shape
carat
color
clarity

Exhausted and overwhelmed.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
The shoulders are a little higher than I thought you wanted, but if you love it, go for it. You sure can't beat the price! I love your plan to get earrings at Christmas.

The shoulders on this one actually don't bother me for some reason. I'm not sure if they are actually a little lower than the other ones I saw, or if I'm just looking at it now with a new perspective after realizing that I can either have the taper or low shoulders, not both. I LOVE the taper, hands down.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
I think it looks lovely and should look even better with your slightly larger stone. It seems to be the nature of the tapered setting to be higher on the shoulders which should add strength. The stone doesn't look set low. What is the width of the band? The price is great. Your thread should be an example for anyone looking for a lovely engagement ring on a small budget!

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I love the setting..but it’s what YOU love..I don’t know what you mean about short and fat..Are you thinking the setting is too low profile? Make sure this is the setting YOU want..not what all of us think. You’re going to wearing this ring for a long time..possibly forever..Don’t feel pressure to make the decision tomorrow...but it sounds like you MAY have made your decision..crying when you look at it is a good sign! :lol:
I love that you told your boyfriend you want Lightbox studs for Christmas..:lol-2:

Yeah I'm concerned that it might be too low profile after it's set. I love it the way it looks now. I don't know how much it will change after a slightly larger stone goes in and the prongs are brought down to hold it in. I guess that's what I'm really asking for. If I love it now, will I even notice the difference after it's set?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@frogplus is the cost of the setting plus setting and everything $275?

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You can ask for it to be set high. That way the height of the prongs will be taller and the stone will sit higher. The height of the band will not change.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
It’s hard to tell but I don’t think there will be much difference between how a .4 and .5 looks in the setting. It will be dropped down a little lower to accommodate your stone..and the prongs will go over the top but not by that much...I love a low profile and yours is much higher than mine..so I don’t think it would look squatty which is what I think you’re worried about.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I think it looks lovely and should look even better with your slightly larger stone. It seems to be the nature of the tapered setting to be higher on the shoulders which should add strength. The stone doesn't look set low. What is the width of the band? The price is great. Your thread should be an example for anyone looking for a lovely engagement ring on a small budget!

Haha thank you!

@frogplus is the cost of the setting plus setting and everything $275?

Yes! She said setting and two sizes down is inciuded. This will actually need to be sized 2.5 sizes down but she's not charging me. $275 out the door.

You can ask for it to be set high. That way the height of the prongs will be taller and the stone will sit higher. The height of the band will not change.

I might ask for that. That basically just means keeping the diamond as high as the prongs will allow?

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
It’s hard to tell but I don’t think there will be much difference between how a .4 and .5 looks in the setting. It will be dropped down a little lower to accommodate your stone..and the prongs will go over the top but not by that much...I love a low profile and yours is much higher than mine..so I don’t think it would look squatty which is what I think you’re worried about.

Ok that really makes me feel better. Thank you!

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@frogplus, Yes. You can specify high or low set or even medium. Higher makes the stone look bigger but it might get banged around a little more, especially if you're left-handed. Some people like low-set for that reason but I like the look of high set more.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes! She said setting and two sizes down is inciuded. This will actually need to be sized 2.5 sizes down but she's not charging me. $275 out the door.

That’s a fair price. I think the setting looks lovely and if you love it that’s all that matters. Happy that this is coming to an end for you soon!

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
@frogplus, Yes. You can specify high or low set or even medium. Higher makes the stone look bigger but it might get banged around a little more, especially if you're left-handed. Some people like low-set for that reason but I like the look of high set more.
Hmm. I guess I will just tell her my concern about it looking short and fat and let her decide exactly how high to set it.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm. I guess I will just tell her my concern about it looking short and fat and let her decide exactly how high to set it.
So....When will your boyfriend propose? After all your work to get your beautiful ring..it’s his turn now..I hope he makes it special for you..=)2

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
So....When will your boyfriend propose? After all your work to get your beautiful ring..it’s his turn now..I hope he makes it special for you..=)2

Hopefully he doesn't make me wait too long! We had the talk almost 3 months ago so I've already given him that long to get ready. I have no idea what he'll do. He might surprise me and propose a week after the ring is ready. He might wait until Christmas, New Year, or maybe he'll make me sweat through the holidays and then do it on a random Wednesday in January lol. I'm just going to have to find a new obsession to keep me distracted!

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I just realized something. I tried and never was able to find the LB logo inscription in my stone using 30x and 60x loupe. I'll have no way of knowing I'm getting the same stone back without being confident that I can find the logo. I left the necklace at the jewelers to save me a trip dropping it off since I was pretty sure I was going to say yes to that setting, but now I'm thinking I need to pick up the necklace and keep it until I know I'll be able to find that logo again after it's set. They aren't touching it until I tell them to go ahead, so it's safe for now. I'm just going to feel a little weird asking for it back now. Shoot. Shouldn't have left it.:doh:

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Just ask to see the logo using their microscope both before and after it's set. It's not a big deal.

I just can't get over how weird it feels, like I'm saying I don't trust them not to switch it out with something else. I'm going to call them tomorrow just to make sure they don't do anything until I come back in next week. When I'm there, I just ask them if I can use their microscope to find the logo? What if I can't find it? Ugh.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They should be able to help you find it because they have a lot of experience finding details under a microscope.

srke

Shiny_Rock
I really wouldn't worry too much. If they replace the diamond with something other than a diamond like a CZ, it will be very easy to test for.. If they are going to switch the diamond with a cheaper diamond,, given the price LB is selling the diamonds, I don't think they could find anything that would possibly pass as similar size, and get any sort of profit out of it. It would make sense if they switched a mined diamond with an LB diamond , but not the other way around.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is that the same jeweler you bought your mom’s diamond from? I’m saying this because she had a wonky diamond tester...She should have a microscope or a loupe that should work to see the logo..Bring your loupe in your purse and pull it out so they can use it..if they don’t have a 60x..Let them show you how to work it.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I just can't get over how weird it feels, like I'm saying I don't trust them not to switch it out with something else. I'm going to call them tomorrow just to make sure they don't do anything until I come back in next week. When I'm there, I just ask them if I can use their microscope to find the logo? What if I can't find it? Ugh.

She already knows that it’s a lab diamond, I don’t think she will think it’s worth her while to swap it out. You are more valuable to her as a regular customer. Look what you already bought, a diamond for your mom, and then next, maybe wedding bands, and earrings? :lol:

jbake

Brilliant_Rock

Would it help you not feel so awkward if you framed the question as having them help you/teach you how to find the logo? I’d tell them I know there’s supposed to be a tiny logo on there, but haven’t been able to find it myself. I’m sure they’d be able to find the logo easily. Then when you pick it up, mention how cool it was to see your stone under magnification & ask to look again. They may see through that, but it gives you a plausible excuse to check it out without coming across as doubting them outright.
I don’t think they’d be offended if you did just say you wanted to double check the logo at pickup though.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I really wouldn't worry too much. If they replace the diamond with something other than a diamond like a CZ, it will be very easy to test for.. If they are going to switch the diamond with a cheaper diamond,, given the price LB is selling the diamonds, I don't think they could find anything that would possibly pass as similar size, and get any sort of profit out of it. It would make sense if they switched a mined diamond with an LB diamond , but not the other way around.

That's what I was thinking too. I'm just paranoid I guess and want to do everything right.

Is that the same jeweler you bought your mom’s diamond from? I’m saying this because she had a wonky diamond tester...She should have a microscope or a loupe that should work to see the logo..Bring your loupe in your purse and pull it out so they can use it..if they don’t have a 60x..Let them show you how to work it.

Yes that's another reason I'm nervous. I can't even ask them to test it because it might come up as moissanite like it did before.

She already knows that it’s a lab diamond, I don’t think she will think it’s worth her while to swap it out. You are more valuable to her as a regular customer. Look what you already bought, a diamond for your mom, and then next, maybe wedding bands, and earrings? :lol:

I think you're right.

Would it help you not feel so awkward if you framed the question as having them help you/teach you how to find the logo? I’d tell them I know there’s supposed to be a tiny logo on there, but haven’t been able to find it myself. I’m sure they’d be able to find the logo easily. Then when you pick it up, mention how cool it was to see your stone under magnification & ask to look again. They may see through that, but it gives you a plausible excuse to check it out without coming across as doubting them outright.
I don’t think they’d be offended if you did just say you wanted to double check the logo at pickup though.

That's perfect! I just hope they can find it and show me. I guess if they can't either, I'll just have to trust them which honestly I do trust them and I never would have thought of this unless my mom and someone else had mentioned that you always need to confirm it's the same one when you leave it somewhere.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This. I would 100% play the excited future fiancé who is obsessed with her diamond/ring and wants to see all the small details of it :mrgreen2:

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Ugh, now I think I might want to splurge for the BGD Tapered Classic Style Half Round. It's the Tiffany crown I love with a tapered thin band, and everyone says BGD does fantastic work. Just looked at a bunch of pictures on PS and it doesn't look too high profile, but I can't tell for sure. Definitely would be a lot more expensive, $850 plus whatever they charge for setting fee vs $275 from the one I found locally. Feels wrong to spend that much on a setting for a $500 lab diamond for some reason. And I don't think I'll care this much about these tiny details in the setting in a few months after this excitement is over, so I'll probably regret spending that much.

Not sure what I'm even asking here. I guess if anyone has advice for how to decide... :confused:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@frogplus I think that you have been very budget cautious this far, which is a good thing! I am not sure if you will be happy spending more for the setting vs the diamond. BGD does a great job, but you said that you loved the setting that you tried on. Perhaps save your money and gets pair of studs instead for example. Don’t forget that you can always reset in the future if you want to splurge. Btw BGD charges about $75 as a setting fee. Maybe they will waive it if the setting is theirs. I am not 100% sure, you have to ask.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It seems like your primary motivator for this ring has been low cost, so I would probably not spend the extra money.

There are a couple of ways to look at it:

1) $850+ is too much to spend for a ring for a $500 diamond.

2) You've saved so much on the diamond already, so splurge a little on the band.

It seems like you already love the less expensive band, so I would stick with that one. Your savings will get you most of the way to another piece of jewelry. But only you can decide this.

Personally, I would wait until/if you decide to upgrade the size of your diamond to splurge on the more expensive ring. Because if you hang around here long enough, you're going to want a larger diamond eventually. ;-)

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

You could always laugh, explain your nervousness, and say, “you know what they say! Trust but verify!”

But seriously a half carat lab diamond is not worth their reputation.

Yep!

Ugh, now I think I might want to splurge for the BGD Tapered Classic Style Half Round. It's the Tiffany crown I love with a tapered thin band, and everyone says BGD does fantastic work. Just looked at a bunch of pictures on PS and it doesn't look too high profile, but I can't tell for sure. Definitely would be a lot more expensive, $850 plus whatever they charge for setting fee vs $275 from the one I found locally. Feels wrong to spend that much on a setting for a $500 lab diamond for some reason. And I don't think I'll care this much about these tiny details in the setting in a few months after this excitement is over, so I'll probably regret spending that much.

Not sure what I'm even asking here. I guess if anyone has advice for how to decide... :confused:

The setting you saw in real life had you tearing up. The advice I have for you and ring mounts is this: like with boyfriends- when you find the right one, stop looking! :lol-2:

I love the one you found and doubt you could beat the price. If you’re like me and you like things BECAUSE they’re a deal and like them less when you feel like you overpaid... well, be mindful of that and maybe go for the excellent bargain :)

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
The setting you saw in real life had you tearing up. The advice I have for you and ring mounts is this: like with boyfriends- when you find the right one, stop looking! :lol-2:

I love the one you found and doubt you could beat the price. If you’re like me and you like things BECAUSE they’re a deal and like them less when you feel like you overpaid... well, be mindful of that and maybe go for the excellent bargain :)

You're so right about stopping when I've found the one.

And you're also so right about liking things because they're a deal. I keep saying to my boyfriend how much I love my diamond and a huge part of it is that it didn't cost thousands! I'm always hunting down deals, never buy anything without checking for a promo code, buy 90% of my clothes in thrift stores. And I don't NEED to do those things, I make a very good living. I just really value saving my money and spending on experiences instead of material things.

Ultimately I don't think the slightly different styles that probably no one but me will ever notice is worth paying $650 more ($850+$75 setting fee - $275) and almost doubling my total for the ring from $800 to $1450. Decision made.

I'm away this weekend but when I get back I'm going to the jeweler one last time to find the logo and give the green light for that setting. But I won't sweat it if I can't find the logo, you guys are all right that a $500 half carat lab diamond is not worth it for them to risk their reputation. At this point I kind of just really want to see the logo for curiosity's sake.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry I didn't really explain well. I'm fine with the height of the prongs since I know they'll be a little lower after setting. It's this part that I think is too high. Is this called the shoulder?

Screenshot_20181004-212035.png
T&C’s rings go up a bit too, but maybe not that much. I think it’s pretty actually and will really accentuate your diamond

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
re: checking the logo, you could ask for help finding it at first, as already suggested, then take a friend when you collect the completed piece, who 'wants to check how visible that tiny logo is' :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results