shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald Cut help. Paging Gypsy!

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Although the IGI cert freaks me right out, does this stone look nice? Or is the IGI a deal breaker? What even is IGI?

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.36-carat-k-color-if-clarity-sku-726492

and here's the IGI cert link. http://www.igiworldwide.com/verify.php?r=162594602

I am also considering a GIA EC and will have pics tomorrow - it's a super antique EC with a screaming culet, depth for days and a teensy table.

edit to say that if you think the first one is awesome i could send it to GIA within the 30 day JA return period....?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
therainbowradish|1452233345|3972498 said:
Although the IGI cert freaks me right out, does this stone look nice? Or is the IGI a deal breaker? What even is IGI?

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.36-carat-k-color-if-clarity-sku-726492

and here's the IGI cert link. http://www.igiworldwide.com/verify.php?r=162594602

I am also considering a GIA EC and will have pics tomorrow - it's a super antique EC with a screaming culet, depth for days and a teensy table.

That's a hard one. The stone is potentially a good performer and from the video it is beautiful. Maybe they'll get you an ASET. But with JA these days it seems most of their stones are NOT in a location that you can get an ASET on it. So that's a problem.

There is no way it's a GIA K. You need to ask them to have a gemologist look at it and tell you what the would grade it on a GIA scale. Alternately, wherever you are. You can buy it and have it appraised by a good PS appraiser who will get you an ASET. It might be worth it.

Ultimately you are buying the stone not the lab report. That said, since the stone IS nice looking you have to wonder WHY it was sent to IGI? Because there had to be some profit in it for the cutter/vendor. Else it would have been sent to a better lab.

Would I take a risk on it? Maybe. Where are you located? What metro area?

IN my area I have a good enough appraiser WITH a set of Master color grading stones that go down to Z (most appraisers do not) that I can get a verbal look at it to estimate the real color and clarity for under 100 bucks. And I own an ASET so, obviously I can do that at home. So for me, it's a $100 risk. And for a 2.3 stone under 10k... it would be worth it.

I can't say whether its worth it for you.

What is the other stone you were looking at?

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I agree with you about the K color but I am totally fine with that (my marquise is a W-X).

I am located in Spokane, WA for now (we are military and moving soon) so I am not sure who I would take it to with reputable grading abilities.

The stone is located in Mumbai - do you think that's why it was sent to IGI? I can't understand it either - the stone looks crazy pretty right?

since the stone is in Mumbai they are not able to have a gemologist look at it.... and forget an ASET haha.

The other EC is a 2.87 Q-R color
VS1
7.96 x 6.86 x 5.84 mm
depth 85.1%
table 57%
culet: large

I'll have pics on it tomorrow....

edit to say that JA stone is $9710 with the JA Advantage discount..... sounds too good to be true.... I reserved it just to be safe.

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade

IGI is the International Gemological Institute – they’re in Antwerp. After GIA, they are the second most well-known lab in the world. A pretty significant amount of polished goods in the market are graded by IGI, but they're more popular in some of the Asian countries.

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
ADN|1452235271|3972509 said:

IGI is the International Gemological Institute – they’re in Antwerp. After GIA, they are the second most well-known lab in the world. A pretty significant amount of polished goods in the market are graded by IGI, but they're more popular in some of the Asian countries.

Thank you ADN! So this should be of no concern then? How do they compare to GIA with color and cut? Like I know EGL tend to grade soft...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
therainbowradish|1452235387|3972512 said:

IGI is the International Gem
ological Institute – they’re in Antwerp. After GIA, they are the second most well-known lab in the world. A pretty significant amount of polished goods in the market are graded by IGI, but they're more popular in some of the Asian countries.

Thank you ADN! So this should be of no concern then? How do they compare to GIA with color and cut? Like I know EGL tend to grade soft...

Just because they are popular doesn't meant that they are good. Remember cutters will send it to the house most profitable for THEM, not for YOU.
They are known to be soft. Here is some reading.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/igi-grading.19571/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/igi-grading.19571/[/URL]
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/igi-vs-gia.154566/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/igi-vs-gia.154566/[/URL]
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/igi-grading-system.182725/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/igi-grading-system.182725/[/URL]

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
therainbowradish|1452235387|3972512 said:

:lol: :lol: sorry therainbowradish...one thing I've learned during my short time here on PS is that people on this forum are big fans of GIA & AGS...so there's no way I'm getting sucked into a conversation about IGI,HRD or any other lab :lol: :lol: ...I'll leave that conversation for other people to have :lol:
Good luck with your search

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
therainbowradish|1452234452|3972507 said:
I agree with you about the K color but I am totally fine with that (my marquise is a W-X).

I am located in Spokane, WA for now (we are military and moving soon) so I am not sure who I would take it to with reputable grading abilities.

The stone is located in Mumbai - do you think that's why it was sent to IGI? I can't understand it either - the stone looks crazy pretty right?

since the stone is in Mumbai they are not able to have a gemologist look at it.... and forget an ASET haha.

The other EC is a 2.87 Q-R color
VS1
7.96 x 6.86 x 5.84 mm
depth 85.1%
table 57%
culet: large

I'll have pics on it tomorrow....

edit to say that JA stone is $9710 with the JA Advantage discount..... sounds too good to be true.... I reserved it just to be safe.

Spokane WA? Well, are you near Greenlake Jewelers? Ask them if they do appraisals and what the cost is, if they have an ASET and if they have a full set of master grading stones (down to Z).

Try these appraisers too:

Deborah Wieditz P O Box 2600, Everett, WA, US; 425-347-4721
Jan Jennings 2525 E. 29th Ave., 10-B, #246, Spokane, WA, US; 509-534-6555
Janet Stevens 1800 112th Ave NE Suite 200W, Bellevue, WA, US; (425) 467-8206
John H. Vivian , Lacey, WA, US; 360-459-1441
Karen Jensen 15 Oregon Ave, Suite 107A, Tacoma, WA, US; 253-471-9669
Ted Irwin 10801 Main St, Ste 105, Bellevue, WA, US; 425-455-0985
Thomas Elliott 13240 ne 20th st suite 23, Bellevue, WA, US; 425-637-0075

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Spokane is 5 hours east of Seattle :lol: :lol: :lol: we are essentially 30 miles from the Idaho line.

After the discount plus wire transfer discount it would be $9564.35 which seems like a crazy good deal for such a pretty stone. It's true that you are buying the stone, not the paper, but I still can't understand why it wasn't sent to GIA. Makes me nervous :confused:

I will post the pics of the antique stone tomorrow and see what you think.

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
And Gypsy, by all means work your magic and feel free to share any other stones you think are wonderful. Budget of ~11K and I don't care about low color but I do like super short keels and open culets are a bonus. I do want eye clean and the biggest stone I can find for that budget. :dance:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Emerald can't be bought or selected or even eliminated by the numbers. Get me pictures, video, ASET.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay then. Hmm. I would have the stone zent straight to Neal Beaty or David Atlas instead of to you. Have them appraise it, take an ASET. Advise you and if itd worth what you paid and a nicely performing stone, send it to you. Id it's not they'll send it back to JA for you. Patrick Davis in LA will do this too.

It's what I would do.

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
That's a brilliant idea. I wonder how much that would cost to have them do that, do you know?

Should I call GOG to see what they can come up with, too? I think I know the answer to that :lol:

I will post a pic of the antique emerald cut tomorrow if it is even worth sharing.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
re igi
igi is a complex subject as the US branch is best known for valuation reports that are often graded mounted and in many peoples opinion worse than the worst egl.
These are really common in US chain stores.

However igi outside the US has a much better reputation in the trade above egl and on par or above hrd for actual grading reports.
So when it comes to igi you have to know what your getting.
That stone has an igi grading report from outside the US.
I don't trust them as much as gia/ags but they are better than egl.

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
This is an IGI from Mumbai and from what I read they are the strictest? So would you eliminate this stone based on the IGI or have it appraised and consider it if it appraises well? Im confused.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
therainbowradish|1452272723|3972685 said:
This is an IGI from Mumbai and from what I read they are the strictest? So would you eliminate this stone based on the IGI or have it appraised and consider it if it appraises well? Im confused.
imho an appraisal is a good idea and picking one that provides detailed reports is even better.
Then use that detailed report to bind your insurance policy.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My perspective is as a dealer in the US- but we do have clients all over the world:
Although I do agree that IGI grading is quite accurate, there's simply no comparison between IGI and GIA when it comes to the value of a diamond.
Even if the two stones are physically identical in color, clarity and cut, the stone with the GIA report is going to bring a substantially higher price. The higher in color and clarity, the greater the disparity.

Speaking as a dealer, I will only purchase a stone with an IGI/EGL/HRD or non certed stone report if:
a) it's a very rare stone
b) the price is well below what the stone will bring once it has a GIA.

But for consumers, it really makes little sense to consider a stone without GIA if there's GIA graded alternatives available IMO.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Excel can get ASETs and videos, you might check this one out too:
$8,600
http://www.exceldiamonds.com/Diamonds-1/GIA-Graded-Emerald-Diamond-2-34-Carat-L-Color-VVS2-Clarity-1052272.html

Also if you go to www.polygon.net and search for lower color emerald cuts there are a lot of them out there. You might want to use GOG to call in emeralds for you so you can compare performance of several warm stones. Would make a great video and they have the technology to show performance. They also know the cutters that cut the best emeralds and asschers. This is what I would do if I were you.

Here is this L on polygon 2.34 Emerald L VVS2 GIA 68.3 65 8.61x6.48x4.43

and the GIA report:
http://www.polygon.net/content-attachment.mgmt-view.versioned.attachment-en.jsa?VersionId=21429595597&PhysicalType=MAIN

Check out this 5c L asscher video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxHDkyE4LxY

And this L asscher on DBL:
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-diamond-257ct-l-vs1-asscher-cut-diamond-gia-r6350

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Alright, I am considering this ring (pictured below). Here are the stats:

3.01 L VS2
8.86 x 7.09 x 5.02
Ratio 1.249
Depth 70.8%
Table 66%
Culet small
GIA http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pagename=GST%2FDispatcher&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=12820068

And this ring:
http://www.rubylane.com/item/514555-rl-1348/3-73-Emerald-Cut-Diamond-Sapphire

Thoughts? The first one faces up almost the same as the 2.20 bezel set EC from JbG (which I would reset but I do love the tiny keel on the 2.20 stone and it is less expensive than both)

20160113_154222_1.jpg

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not liking the ruby lane stone.

I do like what I can see of the one set in a three stone, and it is elegant. Any chance the retailer will agree to send it Neal Beaty or David Atlas for an appraisal before purchase (you would pay shipping and for the appraisal)?

I would also ask if JA will send that IGI stone there too. That way the appraiser can give you their advice and you are sure to get a winner.

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
As a GIA stone in the 3 stone would an appraisal still be advised? Martin from USA certed diamonds found it for me.... not sure who the retailer is.

I have let the JA stone go..... I only like short fat stones.

Can you remind me on why you don't like the JbG stone? I love the short keel and it faces up large. Grace said there was no bowtie, was that the issue?

But I'm loving the 3 stone.

Out of curiosity and education what don't you like about the ruby lane stone?

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
That 3 stone would match my new art deco emerald cut and single cut stacking band that I scooped up on ruby lane last night :naughty:

screenshot_2016-01-13-18-24-20_1.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Faceting on the RL stone. Plus it was heavily photoshopped.

Which JBEG? You are going to have link me. Lots of stones we help people with, nothing sticks very long!

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Oops! Forgot to post the link so sorry! http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/new-additions/2-20ct-emerald-cut-diamond-bezel-ring-gia-l-vs2#.VpcGkiKIZSC

I have watched the videos 100 times and the stone seems really bright. I asked about bowtie and Grace said there was none so maybe it was just the camera. I do love the spread and the super short keel with culet, the price is nice, too.

That 3 stone though..... it is a little more than I want to pay but that stone is singing the song of its people to me lol. Ill have video on it tomorrow.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you love it, then that matters.

I just don't see the performance I would want when I look at the pictures. But it is limited by that hideous bezel. If you set it in prongs, and leave it so gets a lot of light from all around, it may be okay.

Can Grace ASET it? She must have one by now!

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
that's a good point, I'll ask her. Although will the bezel prevent it from being an accurate ASET? It's hard to ignore that it faces up the size of most 3 carats I see on the diamond search and I like the big steps and flashes. And the price. But that bezel's gotta go.

What are your thoughts on the GIA 3 stone being appraised? Is that so that an ASET can be done? Or to verify the price?

I may have 2 more stones to through into the mix tomorrow. Choosing emerald cuts is hard!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results