shape
carat
color
clarity

Exhausted and overwhelmed.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
This might be a really dumb question but when a diamond is set in this setting, would these prongs be blobs or claw prongs? How exactly does the diamond get set? Does the setter fold the prong down or what?
IMG_20181106_201628.jpg
I'm wearing this around the house and thinking I might keep it. It's growing on me. But I'm wondering if the prongs will be claw like I wanted.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's awesome that it's growing on you! Just specify to the jewelry you want claw prongs and they will shave them down. (just make sure it is a jeweler that can do claws!)

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
DK will do $600 if it's one he's already made, $700 for a new design. He said I can look through his Facebook and Instagram, but it will be hard to tell without seeing CADs and not knowing the mm sizes of the shank since that's kind of my sticking point. Probably worth it for me to just pay the $700 for custom design if I'm going to go with DK. Both prices are for the 14k palladium white gold.

I'm actually leaning towards keeping the Hayden ring. I stopped looking at it through the camera lens and started looking at it just in real life. Looking at myself in the mirror, holding things, petting the cat, just doing normal stuff and watching my hand lol. In real life I think it's lovely, it's the close up photos that make me pick it apart.

Maybe this is a good lesson for me to stop being so controlling and just be happy with what I have. It represents my upcoming marriage and that's what's important. I love a bargain, and it's pretty close to exactly what I wanted for only $255 ($300 set). I think paying $700, more than double the cost of the Hayden ring, for these tiny changes... it's just not in line with my personal thoughts on money.

I'll sleep on it and talk to boyfriend. If I go with this one I will get it rhodium plated, and I might ask the jeweler who sets it if they can shave down the shoulders a tiny bit to give it a little bit of a taper. But if it's not possible or not recommended, I think I'll still be happy with this ring if I just stop obsessing. And soon I'll have plenty of other wedding planning things to obsess about anyway!

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
DK will do $600 if it's one he's already made, $700 for a new design. He said I can look through his Facebook and Instagram, but it will be hard to tell without seeing CADs and not knowing the mm sizes of the shank since that's kind of my sticking point. Probably worth it for me to just pay the $700 for custom design if I'm going to go with DK. Both prices are for the 14k palladium white gold.

I'm actually leaning towards keeping the Hayden ring. I stopped looking at it through the camera lens and started looking at it just in real life. Looking at myself in the mirror, holding things, petting the cat, just doing normal stuff and watching my hand lol. In real life I think it's lovely, it's the close up photos that make me pick it apart.

Maybe this is a good lesson for me to stop being so controlling and just be happy with what I have. It represents my upcoming marriage and that's what's important. I love a bargain, and it's pretty close to exactly what I wanted for only $255 ($300 set). I think paying $700, more than double the cost of the Hayden ring, for these tiny changes... it's just not in line with my personal thoughts on money.

I'll sleep on it and talk to boyfriend. If I go with this one I will get it rhodium plated, and I might ask the jeweler who sets it if they can shave down the shoulders a tiny bit to give it a little bit of a taper. But if it's not possible or not recommended, I think I'll still be happy with this ring if I just stop obsessing. And soon I'll have plenty of other wedding planning things to obsess about anyway!

I think sleeping on it is a great idea! Maybe wear it around some more tomorrow as well. And definitely keep it camera off it!! I only take pictures sometimes because mine never ever look nice lmao. It makes my poor little set look like poop.

I can understand the obsessing though. I did a ton of that about my e ring while I was engaged. Just kind of tapered off once I got married and my stress levels went down. I still obsess a little I admit lol. I love to keep it clean and in good order but I tend to think more about my 2.5 future ring projects than about my engagement ring since it is done and never ever getting messed with according to my husband.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I've been wearing it around the house, sleeping in it, and actually got to the point where I was starting to love it. My plan was to take it in to be set and if the shank could be thinned, great, otherwise I would be happy with it as is. I took it to a really popular jeweler here in Philly, Henri at Halloween Jewelry, and asked if he thought the shank could be thinned a little. He knew exactly what I wanted and said he can definitely thin it out while keeping it strong. I 100% trust him to do a great job so I'm leaving it in his hands. I mentioned that I don't want blob prongs; he said I shouldn't get sharp prongs because they'll snag on everything but he'll make sure they don't look like blobs. I also showed him the ring on my finger and he said it was way too big. I thought it might be but I wasn't sure how it was supposed to fit. I ordered it in 4.75 and he put me in a 4. I was a little nervous it would be too small but he said it's easy to size up if I need to, and he thought the 4 fit right.

So the setting and diamond are officially dropped off and should be ready early next week. My boyfriend will get the call when it's ready and I won't see it again until he proposes! :mrgreen2:

This is the end of my engagement ring journey! It's out of my hands now. I started out wanting to find the lowest price on a "white and sparkly" diamond, "white gold ring with 6 prong solitaire setting, 0.5-.75 ct diamond. Low profile. Would like the band to be relatively thin." I wanted to find both engagement and wedding ring for $1000-2000.

I'm waiting to get the wedding band, but I ended up with the most gorgeous "white and sparkly" 0.5 carat lab diamond and the perfect thin 6 prong white gold setting for a grand total of $825 including the setting fee! In the beginning I was going to pay for the whole thing, but after I bought the diamond, boyfriend paid for the rest. We both feel better that we shared the cost.

It's been a long 3.5 months, there have been tears and confusion and excitement, and I've enjoyed it overall. I don't know where I'd be without this extremely knowledgeable and supportive community, so from the bottom of my heart, thank you. :roll2::cry2::kiss2:

I'll definitely be back with photos of the finished ring, hopefully he won't make me wait too long! :lol-2:

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so excited for you! He better not keep us all waiting too long :twisted2:

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I truly hope this man is capable of making your dreams come true ... please let us know how the proposal goes and post pictures of your final ring!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m so happy for you! We expect lots of pictures with it on your finger! I feel like we rode the roller coaster with you and it was a fun ride! I’m hoping your boyfriend makes it a wonderful proposal but no matter how he does it..the sentiment is there so enjoy it! After your boyfriend proposes we should all tell how our significant other proposed. Mine wasn’t romantic but HE thought it was so that’s really what counts. If your boyfriend tries to do it right for you then it’s perfect! :kiss2:

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I've been wearing it around the house, sleeping in it, and actually got to the point where I was starting to love it. My plan was to take it in to be set and if the shank could be thinned, great, otherwise I would be happy with it as is. I took it to a really popular jeweler here in Philly, Henri at Halloween Jewelry, and asked if he thought the shank could be thinned a little. He knew exactly what I wanted and said he can definitely thin it out while keeping it strong. I 100% trust him to do a great job so I'm leaving it in his hands. I mentioned that I don't want blob prongs; he said I shouldn't get sharp prongs because they'll snag on everything but he'll make sure they don't look like blobs. I also showed him the ring on my finger and he said it was way too big. I thought it might be but I wasn't sure how it was supposed to fit. I ordered it in 4.75 and he put me in a 4. I was a little nervous it would be too small but he said it's easy to size up if I need to, and he thought the 4 fit right.

So the setting and diamond are officially dropped off and should be ready early next week. My boyfriend will get the call when it's ready and I won't see it again until he proposes! :mrgreen2:

This is the end of my engagement ring journey! It's out of my hands now. I started out wanting to find the lowest price on a "white and sparkly" diamond, "white gold ring with 6 prong solitaire setting, 0.5-.75 ct diamond. Low profile. Would like the band to be relatively thin." I wanted to find both engagement and wedding ring for $1000-2000.

I'm waiting to get the wedding band, but I ended up with the most gorgeous "white and sparkly" 0.5 carat lab diamond and the perfect thin 6 prong white gold setting for a grand total of $825 including the setting fee! In the beginning I was going to pay for the whole thing, but after I bought the diamond, boyfriend paid for the rest. We both feel better that we shared the cost.

It's been a long 3.5 months, there have been tears and confusion and excitement, and I've enjoyed it overall. I don't know where I'd be without this extremely knowledgeable and supportive community, so from the bottom of my heart, thank you. :roll2::cry2::kiss2:

I'll definitely be back with photos of the finished ring, hopefully he won't make me wait too long! :lol-2:

Yay!!! Yay!! I can't wait!!! I'm on pins and needles lol

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I truly hope this man is capable of making your dreams come true ... please let us know how the proposal goes and post pictures of your final ring!

He's already made all my dreams come true. It's so sappy but seriously, I almost can't believe how happy we are together. We've been dating almost 3 years, living together a year and a half, and I'm still wondering when the honeymoon period is going to end and I'll stop getting butterflies around him. :kiss2: No matter what he does to propose, I'm going to be the happiest girl in the world.

I’m so happy for you! We expect lots of pictures with it on your finger! I feel like we rode the roller coaster with you and it was a fun ride! I’m hoping your boyfriend makes it a wonderful proposal but no matter how he does it..the sentiment is there so enjoy it! After your boyfriend proposes we should all tell how our significant other proposed. Mine wasn’t romantic but HE thought it was so that’s really what counts. If your boyfriend tries to do it right for you then it’s perfect! :kiss2:

Thank you! I feel like you guys have been right here with me the whole time too. I really can't imagine how I would have done this without you. That's a great idea to share stories! I'm a sucker for a good proposal story lol.

I’ve heard great things about them. Can’t wait to see the result!

I actually assumed they wouldn't do the setting job since they're so popular and busy, I figured they would have that policy of only working on their own settings. But I called on a whim and asked and they were like, yep we do that. I was so surprised! Once I knew they would do it, it was a no brainer. Dropped it off the next day.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
In this scenario would it be customary/expected to tip the jeweler? Like $5-10?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
In this scenario would it be customary/expected to tip the jeweler? Like $5-10?
No..They are professionals...You don’t tip them. Verbally thanking them for a beautiful job would be definitely appreciated!

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
No I don't tip but I totally agree that a nice review online and in person comment would probably be appreciated! I still tell my jeweller how much I love my engagement ring whenever we see her.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
No..They are professionals...You don’t tip them. Verbally thanking them for a beautiful job would be definitely appreciated!
Ok thanks! I'm always surprised which professionals expect tips and which don't and didn't want to accidentally be rude if it was customary!

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don’t tip my jewelers. One time, though! One time I did give a $50 gift card for a neighborhood lunch spot and a note to the office that lunch was on me! I was so happy about a special custom job. A simple diamond band, but it was perfectly done and I’m still thrilled with it, 15 years later!

I have had many jobs over the years and that was my only “tip.” A positive online review would be very much appreciated, I’m sure!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to give my local jeweler (before we moved) a bottle of wine periodically as a thank-you ‘tip’. I don’t think it would be at all expected though.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I'm engaged!!! :kiss2:

Scroll down for short story. Here's the long version. Boyfriend had texted me earlier in the day while I was at work asking if I wanted to go to happy hour. After work I called him to see what the plan was and he said people had backed out so he was just going home and we would have a quiet night in. I always love quiet nights in so I was happy to go home.

I walk in the door and the stereo is playing love songs, candles lit, the house is very clean, and there's a note with my name on it. I immediately knew what was happening and started to cry. This begins a scavenger hunt throughout the house. This house is really important in our relationship; we bought it almost two years ago and we've been tearing it down and renovating it little by little while we live here, so it was really sweet to be guided through the house, reminded of every little project we've done together so far. The scavenger hunt culminated in figuring out a password which I needed to use to open the bedroom door, where he was waiting, in a suit, tealight candles on every single surface, streamers hanging from the ceiling. He got down on one knee, said some sweet things, and asked the big question. I don't even remember what he said because I was crying the whole time but I know I said YES!

So we cry and hug and laugh and cry for a while, go downstairs and have some champagne. He tells me we have dinner reservations in about an hour and suggests that we should just celebrate the two of us tonight, don't call anyone, just be together for one night before the whirlwind begins. But he said it's a nice place so get dressed up. We get ready, walk over to the restaurant, get to the table and he says "wait, I think they put us at the wrong table." I turn around and see through a door into another room and my dad is standing there with a video camera. I was so confused, I walked over slowly and as soon as I walked in the room everyone EXPLODED! Noise makers and screaming and clapping. My best friend was there from out of state, she was just home for Christmas but flew back 2 weeks later to surprise me! I was literally speechless, I couldn't stop crying and laughing and just hugging everyone. I'm starting to cry again just thinking about it! It was perfect, more than I ever could have dreamed of.

Short story: Boyfriend surprised me after work with a romantic scavenger hunt through our house, followed by dinner reservations which turned out to be a huge engagement party with all our family and friends. I started crying from the moment I walked into the house and knew what was happening, and I'm still bursting into tears every few minutes.

And there are the pics you've all been waiting for! I'm over the moon. I'll never forget the love and support I received from this community. And I might just have a new diamond habit... thinking about some diamond studs next...

IMG_20190105_142618.jpg IMG_20190105_144922.jpg IMG_20190105_144929.jpg IMG_20190105_144937.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190105_143951.jpg
    IMG_20190105_143951.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 278
Last edited by a moderator:

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
I'm engaged!!! :kiss2:

Scroll down for short story. Here's the long version. Boyfriend had texted me earlier in the day while I was at work asking if I wanted to go to happy hour. After work I called him to see what the plan was and he said people had backed out so he was just going home and we would have a quiet night in. I always love quiet nights in so I was happy to go home.

I walk in the door and the stereo is playing love songs, candles lit, the house is very clean, and there's a note with my name on it. I immediately knew what was happening and started to cry. This begins a scavenger hunt throughout the house. This house is really important in our relationship; we bought it almost two years ago and we've been tearing it down and renovating it little by little while we live here, so it was really sweet to be guided through the house, reminded of every little project we've done together so far. The scavenger hunt culminated in figuring out a password which I needed to use to open the bedroom door, where he was waiting, in a suit, tealight candles on every single surface, streamers hanging from the ceiling. He got down on one knee, said some sweet things, and asked the big question. I don't even remember what he said because I was crying the whole time but I know I said YES!

So we cry and hug and laugh and cry for a while, go downstairs and have some champagne. He tells me we have dinner reservations in about an hour and suggests that we should just celebrate the two of us tonight, don't call anyone, just be together for one night before the whirlwind begins. But he said it's a nice place so get dressed up. We get ready, walk over to the restaurant, get to the table and he says "wait, I think they put us at the wrong table." I turn around and see through a door into another room and my dad is standing there with a video camera. I was so confused, I walked over slowly and as soon as I walked in the room everyone EXPLODED! Noise makers and screaming and clapping. My best friend was there from out of state, she was just home for Christmas but flew back 2 weeks later to surprise me! I was literally speechless, I couldn't stop crying and laughing and just hugging everyone. I'm starting to cry again just thinking about it! It was perfect, more than I ever could have dreamed of.

Short story: Boyfriend surprised me after work with a romantic scavenger hunt through our house, followed by dinner reservations which turned out to be a huge engagement party with all our family and friends. I started crying from the moment I walked into the house and knew what was happening, and I'm still bursting into tears every few minutes.

And there are the pics you've all been waiting for! I'm over the moon. I'll never forget the love and support I received from this community. And I might just have a new diamond habit... thinking about some diamond studs next...

IMG_20190105_142618.jpg IMG_20190105_144922.jpg IMG_20190105_144929.jpg IMG_20190105_144937.jpg

Congrats! Beautiful ring and what a sweet proposal! I know it took you a while to get the perfect ring, but it was time well spent because it looks amazing on your hand.

BTW, also love your necklace in that picture.

Last edited by a moderator:

MelloYello8

Shiny_Rock
:clap:Incredible. Congratulations! Your fiancé is so thoughtful and his detailed preparations to make the evening so wonderful was a grand gesture that you really deserved.

kitten24

Rough_Rock
Congratulations!!!! So happy for you both!

Heathcat24

Shiny_Rock
Premium
What a romantic story! The ring is PERFECT, as was that proposal! Congratulations! :appl:

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats! Beautiful ring and what a sweet proposal! I know it took you a while to get the perfect ring, but it was time well spent because it looks amazing on your hand.

BTW, also love your necklace in that picture.
Thank you! I'm pretty sure that's just a cheapo fake pearl necklace from tjmaxx or something.

:clap:Incredible. Congratulations! Your fiancé is so thoughtful and his detailed preparations to make the evening so wonderful was a grand gesture that you really deserved.

He totally went all out! He was emailing everyone and making plans for 3 weeks. All my family and friends knew what was coming throughout the holidays and no one said a peep. I was 100% surprised.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, what an engagement!! This was so important to him to knock it out the park for you! Congratulations!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely amazing! You put so much time and effort into that beautiful, timeless ring, and it was totally worth it - is looks PERFECT on your hand. And you are gorgeous!! Congratulations to you and your fiance!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amazing, congratulations!!!! Sounds like he's a keeper!!

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
@frogplus Congratulations!!!! What a wonderful proposal! And of course ring! It looks perfect! :kiss2: I am so happy for you!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! This was a long journey for you but with such a sweet ending! The ring looks beautiful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results