shape
carat
color
clarity

Education on emeralds

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
^That Romanov Russia website has some real drool-worthy items, even for me who prefers natural rough crystals. The prices, not surprisingly, tend towards the stratospheric.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
^That Romanov Russia website has some real drool-worthy items, even for me who prefers natural rough crystals. The prices, not surprisingly, tend towards the stratospheric.

This one is way more affordable even though the emeralds in both rings are comparable in size. It also looks the same style as @Bluegemz ring.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwwoGQhnqyu/?igshid=1gkvwfkfxc7h3

This one is very reasonable I think.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwPYRfHHLbe/?igshid=1v5mw2ly7aj2s

I was at a Macy’s going out of business sale yesterday and I thought I’d look at the jewelry section because I have a soft spot for LeVian (only the settings). It was ridiculous, they wanted $4800 full price for a 14 karat rose gold setting with a few diamonds and a mediocre opal. They lowered the price to 1800, but it was still way too expensive.

For $2800 you could have a platinum and gold emerald ring from 1910 with substantial diamonds in the link above.

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
IMG_20190515_132832057.jpg
These Columbian emeralds are itty bitty, but so saturated. I can't capture the brightness and the glow with my phone camera, but I can imagine wearing this every day. The satiny effect not captured on camera is mesmerizing!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going through some old emails from an emerald dealer I met in these boards from NYC. This is what he had to say about emerald treatment, when I inquired about getting my emerald retreated. This information is from 2010, but I don’t think it’s changed much.

“Yes the modern fillers (Permasafe and ExCel) are significantly more stable than when your emeralds were purchased. They are even resilient to steaming and UV cleaners, not that I would test a $2000 emerald in there, lol. GIA did tests of emerald treatments and the new polymers faired 'no observed change' over time. High end stones are carrying the ExCel treatment typically in the present. However, the choice of treatment is always a personal one and cedarwood oil is the traditional choice taken by many.”

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This thread has been so interesting to read. I would love to find a small saturated emerald some day. I want the intense color and I'd prefer a small beautifully colored stone to a larger stone with less intense color. Now, at least I know what to look for. Thanks for all the valuable information!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@caolsen just posted her ring in the eye candy thread. She admits the stone is small, but great color can be seen a room away. Just beautiful color and clarity.

B5504706-E218-4578-9DCA-00EC39CFE9BE.jpeg 04B7A007-8263-4C3D-99A7-4925BDBB6DA8.jpeg

Honestly, I don’t think the stone is that small. It faces up like a one carat ruby I think.

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock
Today I went to the city and saw emeralds in the most famous antique store in this area. The sales lady was very nice and showed me many antique/estate emerald rings. The one I like the most is of course a 5ct emerald ring with a price tag close to $60k :lol:
The green that I like turned out not to be the fresh bright green I thought I liked at all. Indeed, I (like most people) prefer medium to medium dark tone. And yes, pictures are so much different from what they look in person. I can see the metallic sheen in some emeralds, and that quality actually will show in pictures. It just give an emerald much more life, like the light is coming from within.
I almost found my dream emerald ring within my budget. It is a 1.84ct emerald ring in platinum priced just below $7500, a pretty good size of 7x7 emerald cut with two trillion-cut diamonds. The AGL prestige report says it is a Columbia emerald with minor oil only and very good stability. The sheen effect is obvious, but it is just a bit lighter compared to the 5ct emerald. I would say it is medium tone. I took some pictures of it, but they of course do not represent the actual color.
IMG_1663.JPG IMG_1664.jpg IMG_1666.jpg

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock
@caolsen just posted her ring in the eye candy thread. She admits the stone is small, but great color can be seen a room away. Just beautiful color and clarity.

B5504706-E218-4578-9DCA-00EC39CFE9BE.jpeg 04B7A007-8263-4C3D-99A7-4925BDBB6DA8.jpeg

Honestly, I don’t think the stone is that small. It faces up like a one carat ruby I think.
Now I can tell that emerald has good sheen and the color is probably a vivid green. I still find it difficult to judge color based on photos of emeralds.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Atwater

See! I told you those darker emeralds are magical! They do have an inner glow.

That’s a beautiful stone and ring by the way, and it looks medium in tone with very strong saturation. Are you getting it?

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock
@Atwater

See! I told you those darker emeralds are magical! They do have an inner glow.

That’s a beautiful stone and ring by the way, and it looks medium in tone with very strong saturation. Are you getting it?
Not yet. I really like it (it is even my ring size) but then I think it is a bit lighter than the (ideal to me) tone of that 5ct emerald. I walked away but left my info to the sales lady; she would like to pay attention to new inventory for me. I am still contemplating. Also I am now a bit lost in terms of how to purchase an emerald. I think it is difficult to tell which is the one online; I can only see the nuance differences by seeing them in person.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not yet. I really like it (it is even my ring size) but then I think it is a bit lighter than the (ideal to me) tone of that 5ct emerald. I walked away but left my info to the sales lady; she would like to pay attention to new inventory for me. I am still contemplating. Also I am now a bit lost in terms of how to purchase an emerald. I think it is difficult to tell which is the one online; I can only see the nuance differences by seeing them in person.

Yes, emeralds need to be seen in person. The five carat one has ruined you now, as did the five carat one I saw at an antique/estate jewelry show. It was $250,000 over 20 years ago!!!! It’s like the “Ring of Sauron.”

Some gems you just never can forget. Did you take a pic of the five carat stone?

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, emeralds need to be seen in person. The five carat one has ruined you now, as did the five carat one I saw at an antique/estate jewelry show. It was $250,000 over 20 years ago!!!! It’s like the “Ring of Sauron.”

Some gems you just never can forget. Did you take a pic of the five carat stone?
Actually no. My phone won't capture the color anyway, so I did not. But the 5ct I saw is at $60k, so the color in a smaller size should be achievable with my budget =)2. I wish I can, but I can NOT imagine how amazing the 5ct one you saw at $250k over 20 years ago. I can only relate to your feeling as I still remember how a Ru ware in Taiwan's national museum simply took my breath away and almost brought me into tears. Yes, some things are just magical. I hope I can see one such emerald in person some day.

Reactions: T L

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@T L how bad are carbon spots in an emerald?

Absolute no no or depends on your mileage?

DauphineMucha

Shiny_Rock
Today I went to the city and saw emeralds in the most famous antique store in this area. The sales lady was very nice and showed me many antique/estate emerald rings. The one I like the most is of course a 5ct emerald ring with a price tag close to $60k :lol:
The green that I like turned out not to be the fresh bright green I thought I liked at all. Indeed, I (like most people) prefer medium to medium dark tone. And yes, pictures are so much different from what they look in person. I can see the metallic sheen in some emeralds, and that quality actually will show in pictures. It just give an emerald much more life, like the light is coming from within.
I almost found my dream emerald ring within my budget. It is a 1.84ct emerald ring in platinum priced just below $7500, a pretty good size of 7x7 emerald cut with two trillion-cut diamonds. The AGL prestige report says it is a Columbia emerald with minor oil only and very good stability. The sheen effect is obvious, but it is just a bit lighter compared to the 5ct emerald. I would say it is medium tone. I took some pictures of it, but they of course do not represent the actual color.
IMG_1663.JPG IMG_1664.jpg IMG_1666.jpg

Who wants to see the 5ct emerald? Me :lol:!
No pictures? I hope you took some with this 1.84ct together! :love:

DauphineMucha

Shiny_Rock
Got too excited. Then I read that you don’t have the pictures. Sigh!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They’re very undesirable, and devalue the stone a great deal, much more than jardin. Brazilian material is often indicative of these spots.

At the right price can I buy one or not recommended in your opinion?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At the right price can I buy one or not recommended in your opinion?

Well that’s why it would be the right price, because the black spots detract from the value. You can buy anything if it’s the right price. ;)2

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well that’s why it would be the right price, because the black spots detract from the value. You can buy anything if it’s the right price. ;)2
Thank you lovely! Much to think about!

Reactions: T L

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Here’s a very dramatic and educational photo of a moderately treated emerald.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIFw08FjjAz/?igshid=w1e33kp44qs

So he asked 11K/ct for a moderately treated emerald...:o Is that because this is considered to be med. dark with vivid saturation & a 7 carat?

When someone recently mentioned that he asked for 3k/ct for a pair of EC emeralds for earrings, that must be the deal of the month?

The pricing is... :wall:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So he asked 11K/ct for a moderately treated emerald...:o Is that because this is considered to be med. dark with vivid saturation & a 7 carat?

When someone recently mentioned that he asked for 3k/ct for a pair of EC emeralds for earrings, that must be the deal of the month?

The pricing is... :wall:

That’s because she was asking for a much smaller stone for each earring (1.5 cts).

Yes, to your question. It’s a finer color, and large. However, when I see translucent Burma rubies going for six figures, I think emeralds are a bargain. :eek2:

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Sigh...I am still in the green zone...learning

I have noticed that George likes to show more pure green stones, I don't remember seeing many vslbG from his posts. Maybe he considers that worth more :$$):?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sigh...I am still in the green zone...learning

I have noticed that George likes to show more pure green stones, I don't remember seeing many vslbG from his posts. Maybe he considers that worth more :$$):?

It’s the photography, the blue just doesn’t show up
as well in photos. The finest Muzo gems are vslbG, and he depicts those. I see the blue

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Interesting.

He does seem to be very good at filming/photographing emeralds, unlike many others.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You might be able to see the blue more easily if you view photos of darker tsavorite to compare. They look more pure green, or even very slightly yellowish green next to fine emeralds in most photos.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results