shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement Ring Shopping - Tiffany & Co?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ringshopper2008

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/5/2008 3:21:48 PM
Author: Dreamgirl

Date: 5/2/2008 12:23:42 PM
Author: ringshopper2008

Date: 5/2/2008 12:14:01 PM
Same here. I love your Lucida bee! (I've seen your other photos you have posted as well and never got to comment!) Was it a huge price difference between the I and H?
i know this question wasn't directed at me, but roughly the difference in the rings i looked at (H vs I) was approximately 4k, but there was also a jump in clarity with those rings (the H ring was of higher clarity as well).

the salesman i talked to told me that the clarity would cause fluctuations in the hundreds, while color would cause fluctuations in the thousands.
Wow, that is a HUGE price difference for something that might not even be noticable. I'd want the I for sure then! lol
well, it was more than just a color jump- it was:

H/VVSI
I/VS1

Unfortunately, I didn't get to see them both in person- only saw the H/VVSI (and loved it!).

ringshopper2008

Shiny_Rock
The update on my shopping is that in spite of going to many places at this point, I remain fixated on the Novo. So, it appears as though that will be the ring I get. I just need the salesman to come through and get some that are in the ranges I asked for now!

All this in spite of all of the Tiffany hate campaigning I have read on here.
19.gif

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/5/2008 8:12:18 PM
I remain fixated on the Novo. So, it appears as though that will be the ring I get.
Your girlfriend is SO lucky! I am fixated on this ring as well. I fell in LOVE with it last summer. Please, if you do purchase, share some photos with us!
30.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
The update on my shopping is that in spite of going to many places at this point, I remain fixated on the Novo. So, it appears as though that will be the ring I get. I just need the salesman to come through and get some that are in the ranges I asked for now!

All this in spite of all of the Tiffany hate campaigning I have read on here.
19.gif

I was the same with my lucida. I searched high and low for one that I liked as much but couldn''t find it. I hope that the salesman finds the perfect one for you soon! It''s a beautiful ring.

ringshopper2008

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/5/2008 9:18:15 PM

I remain fixated on the Novo. So, it appears as though that will be the ring I get.
Your girlfriend is SO lucky! I am fixated on this ring as well. I fell in LOVE with it last summer. Please, if you do purchase, share some photos with us!
30.gif
I will definitely post some pictures once I am able to find and buy the right ring
21.gif

ringshopper2008

Shiny_Rock
this is what I have to choose from (although the salesman isn't sure he can get ALL of these in for me to look at)-

1.18ct. I, VS1 (cheapest)
1.20ct. H,VVS2
1.31ct. H,VS1
1.25ct. H, VVS1 (most expensive)

There is of course a pretty good sized price difference in those 4. Ideally I want to see all of these and then choose!

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Maybe just tell him you really prefer to look at all 4 of them to make your final decision. Im sure he could get them all in for you if you tell him that. Tell him how you feel about it.

Oh also, in my opinion: not sure of the price difference between the 1.18 & 1.20, but you should hardly notice the size difference. Also, if you cant tell color difference, I personally would take the 1.18.

Or I would take the 1.31 over the 1.25 based on getting the larger stone for less money than the 1.25 and it has the same color grade. But that's just me
28.gif

(These opinions are all based on size and color, not clarity obviously and that depends on how important that is to you. But I would think vs1,vvs1 & vvs2 is hardly noticeable and VERY good anyway. Am I wrong? vvs is better though. But how much better? I guess it depends on the stone itself.)

ringshopper2008

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/6/2008 4:06:48 PM
Maybe just tell him you really prefer to look at all 4 of them to make your final decision. Im sure he could get them all in for you if you tell him that. Tell him how you feel about it.

Oh also, in my opinion: not sure of the price difference between the 1.18 & 1.20, but you should hardly notice the size difference. Also, if you cant tell color difference, I personally would take the 1.18.

Or I would take the 1.31 over the 1.25 based on getting the larger stone for less money than the 1.25 and it has the same color grade. But that''s just me
28.gif

(These opinions are all based on size and color, not clarity obviously and that depends on how important that is to you. But I would think vs1,vvs1 & vvs2 is hardly noticeable and VERY good anyway. Am I wrong? I guess it depends on the stones.)
dreamgirl you and I see eye-to-eye on this. You''re quickly becoming my favorite person on this thing. I also figured that of those 4, I would either come away with the 1.31 or the 1.18. I asked him to request all four to be shipped to the store, so that I can truly make an assessment before I make this all important decision.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Right on! (HIGH 5!)
35.gif
Thank you so much! Im glad you find my input helpful! I find this to be extremely exciting....
28.gif

ringshopper2008

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/6/2008 4:36:50 PM
Right on! (HIGH 5!)
35.gif
Thank you so much! Im glad you find my input helpful! I find this to be extremely exciting....
28.gif
If she says no when i propose, I will be sure to give you a call.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
WORKS FOR ME!!!
30.gif
I'll say yes now! ha! I better tell the boyfriend he has some major competition! Honestly though, I don't see her turning you down. You are so great to work so hard at getting her the "perfect" ring. You must love this girl a lot and I'll bet she loves you just as much!

ringshopper2008

Shiny_Rock
Salesman said I am on a waiting list to see all 3. Said it will take about a week before anything is available. Hopefully nobody buys them in the meantime!!!
29.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/6/2008 7:55:50 PM
Salesman said I am on a waiting list to see all 3. Said it will take about a week before anything is available. Hopefully nobody buys them in the meantime!!!
29.gif

I''ll keep my fingers crossed for you! Hopefully they won''t be bought in the meantime.

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Hey ringshopper, I''m sure you already thought of this but what about VS2?

And 3rd on the list! Hooey!

Seriously tell them you need to see them now posssibly speak to manager or personal shopper.

There were plenty of Novo''s in your range at South Coast Plaza, CA!!!!!!!!!! You could call Cindy Yang herself (personal shopper there).

Glad you picked up on the T hate campaigning. But this is mainly a forum for internet vendors, etc.....

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/7/2008 11:56:21 AM
Author: lisa1.01fvs1
Glad you picked up on the T hate campaigning. But this is mainly a forum for internet vendors, etc.....
Yeah, and the lucky Tiffany owners are in an elite league of their own.

Im happy they will bring them in for you to look at! I will keep my fingers crossed for you as well.

ringshopper2008

Shiny_Rock
Hey ringshopper, I''m sure you already thought of this but what about VS2?

And 3rd on the list! Hooey!

Seriously tell them you need to see them now posssibly speak to manager or personal shopper.

There were plenty of Novo''s in your range at South Coast Plaza, CA!!!!!!!!!! You could call Cindy Yang herself (personal shopper there).

I did ask about VS2 as well, but according to the salesman there weren''t any currently out there in the size range I am looking for (1.20-1.30).

What is a "personal shopper"? Do you think my salesman is selectively telling me what he has? hmmmm
11.gif

The two biggest themes I have picked up on during my short time here are:
1] I hate Tiffany''s
2] Buy a Hearts & Arrows Diamond from WhiteFlash!!!

haha. In spite of that, I have still found this site to be full of very helpful information.

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/7/2008 2:38:02 PM

Im happy they will bring them in for you to look at! I will keep my fingers crossed for you as well.
Not sure what u meant by this.

Sounds rather snarky though. And to think I just got done leaving a welcoming, supportive post to a new PS member about how we are so informed and helpful.

And yes this forum is mainly geared towards internet vendors for diamonds and settings not B&M stores.

If this means those who have non-net items are elitist then so be it.
35.gif

Ringshopper, a personal shopper is a behind the scenes GG who can assist you in your purchase.

She/he can do everything the SA does but doesn''t have to man the displays. Don''t get me wrong many SA''s are just as knowledgeable and experienced.

BTW: I think your last post was on point.

ringshopper2008

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/7/2008 11:20:57 PM

Date: 5/7/2008 2:38:02 PM

Not sure what u meant by this.

Sounds rather snarky though. And to think I just got done leaving a welcoming, supportive post to a new PS member about how we are so informed and helpful.

And yes this forum is mainly geared towards internet vendors for diamonds and settings not B&M stores.

If this means those who have non-net items are elitist then so be it.
35.gif
For the record, I agree with you on this one - I absolutely am not purchasing a specific way or a specific brand to pretend like I am an elitist. I would align my choice to the way that sunnygirl (another thread where she has pictures of her Novo) made her choice. I have shopped around, looked both online and at various stores, and through all of that I have come away with a few choices. My #1 choice happened to be the Novo. This was not because I have a bias toward in-store vs online, nor was it because I have a bias toward a specific store or brand.

In fact, I own and have purchased nothing from Tiffany''s before.

Just wanted to state those things for the record.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Oh dear. Please don't misunderstand, I am not making ANY snarky comment. You mentioned this is mainly a forum for internet vendors. I merely meant there are only so many ladies here who own a Tiffany compared to all the other brands. Hence, me more less saying you are in a special group of your own. Nothing more than that.
38.gif
(just like the Ritani owners, the GOG owners...are in their own special groups etc) I never directed it as saying they are elitists....by elite I meant special or something in that sense. I have nothing against any other vendors. Goodness me oh my! Please, I meant no harm!
32.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/8/2008 2:40:27 PM
Oh dear. Please don''t misunderstand, I am not making ANY snarky comment. You mentioned this is mainly a forum for internet vendors. I merely meant there are only so many ladies here who own a Tiffany compared to all the other brands. Hence, me more less saying you are in a special group of your own. Nothing more than that.
38.gif
(just like the Ritani owners, the GOG owners...are in their own special groups etc) I never directed it as saying they are elitists....by elite I meant special or something in that sense. I have nothing against any other vendors. Goodness me oh my! Please, I meant no harm!
32.gif

I figured that you meant it that way Dreamgirl.

ringshopper2008

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/8/2008 3:05:48 PM
Author: bee*

Date: 5/8/2008 2:40:27 PM
Oh dear. Please don''t misunderstand, I am not making ANY snarky comment. You mentioned this is mainly a forum for internet vendors. I merely meant there are only so many ladies here who own a Tiffany compared to all the other brands. Hence, me more less saying you are in a special group of your own. Nothing more than that.
38.gif
32.gif

I figured that you meant it that way Dreamgirl.
i was deeply offended by her comments.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks bee.

ringshopper- Aw come on! My sincerest apologies to you for the misunderstanding. As I said before, I didn't mean it in the way you took it.

ringshopper2008

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/8/2008 4:18:42 PM
Thanks bee.

ringshopper- Aw come on! My sincerest apologies to you for the misunderstanding. As I said before, I didn''t mean it in the way you took it.
haha Just giving you a hard time... I only wrote my post to clarify my stance.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Ok good, because I am truly, truly sorry. I was feeling so bad there. Sometimes its difficult to know how someone will interpret what you say online. (everyone interprets someone's writings in such various ways)

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Dreamgirl sorry I misunderstood!
emembarrassed.gif

I was wondering since you are all about T&Co. (me too).

Strange how things come across on forums.

Glad we are all eating pie....so to speak (reference to another thread where making up is called eating pie).

OP has a good sense of humor.
31.gif

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Ok, good. I feel so much better now.
35.gif
I love your Tiffany Setting & Channel set rings by the way (I've seen your photos!) what size is your ring finger? Im sure you've mentioned before....

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Hey DreamG I''m a 4.25 on left and 5 ish on Rt.

My weight has fluctuated since engaged (we bought the WB first) and sometimes the rings on Rt. hand spin.

Really have my heart set on the swing all diamonds!
30.gif

There''s a blue sapphire one (5.5 - darn) on ebay right now if your''e interested
31.gif

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Oh I know which one you are talking about, I only wish! Tempting, but I better not. The swing ring is sooooo pretty! You would be very lucky to have that!
31.gif

I've wondered about how often our ring finger size changes, I have read so many ladies discussing resizing bangs. I almost wonder if it is better to get a ring a little loose than fitting perfectly. Then again, I wouldn't want to lose it either! My boyfriend tells me that our fingers only get bigger as we get older, but Im sure he was just teasing me as he enjoys doing that.
20.gif
lol I wonder too how often a ring can even be resized.

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
So DG do you guys have a date in mind for wedding ring purchase proposal, etc.

Sounds like you want the Novo - don''t blame you it is stunning.

It just seems that so many people try and copy the 6 prong, legacy or whatever and then bash on the originals
using that old "blue box" hooey.

I love Tiff''s designs, even the simple 6-prong (sits low and so far has not been adequately replicated to my knowledge).

The prong-set bands are exquisite. Again they sit low and are extremely well-proportioned.

I am finding cheaper ways to acquire their rings. Don''t think I''ll being paying retail anytime soon.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
We probably wont be engaged/married for 2-3 years from now. And yes, I would LOVE to have the Novo.
30.gif
31.gif
I never really wanted a specific setting, but after I saw that Novo last summer, I just couldn't stop thinking about it! Who knows, I may end up with something else but this is what I LOVE at this current time. I don't see myself changing MY mind, but you never know.

I know what you mean about so many people trying to copy many Tiffany styles. I honestly think you can't replicate their amazing styles, as they always come out looking different. I myself would rather have the real thing than try to replicate it. But to each his own I guess.

Im glad to know the Classic Tiffany Setting sits so low! It seems like the Novo sits low as well. I wont want one that sits up too high. My boyfriend loves the Tiffany Setting, and it is quite nice I must say.
30.gif
But I've told him I would like a little more "character" to it. I see the Novo as being a twist of sorts on the Classic Setting. The cushion is close to being round (but it's not), it does have the same brilliant cut, and it has that character that I long for! I love the cushion cut, it is very elegant and I love how the Novo band is so narrow.
30.gif
30.gif

May I ask, is your Tiffany Setting very top heavy? Meaning does the diamond ever slide over facing to the sides of your fingers rather than facing up? Maybe all e-rings do that, but Im not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results