shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement Emerald Stone- Thoughts Please!!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
PLAT for sure. Emeralds with some blue look their best in PLAT or those with a bit yellower tones (I do not own or work with them) in unplated white gold. Close to pure green (with perhaps slight blue modifier) with high saturation (being the best) you can go either PLAT or WG.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's so beautiful, any metal will look great.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
This might have already been suggested, and I feel like you already know exactly what setting you want, but this is what I "see" when I imagine her set.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmoFeoChNER/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BlDpCDLBpdQ/

You guys are awesome! And oh so creepy in your judgement for a setting!
This whole time ive been wanting a modified version of her "Sierra" setting.
While I love French cut diamonds I really dont want any other stones on my engagement ring. I want the emerald to be center stage.
Also the diamonds in my personal opinion add a level of lavishness that I really dont care for in my day to day life. I think my color emerald with yellow gold is rich enough especially when you add in one of her gorgeous designs and that if i added sparkly white diamonds it'd be much too rich, much to decorated for my taste. Undoubtedly beautiful, but too much for my engagement ring.
So I'm imagining a modified Sierra in 18k yellow gold but I cannot decide if I want to keep the 4 claws where they are as it has this delicious malevolent air about it...in the best way possible OR if I'd want double claws on all four corners?!?! What do you all think!!

Im having trouble imagining which one id like better!
Praise you all for giving me your opinion on the gold color!

Oh and wanna know how much I love this gem?
I wanted to take it with me to work today but was afraid that something bad would happen if I put it in my purse so I put it in its gem box and stuffed it in my bra haha
So I've been carrying it around all snug and safe in there and when I find moments of alone time I pull it out and marvel at it in the new lighting. Hahaha
Too much info?:P2

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
PLAT for sure. Emeralds with some blue look their best in PLAT or those with a bit yellower tones (I do not own or work with them) in unplated white gold. Close to pure green (with perhaps slight blue modifier) with high saturation (being the best) you can go either PLAT or WG.

Hmmm...now you have me curious about how lovely the gem would look in a modified sierra in platinum!
I do wear mostly silver too....but then again when I wear gold its yellow.
Things to think about..
Thank you for your input!!

& @chrono Do you really think its beautiful?
This will probably sound really creepy but I dont mean it so; but before I opened an account and was just a lurker I remember always looking for your opinion on a given thread because of your straightforward honesty and taste for fine quality.
It sounds stupid and fangirlish but just the fact that you also see the beauty in my emerald means a lot to me, and is truly a come-full-circle moment. Thank you

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The emerald is really quite nice. No treatment is rare and clarity is pretty good. So it will have life to it which is good. I do not set emeralds in YG, I think the YG distracts from the stone and I personally find it a little gaudy/kitschy. I was told by some goldsmiths early on not to also. In my experience the colors really shows off best against white metal and the particular unique hue of platinum really compliments the green with slight to stronger blue mods.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can use step cut diamonds to help protect the emerald a little. It'll sparkle but won't be too busy. I am flattered. Thank you.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh it’s breathtaking! So perfect as an e ring stone, and it looks just right on you! I would vote for yellow gold personally because I think the yellow metal makes emeralds glow and also because it’s such a classic. I have emeralds in platinum and in YG. The platinum is very cool and sleek looking, while the YG is warm, rich and soft. Either will be beautiful.
Names...I’ll have to think about this to come up with a suggestion. But for now, I’m really happy about how well this worked, and how gorgeous it is! Congratulations!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Oh it’s breathtaking! So perfect as an e ring stone, and it looks just right on you! I would vote for yellow gold personally because I think the yellow metal makes emeralds glow and also because it’s such a classic. I have emeralds in platinum and in YG. The platinum is very cool and sleek looking, while the YG is warm, rich and soft. Either will be beautiful.
Names...I’ll have to think about this to come up with a suggestion. But for now, I’m really happy about how well this worked, and how gorgeous it is! Congratulations!

Thank you for your opinion!
I love hearing everyone's preferences and why.
So I'm pretty darn set on yellow gold because I think it might look best for the modified CVB setting that I want, BUT I will say....the saturation of the blue green appears to increase when put next to platinum so I finally understand what all of you platinum=emerald people are saying!
Ahh such a hard decision!
And then I also found this photo, posted by another PSer....
eme1_3000x3000_master.jpg
Luckily I dont have to make this decision right away!
Its so hard trying to imagine CVB's setting in platinum but i also think that itd look beautiful.

I put a photo of my gem next to the setting of hers that id want to modify and it also sells me on the color!
At this point I'm 58% on 18k yellow gold and 42% on platinum.
I may have to have someone make a digital mock up of what the emerald would look like in platinum in the setting that I'd want.

180928_140514_COLLAGE-1.png 180928_140331_COLLAGE-1.png

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe not helpful buuutt... Even though I was on team yellow gold, I think that that setting would look lovely in platinum! The heavier design of if actually reminds be a lot more of art deco platinum settings than many of the more feminine victorian yg settings. So I think it's a win-win either way!

I'm sure you considered this looong ago, but since the e-ring is a more frequent wear piece, do you generally have a general preference in metal color (emerald aside)? What color is your everyday jewelry? (Not that it has to match! But it can indicate a subliminal preference...)

Last edited:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Maybe not helpful buuutt... Even though I was on team yellow gold, I think that that setting would look lovely in platinum! The heavier design of if actually reminds be a lot more of art deco platinum settings than many of the more feminine victorian settings. So I think it's a win-win either way!

I'm sure you considered this looong ago, but since the e-ring is a more frequent wear piece, do you generally have a general preference in metal color (emerald aside)? What color is your everyday jewelry? (Not that it has to match! But it can indicate a subliminal preference...)

What great points to consider!
My thoughts exactly!
When it comes to precious metals I wear silver the most as i love the look and feel but when I wear gold or metals that are more costly I own 98% yellow gold. I actually dont even own any white gold and only have two platinum rings.
I also have both cool and warm undertones in my complexion just to complicate matters!

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Maybe not helpful buuutt... Even though I was on team yellow gold, I think that that setting would look lovely in platinum! The heavier design of if actually reminds be a lot more of art deco platinum settings than many of the more feminine victorian yg settings. So I think it's a win-win either way!

+1

Also, @TheGarnetGirl, do you wear mixed metal sometimes? Could be fun to mixed them up when you feel like it.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
So I have one last question for you all!
(Although I'm sure that this won't be my last post, I'm thinking about making a new thread titled "Help Me Design/Modify My Dream Emerald Engagement Ring!")

So as you all know if you've read through this thread; I definitely want my setting created by CVB Inspired Designs as all of her work is so intricate, stunning, and are what my gemstone dreams are made of!

I want to take her existing "Sierra" setting and modify it by taking away the OEC's, and possibly moving the claws/or doing double claws and putting them in the four corners. BUT, these two ideas about modifying the design aren't yet set in stone. I'm still open to entertaining the idea of having diamonds on the ring and or leaving the claws in their delicious places.
Anyways, this wasn't the reason for my post, what I wanted to ask you all is;

Do you think that her "Sierra" setting would look equally great in platinum, with the possible modifications that I explained above?
The reason why I'm swaying between it and 18k yellow gold is because after nesting the emerald in both I've found that platinum brings out the blue much better than the gold.
The yellow gold "warms" the emerald and brings out a yellow tint which is still lovely but I desire much less.
Also, If you all do think that the design can be pulled off to be equally stunning in platinum, then I am even more inclined to add some diamonds.
For me personally if I go with yellow gold, I won't do diamonds as it adds a level of flash that I'm not looking for when paired with the gold.

Here are some photos of the setting that I want to modify alongside a vendor picture of my emerald, Please tell me what you all think!!

180928_140331_COLLAGE-1.png 180928_140514_COLLAGE-2.png

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
So I have one last question for you all!
(Although I'm sure that this won't be my last post, I'm thinking about making a new thread titled "Help Me Design/Modify My Dream Emerald Engagement Ring!")

So as you all know if you've read through this thread; I definitely want my setting created by CVB Inspired Designs as all of her work is so intricate, stunning, and are what my gemstone dreams are made of!

I want to take her existing "Sierra" setting and modify it by taking away the OEC's, and possibly moving the claws/or doing double claws and putting them in the four corners. BUT, these two ideas about modifying the design aren't yet set in stone. I'm still open to entertaining the idea of having diamonds on the ring and or leaving the claws in their delicious places.
Anyways, this wasn't the reason for my post, what I wanted to ask you all is;

Do you think that her "Sierra" setting would look equally great in platinum, with the possible modifications that I explained above?
The reason why I'm swaying between it and 18k yellow gold is because after nesting the emerald in both I've found that platinum brings out the blue much better than the gold.
The yellow gold "warms" the emerald and brings out a yellow tint which is still lovely but I desire much less.
Also, If you all do think that the design can be pulled off to be equally stunning in platinum, then I am even more inclined to add some diamonds.
For me personally if I go with yellow gold, I won't do diamonds as it adds a level of flash that I'm not looking for when paired with the gold.

Here are some photos of the setting that I want to modify alongside a vendor picture of my emerald, Please tell me what you all think!!

180928_140331_COLLAGE-1.png 180928_140514_COLLAGE-2.png

Okay so I'm biased inherently towards platinum. I have to tell you that upfront. But!

I think it will look absolutely awesome in platinum. Absolutely stunning. And actually, I don't think it would need diamonds, not unless they were very small accent diamonds. I DO understand why people set emeralds in gold, and I do agree that is very warm and lush, but for your particular stone...

It doesn't surprise me at all that platinum would pull out the blueness to the emerald, and I think that as you were so keen to find a blue-green emerald, it pays towards you setting it in a way that also highlights that feature of your absolutely stunning emerald. Yellow gold would bring out the green.

Have you chosen a name yet?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to say I vote yellow gold.
I have my emerald set in two tone with a yellow gold bezel and it just glows. Honestly I think the yellow gold amps the blue as well as green but makes it a warm rich blue where as plat I think makes blues look “colder”.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You need to go with the metal color that brings out the shades in the stone that you prefer.

Personally I find the large OEC side stones draw my attention away from the center stone. I think using smaller diamonds MIGHT work depending on how they are set. I do understand your desire for a bit of sparkle if you go with white metal. Tough but fun choices. Take your time! :D

MizNina

Shiny_Rock
Babe your emerald is beautiful and please call her Esma if you love it they can be sisters from afar

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that setting, ( maybe smaller diamonds?) but I am having a harder time imagining it in platinum. Somehow the style of that setting seems fitting to yellow because of the simplicity of it. It certainly would be lovely in platinum, just harder for me personally to imagine....trust your own gut feeling on this.

Another name option..Eros.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Thank all of you for your kind opinions! :kiss2:

My initial and intuitive feeling is to have it set in yellow gold, as the emerald truly does glow.:mrgreen:
A modified version of her fabulous Sierra without diamonds would be so classy and striking in my mind in YG alone with my emerald and her lovely design. Ahhh *swoon*
BUT when I started to really look at the colors that each metal brought out I about fell over for the color platinum "turned" my emerald.
Although it does that which is such a huge factor in my mind, I see it as less of an engagement ring and more of an heirloom.

In the end I will always go with my intuition! So we'll see! I have some time and this is a fun process!

Heres some photos that I compiled with emeralds that are somewhat similar to the color of mine.
Im not sure if some are set in WG or platinum but the same overall look is there.
I can definetely see the icy blue that a silver colored metal brings through but Im also able to see the glow in all of the YG pieces!

Oh & @MizNina , You are too kind!
I will most definetely place Esma back in the running then (;
What lovely blue/green sisters they'd be!

Silver metaled Inspiration:

2.84ct emerald and diamond engagement ring, price upon request, Mark Broumand.jpg emerald_ring.jpeg 102115_LWC_ERSTWHILE_2192_4285_THUMB_1024x1024.jpg 20170316_ERSTWHILE_2909_4124_THUMB_e2ef8990-d377-4f93-aa53-b564ed441d23_768x768.jpg 1331-3.jpg 0299_1.jpg eme1_3000x3000_master.jpg Columbian_Emerald-300x198.jpg

YG Inspiration:
download.jpeg

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
More Glowy YG:
art-deco-emerald-ring-antique-art-deco-emerald-diamond-18ct-gold-and-platinum-ring.jpg Custom-Rose-Gold-Emerald-Ring-flat-1427.jpg IMG_8337_1024x1024.jpeg trabert-goldsmiths-293cts-columbian-emerald-bezel.jpg 6-26-carat-emerald-and-diamond-ring-in-18-karat-yellow-gold-1_1_30-1-4977.jpg images (2).jpeg inspiration-ideas-emerald-rings-with-peter-mcbride-emerald-rings.jpg emm.jpg emr.jpg

Oops I just realized that the 2nd/3rd are in rose gold! I also thought about that option but I'm so worried that it will go out of trend as quickly as it came into it. :/
What do you guys think about rose gold for my emerald? For an engagement ring?
Too much? Too trendy?

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I took some quick photos of my emerald with my only rose gold piece that I have!
It oddly brings out both what platinum and YG do for my gem at the same time.
I just cant get over the fact that its so trendy right now.
20181124_203523~2.jpg 20181124_203540~2.jpg 20181124_203601~2.jpg

& Just for comparison (:

Yellow gold chain; Horrible photo but the glow is definetely there. Seems warmest and more comforting compared to the rest.
20181124_203720~2.jpg

Platinum (Ok its WG but I'm much too lazy to go open the safe and get my ring. Sue me!);

20181124_204027~2.jpg
See what a silver metal does to the blue? It creates this yummy delicious icy-ness.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
1 for Platinum/White Gold

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm... I feel like I still call on team yg...

But that rose gold looks much better than I would have expected! I guess it makes sense, since red and green are complementary colors, that the pink would really make the green pop. Definitely see what you mean with fear that the rose gold may be too trendy though... For a fun ring, yes, but for the e-ring?

Though with such a beautiful stone, you can't go wrong!

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
How about mixing it up... what about a platinum bezel or platinum touching the the emerald somehow and then yellow gold for the shank and other accents that rise up and touch the emerald or come very close to it. That way you can pull out both features of the emerald that you like? I imagine CvB can design you something like that and it would be pretty awesome.

I like the mixed gold one and the silver one - because of the blue in your emerald.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I vote a WG head and a YG shank. So you can have your blue pop but the rest of the ring is in the gold you prefer. No need to rhodium dip so often also,

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
How about mixing it up... what about a platinum bezel or platinum touching the the emerald somehow and then yellow gold for the shank and other accents that rise up and touch the emerald or come very close to it. That way you can pull out both features of the emerald that you like? I imagine CvB can design you something like that and it would be pretty awesome.

I like the mixed gold one and the silver one - because of the blue in your emerald.

This actually sounds like a perfect mixture of both worlds!
I'm just trying to imagine what it'd look like and If it'd look too color-block-y and not cohesive enough?
I want it all to flow well together obviously, hmm. Anybody know of any good websites that are free or any free downloadable editing tools that would allow me to edit the platinum changes to CVB's setting?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results