carat
color
clarity

Duchess of Sussex

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Sorry but the black horse in the background/stable photobombed Harry. Once I saw the (horses) teeth, I didn't see or hear anything else :bigsmile::cheeky:

cheers--Sharon

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Sorry but the black horse in the background/stable photobombed Harry. Once I saw the (horses) teeth, I didn't see or hear anything else :bigsmile::cheeky:

cheers--Sharon
Haha, me too! I loved them! Their names were on plaques beside each stall. I think I saw "Sir John" and "George"

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here he is, I’m suggesting Alexander or Nicholas :D

A884A48E-0755-4F2F-A50D-26464D5AB0CF.jpeg

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

He is so adorable..I watched the clip on the Today Show this morning...:love:

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oooh, bit too Russian, maybe?

I like Arthur for some reason, although a modern, new name would be lovely. Good looking baby, anyway!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really cute baby and I loved how normally and informal they were compared to poor Kate who is expected to parade on the steps of the hospital for a sea of media hours after giving birth. I really feel sorry for them because of the media/public expectations on these wonderful young women in times like this.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Archie :(2

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, Archie..... Any clues where it might come from?

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the name Archie, even if it isn't the most "royal" sounding. He is a gorgeous baby! I am so glad Meghan did not get glammed up and step out in 4 inch heels two hrs after labor.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t like the name Archie at all, I thought they were going for a non traditional name. My friend has a dog called Archie!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too am disappointed in Archie - just brings to mind the comic books and Riverdale!!

I was hoping for James Spencer, however, I got to name my kids what I wanted and they certainly have the right to do the same!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really cute baby and I loved how normally and informal they were compared to poor Kate who is expected to parade on the steps of the hospital for a sea of media hours after giving birth. I really feel sorry for them because of the media/public expectations on these wonderful young women in times like this.
I'm 100% with you regarding the ridiculous expectations.

The following is just a rant and not directed at you at all, @arkieb1 or you, @CareBear...

I was much better physically three hours after giving birth each time than on day two and three, when the hormones have worn off and sore muscles came on top of the immediate pain. I would have HATED to parade in heels and I can see that walking is kinda hard for her...
Of course anyone who's given birth (and sensible other people can imagine) knows that she's pampered otherwise etc etc, but I hate the impact this all has on normal women. People in gerneral and the women themselves think they SHOULD be able to parade in WHITE on killer heels on day two after giving birth. REALITY CHECK: you'll be sore, sleep deprived and you'll wear a surfboard size pad. And you should pamper yourself and bond with your baby... It's not a contest for of "who can pretend nothing ever happened " the fastest. Your pelvic floor will thank you later.
Rant over. Sorry. but this really ticks me off (forgive me, I'm pregnant with no. 6!!). Don't even get me started on the "after baby body"-shaming :x2:x2

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not digging the name Archie...All I can think of is the cartoons. Like your idea @bludiva, Archer would have been cool and for
informal occasions they could have called him Archie. Dont like it for a "real" name though:knockout:.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funny how we associate names with certain things, there were a whole list of them we couldn’t name either of our kids for various reasons!

Archie has been a commonly used name in Scotland in the past, short for Archibald. A lot of these old names are coming back into fashion, my grandfather was Alfie, for example, which is one of them.

Reactions: AV_

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree that Archie is bad. Reminded me of Archie Bunker, but Harry wouldn't have that association, not being American. Still, I'm surprised that Meghan liked it.

I am a big fan of all the traditional royal male names: Albert, Edward, Phillip, Stephen, Henry, Arthur, James, Charles, Anthony, etc. Archie doesn't have the same ring to it.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The interesting aspect to the name, in my opinion, is that it has no royal antecedent. I believe that prior to this, all names of the Queen's grandchildren had to be names that had been used previously in the Royal Family. I may not be up to date and some other modern royal(s) may have been able to use a name without a royal antecedent before Prince Harry did, but it would be a relatively new occurrence. The Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson wanted to name a daughter "Annabelle" and the Queen refused her consent. She gave them a list of approved name for princesses from which they chose "Beatrix" and "Eugenie".

AGBF

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The interesting aspect to the name, in my opinion, is that it has no royal antecedent. I believe that prior to this, all names of the Queen's grandchildren had to be names that had been used previously in the Royal Family. I may not be up to date and some other modern royal(s) may have been able to use a name without a royal antecedent before Prince Harry did, but it would be a relatively new occurrence. The Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson wanted to name a daughter "Annabelle" and the Queen refused her consent. She gave them a list of approved name for princesses from which they chose "Beatrix" and "Eugenie".

I hadn't read that about Andrew and Sarah choosing a name off a list from the queen.
I did recently (like, in the last two days) read that both Eugenie and Zara are names that hadn't been used before.

AGBF

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
KaeKae wrote:

"I hadn't read that about Andrew and Sarah choosing a name off a list from the queen.
I did recently (like, in the last two days) read that both Eugenie and Zara are names that hadn't been used before."

Both the names "Beatrix" and "Eugenie" were on the approved list because they had royal antecedents. Here is the history of the name "Eugenie". Princess Eugenie's full name is: Eugenie Victoria Helena.

Eugenie

Her first name pays homage to Victoria Eugenie of Battenberg, the granddaughter of Queen Victoria and the daughter of Princess Beatrice of the United Kingdom. She later became the Queen of Spain after marrying King Alfonso XIII.

queen-victoria-eugenie-1526054531.jpg

Victoria Eugenie, Queen of Spain married Alfonso XIII, King of Spain in 1906.

This first name stunned the public when the Duke and Duchess of York announced it on March 30, 1990. Bookmakers William Hill told the Los Angeles Times that they had taken thousands of bets but not a single one for Eugenie.

It's actually pretty fitting when you consider that her older sister is named after Princess Beatrice. Eugenie itself also means "nobility" and "excellence" as the French derivative of the ancient Greek word "Eugenia."

prince-andrew-sarah-ferguson-princess-eugenie-1990-1526054531.jpg

The Duke and Duchess of York with their newborn daughter Princess Eugenie on March 30, 1990.

Victoria and Helena

The middle names also have Victorian-era ties. Victoria of course honors the beloved sovereign herself. The name actually means "victory" in Latin.

Her second middle name is for Princess Helena of the United Kingdom, Victoria's third daughter. (Queen Victoria had nine children with Prince Albert, so there are plenty of monikers to choose from!) Helena is Greek for "light" or "bright."

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AGBF
Thank you for all that information! It's really interesting.

On another note, I've come to love the name Eugenie. I had no idea how it was pronounced (I thought you-GEE-ee, and since I had an uncle Eugene, I get that makes sense.) But it's YOU-jen-ee. I learned that on the Today show right before Princess Eugenie was married. I find it a beautiful name.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don’t like the name Archie at all, I thought they were going for a non traditional name. My friend has a dog called Archie!
funny !
That's the first thing i thlught of too !!
but i remember not liking the names William and Harry, Beatrice and Eugenie and they all seemed to have grown into their names
and i had never heard of a Zara before - not even a dog's or horse's nane

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@AGBF
Thank you for all that information! It's really interesting.

On another note, I've come to love the name Eugenie. I had no idea how it was pronounced (I thought you-GEE-ee, and since I had an uncle Eugene, I get that makes sense.) But it's YOU-jen-ee. I learned that on the Today show right before Princess Eugenie was married. I find it a beautiful name.
and I've been saying Meghan all wrong !

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a nephew called Archie so I'm a wee bit biased... I love the name! ;)2

It's definitely not what we were expecting but Meghan has always bucked the trend. I bet she is PISSED that he hasn't been given a HRH title though.... :whistle:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gliderposs speculated that the Duchess of Sussex must be upset that her son was not granted the HRH title.

I am not so sure. If Prince Charles lives longer than the Queen, the Sussex children will become princes and princesses (if there are any girls) and will get the HRH designation. Meghan knows this.

The only way they will not receive it is if Prince Charles (The Prince of Wales) predeceases his mother, the Queen) and never becomes King. If Prince Harry is never the son of the King, his children can only become princes/princesses or be granted HRH status by the monarch.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me Archibald would've been royal (yet a little eccentric). Archie is an abbreviation to me, a nickname and thus doesn't sound really royal to me. As usual, just my personal feeling and I only imagine a little boy with that name... A 75 y/o Archie seems odd to me. If you want to call your kid Archie, you could still officially go for the full version...
But maybe Harry has issues with being called and known Harry with "Henry" on his birth certificate ??

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results