excellent vs Very good cut in small stones 0.20 pointer

zah_zah

Shiny_Rock
Yssie|1387229211|3575563 said:
zah_zah|1387228818|3575555 said:
Yssie|1387221730|3575439 said:
Wink|1387127894|3574709 said:
zah_zah|1387124634|3574686 said:
No I'm talking about when I was looking around at different vendors I saw a huge difference between v good to excellent, the one I stated about is the most reasonable pricing out of the vendors I was having a look at.

Ah, now that makes sense. It is very hard for Bricks and mortar stores these days. With diamond margins at all time lows for internet vendors it is forcing down the margins at many B&M stores. Some choose not to come down for many reasons, and some do. Many of those who do forget that they have a percentage rent with the land lord and when you sell a diamond for 10% and give 8% to the land lord you really do not have enough left to pay the bills and the employees, thus many many jewelry stores have left the business in the past five years.

I would expect you to see wide variations from store to store for virtually the same product.

Also entering into the equation in ways that we can not know here is what does your vendor of choice consider VG and what does he consider Excellent. Is his Excellent indeed the same as the more expensive Excellent? Therein lies the rub?

Wink

I think this is the most important question. Doesn't matter at all whether we think 'excellent' is worth it over (let alone how much more it is worth than!) 'very good' unless we know how the vendor is defining 'excellent' and 'very good'.

I've seen vendors use "very good melee" to describe poorly cut, pitifully included dust-bunnies, and the "excellent melee" is the clear sparkly stuff... but who knows if it's actually excellent cut? The important part is what the delimiter actually signifies IRL - in that case it was significant upgrades in clarity, colour, and sparkliness, not just nuances of cut quality!

If someone can't go to the store how would I be able to tell.
I don't think Gia certify tiny stones unless asked to. I'm so confused! I just want a sparkly diamond ring!

You ask the vendor.
A reputable vendor will explain the differences honestly because if they aren't honest and you aren't happy with what you get you'll just complain about it and probably return it, and that benefits no-one!
GIA will issue reports on 25pointers but they'll cost a whole lot more, and IMO if you trust your vendor to be your eyes and keep your priorities in-mind that extra cost isn't justified.

I have read good reviews from the vendor and my friend got her beautiful engagment ring and wedding bands from them a couple of years ago. It's one of the reasons I am swaying towards this vendor aswell as the price compared to other vendors.

There very friendly and quick with responses. Il ask about the cut. What should I be looking for in his answer about how their excellent vs very good is graded?

zah_zah

Shiny_Rock
Wink|1387230057|3575573 said:
Yssie|1387229211|3575563 said:
zah_zah|1387228818|3575555 said:
Yssie|1387221730|3575439 said:
Wink|1387127894|3574709 said:
zah_zah|1387124634|3574686 said:
No I'm talking about when I was looking around at different vendors I saw a huge difference between v good to excellent, the one I stated about is the most reasonable pricing out of the vendors I was having a look at.

Ah, now that makes sense. It is very hard for Bricks and mortar stores these days. With diamond margins at all time lows for internet vendors it is forcing down the margins at many B&M stores. Some choose not to come down for many reasons, and some do. Many of those who do forget that they have a percentage rent with the land lord and when you sell a diamond for 10% and give 8% to the land lord you really do not have enough left to pay the bills and the employees, thus many many jewelry stores have left the business in the past five years.

I would expect you to see wide variations from store to store for virtually the same product.

Also entering into the equation in ways that we can not know here is what does your vendor of choice consider VG and what does he consider Excellent. Is his Excellent indeed the same as the more expensive Excellent? Therein lies the rub?

Wink

I think this is the most important question. Doesn't matter at all whether we think 'excellent' is worth it over (let alone how much more it is worth than!) 'very good' unless we know how the vendor is defining 'excellent' and 'very good'.

I've seen vendors use "very good melee" to describe poorly cut, pitifully included dust-bunnies, and the "excellent melee" is the clear sparkly stuff... but who knows if it's actually excellent cut? The important part is what the delimiter actually signifies IRL - in that case it was significant upgrades in clarity, colour, and sparkliness, not just nuances of cut quality!

If someone can't go to the store how would I be able to tell.
I don't think Gia certify tiny stones unless asked to. I'm so confused! I just want a sparkly diamond ring!

You ask the vendor.
A reputable vendor will explain the differences honestly because if they aren't honest and you aren't happy with what you get you'll just complain about it and probably return it, and that benefits no-one!
GIA will issue reports on 25pointers but they'll cost a whole lot more, and IMO if you trust your vendor to be your eyes and keep your priorities in-mind that extra cost isn't justified.

Yssie makes two good points here. It costs too much to paper the smalls and you must trust your vendor. If he abuses that trust, complain and get a refund. If he earns that trust, trust him even more and be willing to pay that little bit extra that helps keep him in business to be there for you in the future.

Wink

Good advice!
I think I'm going to go for the excellent cut diamonds, if it's not right I can return it within 30days

zah_zah

Shiny_Rock
I'm second guessing myself now. I'm going to go for excellent quality but I'm nervous now.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
zah_zah|1387303824|3576220 said:
I'm second guessing myself now. I'm going to go for excellent quality but I'm nervous now.

You'll feel better once you have seen the diamonds with your own eyes.

Wink

zah_zah

Shiny_Rock
I'm going to purchase the excellent and see what it's like!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results