s nothing spectacular, but I like it. Have you thought about looking through Stullers inventory for something you’d like?

Yes I tried Stuller but I need to see things in person. I tried very hard to sort through their inventory on the website but it was impossible. I even have a jeweler offer to order a few settings for me to look at but I've already had one jeweler ask me not to return because I didn't like the first setting she ordered, so now I'm hesitant to ask any jeweler to order anything for me without being certain.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results