shape
carat
color
clarity

Dreamer's Reset - Project Thread

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
@dreamer_dachsie
I get what you mean and share your ambivalence about settings and have been waffling for my ER setting. I think with your above choices you just cannot make a wrong move.

I am not going to let doubt or uncertainly stop me! I am going to keep moving forward even if it is scary! Onwards into the deep!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know that both CVB and DK have already created baskets like the ones on the gold inspiration ring, the latter on her Maria ring and the former in your ring, @Rfisher (and THANK you for the effort you put into creating it! I hope you don't mind possibly sharing that work in the future, I would be grateful). And I know both have created very nice engraving for others. So those are the two vendors I have reached out to (initially I was set on CVB but I suspect budget may preclude that option; the CAN/US dollar exchange is brutal right now). So far, I can't get either one to return my emails :confused2: But I hear persistence is key.

Absolutely! I'm totally flattered and thank you for asking.
A sweet gesture - much appreciated, but totally unnecessary.
The design is pretty old and generic, and it has 1001 versions out there.
And I love where you are taking it.

If email is seeming to fail for initial contact, it's worth it making a phone call.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I would expect some number toward EUR 2K for such engraving. This is an extrapolation from a different model however, so take it with a grain of salt if at all. Prices seem international enough - it is a rare art now.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well apparently this style -- crown baskets and engraved shoulders/shank-- was common back in the day! I found another example, by Tiffany no less, which has the added benefit of showing the detail I would like to add to the donuts of the baskets. You can see it best in the third, cropped image: there is a slight channel/groove across the center of each donut with milgrain along each edge of the chanel; the milgrain on the lower edge of the channel connects to the milgrain framing the sholders. I am glad to find these images because I was wanting this done and its hard to describe in words! lol

If I am able to antique the yellow gold, I think this groove/migrain detail on the baskets will stand out in relief and integrate the engraving and antiquing on the shank with the baskets.

Question -- wondering about doing the swoopy prongs in white gold or plat -- Too busy or a good way of emphasizing the difference in texture between the engraved/antiqued parts and the smooth prongs?
engraved3s.jpg engraved3s1.jpg engraved3s2.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the baskets in platinum. Personally I am not always a fan of yellow gold prongs although I have seen some rings done with them that I like. I also like the sides dropped down a little from the main stone but again, that's just personal preference.

Here is a side view of my current ring - shank in yellow gold and baskets in platinum. This style of ring is not what you are looking to create but gives you some idea of the two metals together. I don't think it looks too busy and prefer the white prongs on the diamonds.

Sorry that picture copied over so large!

newsideview-jpg.630959

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I prefer the baskets in platinum. Personally I am not always a fan of yellow gold prongs although I have seen some rings done with them that I like. I also like the sides dropped down a little from the main stone but again, that's just personal preference.

Here is a side view of my current ring - shank in yellow gold and baskets in platinum. This style of ring is not what you are looking to create but gives you some idea of the two metals together. I don't think it looks too busy and prefer the white prongs on the diamonds.

Sorry that picture copied over so large!

Yes, MGR, I agree with your completely about the dropped/tucked side stones! That is absolutely the look I am after and I think it is reflected well in your beautiful ring and in this image I will use to communicate with vendors:

victorian4.jpg

I do like the idea of doing plat/wg prongs because I personally love to look at things that combine colors and textures - the more the merrier. And it is a classic look I have seen many times and I do like it.

One example of this look that I found:

upload_2019-3-24_12-13-3.png

Last edited:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
After an anxius 48 hours and a delay with customs, I got this message today!

upload_2019-4-18_11-43-14.png

So Caysie has my ring and diamonds! It's happening people! :eek2:

Next step is to sell my current solitaire setting (to help fund me new setting) and then it's on to CADs. Feeling nervous and excited!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After an anxius 48 hours and a delay with customs, I got this message today!

upload_2019-4-18_11-43-14.png

So Caysie has my ring and diamonds! It's happening people! :eek2:

Next step is to sell my current solitaire setting (to help fund me new setting) and then it's on to CADs. Feeling nervous and excited!

Fantastic!
It's always a relief to know the delivery has been made, just one less thing to worry about, right?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fantastic!
It's always a relief to know the delivery has been made, just one less thing to worry about, right?

I was shipping internationally, too, which is extra scary! lol

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@dreamer_dachsie Yay congratulations. So happy your stones made it. I am so sure this will be a stunner. Can’t wait to see the finished product.
When will you be selling the current setting? :mrgreen: I might be interested...

Gem_rocks

Rough_Rock
Orrrr..... some of them may be lurking about, hiding in the big virtual diamond inventories :twisted2: Look at this huge 2.5ct+ American Cut beauty I found on Blue Nile? A mighty familiar facet pattern... And kozibe!

upload_2019-2-18_19-14-29.png

I need deets on this stone it’s stunning!!!! Please message me

Gem_rocks

Rough_Rock
I was shipping internationally, too, which is extra scary! lol
How do you send safely? Are there customs issues? I am based in the Uk so we’d be in a different boat but just curious

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Orrrr..... some of them may be lurking about, hiding in the big virtual diamond inventories :twisted2: Look at this huge 2.5ct+ American Cut beauty I found on Blue Nile? A mighty familiar facet pattern... And kozibe!

upload_2019-2-18_19-14-29.png

I need deets on this stone it’s stunning!!!! Please message me

Hi Gemrocks, I randomly found that diamond on BN when I searched for stones with a large culet. It doesn't seem to be in their inventory anymore?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
How do you send safely? Are there customs issues? I am based in the Uk so we’d be in a different boat but just curious

I was shipping from Canada to the US but I have also sent things to the UK in the past. I use FedEx. Customs is annoying and there are forms to complete but FedEx has people who guide any packages through customs. I have read on PS that when you import jewelery from another country into the UK, you need to pay 5% VAT and also 5% duty. When I import into Canada, I have to pay 13% sales tax. FedEx collects that money and remits it to the government on your behalf.

Also, in Canada, if you return an item you imported, you can submit a form and get your taxes refunded too, all you have to do is provide proof of the return in the form of a receipt and shipping label. I am sure there is a similar process for the UK.

Gem_rocks

Rough_Rock
I was shipping from Canada to the US but I have also sent things to the UK in the past. I use FedEx. Customs is annoying and there are forms to complete but FedEx has people who guide any packages through customs. I have read on PS that when you import jewelery from another country into the UK, you need to pay 5% VAT and also 5% duty. When I import into Canada, I have to pay 13% sales tax. FedEx collects that money and remits it to the government on your behalf.

Also, in Canada, if you return an item you imported, you can submit a form and get your taxes refunded too, all you have to do is provide proof of the return in the form of a receipt and shipping label. I am sure there is a similar process for the UK.
Thank you for your guidance - a bit of a minefield!!! I’ll use fedex in future, thanks for your help!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
A random piece of news reminds me of what you wrote of 'doubt' below:

I am not going to let doubt or uncertainly stop me!

What 'doubt'!

& what was in the news? - a nice example of 1907 optical symmetry in rounds www as you pick them

rambling

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well my project has been on hold for the last three weeks as I gathered some funds and sold some pieces. But we are officially a GO now! Next stop: CADs!

I had originally planned to send my main diamond to GIA prior to setting her. But to keep the project on budget I decided not to bother. I am super curious about the angles and proportions, and color/clarity too, but not curious enough to fork over the money :lol: So it will all remain a mystery for the near future!

I'm feeling a little nervous about resetting my diamond into a prong setting as opposed to an enclosed bezel. The bezel changed the optics of my diamond a little, amping up the contrast in particular. And of course, it added some size! I haven't worn her for nearly three years anyway. I'm hoping I can't remember what it looked like before so I won't have DSS!

Also wishing I had the opportunity to play with all three diamonds loose before sending them off. I would have enjoyed doing a photo shoot. But c'est la vie!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kinda a bummer about the GIA, but I get why about not doing it.
You know you love the stone no matter, but I understand wanting to know the why or verification on paper of what you see with your eyes.
On to CAD land! Fun!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kinda a bummer about the GIA, but I get why about not doing it.
You know you love the stone no matter, but I understand wanting to know the why or verification on paper of what you see with your eyes.
On to CAD land! Fun!

Yeah, in the end it would have cost almost $300 USD to get the report between shipping and GIA fees, which is almost $400 in Canadian funds! I don't plan to sell my diamond, so in the end it was too steep a price to pay for curiosity! :lol:

And you asked about engraving in my other thread
Have you picked yours yet?

I haven't quite nailed it down. All else being equal, I have a preference for floral, curly motifs. But in the end, I don't think the engraving is going to be very apparent. I do have a large finger size, but my diamonds are going to span about 16mm across the top! In addition, the shank is likely only going to be about 2.3mm where it meets the diamonds -- we don't want it to be any wider than the donuts of the side stones, which given their diminutive size of just 4.3mm, results in the maximum shank size I mentioned. So the scale of the engraving needs to be matched to that, and anything too "Tight" is going to become difficult to appreciate with the naked eye in normal viewing. Plus, I will be antiquing the band, and that means that less-busy designs tend to look a little better IMO.

Right now my inspiration is this ring that Caysie made. Notice the double milgrain on the donut, the groove down the shank, and how the wheat engraving is mirrored either side of the groove. I like all that and I think it will look good antiqued.

icm_fullxfull.112994595_3tjre2tkxzs4ccswcgck.jpg

An example of wheat engraving that has been antiqued.

View attachment 693347

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Gah...I love the details of those two for the inspiration. So pretty!

Gem_rocks

Rough_Rock
Have you ever done ASET imaging on George? I bet that would be a sight to behold!?!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know the stones are a totally different shape but have you seen the under gallery of Niel's three stone (look at the CADS on the first page);

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-making-of-birdie.247009/

When you get your CADS done tag @Niel she's my guru for getting them just right (particularly if you work with David) and knowing what needs changing even if it's really tiny changes.....

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you ever done ASET imaging on George? I bet that would be a sight to behold!?!

I have only ever looked at my diamond with my eyes! lol And my camera, I guess. I don't think it would look particularly great using that kind of technology. My diamond is beautiful because of contrast patterning and some other features that I don't think show up all that well on tools designed to assess light return through the crown :read:

But we will never know bc I don't own any scopes!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know the stones are a totally different shape but have you seen the under gallery of Niel's three stone (look at the CADS on the first page);

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-making-of-birdie.247009/

When you get your CADS done tag @Niel she's my guru for getting them just right (particularly if you work with David) and knowing what needs changing even if it's really tiny changes.....

Niel's ring did turn out spectacularly! I recall she mentioned that it took a number of iterations to get things the way she wanted them to look.

I decided early on that I did not want to design my ring on my own or crowd-source my CAD. I'm working with Caysie and trusting her design aesthetic. So far so good!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I am currently waiting for Round two of CADs and very excited to see them.

The first round was really informative bc it helped to establish some of my preferences.

I definitely want six prongs on my center stone. We explored the possibility of eight, but I want to see my diamond more!

Also, I like the "tucked" look for side stones, like this (WF Butterflies setting, designed by Yssie). I want the sides to look more like accents.

tucked sides.jpg

I have a large ring size, so I like a more substantial shank. Even with my small side stones, Caysie was able to get the shank up to 3mm width and still maintain a lovely aesthetic. But I wanted a shoulder detail that was more interesting. I spent some time looking for inspiration and found lots of interesting details.

One common Victorian style looked like this, with an abrupt "joint" connecting the shank to the basket.

flared 2.jpg

flared.jpg

Another common style had a flatter shank profile and a flat edge that abutted up to the basket in a rather dramatic fashion.

border2.jpg

buttercup3.jpg

I also found a lovely collection of interesting shapes.

Bar shapes.
bar.jpg

Vase shapes (it just looks like a vase to me)
knob1.jpg

And kite shapes.

pinched.jpg
arrow.jpg
arrowRuby.jpg

Anyone want to guess which shank shape I went with? :mrgreen2:

Last edited:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
More shoulder shapes.

This is in the kite family but it looks like a dragonfly to me.

dragonfly.jpg
Exaggerated kite with pave.
kite.jpg

Rounded with diamonds.

tear drop.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results