shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald help

ordinaryrainbow

Shiny_Rock
Hi. I'm on the hunt for an emerald that performs like Michelle Yeoh's gorgeous ring from Crazy Rich Asians (note: I do not have her budget):

upload_2019-5-24_11-52-15.jpeg

ordinaryrainbow

Shiny_Rock
I think this photo has been taken in direct sunlight.
I know emeralds are notoriously difficult to photograph, but I have fund two I like with two different vendors. Neither are able to photographs the stones in direct sunlight, but have sent me photos and videos in natural light (photos look to be taken inside near a window).

One stone definitely has that metallic foil look and is described as vivid green. The other is a definite blue/green, lighter stone. It looks a lot like this (which is a lab created emerald):

https://www.etsy.com/listing/489763005/emerald-cut-solitaire-ring-may-by-jyb

My question is, which stone is ore likely to give me the gorgeous green glow of Michelle's ring? The metallic emerald, or the lighter blue/green ring?

@T L I have seen a picture of your gorgeous emerald ring in sunlight, which looks like Michelle's to me but which you describe as a dark green in shadow.

I am wondering if the metallic will perform better in different light conditions , because that is the more traditionally valuable colour. Any insight you could provide would be super helpful. Thanks!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is so incredibly difficult to judge Michelle’s ring from that photo under all those bright lights, and taken several yards away. My guess is that she has a medium dark fine Columbian emerald, very clean, and of extremely fine quality. It looks medium toned in your photo, but the photo isn’t accurate at all. Ive attached another.

My preference would be to get the cleanest, medium dark toned, saturated bluish green Columbian emerald you can find, even if it’s less than a carat, if you want to emulate her ring.

She wore it in the film, “Crazy Rich Asians,” and I think this film still is a better representation of the color. My stone looks darker toned than hers, which isn’t for everyone, but I think medium darks are gorgeous as well. You also don’t want a dark stone with poor saturation.

0C6B3716-1336-42EF-90D7-81AD0C848259.jpeg

Thank you for the kind words in my stone.

I believe her stone is similar to this hue and tone IRL, but more bluish (cameras fail to capture the blue in emeralds most if the time), it will have that metallic sheen and also glow.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmYq7igAUq9/?igshid=1fp3kga4v8y1h

My stone is like this hue and color in the below link, and looks very similar, but I have some jardin in mine. The color is slightly bluish though, and I suspect it is for this stone as well, but the camera fails to show it. This is too dark for some people, but I love this color. Under bright direct sunlight, it does glow, and other lighting, you get that sheen.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BheqAU7Dq2W/?igshid=1b8za1av56bh9

The stone you picked out in Etsy is a medium toned one like my larger 2.76 carat emerald. It will glow in sunlight and have a nice indoor satiny sheen, but not the metallic sheen that reminds me of green Christmas bows.

5FEAF6CC-D942-4606-966C-95B92990D1B9.jpeg

Last edited:

ordinaryrainbow

Shiny_Rock
@T L Thank you for this helpful reply. Since cameras fail to pick up the blue, do you think a stone that looks to be quite green/blue in a photo will be very blue IRL? That's what happened with the gem I purchased most recently, and I'm trying to decide between picking a new stone that looks to be the colour I want in the photographs, versus picking one that I know ticks the "metallic sheen/vivid green" boxes in the hopes it will have some visible blue/green tones IRL, rather than being bottle green.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@T L Thank you for this helpful reply. Since cameras fail to pick up the blue, do you think a stone that looks to be quite green/blue in a photo will be very blue IRL? That's what happened with the gem I purchased most recently, and I'm trying to decide between picking a new stone that looks to be the colour I want in the photographs, versus picking one that I know ticks the "metallic sheen/vivid green" boxes in the hopes it will have some visible blue/green tones IRL, rather than being bottle green.

The stones we are discussing are emeralds with fine emerald color. Fine emeralds will have a touch of blue. What you don’t want is an emerald that looks like a greenish aqua, or on the slightly yellowish green side (bottle green or forest green) like some tsavorite . You want green first and foremost, but with a tiny touch of blue. Not mint green, not sea foam green, not blue green, but true emerald green. The finest emeralds have a color similar to this paint sample below, and Michelle’s ring is this hue, which is appropriately called “emerald green.”

I hope that answers your question.=)
3F61CB34-515B-40F0-9EE6-79D90B641C75.jpeg

ordinaryrainbow

Shiny_Rock
29410976-6B20-4E59-B040-5A8A1B17652E.png 4751C9E0-D423-4BB0-BD58-D9B45C47B112.jpeg @T L (and other PS’ers - I really appreciate all of your help!)

I’d be grateful if you could give me your thoughts on these two stones. They are both Colombian, certified minor oil. Being sold by two different vendors.

In videos, the first appears to have more of the metallic green you mentioned and flashes/glows when rocked from side to side. It looks to be dark vivid green, although I wonder if it isn’t showing any blue because of photography issues, and the vendor can’t show me the stone in direct sunlight (can’t take it out of the store).

The second is more expensive and slightly smaller, and definitely photographs/videos with the blue as well as the green. I think it is lighter but am having a hard time comparing the two given the different lighting conditions.

Any guidance would be appreciated!

ordinaryrainbow

Shiny_Rock
Two more photos of the first one showing a little more of the flash I mentioned F5E273DA-8CAA-4FC7-AD5D-A02DE8160658.png A57554FE-DE58-4D63-AABE-5922B8F35A80.jpeg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
29410976-6B20-4E59-B040-5A8A1B17652E.png 4751C9E0-D423-4BB0-BD58-D9B45C47B112.jpeg @T L (and other PS’ers - I really appreciate all of your help!)

I’d be grateful if you could give me your thoughts on these two stones. They are both Colombian, certified minor oil. Being sold by two different vendors.

In videos, the first appears to have more of the metallic green you mentioned and flashes/glows when rocked from side to side. It looks to be dark vivid green, although I wonder if it isn’t showing any blue because of photography issues, and the vendor can’t show me the stone in direct sunlight (can’t take it out of the store).

The second is more expensive and slightly smaller, and definitely photographs/videos with the blue as well as the green. I think it is lighter but am having a hard time comparing the two given the different lighting conditions.

Any guidance would be appreciated!

It’s impossible for me to tell you which one is better quality as far as color is concerned because you mention the inaccuracy of the photo of the top one. They both have similar cutting and clarity. It’s especially difficult if the shots are taken by two different cameras.

ordinaryrainbow

Shiny_Rock
@T L makes total sense. I figured out how to upload the videos, which are probably more representative.

#1in natural lighting

#1 under store lighting

#2 again

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Again they’re so similar and there’s no outdoor shot of the second one, It’s so hard to tell. I like the indoor shot of the first one better, it seems a bit more clean, but again, emeralds are so incredibly difficult to capture on camera, that I could be straying you away from the better stone. Both are just about identical in tone and hue! The cutting also appears to be similar, maybe one has better dimensions or is a much better price per carat??

ordinaryrainbow

Shiny_Rock
@T L Agree it is hard to tell! Thank you for your input. The second emerald is quite a bit more expensive per carat than the first. I’m trying to figure out if this is because of a discernible difference in the stone, or because the second vendor just adds a higher markup.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@T L Agree it is hard to tell! Thank you for your input. The second emerald is quite a bit more expensive per carat than the first. I’m trying to figure out if this is because of a discernible difference in the stone, or because the second vendor just adds a higher markup.

Is it a larger stone?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the first one is a no risk refund, and there’s a reputable lab report, I would probably go with that one then just to view it in person at the very least.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am finding I prefer African emeralds over columbian.

Here is my neon green sandawana emerald I bought from wildfishgems
4142AA69-B026-4691-BDBB-F1561F3FC2EA.jpeg

I’m going to see if Inken can find me an emerald die a ring that is close to this.

I was surprised to see how Michelle’s emerald looks there because in the movie, I found it dark. It’s a pleasant surprise.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
@T L makes total sense. I figured out how to upload the videos, which are probably more representative.

#1in natural lighting

#1 under store lighting

#2 again

The videos don't work...:(

Judging based on photos only, does the 1st one look to be lesser symmetrical faceted than the 2nd one?

ordinaryrainbow

Shiny_Rock
@whitewave is that because you prefer the brighter green to a darker blue green? Let us know what you end up with from the Las Vegas show!

@Rad_Fan I am not sure - I have a video of the first one where the vendor flips it over and it looks okay. I don’t have a similar one of the second video.

I’ve actually pulled the trigger on the first one, so I can see it in person. The return terms were good, except I would have to pay for return shipping which I was okay with. The vendor of the second stone actually has a store in my city (which I only realised after communicating with them via email), so if the first one doesn’t work out I can always see the second one without commitment. Thank you for all of your help! I will keep you updated.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer Columbian above African, but if I had to pick an African stone, I’d go with Zambian. The others are too yellowish for me. I think Columbian are the finest though, but Zambians can be very beautiful and they’re less. I am not a fan of Brazilian emeralds.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve actually pulled the trigger on the first one, so I can see it in person. The return terms were good, except I would have to pay for return shipping which I was okay with. The vendor of the second stone actually has a store in my city (which I only realised after communicating with them via email), so if the first one doesn’t work out I can always see the second one without commitment. Thank you for all of your help! I will keep you updated.

Good luck!! Let us know what you think when you receive it!!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can’t wait to see pics!!!

Yes, I think I’m drawn to the neon glow of African emeralds. From what I hear, they also tend to be less included.

I agree I don’t care for Brazilian and I don’t like emeralds that look like they could be a different gem.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can’t wait to see pics!!!

Yes, I think I’m drawn to the neon glow of African emeralds. From what I hear, they also tend to be less included.

I agree I don’t care for Brazilian and I don’t like emeralds that look like they could be a different gem.
I know Zambians tend to be less included. The Sandawanas tend to be small. You look to have a nice size clean stone!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know Zambians tend to be less included. The Sandawanas tend to be small. You look to have a nice size clean stone!
Yes, I told her if she found a sandawana emerald, I would be willing to do down in size and double halo it or something.

Her emerald connection mostly deals with columbian and Zambian. I also told her if she can’t find one for a ring, plan B would be a matched pair for earrings.

Here’s hoping we all wind up with quality emeralds soon!!

ordinaryrainbow

Shiny_Rock
The emerald arrived! The colour is gorgeous. I took a few photos on my iPhone outside, although it is cloudy and miserable here and I think the emerald will look every nicer in the sun. Some pictures below. Will try and get some better ones over the next few days.

It has a few visible inclusions, one which looks to be quite close to the surface. But it doesn’t bother me too much as I notice the colour, unless I bring the emerald right up to my eyes.

Now, for an AGL certification and (assuming all is well) for a setting!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone!! I can’t wait to see how you set it!!!

ordinaryrainbow

Shiny_Rock
@lovedogs Thanks!

@T L Thank you! Definitely in a three-stone. But I'm not sure whether pear or trap sides, and if I go with traps, not sure about brilliant vs step cut. Need to look for some inspiration!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lovedogs Thanks!

@T L Thank you! Definitely in a three-stone. But I'm not sure whether pear or trap sides, and if I go with traps, not sure about brilliant vs step cut. Need to look for some inspiration!
I’m an Art Deco fanatic, so telescoping side baguettes would be nice.

How many carats?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results