shape
carat
color
clarity

Duchess of Sussex

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What’s your opinion? Personally, I like her. She’s got a steep learning curve, and I think she is doing ok. I think they are in love and yes, are having a real baby which is in her body, lol.

The comments are so venemous toward her online. OMG no stockings! I haven’t worn stockings since 1997. They are torture devices.

Anyway, I’m curious what people think of her.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:eh:
She's charming and adorable. I love her. And pantyhose are for old ladies. :lol:

Exactly what I think. I can’t get over how many criticize her about it. Im like, seriously? Nobody wears panty hose any more.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, pantyhose. The name is just weird.

I think she is adorable, independent, courageous, and down to earth. She may be a bit "casual" for the royals. Dare I say, too American?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, pantyhose. The name is just weird.

I think she is adorable, independent, courageous, and down to earth. She may be a bit "casual" for the royals. Dare I say, too American?

I think she is too American and too black for many. There, I said it.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She is getting a lot of nasty comment from our tabloids like the Daily Mail here, which is unusual, they usually fawn over the royals for a bit longer before trying to tear them down. She’s a pregnant lady and they should leave her alone.

I have also been thinking there is a racist element to this, which disgusts me.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like her but think she has a steep learning curve to be a "royal". Currently she seems a bit too flashy, loud and enjoys the publicity - all things essential for her role as an American actress but less so for a member of the British "Firm". :think: They reply heavily on being tasteful and discreet and honestly a $300K NY baby shower with paparazzi is neither of those things... :rolleyes:

Think it IS positive she is helping to modernise the royals in some small ways ie. no pantyhose :lol: but remember this is a job about DUTY for life, so no need to rush in like a bull in a china shop...

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seriously, I think it is such a sacrifice to be royal.

She has been tossed in and hit the ground running. For some reason they eased other women in, but they tossed her in the deep end. Maybe because she knew she would be pregnant soon after the wedding?

There have been so many nutty comments about surrogates and she picked up one at the shower (a pregnant woman was behind Serena Williams in a photo) and the she was picking one up in Morocco so the baby would be brown. :wall:

Then some said she is wearing a mechanical “moon bump” that simulates a baby kicking. :lol: And that she should look like Jessica Simpson all blown up and swollen like something is seriously wrong with her. (JS and Amy Schumer look terrible.... pregnancy doesn’t agree with either).

I had wonderful pregnancies, no swelling, nothing like Jessica Simpson. I had horrific deliveries and I’ll spare you all details. I loved being pregnant and pregnancy loved me.

She to me has a fitness level like Pippa. I think she is glowing and because she was so healthy and fit when she got pregnant, that she is having an active and healthy pregnancy. Good for her.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like her - but I think she's being absolutely excoriated by the press. Hugely unfair.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like her, though I think joining the royal family is more about acclimating to their traditions vs. forcing them to acclimate to yours ... not that there’s not room for both, but it’s not like she joined a random company with a certain ‘way of doing things’ here. And I think she knew that going in, but I think she can/does hold her own.

I do think it’d be super nice if her American family would shut the hell up about the goings-on in their family and stop suckling at the tabloid/publicity teets for a quick buck. I think that is what fuels the majority of the media ‘negativity’ about her, along with the unreasonable/unfair comparisons to Kate - Duchess of Cambridge. They’re two entirely separate women from two very different backgrounds and both have two very different royal roles/futures.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am here to defend pantyhose. I loved that the Duchess of Cambridge made us all pay attention to pantyhose again. Her legs are already fabulous and I think stockings enhance them! Call me an old lady if you want (you wouldn't be far off the mark:lol:) but I love tights & pantyhose! They are the only remedy for cellulite that actually works.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am here to defend pantyhose. I loved that the Duchess of Cambridge made us all pay attention to pantyhose again. Her legs are already fabulous and I think stockings enhance them! Call me an old lady if you want (you wouldn't be far off the mark:lol:) but I love tights & pantyhose! They are the only remedy for cellulite that actually works.

Lol. Thanks for the perspective. :bigsmile:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am here to defend pantyhose. I loved that the Duchess of Cambridge made us all pay attention to pantyhose again.

Excellent point. I cannot wear a dress without them, but I envy those who can! My legs are not fabulous, by the way. Without pantyhose I would never be able to get out of pants (trousers) or leggings unless I was in a floor length dress! With pantyhose, even at my age, I can wear a dress well above my knees!

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
I think popularity can be ephemeral, it ebbs and flows and comes and goes. I like to hope that the brutal comments section of the Daily Mail site isn't indicative of public opinion at large. I remember a few years ago the Duchess of Cambridge came in for a terrible bashing. Most centered around perceived "laziness". A lot of expended energy resulted when commentators didn't see her out and about daily "working". Never mind that the official stand was to ease her into the role gradually and to give William and her time to look after their young family. Lessons had been learned from how lost Princess Diana had been when she was first married and had been thrown in the deep end. Now Kate gets high praise from the same site. What a professional, how she's grown in to the role etc, how classy she is compared to Meghan etc.
I think the criticism of Meghan will die down over time, if she shows she's going to stick around and prove herself. I'd like to quote from a post by kipari (I like to acknowledge my sources!):

"And the royal family tries to convey the image of being "relatable"... they distinctly so not want to fall into the "celebrity" category."

Clearly Meghan has a lot to potentially bring to her role as Duchess of Sussex but I think her and her celebrity friends would be genuinely surprised by the fuss over her expensive baby shower. It's irrelevant who paid for it, it's more that it would appear as an almighty extravaganza. For her own well being I hope she receives some good guidance because she's signed up for a life where her every "mistake" will be pounced on.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What’s your opinion? Personally, I like her. She’s got a steep learning curve, and I think she is doing ok. I think they are in love and yes, are having a real baby which is in her body, lol.

The comments are so venemous toward her online. OMG no stockings! I haven’t worn stockings since 1997. They are torture devices.

Anyway, I’m curious what people think of her.

I like her. I hate pantyhose.

I think she has a lot to learn and I am rooting for her. She should be who she is but she should also respect the tradition of the Royal family without compromising who she is. As @Polished wisely wrote I hope she receives wise guidance. The decadent baby shower might have been a bit OTT for the picture the Royal family wants to portray of themselves but it is OK. She has a lot to learn and there will be a learning curve involved.

I like her. And I really hate pantyhose. Did I say that already?:P2

ETA: ladies let's embrace our imperfections. Let our legs breathe. We are perfect in our imperfections and when men start wearing pantyhose maybe I will consider wearing them again. Nah never mind that. I will never wear pantyhose again. Ever. Last time I wore them early 1990s and I never looked back. :kiss:

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get that they don't want to seem OTT. But I also find the irony in it all. Royals, Queens, future Kings in 2019, lol. I guess I am just too American to understand it. I also haven't ever been one to be enamored by it. But I do wish them well, especially Megan. I would hate that life.

Note- I definitely don't want to offend anyone. I don't understand it is all I am trying to say.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think she is too American and too black for many. There, I said it.
I absolutely agree. There is SO much racism in general, but especially towards her. I mean, look at Brexit. People had no clue what they were really voting on, and voted purely out of racist spite. And now they're going to destroy their own economy.

She gets a ton of flack for everything, but she's in a different royal position than, say, Kate Middleton. Kate is in succession to the throne, and acts accordingly, but Megan is not, so she has a little more latitude on whether or not she needs to wear pantyhose and whether she shows a little more skin, or says what she is thinking. But I think the Queen also knows that they are a new generation, the world has changed, and while she has a set of rules and protocol that she wants the family to follow, she probably also knows that she needs to lighten up on that.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get that they don't want to seem OTT. But I also find the irony in it all. Royals, Queens, future Kings in 2019, lol. I guess I am just too American to understand it. I also haven't ever been one to be enamored by it. But I do wish them well, especially Megan. I would hate that life.

Note- I definitely don't want to offend anyone. I don't understand it is all I am trying to say.

Oh I agree. They live in Palaces!! Plus, I think daily mail really hyped up the cost. No one knows how much it cost or who paid for it. When you take away the hyped up hundreds of thousands of dollars, it was a baby shower at a hotel suite paid for by other people.

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
I'll be the first person in the thread to be critical. It's not an issue of like or don't like, but I don't see her as an authentic person. She has reinvented herself several times in her adult life. She's changed her look, her religion, how she carries herself, everything. There's no real Megan Markle, just an image she alters depending on what she is trying to project at any point in time. It's a huge red flag for her relationship. I would be very surprised if she's still a royal in 10 years.

I had not heard surrogacy rumors. As someone who will have to use a surrogate in order to have a child, I can tell you it's an awkward enough situation without a media presence making it sound sinister and unnatural. I'm sure she's pregnant, but so what if she did need to use a surrogate. It's still a baby either way, folks.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely agree. There is SO much racism in general, but especially towards her. I mean, look at Brexit. People had no clue what they were really voting on, and voted purely out of racist spite. And now they're going to destroy their own economy.

She gets a ton of flack for everything, but she's in a different royal position than, say, Kate Middleton. Kate is in succession to the throne, and acts accordingly, but Megan is not, so she has a little more latitude on whether or not she needs to wear pantyhose and whether she shows a little more skin, or says what she is thinking. But I think the Queen also knows that they are a new generation, the world has changed, and while she has a set of rules and protocol that she wants the family to follow, she probably also knows that she needs to lighten up on that.

I agree. There are a lot of posts that basically say “who does she think she is” and I think that has more to do with racism than that she is American or an actress. Also, I have seen (and reported) several comments calling her a mongrel.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know much about her or her and Harry together since I don't follow the royals. She seems nice and I hope she falls into her role eventually. It is a role that she has to play so I guess being an actress might help her. Fighting it will only make her miserable and that won't do if she loves Harry. People are mean and say nasty things for whatever reason (envy, spite, hate, racism, etc.) and she should try to ignore it.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do think it’d be super nice if her American family would shut the hell up about the goings-on in their family and stop suckling at the tabloid/publicity teets for a quick buck. I think that is what fuels the majority of the media ‘negativity’ about her, along with the unreasonable/unfair comparisons to Kate - Duchess of Cambridge. They’re two entirely separate women from two very different backgrounds and both have two very different royal roles/futures.
I agree - her family is trash and I feel so bad for her. They are desperately grasping at any straw with a dollar on the end. It's so disheartening to see a family act like that.

I'll be the first person in the thread to be critical. It's not an issue of like or don't like, but I don't see her as an authentic person. She has reinvented herself several times in her adult life. She's changed her look, her religion, how she carries herself, everything. There's no real Megan Markle, just an image she alters depending on what she is trying to project at any point in time. It's a huge red flag for her relationship. I would be very surprised if she's still a royal in 10 years.
I'm confused by this - do you mean her religion in regards to getting baptized/confirmed in the church of england? Kate was also confirmed prior to her marriage. And I'm confused what you mean about her look and how she carries herself. She's always been self assured and confident, I haven't seen any changes in how she carries her self. And people can change their looks lol. Like that's some sort of mark of authenticity that they decide to change it up? Again, you can say the same thing for Kate, who used to be quite the party girl.

Anyways. I love her. I think shes gorgeous, I love that a bi-racial feminist smart strong woman is part of the royal fam. I like that she's had a history of outreach and charity long before being forced into it as a royal (far more than kate IMO). I've had a girl crush on her since I first saw her on suits.

Add me to the list that hates pantyhose. No one needs pantyhose. Legs are legs, they aren't ugly without pantyhose.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh about the pantyhose thing. I hate the feel of them. However there are people, my 97 year old grandmother included, who still feel there are times they are appropriate. She told me in no uncertain terms that they are required at her funeral. I will wear them because she is right, though it will probably be tights not hose. That was a lively conversation with her to say the least. :D

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't even know who she was before they got engaged. She's very pretty, and she seems to be trying hard to fit in, but she's an actress and they are not known for their long marriages. To be perfectly frank I don't see the marriage lasting, though I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

I don't think she's getting any worse treatment in the media than Diana or even Fergie did. And I am old but I love the no pantyhose trend and will be sorry to see it go.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh about the pantyhose thing. I hate the feel of them. However there are people, my 97 year old grandmother included, who still feel there are times they are appropriate. She told me in no uncertain terms that they are required at her funeral. I will wear them because she is right, though it will probably be tights not hose. That was a lively conversation with her to say the least.

My grandmother may have heard of pantyhose, but I am sure she never entertained the thought of wearing them! She wore what she called "a corset" (and what my mother, who wore one for most of her life despite being slim as a reed, called "a girdle") and stockings whenever she left her house. And I mean during her entire life! She lived into her nineties!

My mother once explained to me that when she was young a woman wore a girdle because one didn't show one's curves. One certainly didn't want anyone to see the curve of one's buttocks; a girdle nicely flattened everything out so that nothing was visible under one's clothing. She also told me that girls in her high school used the term "Crisco" as a putdown for one another because it meant "fat in the can".

Aren't you glad I am posting? ;))

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Pantyhose certainly do have their uses!

They’re great for repairing fan belts on 1970’s cars.
Great as a sieve material for getting bits out of your gravy, soup or liquids, new pantyhose I hope!
You can fill them with soil and cut pockets to make a hanging planter.
Plaited they make a good rope....etc etc

Sorry..couldn’t resist!

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh yes..Meghan.
Very attractive and intelligent young woman, Harry and Meghan seem genuinely in love, that’s wonderful.
Great that she has always had her own views on ‘doing good’ and wants to make a difference. She now has a position that can help with this.
Happy news, baby on the way.
A tough family and life to marry into, takes a time to understand and get you’re head around it I’m sure.
Give her support and good advice, allow her to be ‘herself’ within the confines of now being Royal.
Stop the nasty journalism, it does no one any good.
Good Luck to them both.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results