shape
carat
color
clarity

engagement ring in yellow gold

felicia

Rough_Rock
I just found this forum today, so please excuse my inexperience.
My fiancee and I started looking for an engagement ring a few days ago.
I am allergic to nickel, so white gold it's out of the question for me. Platinum is to expensive.
I've been looking at solitaires, because any setting with side stones in yellow gold does not appeal to me.
My only problem is that any store I walk in, has numerous rings in white gold and only a couple in yellow gold, so I can't really imagine how sparkly the stone will be in yellow gold. It's kind of hard to imagine the ring in yellow gold. For example, we found a 2ct round solitaire in white gold for 10.000,00$ and I kept trying to picture it in my mind in yellow gold, but I'm afraid it will not look as nice and sparkly in yellow gold.
My question to anybody who can help me here is: HOW DO YOU THINK SOLITAIRES IN YELLOW GOLD LOOK? And if possible, can somebody post some pictures?
Thank you.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I think solitaires in YG (yellow gold) are gorgeous! There are several sets around PS in YG, if you search through "Show Me The Bling" you should be able to find a variety of sets.

Another thing to think about is rose gold. Haven just re-did her set and it's a stunning rose gold solitaire. Something to consider, anyways.

Happy searching! I'm sure you'll find a beautiful e-ring.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are looking at a solitaire then the band is usually the only thing in yellow gold, the prongs are usually white gold or platinum..mine band is 14k yellow gold and the prongs are white gold.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, if you want yellow gold for the shank, you should get white gold or platinum for the head (prongs) or else the yellow prongs will reflect yellow in your stone.

If you prefer white metal, then why not go with palladium? It is a cost effective alternative to platinum for those who cannot wear white gold. There is also such thing as palladium white gold with no nickel. You do have options if you prefer white metals.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you'd asked me two years ago my answer might have been very different, but I think diamonds in yellow, pink, white - they're all gorgeous, in different ways!

If you're looking at a 2ct for 10k it must be a warmer stone - a "GIA worthy" K/L/M, I would guess, depending on clarity. Yenny's thread has a discussion on metal colour and warmer stones, I did a writeup of my own observations w/ some pics - [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/which-metal-compliments-a-warm-stone-best.160706/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/which-metal-compliments-a-warm-stone-best.160706/[/URL]

Bottom line - IMO there's just no way to make a K/L/M of 1.5ct+ look colourless. However, if your aim is to make it look as white as possible and not highlight the body colour, rich 18k yellow gold right next to the diamond (so, prongs/bezel and shank) is your best bet. If you like the off-white/creamy colour of the stone and want to show it off put white metal right next to the stone, so white metal prongs/bezel, and keep the shank yellow

ETA: well, there is an easy way to try on that same ring in yellow - use nailpolish or whiteboard marker to colour it yellow, and try it on! Completely harmless on both setting and diamond and takes five minutes in an acetone bath to remove. Trouble is most jewellery stores wouldn't go for it, I somehow think 8)

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Heres a thread of pricescopers with yellow gold erings....gorgeous :love: ....and making a huge comeback, pink gold is fab too!

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-yellow-gold-e-ring-settings.75941/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-yellow-gold-e-ring-settings.75941/[/URL]

ETA James Allen shows pictures of diamonds set in yellow gold as well. And in my opinion yellow gold is MORE kind to diamonds. I think the contrast of the yellow shank and the white stone gives the diamond the impression that it is perfoming better. Not everyone will agree though.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also wanted to mention that you can get a 2-tone wedding band where only the yellow gold touches the skin. I have a thin one from Tiffany and a wide one I bought online and that's a pretty look with a yellow gold er too.

Supersleuth50

Rough_Rock
Yellow gold can look great. Even yellow prongs can look great.

Here is my G VS1 diamond set in yellow gold with yellow prongs.

20130902_151257.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am absolutely in love with colored gold rings. So much more interesting and unique! I do hope you've considered a rose gold too, as rose gold would do the same as yellow gold with the nickel allergy, and its got a very lovely unique look all its own.

sparkle is not going to be effected by your choice of metal. Usually, they set the stone with white metal prongs and the actual shank is colored gold. So it shouldnt have an effect on the stone itself. I will say though, having the stone next to a warm metal like yellow or rose gold helps it look a tad whiter, so youve got that going for you. You can usaully get away with a J/K color at least. so that way, youre saving money !!

here are a few pics of mine in the yellow gold setting i had

_5876.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1366903593113.jpg

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
My 18k yellow gold shank with 18k white gold bezel

_9674.jpg

_9675.jpg

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a nickel allergy and have worn a yg ering for 33 years, including the prongs. I love the contrast of the white diamond with the gold. My prongs have never worn out. I get compliments daily. I do not get prong reflection on my stone. And yg compliments my skin tone beautifully!!!

_9676.jpg

PrincessMichelle

Rough_Rock
Yellow gold with a platinum head- wouldn't change it for the world!

_21634.jpg

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Yellow gold and two-tone antique / vintage looks are out there, but harder to find than the white metal options. I'm showing a few YG with sidestones in case all you've seen are '80s leftovers, LOL.

http://www.pricescope.com/blog/jewel-week-warm-yellow-gold-halo-ring
Yellow-gold-engagement-ring-kat08.jpg

one of the Vatche' Alexa collection halo settings in all YG (attachment)

Andelain's pieces [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/is-yellow-gold-increasing-in-popularity.156438/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/is-yellow-gold-increasing-in-popularity.156438/[/URL]

Ritani Endless Love and other settings are available in YG. Whiteflash (attachment) and Ritani web sites show them.

James Allen site shows a lot of YG options, too.

_21636.jpg

ritwfyg.jpg

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Color and sparkle vs. metal color: "Sparkle" comes from cut and scintillation, and also clarity because a cloudy stone loses brilliance and can't reflect light back as well as a transparent one.

Tint: Any colorless and most colorless diamonds will appear stark white against yellow or rose gold, unless there is some underlying body tint (brown, yellow, gran, green) that interacts with yellow / rose / peach color gold. D/E/F and probably G (but I'm not certain about G in that size) stand out against the yellow or rose gold. H ought to be fairly neutral, but there are some Hs with a brown undertone and I don't know what happens with those if they are set in YG or RG. That brown might start to speak up little?

The lower colors like I on down are more chameleon. Depending on their body tint, they may look better in YG or RG than in the white metals. With those, I really think it's best to pick the color of the metal by actually dropping the diamond into platinum/ unplated WG / YG / RG and let the stone pick what is most flattering to it. I have a J like that. It definitely looks prettiest in YG and takes on a sallow appearance in white metals. There was no rose gold to try, back then.

Tiffany replica solitaire in YG: Look at Excel Diamonds "Designer Inspired Engagement Ring in 18kt. Yellow Gold and Platinum # 671" at exceldiamonds dot com. They are not a Pricescope sponsor so I didn't link the site directly.

Mall jewelers (most chains) and jewelers in many smaller towns just switched off of yellow gold recently. PS was into platinum and white metals long before most local jewelers were. So, it's not surprising to me that you see no YG at all in local stores. Yellow gold & rose and peach gold are out there, but you must look to the bigger names and more cosmopolitan locales to find it.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a couple engagement rings. Most are platinum and white gold. One is yellow gold but the head is white gold. 20 years ago everyone had yellow gold then it switched to everyone buying white gold and platinum. I find yellow gold looks prettier with my skin tone. If you prefer white gold talk to a jeweler about alternatives. You should get what you like and what looks best with your skin tone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results