shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald Hunt: The Search for Butterflies

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Hi! I recently got it into my head to create an emerald necklace, so I've been looking around some emeralds recently. I would prefer insignificant or minor oil, 2-3ct, a color that isn't too dark but also highly saturated, has a bit of a bluish tinge, and has the mariposa effect. I was recently sent pictures/videos of this option that is going for USD17,010; curious what everyone thinks of it? Videos are as below:

Cert pictures are below:

260869655_1338645376597448_8054306865550895805_n.jpg 261225551_994851821443405_2475141768617056335_n.jpg

Attachments

• 1638076540878.png
    1638076540878.png
    403.5 KB · Views: 55

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a magnificent emerald but the price :shock:
Such emeralds are rare so that’s why. If you aren’t particularly desiring a Mariposa effect emerald you could get larger size for your $$$$.
Personal taste / choice.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
It’s a magnificent emerald but the price :shock:
Such emeralds are rare so that’s why. If you aren’t particularly desiring a Mariposa effect emerald you could get larger size for your $$$$.
Personal taste / choice.

What do you think about the color + saturation of the emerald itself? Along with the strength of the mariposa effect? I'm unsure if I'm seeing inclusions/dark spots or if that's just me being paranoid since this is an online viewing lo.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
It’s a fairly fragile stone. Only you can decide if it’s truly worth the price. Will you consider a good Ethopian? They can have mariposa effect too from what I understand.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
It’s a fairly fragile stone. Only you can decide if it’s truly worth the price. Will you consider a good Ethopian? They can have mariposa effect too from what I understand.

I'm open to all origin sources and have made the seller aware :D

voce

Ideal_Rock
For me, that is an emerald cut so shallow I cannot really appreciate the mariposa effect and would not be willing personally to pay a premium on. Do you have requirements of the size and shape?

My tip is to consider the depth of the stone when making a pendant so that the stone lays flat and not tilted (tilt window) when worn. If you go for a rectangular cut emerald, a properly cut stone will have more depth compared to a round cut.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
For me, that is an emerald cut so shallow I cannot really appreciate the mariposa effect and would not be willing personally to pay a premium on. Do you have requirements of the size and shape?

My tip is to consider the depth of the stone when making a pendant so that the stone lays flat and not tilted (tilt window) when worn. If you go for a rectangular cut emerald, a properly cut stone will have more depth compared to a round cut.

Ahhhh so that's why I felt the effect was a bit weak! I've seen other emeralds which display the effect more strongly and wasn't sure if this one's effect was a bit weak due to the video or just my bias lol.

RE: size and shape, I'm fine with any shape except for a heart. Most likely though, I'll go for an emerald cut since finding an oval with the mariposa effect seems nigh impossible lol. I'll keep the cutting in mind while looking at other options-- thank you for your feedback!

Miss Confused

Rough_Rock
Granted we are only seeing one video but for me the cut combined with tone at that price makes it a bit hard to swallow - my concern is you won't be seeing the effect as much as expected at that price

Neptune

Ideal_Rock
Reminds me of this now-sold Harry Winston ring with ~ 2-ct emerald with "Gota de Aceite" effect from Lang a year or two ago. Out of my league but I was sad to see it sell!

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 11.03.38 PM.png

I had to see more of it...

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock

Ohhhh so fabulous!!! If only I could find a similar emerald :love:

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Granted we are only seeing one video but for me the cut combined with tone at that price makes it a bit hard to swallow - my concern is you won't be seeing the effect as much as expected at that price

Noted! I'm not in a rush, so I let the seller know I'll pass, but I'm still looking at other options~

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t see that effect you’re talking about in this stone. It’s also highly windowed, and for that price, you want a better cut gem. If you want that butterfly effect, be prepared to shell out a lot more money for a fine Muzo emerald of insignificant treatment and size.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t see that effect you’re talking about in this stone. It’s also highly windowed, and for that price, you want a better cut gem. If you want that butterfly effect, be prepared to shell out a lot more money for a fine Muzo emerald of insignificant treatment and size.
Noted, will pass on this one :D

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium

For reference, the price for this HW ring was twice the price of the OP's stone (I cropped it out of my old screenshot before posting here).

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't tell. At that price-point, minuscule differences in color and clarity can have a huge effect. The color-temp is very yellow in all those videos and shots -- not how I would show my blue-green emerald.

And at that price-point, you would be buying it on approval.

I think you need an Inken to pre-screen for something like that.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For that price it should have an AGL or GIA report with origin and treatment (amount and type).

^ Yes! I assumed that went without saying but I should have said it.

It will not speak to quality (just "green"), which is the main driver of price here (apart from the no-oil).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
^ Yes! I assumed that went without saying but I should have said it.

It will not speak to quality (just "green"), which is the main driver of price here (apart from the no-oil).

Color, clarity, carat weight, origin, and treatment all drive price. The prestige AGL report has color and clarity quality.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prices?

The video shows a beautiful emerald, but the butterfly wing effect is so difficult to see. Emeralds are notoriously difficult to accurately depict in video/photos. I assume it’s there based on the laboratory memo. I wish the AGL report was their prestige color quality version. If it’s truly old mine and insignificant oil, that would be top.

Last edited:

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
I was under the impression that the classic Muzo color is (very slightly) yellow leaning rather than bluish like you said you wanted. Chivor is more well known for the bluish tinge.
I don't know about GRS's criteria and I can't be certain from the videos which color they lean to.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prices?

The video shows a beautiful emerald, but the butterfly wing effect is so difficult to see. Emeralds are notoriously difficult to accurately depict in video/photos. I assume it’s there based on the laboratory memo. I wish the AGL report was their prestige color quality version. If it’s truly old mine and insignificant oil, that would be top.

I agree. I would be hard pressed to spend so much more for an effect that was essentially invisible to the naked eye.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Prices?

300,000RMB.

More videos of the emerald next to a window and in natural outdoor lighting:

@demantoidz I'm trying to determine the color tinge based on videos-- to be fair, emeralds can be very tricky to film accurately.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm trying to determine the color tinge based on videos-- to be fair, emeralds can be very tricky to film accurately.

On the pan-away to out-the-window shot, this looks ridiculously oversaturated in the green channel. And even the neutral gray (?) mat looks greenish.

EDIT: this could have been manipulated to more accurately show the green of the stone, but I doubt it.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
On the pan-away to out-the-window shot, this looks ridiculously oversaturated in the green channel. And even the neutral gray (?) mat looks greenish.

EDIT: this could have been manipulated to more accurately show the green of the stone, but I doubt it.

After thinking about it for a bit, I'm not sure about the shade either-- it's a bit too yellowish for my preference.

I was sent a natural indoor lighting picture of this 1.93ct emerald; unoiled, certified to have the mariposa effect; the vendor will also send over additional outdoor pictures tomorrow.

Certificates:
WeChat Image_20211212002516.jpg WeChat Image_20211212002512.jpg

Jadaph

Rough_Rock
The 1.93ct one doesn't look vivd green to me. It's almost a bit gray.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To be honest, if you’re spending that kind of money on an emerald, I would try to see it in person before buying. There are many wonderful online sellers, but emeralds are so incredibly notoriously difficult to photograph. They usually come out looking more yellow on camera shots, there’s no way to get that satiny metallic green effect, nor the butterfly effect, on camera or video. Mail is also very tricky these days with the pandemic. One stone might be more beautiful than the other, but you can’t base that on the seller because they all have their different cameras. The more unattractive one might be more photogenic, and you would not know it. Trust me when I say the worlds most beautiful emeralds look like total crap from the camera next to what they look like in real life.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
To be honest, if you’re spending that kind of money on an emerald, I would try to see it in person before buying. There are many wonderful online sellers, but emeralds are so incredibly notoriously difficult to photograph. They usually come out looking more yellow on camera shots, there’s no way to get that satiny metallic green effect, nor the butterfly effect, on camera or video. Mail is also very tricky these days with the pandemic. One stone might be more beautiful than the other, but you can’t base that on the seller because they all have their different cameras. The more unattractive one might be more photogenic, and you would not know it. Trust me when I say the worlds most beautiful emeralds look like total crap from the camera next to what they look like in real life.

The seller is also based in China, so shipping shouldn't be an issue; I would fly over to see her (she's based in Shenzhen), but China is imposing restrictions for all cities/provinces designed "medium risk" and up so that's out of question for me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results