shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald Hunt: The Search for Butterflies

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
No, that is my perception, too. I just meant that an arm's-length phone photo with a tiny green speck in the center is not a way to evaluate this phenomenon. All the "textbook" examples on this thread show the stone at ~ 10% of the field (i.e., the gem is 1/3 the width and 1/3 the height of the photo).

Ah, gocha

Here is a video of the rockerfella emerald in motion if anyone is interested. The image I posted is a screenshot from around the 50 sec mark.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
I picked up my emerald today! Some more pictures/videos~

It's so finicky to take a picture of....the color irl is even more vivid and saturated! It's a gorgeous duck green-- the bluish tinge is more apparent seeing it in person. Also the mariposa effect is gorgeous-- it lends this velvety appearance which is magical. This might be arrogant of me, but the color really does rival the emeralds I've seen at high end jewelers e.g. Bvlgari, Harry Winston, etc.

VeryUndecided

Shiny_Rock
I picked up my emerald today! Some more pictures/videos~

It's so finicky to take a picture of....the color irl is even more vivid and saturated! It's a gorgeous duck green-- the bluish tinge is more apparent seeing it in person. Also the mariposa effect is gorgeous-- it lends this velvety appearance which is magical. This might be arrogant of me, but the color really does rival the emeralds I've seen at high end jewelers e.g. Bvlgari, Harry Winston, etc.

Really pretty! I think you have good eye for color!
By the way, your new stone would go amazingly well with the bright green seasonal Hermes color they have this fall. Maybe you should look into it.

I would be really interested to see how you're gonna mount the stone.!

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Really pretty! I think you have good eye for color!
By the way, your new stone would go amazingly well with the bright green seasonal Hermes color they have this fall. Maybe you should look into it.

I would be really interested to see how you're gonna mount the stone.!

Ohhh that sounds intriguing! I'll go look it up, thank you for mentioning that to me!

I'm very excited to mount the stone :D Can't wait for my jeweler to come back from Christmas holidays!

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
I’m so so so glad you got it! Can’t wait to see what you do with it :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I changed my setting idea again~

1640862180627.png

I think I'd rather go w/this design with rose gold; what do you guys think?

Wow you love your bling!!

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
So I've met with my jeweler, and she's currently drawing up a proposal!

Since the design is a bit bolder this time, she asked if I would like the side diamonds to come with GIA certifications. This is my first time working with a bolder design like this, so I as wondering what everyone thinks? Is it worth the extra cost to get GIA certifications for the side diamonds, or is it unnecessary? What do you guys think?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I've met with my jeweler, and she's currently drawing up a proposal!

Since the design is a bit bolder this time, she asked if I would like the side diamonds to come with GIA certifications. This is my first time working with a bolder design like this, so I as wondering what everyone thinks? Is it worth the extra cost to get GIA certifications for the side diamonds, or is it unnecessary? What do you guys think?

Since lab created diamonds are so prevalent today, for some, it may be prudent to get lab reports for a side diamond of significant size. Ultimately it is up to you, but if you’re keeping it as a rare heirloom piece, I probably would get the lab reports.

My thinking is if there's ever a chance you might want a lab report later and you're comfortable with it financially, then better to have them certed now while they're loose.

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock
It is a truly beautiful emerald and will make a stunning ring!
Did you haggle over the price? If so, do you mind sharing some info about it? I've been eyeing paraibas and spinels from vendors in China and I am wondering about the haggle room in the price.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Since lab created diamonds are so prevalent today, for some, it may be prudent to get lab reports for a side diamond of significant size. Ultimately it is up to you, but if you’re keeping it as a rare heirloom piece, I probably would get the lab reports.
True, true...if I'm going to go all out, I might as well make sure I'm getting earth diamonds as well; waiting on my jeweler to get back to me with prices now :)

My thinking is if there's ever a chance you might want a lab report later and you're comfortable with it financially, then better to have them certed now while they're loose.
True, it does make a lot more sense to get it certed while they're still loose; any future certification would be trickier to get once it's set and everything.

@Atwater Thank you very much! I didn't really haggle that much-- emerald prices in China are fairly steep, and I wouldn't say there's much budge room. Wiggle room is usually about 1000-5000 RMB from my experience.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I'd rather go w/this design with rose gold; what do you guys think?

Lovely!

Does the bezel go all the way around each pear? Or is it just kinda half-way? Can you share side-view images? I think those corners could get caught on the plastic produce bags at the grocery store :cool2:.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely!

Does the bezel go all the way around each pear? Or is it just kinda half-way? Can you share side-view images? I think those corners could get caught on the plastic produce bags at the grocery store :cool2:.

They only go halfway around each pear; my plan is to make a ring that's a bit more statement now that I have two everyday rings so I don't think I'd wear this one quite as much.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
My jeweler got back to me with some quotes!

Uncerted diamonds- 15-16K RMB
Certed with local Chinese institution- 28K
GIA certed- 35K

She currently estimates the total diamond carat weight will be 1.96ct (4x0.4ct + 4x0.09ct marquise cut diamonds).

If the total carat weight is 1.96ct but each diamond is under 0.5ct, is getting them certed worth the additional cost? For investment purposes, I'd get the GIA cert so the price difference is 15-16K vs 35K RMB- would it be worth it?

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For investment purposes, I'd get the GIA cert so the price difference is 15-16K vs 35K RMB- would it be worth it?

Diamonds with a GIA report are more than twice as expensive? I think that tells you a lot right there. They are not the same diamonds by a long shot :mrgreen2:.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
The GIA pricing is available on their webpage. Given your diamonds' size and number, the GIA services should come at about $500, which is (according to google) about 3200 RMB. So the other 16 200 RMB are supposed to cover shipping fees, insurance and... just how big of a profit?

I may be new to gemstones, but I'm not new to the strategy of quoting a client a price that's way too high in hopes they drop the subject entirely. I'd ask myself why the jeweler prefers to have the stones uncertified.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Diamonds with a GIA report are more than twice as expensive? I think that tells you a lot right there. They are not the same diamonds by a long shot :mrgreen2:.
Update-- I posted a quote based on past projects pre-emptively lol-- without cert, the project would still have a base price of 33K RMB-- with GIA cert, the total cost is 39K.
The GIA pricing is available on their webpage. Given your diamonds' size and number, the GIA services should come at about $500, which is (according to google) about 3200 RMB. So the other 16 200 RMB are supposed to cover shipping fees, insurance and... just how big of a profit?

I may be new to gemstones, but I'm not new to the strategy of quoting a client a price that's way too high in hopes they drop the subject entirely. I'd ask myself why the jeweler prefers to have the stones uncertified.
Sorry, I pre-emptively posted a price-- I clarified above!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty mad CAD skills, gotta say! Looks just like your inspo!

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock
This will be a fantastic ring! Look forward to seeing the finished ring.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m way too excited to see the finished ring. You better post a ton of photos!!!

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
I cannot wait to see! This is going to be amazing!

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
That is going to be a ring for the ages, especially with such a unique halo!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results