shape
carat
color
clarity

Enlisting your expert help in finding a H&A 3-4 carat center stone

ice empress

Shiny_Rock
Apologies if this is a silly question...

What is the minimum mm difference discernible to the untrained average eye?

For example, would it be easy and obvious to notice a difference between a 3.05 mm carat whose width is 9.35mm vs a 3.60-3.65 carat whose width is 9.85mm? I appreciate that the depth will also be different, so the wider diamond would be a little higher, thus also making it appear larger, so I suppose the question takes into account width as well as associated depth.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Also, if you return an item for a repair, you don’t pay taxes again when that item is returned. If you add value to an item (say by adding length to a necklace or a setting for a stone), you pay the tax on the newly added value, not the whole item iirc. But I might be wrong on that...if it were me, I’d have the stone sent to a local jeweler if possible for you to inspect prior to purchasing, and to have it sent back and set as a whole before buying.

The above has been my experience when shipping to Canada and when taking ring repairs back for servicing.

Please be careful to document the shipping to the company in the US for repair as you will need that documentation to be on file when claiming the exemption when the item is returned. One of the reasons that HPD uses Fedex for all international shipments is that they handle the customs for us and for our clients. It is WELL worth the slight extra cost of shipping not to have to do all of the paper work that is required.

Wink

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium

For example, would it be easy and obvious to notice a difference between a 3.05 mm carat whose width is 9.35mm vs a 3.60-3.65 carat whose width is 9.85mm? I appreciate that the depth will also be different, so the wider diamond would be a little higher, thus also making it appear larger, so I suppose the question takes into account width as well as associated depth.
A general rule is .2mm difference is discernible. You can use the website diamdb.com to visualize and play around with comparisons =)2

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

For example, would it be easy and obvious to notice a difference between a 3.05 mm carat whose width is 9.35mm vs a 3.60-3.65 carat whose width is 9.85mm?
A BIG difference!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes length, width and depth is part of calculating carat weight so a higher carat weight stone will have larger length and width dimensions, as well as have more depth.

Total depth (TD) is derived as follows:
  • Average diameter * total depth % shown on cert
  • Formula: [(L + W) / 2] * (TD% / 100)
  • Actual of WF 3.05ct: [(9.36 + 9.34) / 2] * (61.0% / 100) = 9.35 * 0.61 = 5.7035, or 5.70mm
So if you look at a stone with smaller or larger L & W dimensions, then the depth will change smaller or bigger even if the total depth PERCENTAGE stays the same.

This is the reason a 2 carat stone is not actually twice as large (dimrnsionally) as a 1 carat stone. Additionally if a diamond is cut deep or shallow, and the crown/pavilion angles can play into the equation.

For instance the stone I bought my girl was a BGD 0.876ct but because of the crown, pavilion and total depth % it actually faced up bigger than a heavier WF 0.90+ carat stone that was its #1 contender.

My point is shopping by carat weight is not necessarily the best method. Dimensions tell us more.

FYI, the normal human can detect size difference at around 0.20mm, which is about 1/128th of an inch. While detectable side by side I would argue that difference is probably not significant and memorable for most people.

However, a 0.50mm+ dimension difference is likely noticeable and memorable to most individuals.

ice empress

Shiny_Rock
I have an update, and could really use some help...

I am going to have whiteflash custom cut an ACA. They were kindly able to provide three options with identical cut (ACA), color (G) and clarity (VS2).

What are your insights with regards to value, size, price between:

Option 1:
3.40-3.45ct (9.60-9.70mm) - $77,268

Option 2:
3.50-3.55ct (9.70-9.80mm) - $81,407

Option 3:
3.60-3.65ct (9.80-9.90mm) - $85,049

Please keep in mind that it will be set in a VC Emilya, which will probably add ~3mm width (given that frankiextah’s 3.075 carat emilya halo added 2.8mm).

Thanks again everyone!!! Your help has been most invaluable =)2

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on making a decision! I think you will be very happy with WF.

Since you get to custom cut, will you be able to define specific criteria? If so, I would choose a 54 table, 34.5 crown, 40.8 pavilion, 75 LGF.

Anyhow to answer your question, I dislike option 2 altogether as you only gain 0.10mm in size which isn't detectable by the (normal) human eye. Size becomes noticeable with a 0.20mm+ difference. So for me, it would need to be option 1 or option 3.

As a consumer, I prefer to find sweet spots in pricing. With option1 you stay just below 3.50 carats which is a "magic weight" and consequently will be less expensive per carat.

Option 1 = approx $22,600 per carat
Option 2 = approx $23,150 per carat
Option 3 = approx $23,500 per carat

Given your small finger size, the fact 0.20mm is only 1/256th of an inch bigger so it will be noticeable side by side to the 3.4ct (but not be OMG it's so much bigger), and having a better price per carat I personally would choose option 1 as I think you get the best bang for the buck with it.

If size is truly your most important function then option 3 as your budget seems to support it without issues.

ice empress

Shiny_Rock

Since you get to custom cut, will you be able to define specific criteria? If so, I would choose a 54 table, 34.5 crown, 40.8 pavilion, 75 LGF.

Anyhow to answer your question, I dislike option 2 altogether as you only gain 0.10mm in size which isn't detectable by the (normal) human eye. Size becomes noticeable with a 0.20mm+ difference. So for me, it would need to be option 1 or option 3.

As a consumer, I prefer to find sweet spots in pricing. With option1 you stay just below 3.50 carats which is a "magic weight" and consequently will be less expensive per carat.

Option 1 = approx $22,600 per carat
Option 2 = approx $23,150 per carat
Option 3 = approx $23,500 per carat

Given your small finger size, the fact 0.20mm is only 1/256th of an inch bigger so it will be noticeable side by side to the 3.4ct (but not be OMG it's so much bigger), and having a better price per carat I personally would choose option 1 as I think you get the best bang for the buck with it.

If size is truly your most important function then option 3 as your budget seems to support it without issues.

As you mentioned, though the size difference between 1 and 3 exist, they aren’t significant. Especially when there won’t be a side-to-side comparison of the two stones.

Therefore, though budget isn’t the defining decision-making factor, I’m thinking it may be hard to justify a $8000 (plus tax) increase for a negligeable difference, especially once set in the halo (I.e. 12.65mm vs 12.85mm is only a 1.6% increase, maybe 1.8% if we consider that it will sit higher due to being deeper).

As for the custom dimensions/criteria, I did not think to ask. I figured that the ACA criteria are strict and narrow enough that the final product should come out spectacular regardless of the specifics...

Was I mistaken to assume that?

The specific criteria you suggested would result in what type of fire/brilliance/scintillation/performance?

Thanks!!!

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As you mentioned, though the size difference between 1 and 3 exist, they aren’t significant. Especially when there won’t be a side-to-side comparison of the two stones.

Therefore, though budget isn’t the defining decision-making factor, I’m thinking it may be hard to justify a $8000 (plus tax) increase for a negligeable difference, especially once set in the halo (I.e. 12.65mm vs 12.85mm is only a 1.6% increase, maybe 1.8% if we consider that it will sit higher due to being deeper).

As for the custom dimensions/criteria, I did not think to ask. I figured that the ACA criteria are strict and narrow enough that the final product should come out spectacular regardless of the specifics...

The specific criteria you suggested would result in what type of fire/brilliance/scintillation/performance?

Thanks!!!
Those are @sledge preferred dimentions in a stone. What your eye prefers may not be what his eye prefers. I wouldn’t request specific parameters unless you know what YOU favor. Any stone they cut is going to be gorgeous.

ice empress

Shiny_Rock
Those are @sledge preferred dimentions in a stone. What your eye prefers may not be what his eye prefers. I wouldn’t request specific parameters unless you know what YOU favor. Any stone they cut is going to be gorgeous.

That’s what I figured. As much as I like to be in control of every last detail and minutia, in this circumstance, I feel confident that the result will be incredible without my usual micromanagement. :mrgreen2:

By the way, your fur baby is so super adorable!!!

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s what I figured. As much as I like to be in control of every last detail and minutia, in this circumstance, I feel confident that the result will be incredible without my usual micromanagement. :mrgreen2:

By the way, your fur baby is so super adorable!!!
That’s actually not mine, just a pic from the Internet. This is one of mine :)

CDEF7389-FDE6-49AC-96CE-8E5EBA2D3C7B.jpeg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks!!!

I shall call forth @Texas Leaguer and politely ask if he would be able to confirm if WF custom cut customers can request certain parameters, or whether it is entirely down to how the rough plays out! :)

ice empress

Shiny_Rock
FYI, here is the estimate of how option 1 and 3 would look like, with and without halo.

Option 1 (3.40-3.45ct) is on the left, while option 3 (3.60-3.65ct) is on the right.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, all ACA's will be cut to super ideal parameters and will be gorgeous. The specs I mentioned are MY preferences and what I tend to perceive as a very fiery stone.

If you look on the WF website, watch the videos of stones with these parameters or very similar and I think most would agree they do the magic fire dance. ;)2

Other combos may appeal more to your eye so do not let my preferences deter you in any manner.

When are you releasing WF to start?? So excited for you!

And @Wewechew your actual dog photo is hilarious. Should totally be your avatar. Makes me smile. =)2

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see we are a bunch of dog lovers.

My choc lab, Stella, doing what she does best. This particular day, she was pouting because I wouldn't let her on the couch with me as I was working on something. She did such a good job pouting she fell asleep for real. :lol:

She's spoiled rotten. Thinking about buying her one of those Light Box synthetic diamonds for her collar, if they are cut well. You can't see it here, but she has a pink collar and loses her mind if you take off her "jewelry".

IMG_1535723809414.jpg

ice empress

Shiny_Rock
Omg. So so adorable!!

These babies truly have mastered the art of giving us their best “puppy eyes”

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And @Wewechew your actual dog photo is hilarious. Should totally be your avatar. Makes me smile. =)2
I would change it to him, except he’s a boy and I don’t think he would appreciate wearing jewelry for a photo op :lol:
CA9557DC-F819-4201-809A-CA3B39AB1FF2.jpeg

You inspired me to change my avatar... also, here is a gratuitous photo of my very own fur baby!

:love:
Oh how cute! Love the ears!
I see we are a bunch of dog lovers.

My choc lab, Stella, doing what she does best. This particular day, she was pouting because I wouldn't let her on the couch with me as I was working on something. She did such a good job pouting she fell asleep for real. :lol:

She's spoiled rotten. Thinking about buying her one of those Light Box synthetic diamonds for her collar, if they are cut well. You can't see it here, but she has a pink collar and loses her mind if you take off her "jewelry".

IMG_1535723809414.jpg
One of our pibbles is like that- he gets concerned when we take off his collar lol

Last edited:

ice empress

Shiny_Rock
I’m going to bump this thread by reposting the latest question...
Yes, all ACA's will be cut to super ideal parameters and will be gorgeous. The specs I mentioned are MY preferences and what I tend to perceive as a very fiery stone.

If you look on the WF website, watch the videos of stones with these parameters or very similar and I think most would agree they do the magic fire dance. ;)2

Other combos may appeal more to your eye so do not let my preferences deter you in any manner.

When are you releasing WF to start?? So excited for you!

I need to have the decision (and deposit transferred) in the next 2 business days...

ice empress

Shiny_Rock
593A0569-B9DF-4190-8C43-0C0D6C9E5446.jpeg 593A0569-B9DF-4190-8C43-0C0D6C9E5446.jpeg 593A0569-B9DF-4190-8C43-0C0D6C9E5446.jpeg I’m going to bump the thread by reposting the latest conundrum...

I am going to have whiteflash custom cut an ACA. They were kindly able to provide three options with identical cut (ACA), color (G) and clarity (VS2).

What are your insights with regards to value, size, price between:

Option 1:
3.40-3.45ct (9.60-9.70mm) - $77,268

Option 2:
3.50-3.55ct (9.70-9.80mm) - $81,407

Option 3:
3.60-3.65ct (9.80-9.90mm) - $85,049

Please keep in mind that it will be set in a VC Emilya, which will probably add ~3mm width (given that frankiextah’s 3.075 carat emilya halo added 2.8mm).

Thanks again everyone!!! Your help has been most invaluable =)2

For reference, here are options 1 (left) and 3 (right) with and without the halo

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you can comfortably afford it, I’d go with option 3. Go big or go home. I’m afraid if you went with 1 you would regret not going bigger. I would max out your size so you only do this once (in theory... I mean this is PS:lol:).

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What does your heart say to you? I don't see a meaningfulful difference in size, particularly when you add in the halo, so I personally would go with #1. With the delicate size of your fingers it will be a substantial look. Perhaps try some paper cutouts to see how the difference looks to you? It will be beautiful, whatever you choose :mrgreen2:

Last edited:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m going to bump this thread by reposting the latest question...

I need to have the decision (and deposit transferred) in the next 2 business days...
Hard to give any advice w/o more information. We are talking about a $80K+ diamond. :$$):

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you can comfortably afford it, I’d go with option 3. Go big or go home. I’m afraid if you went with 1 you would regret not going bigger. I would max out your size so you only do this once (in theory... I mean this is PS:lol:).

+1. Go for the biggest (you can afford), all other things being equal.

atp223

Shiny_Rock
The problem with going this custom route is that you don’t actually know the final dimensions. So, you could luck out in the first scenario and get up to 9.7 mm, or get unlucky in the third situation and get 9.8 mm. Then you would have paid 8000 extra dollars, which isn’t much considering your budget, but would cover the cost of the setting, and you get basically no visible difference. I am always a fan of go big or go home, and if you were guaranteed 9.9 mm vs. 9.6 mm I would say go for the biggest one. But since it is not a guarantee and the diamteters could end up a lot closer than that, I would just do option one.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd pick option 1 and use the 'savings' for your Emilya. There will barely be a visible difference once the stone goes into the halo. And as someone else mentioned, you could get lucky in terms of diameter. If this were going into a different setting, I'd say choose the largest.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d pick option #1. My head can’t wrap itself around paying $8,000 more for a .2mm gain in size, especially when it’s also going into a halo.

It’s going to be STUNNING no matter what, and I can’t wait to see it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results