shape
carat
color
clarity

Exhausted and overwhelmed.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t blame you for being hesitant after getting such awful customer service from the first jeweler. I would tell this new jeweler your reservations about having them bring settings in, and be upfront saying “I can’t make up my mind, and I don’t want to burn another bridge if I end up not going with any of the settings you bring in”. That way they have the option of telling you it wouldn’t be best to work together.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe you should go to every big jewelry store possible and have a look at what they have. If I could I would drive you myself! I truly believe that what you’re looking for would not be hard to find! Make a Saturday your mission to find it with your boyfriend. Go out to lunch with him in the middle of the day and keep going until you hit every jewelry store within an hour distance. Try to think of it as a fun hunt!

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe you should go to every big jewelry store possible and have a look at what they have. If I could I would drive you myself! I truly believe that what you’re looking for would not be hard to find! Make a Saturday your mission to find it with your boyfriend. Go out to lunch with him in the middle of the day and keep going until you hit every jewelry store within an hour distance. Try to think of it as a fun hunt!

I don't think any stores have what I want. I really want the Tiffany head but with claw prongs and a thinner tapered shank and no knife edge. Because I'm so particular, and stores don't ever have bands as thin as I really want, let alone this exact configuration, I think I need to just have it custom made.

I just put this together. Even though my Amazon ring is actually 1.5mm tapering to 1mm, I think that's too thin even though I love the look. I don't want platinum and I know the white gold will wear away over time and I want this ring to last a while, but I think tapering to 1.5mm will still give me that look.
Screenshot_20181106-075944.png
Do you see any glaring issues?

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think any stores have what I want. I really want the Tiffany head but with claw prongs and a thinner tapered shank and no knife edge. Because I'm so particular, and stores don't ever have bands as thin as I really want, let alone this exact configuration, I think I need to just have it custom made.

I just put this together. Even though my Amazon ring is actually 1.5mm tapering to 1mm, I think that's too thin even though I love the look. I don't want platinum and I know the white gold will wear away over time and I want this ring to last a while, but I think tapering to 1.5mm will still give me that look.
Screenshot_20181106-075944.png
Do you see any glaring issues?
That setting looks perfect.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
That setting looks perfect.

looks gorgeous to me!! Hopefully you can get it for a reasonable price!
I'm sorry your current setting didn't seem to work out. For what it's worth though I really liked it on your hand. I thought it was lovely!

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks! That's just the actual Tiffany ring with my alterations. I'm going to try calling David Klass today. He never responded to my email I sent on 10/11 so I assume they just didn't see it. I also emailed Tianyu. I think the price from David Klass will be 2-3 times more, but it might be worth it for me since I've been so indecisive and making decisions that I don't end up liking. I would be nervous designing the ring through Tianyu and not being able to get expert feedback about every little detail. Although I could probably just post the CADs here for advice.

Like for instance, if I did 2mm wide shank at the base, starting to taper to 1.8mm at 10:00 and 2:00, and ending up at 1.5mm at the stone, what height should the shank be at each point? Comfort fit or standard or something else? I need guidance for things like that, and I'm not sure if Tianyu offers that or not.

I'm not even sure if 1.5mm taper will be enough, but I'm nervous about the height getting too high the thinner I go.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks! That's just the actual Tiffany ring with my alterations. I'm going to try calling David Klass today. He never responded to my email I sent on 10/11 so I assume they just didn't see it. I also emailed Tianyu. I think the price from David Klass will be 2-3 times more, but it might be worth it for me since I've been so indecisive and making decisions that I don't end up liking. I would be nervous designing the ring through Tianyu and not being able to get expert feedback about every little detail. Although I could probably just post the CADs here for advice.

Like for instance, if I did 2mm wide shank at the base, starting to taper to 1.8mm at 10:00 and 2:00, and ending up at 1.5mm at the stone, what height should the shank be at each point? Comfort fit or standard or something else? I need guidance for things like that, and I'm not sure if Tianyu offers that or not.

I'm not even sure if 1.5mm taper will be enough, but I'm nervous about the height getting too high the thinner I go.

FWIW, I got a quote on a pretty simple 14k WG solitaire from DK a few months ago and you’re right on the money. 2-3x the $250 that you paid for the HC. In the end to have exactly what you want I’d say the extra $400 or so is worth it. If it were thousands, I’d hesitate, but that’s just not eating out on weekends for a couple months or making coffee at home instead of paying $5/cup at the local joint. I’d do that all day as opposed to not loving something I have to stare at 24/7. That’s just my .02!

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From my experience with him, DK doesn't give tons of feedback. Either vendor you go to, you should probably just post CADs here and let PSers weight in.

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
Can anybody weigh in on whether a taper to 1mm is actually problematic? If it's a knife edge shank, it will still be tall, and the actual section of the shank that is 1mm would actually be very small.

It just seems that OP really likes the look of that Amazon setting, and if there's no problem structurally, she shouldn't have to sacrifice!

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I agree 100% with that! He’s not a designer. I asked for help with mine and didn’t get the response I expected, and that’s ok, you just have to go in knowing their limits. I agree with a PP that it’s a great idea to just send him the Amazon setting and have him replicate it if that’s what the OP loves. Either that or send the marked up Tiffany photo and have PSers advise.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
FWIW, I got a quote on a pretty simple 14k WG solitaire from DK a few months ago and you’re right on the money. 2-3x the $250 that you paid for the HC. In the end to have exactly what you want I’d say the extra $400 or so is worth it. If it were thousands, I’d hesitate, but that’s just not eating out on weekends for a couple months or making coffee at home instead of paying $5/cup at the local joint. I’d do that all day as opposed to not loving something I have to stare at 24/7. That’s just my .02!
I think you were the one that told me about that before, and that's why I initially emailed him knowing I might be able to get this setting for about $600 which was our original setting budget.

From my experience with him, DK doesn't give tons of feedback. Either vendor you go to, you should probably just post CADs here and let PSers weight in.

Oh that's really really good to know. I might not be willing to pay the premium if it won't come with that design hand holding I kind of need. Even though I know his work will be top, I might prefer to save money and go with Tianyu.

Can anybody weigh in on whether a taper to 1mm is actually problematic? If it's a knife edge shank, it will still be tall, and the actual section of the shank that is 1mm would actually be very small.

It just seems that OP really likes the look of that Amazon setting, and if there's no problem structurally, she shouldn't have to sacrifice!

I don't want knife edge but I know it will need to be higher where it gets thinner, and I'm having a hard time picturing it. I do really love that Amazon setting, just the shank though. I still want the Tiffany head on it with claw prongs. And the Amazon shank gets so thin at the stone but doesn't get very high, which I assume would be problematic long term.

I agree 100% with that! He’s not a designer. I asked for help with mine and didn’t get the response I expected, and that’s ok, you just have to go in knowing their limits. I agree with a PP that it’s a great idea to just send him the Amazon setting and have him replicate it if that’s what the OP loves. Either that or send the marked up Tiffany photo and have PSers advise.

Thank you! I'm so glad I mentioned it, now I'm thinking I'd rather go with Tianyu if DK won't really hold my hand through the design process anyway.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
1mm will definitely be too thin..Your setting could crack with just everyday wear.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I think you were the one that told me about that before, and that's why I initially emailed him knowing I might be able to get this setting for about $600 which was our original setting budget.

Oh that's really really good to know. I might not be willing to pay the premium if it won't come with that design hand holding I kind of need. Even though I know his work will be top, I might prefer to save money and go with Tianyu.

I don't want knife edge but I know it will need to be higher where it gets thinner, and I'm having a hard time picturing it. I do really love that Amazon setting, just the shank though. I still want the Tiffany head on it with claw prongs. And the Amazon shank gets so thin at the stone but doesn't get very high, which I assume would be problematic long term.

Thank you! I'm so glad I mentioned it, now I'm thinking I'd rather go with Tianyu if DK won't really hold my hand through the design process anyway.

If you know what you want, he’s great. You have to guide him though and he’ll make any changes you want. My design is completely out of my brain and a mash up of tons of different designs I sent him. Where you’re taking elements from different settings it won’t be a difficult process. You won’t get the design help from Tianyu either, so if you prefer to save the money it might be the right choice for you. Just make sure you get measurements at every point on the CADs because I’m sure you’ve read the threads where people are having issues with them being too thick. I don’t think StarsGem has had the same problem. The only reason I didn’t have them create my ring is because I knew I’d have lots of changes and tweaks along the way and the Chinese companies aren’t thrilled when you do that. If it’s major changes, they charge you additional CAD fees if a new one needs to be created. Tianyu at least does. I wasn’t about to open up that can of worms. Lol. I think I had 8 total from DK :oops2:

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Also, I got a quote from Tianyu for an 8mm GH H&A center 14k WG solitaire and I believe it was $420 total. The center stone is included in that, and probably valued at about $100 or so. Just to give you a ballpark. That was a Tiffany style head with no knife edge, no cathedral shoulders and no taper with a 1.5mm band.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Show DK the photo of the Tiffany setting you like, then tell him that you don’t want a knife edge... and that you’d like delicate claw prongs. I do feel you need the band to taper at the basket though.

Here are some solis David has done... include what you like/don’t like as well, then post CADs once you get them.

EBFA0808-A729-4ADB-B834-5F8587993A18.jpeg A889C59F-FBD9-4C6B-8B5A-9A0686164D4E.jpeg 50FCA6EB-B995-4123-B220-7B7268029178.jpeg EE50B028-FE05-4A25-B24F-A8C5769D8D81.jpeg D259C0C5-1148-48A3-935E-F5216117BF8E.jpeg 06184A63-CB63-453C-972F-6B3F85E01B0A.jpeg

Attachments

• E52DA189-98BC-41AB-9F7F-8121A68454D5.jpeg
    E52DA189-98BC-41AB-9F7F-8121A68454D5.jpeg
    71.6 KB · Views: 24

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one was actually mine (no longer have it). For reference it is holding a .4ct stone and was sized to a 7.5 I believe (I can dig up the CADs if I need to).

I really love this solitaire. It's sleek, understated, classy, and timeless. I'd love to see CADs! :) I think this would lend itself well to the OP's stone.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are the CADs for that ring.
35475.jpg
For whatever reason, the head on that ring always bugged me a bit but I couldn't put my finger on why. I ended up doing this one last month (of course it doesn't have the taper and is a knife edge) and LOVE the head on it. Only problem is the stone is a .9ct, so I'm not sure how that would translate if it was sized to hold a .5ct.
45993-quad.jpg

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely have a type, don't I? LOL

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
35475.jpg
For whatever reason, the head on that ring always bugged me a bit but I couldn't put my finger on why. I ended up doing this one last month (of course it doesn't have the taper and is a knife edge) and LOVE the head on it. Only problem is the stone is a .9ct, so I'm not sure how that would translate if it was sized to hold a .5ct.
45993-quad.jpg

I think this would be perfect for the OP... soften the knife edge and give a gradual taper... BOOM.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this would be perfect for the OP... soften the knife edge and give a gradual taper... BOOM.
With the smaller one you have to be careful up at the top of the taper. It almost has to go to a knife edge the last of the way to make it thick enough that the small width keeps it structurally secure still.

I should note- I had this made in platinum. DK advised that it may be too thin but I'm not hard on my rings, at all. So I took that risk.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is what I suggest. Keep this one and sit on it for like a year. I did this with my asscher—had a stock blue Nile 4 prong setting with BLOB prongs and the setting was completely uninspired.

I sat in it for 4 years and then decided to spent a good chunk of money and went with CVB Inspired Design and Caysie made me the most perfect setting that fills my heart with joy.

Take a break and sit on it.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with both of you. It’s my pick! I think a lot of the other bands would overwhelm the center stone.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think you mentioned possibly getting a diamond wedding band to go with your solitaire? If you're going to start over, you might want to consider making sure that the engagement ring prongs start high enough up that the diamond band won't eat into them. Some Pricescopers have had that problem.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With the smaller one you have to be careful up at the top of the taper. It almost has to go to a knife edge the last of the way to make it thick enough that the small width keeps it structurally secure still.

I should note- I had this made in platinum. DK advised that it may be too thin but I'm not hard on my rings, at all. So I took that risk.

I agree... but it doesn't necessarily have to be the sharp knife edge that most associate with it. The softened knife edge looks pretty flat.

MelloYello8

Shiny_Rock
Has anyone actually had a gold ring crack from being too thin? I think I’m pretty hard on my rings and had never had any issues. My wedding band is 1mm thick around and sits flush against my er that is 1.5mm thick around. Both in palladium alloy 14k white gold. I’ve gone scrambling, rowing, let my baby use it as a teether (while still on my finger).Not a dent. I bet a 1mm taper will be fine, especially since it’ll be stacked with a wedding band soon enough.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
1mm will definitely be too thin..Your setting could crack with just everyday wear.

That's what I'm worried about. She should I stick with 1.5 at the thinnest point of the taper? 1.3? What's the minimum and and is there something else I can do to get that same look while keeping structural integrity?

If you know what you want, he’s great. You have to guide him though and he’ll make any changes you want. My design is completely out of my brain and a mash up of tons of different designs I sent him. Where you’re taking elements from different settings it won’t be a difficult process. You won’t get the design help from Tianyu either, so if you prefer to save the money it might be the right choice for you. Just make sure you get measurements at every point on the CADs because I’m sure you’ve read the threads where people are having issues with them being too thick. I don’t think StarsGem has had the same problem. The only reason I didn’t have them create my ring is because I knew I’d have lots of changes and tweaks along the way and the Chinese companies aren’t thrilled when you do that. If it’s major changes, they charge you additional CAD fees if a new one needs to be created. Tianyu at least does. I wasn’t about to open up that can of worms. Lol. I think I had 8 total from DK :oops2:

Oh wow, I did not know that Tianyu and Starsgem charger for every tweak to the CAD. I will probably have a few changes, unless I can basically take one of the CADs here, make all the alterations with the help of you guys, and then just submit it and say "do this."

Also, I got a quote from Tianyu for an 8mm GH H&A center 14k WG solitaire and I believe it was $420 total. The center stone is included in that, and probably valued at about $100 or so. Just to give you a ballpark. That was a Tiffany style head with no knife edge, no cathedral shoulders and no taper with a 1.5mm band.

Yeah I'm expecting around $250. There's someone over on WB that just had a similar ring done by Tianyu and said the setting was about $250 in 14k wg.

As I posted before... DK has done exactly what you're describing that you want... just have him do it without the knife edge.

Maybe that's the best option. I'll just be really miserable if I pay that premium and don't love it at the end. Easier to stomach it not being perfect if it's $250 rather than $600.

Show DK the photo of the Tiffany setting you like, then tell him that you don’t want a knife edge... and that you’d like delicate claw prongs. I do feel you need the band to taper at the basket though.

Here are some solis David has done... include what you like/don’t like as well, then post CADs once you get them.

EBFA0808-A729-4ADB-B834-5F8587993A18.jpeg A889C59F-FBD9-4C6B-8B5A-9A0686164D4E.jpeg 50FCA6EB-B995-4123-B220-7B7268029178.jpeg EE50B028-FE05-4A25-B24F-A8C5769D8D81.jpeg D259C0C5-1148-48A3-935E-F5216117BF8E.jpeg 06184A63-CB63-453C-972F-6B3F85E01B0A.jpeg

I love love love that last one, but I feel that the head looks a little small? Like it should be taller? Although I'm mostly seeing that in the CAD, the actual ring looks better. I'm curious how it would look with a .5 and sized for 4.75.

35475.jpg
45993-quad.jpg

I love this one too. Can you share the glamour shots of that one so I can compare between the two? I think something like these ones would be very close to what I need, but with a taper.

I'm ok with knife edge where it tapers, I think? I just don't really like it for the whole ring, or even the part you can see from above.

This is what I suggest. Keep this one and sit on it for like a year. I did this with my asscher—had a stock blue Nile 4 prong setting with BLOB prongs and the setting was completely uninspired.

I sat in it for 4 years and then decided to spent a good chunk of money and went with CVB Inspired Design and Caysie made me the most perfect setting that fills my heart with joy.

Take a break and sit on it.

I thought about that but I just feel like NOW is the time that I want to be excited about it and feel like it's perfect, when I'm going to be showing it off to everyone.

I think you mentioned possibly getting a diamond wedding band to go with your solitaire? If you're going to start over, you might want to consider making sure that the engagement ring prongs start high enough up that the diamond band won't eat into them. Some Pricescopers have had that problem.

I haven't decided what band to get, maybe small 5 stone or half eternity pave. Basically I just want a little bling to contact with the plain band on the e-ring. But I think it's too much for me to also start considering how the band will sit. I'm already overwhelmed. I think I'm just going to get the e-ring I love and deal with finding a band to match later. I don't mind a gap.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@frogplus you are correct that the head of the .4ct sits very low as that was by design.

Here is the finished product on the .9ct.
IMG_1070.PNG IMG_1068.PNG IMG_1067.PNG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results