shape
carat
color
clarity

Is yellow gold increasing in popularity?

april4

Rough_Rock
I know it ultimately comes down to a matter of personal taste, but I feel like yellow gold (and rose gold, separately) as a diamond setting is picking up steam again. Has anyone else noticed this? Is anyone planning to use more than one metal color in their wedding set?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I've noticed this as well. Five years ago, I hated all things yellow gold. Now? Well, I wouldn't make my engagement ring with it, but I'm starting to open up to it for other pieces (fun rings, earrings, etc.).

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the pale colour of 10k yg, but I don't like the idea of fine jewellery in metal that's more alloy than gold, somehow. I don't like the lighter yellow of 14k - even 18k isn't yet golden enough for me. All my yg pieces are 22 or 24k, and those I adore :love: but it's too soft for a daily wear ring.

z

Rough_Rock
i think you see it a lot in the artsier designers and pieces. i don't think it's making a comeback with engagement rings. Dawes Design does a lot of yellow and rose gold work as does Anne Sportun and Carla Caruso to name a few. I'm sure there are many other designers using it now. What's striking is how most seem to capture the warmth in the gold instead of doing a high polish on it.

http://dawes-design.com/catalog/

http://www.annesportun.com/

http://www.carlacarusojewelry.com/

Clear Winner

Rough_Rock
Hello,
I'm in the process of ordering my diamond and I'll be setting it in a custom made E-ring made out of 10k yellow gold. I too very much like the shade of 10k yellow gold but unlike Yssie I don't mind the purity level. :razz: I also like how strong 10k is compared to higher purity levels. Is yellow gold making a comeback? I'm not sure but I sure like it better. This might sound really naive but I find that white gold and platinum just look like really nice silver. Just my 2 cents.
Oh ya Yssie, you were right. I had contacted the wrong vendor asking for Idealscopes for a diamond from a competing vendor. No wonder I got such a short response. hahahaha :rolleyes:
Clear Winner

stci

Ideal_Rock
My opinion is yellow gold really don't fit with diamond. I know many of PSer love yellow or rose gold with diamond but for me it's a return to the past and I don't like this situation.

When I compare 2 same diamond ring one in white gold and one in yellow gold it's clear in my head that I prefer white gold. Particularly 18k white gold.

Here is Quebec, white gold begin to arrive in jewely! Imagine! Now, in boutique we can find 2/3 yellow gold and 1/3 white gold. I was so happy but if your information is true, white gold will disappear fast. Ho nooooooo! :errrr:

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
I'm having my engagement ring made in yellow gold. I think it has increased somewhat in popularity recently, but I have to say, I've always loved it. My mother's and grandmother's rings were yellow gold, so I suppose, in my mind, I always associated it with tradition. I love the warmth of it. I don't mind the look of silver-colored metals, but I've always thought they wash out the skin a bit and don't provide a lot of contrast with diamonds. Yellow gold looks much richer to me. Still, every woman I know in my age range currently owns a platinum ring, solitaire or with pave sides. It's still very much the fashion in my social circle. My boyfriend is also not a big fan of yellow gold. But he'll learn to love my ring, one way or another!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Clear Winner|1297452241|2849450 said:
Hello,
I'm in the process of ordering my diamond and I'll be setting it in a custom made E-ring made out of 10k yellow gold. I too very much like the shade of 10k yellow gold but unlike Yssie I don't mind the purity level. :razz: I also like how strong 10k is compared to higher purity levels. Is yellow gold making a comeback? I'm not sure but I sure like it better. This might sound really naive but I find that white gold and platinum just look like really nice silver. Just my 2 cents.
Oh ya Yssie, you were right. I had contacted the wrong vendor asking for Idealscopes for a diamond from a competing vendor. No wonder I got such a short response. hahahaha :rolleyes:
Clear Winner

Yeah - it's such a silly thing to be worried about, given how much I *like* the colour! But I just can't get over it.. I suppose that's mostly courtesy of my family - who cringe at my low-karat 18k ring 8)

Glad you got the IS thing sorted out :))

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Yellow gold has been back in fashion in high-end fashion jewelry for several years now. The trend is only starting to show up in engagement/bridal jewelry, and it shows up first in the custom and artisan jewelry designers, such as J.Albrecht, GreenLake, etc. I expect to see manufacturers like Scott Kay offer more and more yellow gold options in the next several years. It also seems that several manufacturers floated rose gold and mixed metals designs to "test" the market for metals other than WG and platinum.

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yes, most definitely! Yellow gold has been steadily creeping back in, esp for the last 2 years!

Expect to see more 18kt gold and rose gold pieces.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
My original e-ring was yellow gold and at the time I thought it set off the diamond nicely. It defines the stone from the setting. I also think pave looks lovely in colored metal. Maybe we'll see more on PS.

lokelani

Rough_Rock
I could see yellow gold continuing to make even more of a comeback, but I hope rose gold doesn't become "popular" or trendy. I like the uniqueness of my ring! ;(

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
swingirl|1297457246|2849538 said:
My original e-ring was yellow gold and at the time I thought it set off the diamond nicely. It defines the stone from the setting. I also think pave looks lovely in colored metal. Maybe we'll see more on PS.

Oh I just had to comment on your pave thoughts swingirl - anyone who went to the Cartier exhibit last year might remember those pieces (I think earrings?) with scattered low-colour OMCs in some very yellow gold - they were *gorgeous*! Yellow-tinted melee + yellow gold :love: :love: :love: :love: I loved that you couldn't actually *see* the diamonds, they just melted into the metal and sparkled here and there..

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results