shape
carat
color
clarity

excellent vs Very good cut in small stones 0.20 pointer

zah_zah

Shiny_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I just want to ask whether the difference between an excellent cut diamond in an eternity ring that has 0.20 pointers going around is going to be very noticeable compared to a V good cut?

Is it worth paying extra for the excellent cut diamonds in eternity ring?
Both rings will have a G colour and VS2 clarity.

Thanks it in advance!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
What's the price difference we are talking about?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think in 20-pointers it will definitely be noticeable, if you are the kind of person who notices cut quality.

zah_zah

Shiny_Rock
Price difference
£1355 for v good cut
£1750 for excellent cut

zah_zah

Shiny_Rock
I dont really know much about diamonds. I know cut is very important but im not sure how important for smaller stones

zah_zah

Shiny_Rock
Do you think I should just go for the excellent cut?

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
zah_zah|1387100968|3574579 said:

Yes. Buy once, cry once.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Andelain|1387102566|3574581 said:
zah_zah|1387100968|3574579 said:

Yes. Buy once, cry once.

Well said.

Are you buying local?

If so ask your vendor to show you a line of the very good cut 20's in a slotted tray and in another slot above or below the very goods a line of excellent cuts. Ask him not to let you know which is which.

You go and look at the stones. If you can not clearly see which you like better, then obviously you do not need to spend the extra money on the excellent cuts. If you happen to like the VGs better, then obviously you just saved some bucks. If you like the Excellent cut diamonds better, then you must decide if you like them enough better to spend the extra money.

At this size it may or may not be as obvious to your eyes as it would be with larger diamonds. Even with the smalls, you must see it to believe it.

Wink

zah_zah

Shiny_Rock
Do you think it's a reasonable price increase?

zah_zah

Shiny_Rock
It's not local but I can drive down to see the stones.
I spoke to them on the phone and they said tha the difference between the sparkle is not huge but even if excellent sparkle a little bit more I know id want that.
The price difference from different vendors between v good to excellent huge as in £1000 more! I would expect if for bigger stones but 5 0.20 pointers I was a bit shocked.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
zah_zah|1387122895|3574675 said:
It's not local but I can drive down to see the stones.
I spoke to them on the phone and they said tha the difference between the sparkle is not huge but even if excellent sparkle a little bit more I know id want that.
The price difference from different vendors between v good to excellent huge as in £1000 more! I would expect if for bigger stones but 5 0.20 pointers I was a bit shocked.

I am a little confused here. in the pricing you stated above the pricing was 350 Euros per carat different. Where did the $1,000 Euros per carat difference come from?

Wink

zah_zah

Shiny_Rock
No I'm talking about when I was looking around at different vendors I saw a huge difference between v good to excellent, the one I stated about is the most reasonable pricing out of the vendors I was having a look at.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
zah_zah|1387124634|3574686 said:
No I'm talking about when I was looking around at different vendors I saw a huge difference between v good to excellent, the one I stated about is the most reasonable pricing out of the vendors I was having a look at.

Ah, now that makes sense. It is very hard for Bricks and mortar stores these days. With diamond margins at all time lows for internet vendors it is forcing down the margins at many B&M stores. Some choose not to come down for many reasons, and some do. Many of those who do forget that they have a percentage rent with the land lord and when you sell a diamond for 10% and give 8% to the land lord you really do not have enough left to pay the bills and the employees, thus many many jewelry stores have left the business in the past five years.

I would expect you to see wide variations from store to store for virtually the same product.

Also entering into the equation in ways that we can not know here is what does your vendor of choice consider VG and what does he consider Excellent. Is his Excellent indeed the same as the more expensive Excellent? Therein lies the rub?

Wink

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
If sparkle is important to you, I think you will notice the difference. You've received excellent advice, from Andelain's "Buy once, cry once" (love that) to Wink's eye-test idea.

And Wink, she's talking pounds, not euros. Britain's never had anything to do with the euro. So the difference from approx 1300 to approx 1700 is more than you think, if you thought it was euros. It's about a $680 difference.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Just converted the pounds into USD so readers can get a better handle on whether these rings are good value. The OP might be better of getting something from WF or BGD.

The v good cut ring is $2168.
The excellent cut is $2800.

What is the total carat weight of the rings, and the colour/clarity?

zah_zah

Shiny_Rock
The colour is G with a VS2 clarity and a 1 total carat weight.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Can you see them in person and compare? My 0.25 ct 5 stone is just very good cut and it is plenty good enough for me.

zah_zah

Shiny_Rock
I can but it's difficult to go and have a look soon.

Is your 0.25 total carat weight or 0.25 per stone?

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Smith1942|1387128142|3574711 said:
If sparkle is important to you, I think you will notice the difference. You've received excellent advice, from Andelain's "Buy once, cry once" (love that) to Wink's eye-test idea.

And Wink, she's talking pounds, not euros. Britain's never had anything to do with the euro. So the difference from approx 1300 to approx 1700 is more than you think, if you thought it was euros. It's about a $680 difference.

You are, of course, correct. Thank you for bringing it to my attention as it is an important difference!

Hmm, that sounds almost snarky, I assure you that it is a sincere statement and meant as a compliment.

Wink, who needs to go back to bed for a few hours, suffering from extreme fuzzy brainedness...

zah_zah

Shiny_Rock
The interesting question.
I'm really not experienced with diamonds so I'm not sure id know the difference between an excellent in one store compared to another unless I see them next to each other.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
zah_zah|1387131910|3574749 said:

0.25 per stone. I have many pave rings with tiny melee.

Yeah, they say cut is king but in these small sizes ... as long as it isn't really included and not poorly cut then I am ok with it. That's just me being honest. Excellent cut is better but it is just up to you how much you are willing to pay for it.

zah_zah

Shiny_Rock
Do you have a picture of the ring? :)

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Wink|1387133058|3574760 said:
Smith1942|1387128142|3574711 said:

You are, of course, correct. Thank you for bringing it to my attention as it is an important difference!

Hmm, that sounds almost snarky, I assure you that it is a sincere statement and meant as a compliment.

Wink, who needs to go back to bed for a few hours, suffering from extreme fuzzy brainedness...

Yeah, I've got your posts about the euro printed out and pinned to my dart board for target practice! :lol: :lol:

I did the conversions so that we can get a handle on exactly how much this ring is, equivalent, and if the OP would be better off ordering something from our usual suspects since we are so familiar with the cut quality. If the ring is 1 carat, and the stones re 0.20, then I'm guessing it must be a half-eternity.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
I've always rather admired this one. http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-ring-platinum_9717?track=product&elem=image

Blue Nile has a UK site. I've got lots of their diamond jewellery and the cut is amazing - incredibly sparkly!

I've just checked out WF and BGD for half-eternities but they are all well beyond the price of the Excellent cut stone ring that the OP is considering. Actually, based on USA prices - which tend to be much cheaper than some other countries - I don't think the prices quoted are bad at all.

This one is a slightly different style but really pretty. http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-ring-platinum_9717?track=product&elem=image

zah_zah

Shiny_Rock
Hey it's a 5 stone ring so yes half eternity ring.
I have had a look at blue nile but their clarity is lower and also lower in colour.
I want to stay at g colour or better and don't want to go any lower than a vs2

zah_zah

Shiny_Rock
CharmyPoo|1387137758|3574807 said:
zah_zah|1387131910|3574749 said:

0.25 per stone. I have many pave rings with tiny melee.

Yeah, they say cut is king but in these small sizes ... as long as it isn't really included and not poorly cut then I am ok with it. That's just me being honest. Excellent cut is better but it is just up to you how much you are willing to pay for it.
Hey do you have a picture of your ring? :)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wink|1387127894|3574709 said:

Ah, now that makes sense. It is very hard for Bricks and mortar stores these days. With diamond margins at all time lows for internet vendors it is forcing down the margins at many B&M stores. Some choose not to come down for many reasons, and some do. Many of those who do forget that they have a percentage rent with the land lord and when you sell a diamond for 10% and give 8% to the land lord you really do not have enough left to pay the bills and the employees, thus many many jewelry stores have left the business in the past five years.

I would expect you to see wide variations from store to store for virtually the same product.

Also entering into the equation in ways that we can not know here is what does your vendor of choice consider VG and what does he consider Excellent. Is his Excellent indeed the same as the more expensive Excellent? Therein lies the rub?

Wink

I think this is the most important question. Doesn't matter at all whether we think 'excellent' is worth it over (let alone how much more it is worth than!) 'very good' unless we know how the vendor is defining 'excellent' and 'very good'.

I've seen vendors use "very good melee" to describe poorly cut, pitifully included dust-bunnies, and the "excellent melee" is the clear sparkly stuff... but who knows if it's actually excellent cut? The important part is what the delimiter actually signifies IRL - in that case it was significant upgrades in clarity, colour, and sparkliness, not just nuances of cut quality!

zah_zah

Shiny_Rock
Yssie|1387221730|3575439 said:

Wink

I think this is the most important question. Doesn't matter at all whether we think 'excellent' is worth it over (let alone how much more it is worth than!) 'very good' unless we know how the vendor is defining 'excellent' and 'very good'.

I've seen vendors use "very good melee" to describe poorly cut, pitifully included dust-bunnies, and the "excellent melee" is the clear sparkly stuff... but who knows if it's actually excellent cut? The important part is what the delimiter actually signifies IRL - in that case it was significant upgrades in clarity, colour, and sparkliness, not just nuances of cut quality!

If someone can't go to the store how would I be able to tell.
I don't think Gia certify tiny stones unless asked to. I'm so confused! I just want a sparkly diamond ring!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
zah_zah|1387228818|3575555 said:

Wink

I don't think Gia certify tiny stones unless asked to. I'm so confused! I just want a sparkly diamond ring!

You ask the vendor.
A reputable vendor will explain the differences honestly because if they aren't honest and you aren't happy with what you get you'll just complain about it and probably return it, and that benefits no-one!
GIA will issue reports on 25pointers but they'll cost a whole lot more, and IMO if you trust your vendor to be your eyes and keep your priorities in-mind that extra cost isn't justified.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yssie|1387229211|3575563 said:
zah_zah|1387228818|3575555 said:

Wink

You ask the vendor.
A reputable vendor will explain the differences honestly because if they aren't honest and you aren't happy with what you get you'll just complain about it and probably return it, and that benefits no-one!
GIA will issue reports on 25pointers but they'll cost a whole lot more, and IMO if you trust your vendor to be your eyes and keep your priorities in-mind that extra cost isn't justified.

Yssie makes two good points here. It costs too much to paper the smalls and you must trust your vendor. If he abuses that trust, complain and get a refund. If he earns that trust, trust him even more and be willing to pay that little bit extra that helps keep him in business to be there for you in the future.

Wink

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results