shape
carat
color
clarity

Exhausted and overwhelmed.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
No, platinum is not tricky to resize. Palladium is the metal that not all jewelers can resize. I'd always choose platinum given the choice. Even if you like rhodium plating, I'd plate the platinum because platinum is more dense and has greater longevity. it's white and if it gets scratched over time, all you have to do is polish it and it will look like new.

I don't know why, I just feel like I prefer white gold over platinum. I don't like the patina that platinum takes on, and if I'm going to be dipping it anyway why choose platinum? The price is higher for platinum and I will still need to either polish and/or dip it so it's not like it's lower maintenance or lower lifetime cost. I guess I might like the sightly heavier solid feel of platinum?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it will feel more substantial. Also, gold wears away over time and platinum does not (or much less). So with a ring with a thin shank, it may eventually be very thin at it's base as that is the part that would have the most wear, usually. That and the prong tips.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, it will feel more substantial. Also, gold wears away over time and platinum does not (or much less). So with a ring with a thin shank, it may eventually be very thin at it's base as that is the part that would have the most wear, usually. That and the prong tips.

I've heard that but how many years are we talking? Let's say a 2mm white gold band that I get redipped as needed and wear every day, will it last 20 years? More/less? And how does that compare to the same 2mm platinum worn every day?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wore a 2mm 14k gold one for about 25 years and the shank at the bottom had worn pretty thin and the prongs had worn and needed to be retipped. So yes, it will last a long time unless you do something with it on that constantly rubs against it. The platinum likely could be handed down for generations. I just like the weight better, the longevity, and I honestly have not needed to polish my current setting yet, and I have worn it daily for 5 years. But it is a stronger alloy than you'd probably get in a stock $400 ring which might need polishing more often than 5-10 years. So really, I am not trying to talk you into anything. I am just telling you why I prefer platinum, but you seem to want white gold and that's fine.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've heard that but how many years are we talking? Let's say a 2mm white gold band that I get redipped as needed and wear every day, will it last 20 years? More/less? And how does that compare to the same 2mm platinum worn every day?

I have an antique platinum setting and that's worn to be quite thin as well...it is 70 years old to be fair...but if you like wg I say go for it. The differences between the two metals for this type of setting aren't that substantial imho.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
They haven't even shipped it yet! I'm dying. I need to see this setting so I can move on if it's not right. UGH!

Also for anyone curious, found out it's $365 for the Hayden Classic in platinum and $480 for the Iris in platinum. I'm pretty sure I prefer the look and wear of white gold but I just wanted to know. Platinum prices for these settings are very reasonable.

I'm now waiting for them to tell me what type of alloy their white gold is. I might not be understanding this correctly but if it's palladium alloy, there's less chance of allergy and less or no need for rhodium plating?

Wow those are good prices on platinum. I think I need to call them up and ask some questions. They definitely do separate settings if you have your own stone?

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Wow those are good prices on platinum. I think I need to call them up and ask some questions. They definitely do separate settings if you have your own stone?

Yes definitely! They gave me the prices for setting only and we even discussed having them set my diamond vs having it set locally. They said they would set it for $35 but I would have to pay shipping and insure it both ways so they actually said I'm probably better off just doing it locally.

I feel like these settings must be too good to be true at these prices. What's the catch?

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes definitely! They gave me the prices for setting only and we even discussed having them set my diamond vs having it set locally. They said they would set it for $35 but I would have to pay shipping and insure it both ways so they actually said I'm probably better off just doing it locally.

I feel like these settings must be too good to be true at these prices. What's the catch?

if it's a small business there may not be a lot of overhead so maybe there is no catch. those are thin settings without a lot of metal and the price for gold is higher than platinum right now so all those factors might play a part. i hope they are every bit as good as they seem!

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
So just a sad update about the local jeweler, the small mom and pop place near my house. It's called Fishtown Jewelers in Philly for anyone reading this in the future. Stay away if you want perfection!

I had a CZ set into the empty necklace when the diamond was removed, and I just picked it up and it looks great except the metal piece that connects the chain to the setting was off. It wasn't hanging straight. I looked closer and you can see they are clearly sticking out at different angles. So I went back to the store and showed them and asked if they could fix it, and the owner walked over, put my money on the table and said take your money back, we're finished. I was like, wait, what? You're not going to fix it? She said no, take it somewhere else, keep the CZ for free, we're finished. So I took my $40 back, took the necklace, and I guess I won't be ever going back to that jeweler. I'm too "particular" for them.

Here are the pictures of the necklace. I'll wear it like this until I get my engagement ring and I'll just ask whoever sets my engagement ring to fix this necklace too.

The first picture shows it the best, you can only see it slightly when I'm wearing it but enough that I kept thinking it was hanging crooked and kept trying to readjust it. To me, that's just not acceptable. If I'm paying $40 for a CZ to be set into a necklace I already have, it should be set perfectly. Right?
IMG_20181013_123834.jpg IMG_20181013_123630.jpg IMG_20181013_120201.jpg IMG_20181013_120303.jpg

Golden_bird

Shiny_Rock
Premium
So just a sad update about the local jeweler, the small mom and pop place near my house. It's called Fishtown Jewelers in Philly for anyone reading this in the future. Stay away if you want perfection!

I had a CZ set into the empty necklace when the diamond was removed, and I just picked it up and it looks great except the metal piece that connects the chain to the setting was off. It wasn't hanging straight. I looked closer and you can see they are clearly sticking out at different angles. So I went back to the store and showed them and asked if they could fix it, and the owner walked over, put my money on the table and said take your money back, we're finished. I was like, wait, what? You're not going to fix it? She said no, take it somewhere else, keep the CZ for free, we're finished. So I took my $40 back, took the necklace, and I guess I won't be ever going back to that jeweler. I'm too "particular" for them.

Here are the pictures of the necklace. I'll wear it like this until I get my engagement ring and I'll just ask whoever sets my engagement ring to fix this necklace too.

The first picture shows it the best, you can only see it slightly when I'm wearing it but enough that I kept thinking it was hanging crooked and kept trying to readjust it. To me, that's just not acceptable. If I'm paying $40 for a CZ to be set into a necklace I already have, it should be set perfectly. Right?
IMG_20181013_123834.jpg IMG_20181013_123630.jpg IMG_20181013_120201.jpg IMG_20181013_120303.jpg
Being Interested myself In jewelry for a while , I learned that not all the jewers share the same passion about jewelry and their craftsman .i would say 90% of the local shops do horrible job on fixing jewelry , resetting and so on . In order to have it “perfect” you have to pay for it higher then regular prices and find the person who shares the same esthetics as you are , most ppl don’t care about crooked prongs ,not filed to perfection places of repair, low quality stones and so on .

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock

Wow okay. I tried calling just now and nobody answered. It sent me to a machine. Did it do that to you too? I might just wait til yours arrive to try again and see what you think.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Right after I posted that, my Miadonna try-at-home replica rings were delivered!

RECAP: Miadonna makes you pick 3 so I got:

Traditional Solitaire ($498 and has 2.1mm band)
https://www.miadonna.com/products/traditional-solitaire-engagement-ring

Classique Solitaire Wedding Set (2.8mm band, would be $619 just for the engagement ring, I don't want the matching band, extra $350 if I want a custom thinner band)
https://www.miadonna.com/products/classique-solitaire-wedding-set

Patricia Accented Wedding Ring Set (would be $1709 just for the band, I don't want the engagement ring just want to see this style band with the other rings)
https://www.miadonna.com/products/patricia-accented-wedding-ring-set.

Here's the traditional solitaire. It came with 4 prong princess cut, I think? Square, not round. Wish I could see it with round 6-prong but they don't offer that for try-at-home. Between the two (traditional and classique) I prefer this one. The shank is 2.1mm according to the website, I did not measure it. I think this is almost still too thick, maybe 1.8mm would be my ideal. I tried it with the band from the Patricia set, which would be $1709 for just the band, and I hate it. The band is way too high. (I really didn't even want to think about wedding bands yet, but since I had to order 3 I just threw this in to try it out.)

Since this would still be $498 for the setting plus $50 setting fee, I don't think it's going to be considered. If it were $250, maybe. It doesn't have the Tiffany head I love and if I'm going to pay $550, I'd rather just bump it up to $650 for Eternity by Yoni or $900 for BGD (all prices include the $50 setting fee from a local guy I found).
IMG_20181013_125547.jpg IMG_20181013_125603.jpg IMG_20181013_125719.jpg IMG_20181013_130045.jpg IMG_20181013_130114.jpg IMG_20181013_130122.jpg IMG_20181013_130646.jpg IMG_20181013_130653.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20181013_125547.jpg
    IMG_20181013_125547.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20181013_125603.jpg
    IMG_20181013_125603.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 22

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Next up, the Classique. The shank is definitely too thick, it's 2.8mm according to the website, I did not measure it. I don't like the view from the side, I don't know how to explain it but it's too upright? I want it to come out and curve in a little more. That plus the thicker shank, and the price for this is $619, this one is definitely out for me.
IMG_20181013_125550.jpg IMG_20181013_125616.jpg IMG_20181013_125638.jpg IMG_20181013_125654.jpg IMG_20181013_125659.jpg IMG_20181013_130345.jpg IMG_20181013_130411.jpg IMG_20181013_130415.jpg

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
And finally just for fun, the Patricia set. BLING! Not for me but fun to try on.
IMG_20181013_125553.jpg IMG_20181013_125620.jpg IMG_20181013_130604.jpg IMG_20181013_130615.jpg IMG_20181013_130618.jpg

Overall Miadonna try-at-home was a great experience! It came with a sizer and some literature, pictures below.
IMG_20181013_133150.jpg IMG_20181013_133226.jpg IMG_20181013_133233.jpg IMG_20181013_133251.jpg

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Wow okay. I tried calling just now and nobody answered. It sent me to a machine. Did it do that to you too? I might just wait til yours arrive to try again and see what you think.

I haven't tried calling Hayden Cudworth, I emailed them and they have been really good about responding to all of my MANY emails, lol. I haven't heard from them since yesterday and I'm still waiting to hear back about what alloy mixture they use for the white gold. They may not be open today. Try sending an email.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I haven't tried calling Hayden Cudworth, I emailed them and they have been really good about responding to all of my MANY emails, lol. I haven't heard from them since yesterday and I'm still waiting to hear back about what alloy mixture they use for the white gold. They may not be open today. Try sending an email.
Oh I didnt even think they might not be open. I'll try email. Thanks!

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Being Interested myself In jewelry for a while , I learned that not all the jewers share the same passion about jewelry and their craftsman .i would say 90% of the local shops do horrible job on fixing jewelry , resetting and so on . In order to have it “perfect” you have to pay for it higher then regular prices and find the person who shares the same esthetics as you are , most ppl don’t care about crooked prongs ,not filed to perfection places of repair, low quality stones and so on .

Yeah, I'm starting to get that sense. I talked to a new jeweler this week, Anthony Fontana, who gave me an estimate of about $50 to set and redip if I bring him a setting and stone. He was recommended by another jeweler, Barrio Neal, I called them and they said they don't work on other settings so I asked if they knew anyone that did and they gave me Anthony's number. He talked to me for like 20 minutes about rings and what I'm looking for, white gold vs platinum, and basically said this is his passion and he's excited to work with me. I have to see some of the things he's done before I fully trust him, but I have a good feeling. He doesn't seem like he would get annoyed with me for asking to fix a crooked setting, LOL.

I also have another bench jeweler another PSer recommended, Jen Green. I've been emailing with her and she seems really nice. I haven't heard back yet whether she would just do the setting for me if I brought her a setting and stone. If she does and the price is similar, I may feel more comfortable going with her since another PSer recommended her highly.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock

@frogplus, imo you have already given this jeweller more benefit of the doubt than they deserved. Starting from when they couldn’t use the diamond tester properly, then to when they proceeded to set the old cut diamond in your mum’s setting when the boss told you she would keep looking... I think they just don’t have the skill and professionalism that you would expect to have. I’m glad your mum’s ring turned out well though, all things considered.

The prongs on your pendant look weird now but I’m sure your next jeweller will be able to fix them easily. Your new options sound good!

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
@frogplus, imo you have already given this jeweller more benefit of the doubt than they deserved. Starting from when they couldn’t use the diamond tester properly, then to when they proceeded to set the old cut diamond in your mum’s setting when the boss told you she would keep looking... I think they just don’t have the skill and professionalism that you would expect to have. I’m glad your mum’s ring turned out well though, all things considered.

The prongs on your pendant look weird now but I’m sure your next jeweller will be able to fix them easily. Your new options sound good!

100% agree! And yes, I'm SO glad there were no issues with my mom's ring. I think I just really wanted this place to be good because of how close it is and how nice they seemed, but now I realize it was fake, the way the owner reacted on my last visit makes me pretty sure she was complaining about me every time I asked for something. Even though I always apologized for being "so picky," which I shouldn't even have to do...

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Hayden Cudworth responded about the white gold alloy they use. I'm assuming due to the low price this is probably a pretty low quality mix, but is this better or worse than what I would get in any mall jewelry store?

"This is the most info i can get: contents .585 gold and mix of zinc, nickel, alloy, silver and a small percentage of copper."

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hayden Cudworth responded about the white gold alloy they use. I'm assuming due to the low price this is probably a pretty low quality mix, but is this better or worse than what I would get in any mall jewelry store?

"This is the most info i can get: contents .585 gold and mix of zinc, nickel, alloy, silver and a small percentage of copper."
Go to Whiteflash’s education link on their website and look at their explanations on alloys. It looks to me that yours would be 14k but I’m not a professional. Read it and I’m sure someone that knows will chime in. Are you allergic to any metal? I can wear anything without a reaction..The only time I was sensitive was when I was pregnant. That was a loooonng time ago! :lol-2: I was allergic to platinum which most people aren’t. It was only when I was pregnant..A month after I had my son I was able to wear it without a problem..

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Go to Whiteflash’s education link on their website and look at their explanations on alloys. It looks to me that yours would be 14k but I’m not a professional. Read it and I’m sure someone that knows will chime in. Are you allergic to any metal? I can wear anything without a reaction..The only time I was sensitive was when I was pregnant. That was a loooonng time ago! :lol-2: I was allergic to platinum which most people aren’t. It was only when I was pregnant..A month after I had my son I was able to wear it without a problem..

Yes it's 14k. I don't know if I'm allergic to any metal. I've never been a jewelry person. I sometimes wear cheap earrings and necklaces and have no reaction, but I don't know what metal they are. I had an allergy test a few years ago and was only allergic to grass, but I don't know if they test metal allergies in those tests.

Is there an easy way to find out if I'm allergic to those metals other than wearing them for an extended period of time?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes it's 14k. I don't know if I'm allergic to any metal. I've never been a jewelry person. I sometimes wear cheap earrings and necklaces and have no reaction, but I don't know what metal they are. I had an allergy test a few years ago and was only allergic to grass, but I don't know if they test metal allergies in those tests.

Is there an easy way to find out if I'm allergic to those metals other than wearing them for an extended period of time?
I think you would have to wear them to be able to tell..If you’re able to wear cheap earrings in your ears you should be fine..Does your mom have any 14k rings or earrings you can borrow?

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I think you would have to wear them to be able to tell..If you’re able to wear cheap earrings in your ears you should be fine..Does your mom have any 14k rings or earrings you can borrow?

Actually the vintage ring I had the estate diamond set into for my mom is white gold, I think 14k but maybe I can see the stamp. I'll check when I get home. I can just start wearing that and see if I have any reaction. Do you think I would see a reaction if I wear it for like 5 hours or would it need to be 24+?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want a thinner looking shank, then I would go soft knife edge all day long. It will give the appearance of a thinner band, but will be just as sturdy as a rounded one. Also, the height of the knife edge adds stability. I would ask for a quote from David Klass. He can easily do the Tiffany head you like. Just send him a photo of the setting you love (Tiffany) and see what he says. You may be surprised by the price.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Actually the vintage ring I had the estate diamond set into for my mom is white gold, I think 14k but maybe I can see the stamp. I'll check when I get home. I can just start wearing that and see if I have any reaction. Do you think I would see a reaction if I wear it for like 5 hours or would it need to be 24+?
It depends on the person I think. Typically my rash starts at about 24 hours of wearing a piece of jewellery that isn't platinum. But I think some peoples can start even faster than that.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can develop an allergy at any time. Ive been wearing gold for years and I could still develop an allergy. It’s rare to be allergic...I wouldn’t worry.. because even if you were..rhodium plating would give an added layer of protection..It cheap and lasts a long time..

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
If you want a thinner looking shank, then I would go soft knife edge all day long. It will give the appearance of a thinner band, but will be just as sturdy as a rounded one. Also, the height of the knife edge adds stability. I would ask for a quote from David Klass. He can easily do the Tiffany head you like. Just send him a photo of the setting you love (Tiffany) and see what he says. You may be surprised by the price.
I don't really like the knife edge look, and I don't like when the band is higher than it is thick.

It depends on the person I think. Typically my rash starts at about 24 hours of wearing a piece of jewellery that isn't platinum. But I think some peoples can start even faster than that.
Thanks, I'll try wearing that ring tonight and see what happens.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
You can develop an allergy at any time. Ive been wearing gold for years and I could still develop an allergy. It’s rare to be allergic...I wouldn’t worry.. because even if you were..rhodium plating would give an added layer of protection..It cheap and lasts a long time..
Thanks! I forgot that the rhodium plating can help. I've only heard that people with nickel allergies can't wear white gold. I guess that's saying they can't wear white gold that's not plated.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I don't really like the knife edge look, and I don't like when the band is higher than it is thick.

Thanks, I'll try wearing that ring tonight and see what happens.
Sure thing! Wishing you luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results