shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald Shape Diamond Help

KEV123

Rough_Rock
Jumping back on here for some advice, this time for a friend! Also, THANK YOU so much to prior helpers with my WF WCA upgrade, still in total love with the stone!

Friend loves Emerald cut diamond engagement rings. Helping her (soon to be) fiance pick it out and want to make sure she absolutely loves it!

Open to ANY and ALL tips/tricks for this cut to get started:

- Is there such a thing as a "premier" cut vendor like White Flash etc. for Emerald cut diamonds? I know for rounds the cut is HUGE in terms of performance but not sure with this shape.
- Are there any dimensions to be super mindful of with an Emerald/step cut stone?
- Any suggestions for top notch vendors or pretty much all vendors (wholesalers, blue nile etc.) similar in quality for emeralds?

We are going to look for an SI1 or better stone as we know inclusions are more obvious with step cuts but that is all I have so far!

Appreciate help :).

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Brian Gavin has ideal cut emerald cuts..Jon at distinctive gems used to source them when he was at GOG. IDJ and rockdiamond can also source!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What to look for when searching for an Emerald-cut stone. Some of these are pretty obvious. There are no specific
numbers to hunt for.

- look for the diamond to flash all the way into the center.
Example of flashing all the way to center

Example of NOT flashing in the center (just not much going on in center)

-should look like a hall of mirrors with facets going on/off (white/black)
Good Example of lots of flashing

-make sure there are not too many facets off (black) at the same time or stone will overall look dark
Example of too many facets off at same time

-make sure there are not 2 steps going off (or on) at the same time or it will look like one big step or uneven size steps
Example of 2 steps on or off at the same time

For your reading pleasure:read:

KEV123

Rough_Rock
Thank you both so much for the resources!! This will definitely help us in the search and increases confidence we will find a great stone!

Shiyui

Rough_Rock
Full disclosure that I am personally set on getting my own engagement ring from JannPaul, so I'm definitely biased, but since you asked if there was such a thing as vendors that have premier emerald cut diamonds, definitely wanted to mention them for you.

Recently, actually just a few weeks ago, their diamond designer and CEO started showing teasers of their patented emerald cut diamonds on his Instagram. No official release announcement is on their main Instagram or YouTube, so they likely don't have inventory to sell just yet. If your friend is looking to get a ring very soon, JannPaul wouldn't be a good option. Nevertheless, here are links to the videos of their emerald cut.

Rotating ASET Video

Comparison Video Under Shaded Natural Daylight

Rotating Spotlight Video

For what it's worth, there can be a 4 month waiting time for JannPaul to custom cut its other diamonds for its customers. They buy the rough diamonds themselves from the mines, hence their low in-house inventory and they don't carry virtual inventory. Their pricing for their decagon cut, which is their most expensive, is 10% - 20% more expensive than a WhiteFlash ACA of the same specifications when I asked. Fancy cuts though, like their hearts and arrows oval cut were 5% - 10% more expensive than an oval cut of the same specifications on WhiteFlash, so I would guess there's a similar markup for their emerald when it gets officially released.

Hope your friend finds the emerald cut of her dreams!

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jonathan of Distinctive Gem is a wonderful resource. I would highly recommend contacting him. Best of luck on your search.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results