shape
carat
color
clarity

Exhausted and overwhelmed.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't really like the knife edge look, and I don't like when the band is higher than it is thick.

Thanks, I'll try wearing that ring tonight and see what happens.

i'm not a fan of knife edge either but if you want a really thin band you might need some height to compensate, here is a thread that may help if you haven't seen it...your jeweler should be able to help you figure out the right balance to get the look you want.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/are-rings-too-thin-these-days.155780/

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't really like the knife edge look, and I don't
like when the band is higher than it is thick.

Okaaaay... I've never seen one that was higher than it was thick. LOL
So don't get a knife edge, but if you want it to be thinner, you'll need a little height. I would still contact David Klass for a quote. He can do the Tiffany head the way you like. He's done it several times - just look at his IG. His would look nicer than the stock ones posted.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...from what I've seen in person even 2mm is too wide for me. I'm not sure how thin is safe to go but maybe somewhere between 1.5 and 1.8mm. And if the shank is on the higher end of that, I really would love a taper towards the stone. With the half carat, all of those things really make it pop.

So here's my CAD... 2.2 at the bottom, 2.0.. at 3:00 and 9:00, and tapers to 1.6mm where it meets the basket... is this not what you were describing above?
CVB Soli CAD Grid Combo.jpg

And here's a photo so you can see the taper from above. Notice the knife edge softens before sides where the fingers touch...
CVB Soli Rx Lab Coat.jpg CVB Soli Stack_1.jpg

Attachments

• CVB Soli Glamour 1.jpg
    CVB Soli Glamour 1.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
So here's my CAD... 2.2 at the bottom, 2.0.. at 3:00 and 9:00, and tapers to 1.6mm where it meets the basket... is this not what you were describing above?
CVB Soli CAD Grid Combo.jpg

And here's a photo so you can see the taper from above. Notice the knife edge softens before sides where the fingers touch...
CVB Soli Rx Lab Coat.jpg CVB Soli Stack_1.jpg
Love it! So pretty!

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Hayden Cudworth try-at-home rings arrived!

Hayden I: 2mm avg band width, $205 WG
https://haydencudworth.com/shop/engagement-rings/hayden-classic-i.html?___SID=U
IMG_20181017_160007.jpg
IMG_20181017_160011.jpg
IMG_20181017_160014.jpg
Iris I: 2.2mm avg band width, $250 WG
https://haydencudworth.com/shop/engagement-rings/iris-i.html?___SID=U
IMG_20181017_155816.jpg
IMG_20181017_155916.jpg
IMG_20181017_155834.jpg
Unfortunately there's not a clear winner here. I was really hoping the Iris would be perfect. I do love the head, it's not an exact Tiffany head but it has the little opening at the bottom that I like. But the shank has a pretty obvious knife edge which I don't love, and it's about 3mm thick, not 2.2mm like the website says.

The band on the Hayden is perfect, it measures 2mm like the website says, and on my finger I think it's the perfect size. I like the head, it's a simple 6 prong, but I think I like the Iris head slightly better.

I'm going to contact Hayden Cudworth and ask if the band width would be thinner on the Iris when it's made for a smaller stone, or if they can explain why the band on the replica is 3mm if the website says 2.2mm. The stone in the Iris is definitely bigger than the Hayden so I'm hoping the band width will scale down and the Iris band will actually be perfect when made for my half carat. If so, then I just need to decide if I really hate that knife edge or not. I'm 99% sure they can't customize it to soften the knife edge, but maybe a local jeweler could do that if I really hate it. It's $250 for the Iris, setting fee will be about $50, so even if it's another $50 to soften the knife edge, I'm still at a total of $350 which is great.

My other options at this point are the Eternity by Yoni ($600 plus $50 setting fee), BGD and Whiteflash (both $850 plus $50 setting fee) MWM Sunburst with slim petite band ($1150 for plat or his 19k no plating WG).

Thoughts, opinions, advice welcome!

Attachments

• IMG_20181017_160014.jpg
    IMG_20181017_160014.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20181017_160007.jpg
    IMG_20181017_160007.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20181017_160011.jpg
    IMG_20181017_160011.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 20

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're even considering spending $650+ on your setting, then why not get a quote from David Klass?? He's done some great six prong solis... Here are a few:
413637-375d6168d4007210b04b4a0a94240062.jpg

...and I thought this is the one you'd like best, because it looks like Tiffany without the sharp knife edge.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with @msop04 if you plan on spending more than either of the HC’s, I’d go custom and get exactly what you want. The price difference will most likely be negligible. Probably save you some money over BGD, WF or MWM options, actually.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tiffany:

DK:

I actually prefer the DK version...

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with @msop04 if you plan on spending more than either of the HC’s, I’d go custom and get exactly what you want. The price difference will most likely be negligible. Probably save you some money over BGD, WF or MWM options, actually.

This... don't like the thicker shank? No biggie - he can change it. Want more height on the basket? Done. It's that easy. And you don't pay until you're happy with it. DK gives great customer service.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I emailed David Klass on 10/11 and haven't heard back yet.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
It's funny, looking at those pictures of the Tiffany and DK rings, I think I actually prefer the HC Iris head. It looks like a little flower hugging the diamond.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Just putting these here because I took the picture and wanted to share. These are the engagement rings from HC and Miadonna.
1- MD Classique
2- HC Iris
3- MD Traditional
4- HC Hayden Classic
Screenshot_20181017-165740.png Screenshot_20181017-165729.png

Last edited:

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Hadyen (#1 in above pic?) looks the best to me. Nice price too.

Just a heads-up that the Eternity By Yogi ring I showed you has a knife edge. I'm sure he has other models too, but wanted to make sure you knew that

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Just putting these here because I took the picture and wanted to share. These are the engagement rings from HC and Miadonna.
1- HC Hayden
2- MD Traditional
3- HC Iris
4- MD Classique
Screenshot_20181017-165740.png Screenshot_20181017-165729.png

I think you may have numbered these the wrong way?

Number 4 and 2 look best to me. Can you ask if you have the head of the Iris put on the shank of the Hayden? That seems like the simplest option rather than giving instructions about modifying the shank of the Iris,

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's funny, looking at those pictures of the Tiffany and DK rings, I think I actually prefer the HC Iris head. It looks like a little flower hugging the diamond.

Okay, so you want a four prong?

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Ahh sorry, I don't know what happened there. They were all wrong but I just fixed the original comment.

1- MD Classique
2- HC Iris
3- MD Traditional
4- HC Hayden Classic

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
The Hadyen (#1 in above pic?) looks the best to me. Nice price too.

Just a heads-up that the Eternity By Yogi ring I showed you has a knife edge. I'm sure he has other models too, but wanted to make sure you knew that

#1 is actually my least favorite I think! Good to know that the Yoni ring has knife edge. I think I'm ok with a little knife edge, but this one is very severe to me.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I think you may have numbered these the wrong way?

Number 4 and 2 look best to me. Can you ask if you have the head of the Iris put on the shank of the Hayden? That seems like the simplest option rather than giving instructions about modifying the shank of the Iris,

I did and they already got back to me! They said they can't soften the knife edge on the Iris shank, but they can put the Iris head on the classic shank for an assembly fee, waiting to hear back what the fee is.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I'm a little concerned about how the Iris head will look on the classic shank if I go that route. The Iris head is wider than the classic head. It seems like it needs a wider shank to connect to?
Here they are next to each other. Iris on the left.
IMG_20181017_172922.jpg

Last edited:

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
If you aren’t going custom, I like head 2 on shank 4 personally. I don’t care for knife edge and I prefer a thinner shank.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe they would have to modify with a donut?

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe they would have to modify with a donut?
Ok, yeah that would be fine. I really do love that head, I just want it on the thinner round shank. I'm so surprised he said they can do it! Hoping the assembly isn't too much. Maybe they can even just send the head and shank separately and I'll have my jeweler who's going to set the stone do the whole thing. Bad idea?

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, yeah that would be fine. I really do love that head, I just want it on the thinner round shank. I'm so surprised he said they can do it! Hoping the assembly isn't too much. Maybe they can even just send the head and shank separately and I'll have my jeweler who's going to set the stone do the whole thing. Bad idea?

Much easier for them to do it. They’re the manufacturer, it shouldn’t be a problem.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Much easier for them to do it. They’re the manufacturer, it shouldn’t be a problem.

Ok thank you! OMG, I'm so excited. I think I may have found my setting. Will update when I hear back from HC. I can't believe my total price for this ring might actually end up being well under $1k.

Good thing too because I think I really like the look of the blingy 5 stone wedding bands LOL.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I think I'm going to pee my pants I'm so excited. I just heard back from HC:

"I don't foresee any issues connecting the shank to the prongs (with many rings they are two separate components). There are variables, for example, the prongs on the Iris, doesn't go all the way down to the shank, there's a bit of a lip. The Hayden prongs, go all the way down. Additional cost would be $50.

If you aren't happy, we'll take it back."

I think I need to sleep on it considering how flip floppy I've been through all of this, but I think this is what I'm going to do. If it's not right, he says I can return it.

Guys. GUYS. Is this ring shopping nightmare finally over? :lol: I'm crying again!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a little concerned about how the Iris head will look on the classic shank if I go that route. The Iris head is wider than the classic head. It seems like it needs a wider shank to connect to?
Here they are next to each other. Iris on the left.
IMG_20181017_172922.jpg

I like the Iris head the best as well... just be aware that it's wider because the stone is larger. It will not be as open with a smaller stone.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I like the Iris head the best as well... just be aware that it's wider because the stone is larger. It will not be as open with a smaller stone.
That's actually good because the size of it now might look like a bobblehead on the smaller shank. I just hope it doesn't look too high with a smaller/thinner head. Maybe I should ask them to try to keep the proportions the same and set it low? I'm not even sure if that's possible? If I get it and the head looks really high, could my jeweler who sets the stone just like, shorten the prongs so it doesn't sit too high?

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I think I'm going to pee my pants I'm so excited. I just heard back from HC:

"I don't foresee any issues connecting the shank to the prongs (with many rings they are two separate components). There are variables, for example, the prongs on the Iris, doesn't go all the way down to the shank, there's a bit of a lip. The Hayden prongs, go all the way down. Additional cost would be $50.

If you aren't happy, we'll take it back."

I think I need to sleep on it considering how flip floppy I've been through all of this, but I think this is what I'm going to do. If it's not right, he says I can return it.

Guys. GUYS. Is this ring shopping nightmare finally over? :lol: I'm crying again!
Wow those settings look better than I was expecting. If you end up going with them I am so curious about how it turns out!! Them not having a place where they show completed rings turned me off of them. But this doesn't look bad at all. Do they feel sturdy?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results