shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone ever feel wary of reviews on Pricescope?

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup I agree.
Those be sketchy. I'd read those and be like "okay well scratch them...". Once you lose the trust that they are honest it's hard to gain back, even if their work IS fabulous.
eta - I guess I was fooled, I replied to them! Seeing 1 off, sounds great. But it's seeing them all together and how similar they are that is the sketchy part.
eta2 - Someone else (nice ice) is also mentioned in all the reviews.

Those are the ones that got my attention too. Too used car salesman (especially the last one).

I think in some corners of PS people have moved beyond customers and have become fans (almost the way some musicians get fans) and/or think of the vendors as family, and are protective of them. It results in certain vendors bring actively promoted above all others (this may be more true in some specialty forums than others). My stalking experience was creepy but since I like the value and quality of the vendor's stock, I've chosen to let it go. I was more creeped out about the tattling than anything else. It came after many accusations that I was trying to destroy someone's reputation...even though that was not my intent. In the end I was informed that only glowingly positive reviews are welcome on PS, and that if you have a negative or even just slightly so-so experience, you should just not talk about it. I think when people get that emotionally attached, objectivity gets compromised. Plus, best repeat customers get VIP treatment that others won't enjoy (and deservedly so - but that won't reflect everyone's experience).

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, in the interests of not unfairly casting aspersions on others, here are the threads I am referring to.

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...nk-jones-of-high-performance-diamonds.210979/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/wink-jones-of-high-performance-diamonds-review.231015/

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...nk-jones-of-high-performance-diamonds.197801/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/high-performance-diamonds-review.224973/

The writing styles seem too similar for it to be a coincidence.

I'm willing to be told that I'm wrong.

This recent thread links to one of the reviews and again, seems to be a bit too keen, albeit in a different style:

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...diamond-please-its-for-my-best-friend.231674/

After reading the first three, they also have Todd Grey of Nice Ice in common. Maybe he is asking for reviews for his service too?

They sound to me (retired English teacher) like the majorty of storylines for all men looking for diamonds: not knowing where to start, doing research, discovering cut is the biggest issue, etc.

Once they discover cut is the biggest issue, and their diamond guy Grey refers them to a place where super ideals are sold, yes, the process gets easy and they can focus on customer service, etc.

After reading 3 reviews, I see nothing suspect.

(I have never worked with Wink, never emailed, etc)

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just finished fhe fourth one and it sounds like four different people writing reviews to me.

I'm surprised that anyone thinks these are fake.

I think this post is much to do about nothing.... just giving my opinion.

OP, Have you seen a CBI diamond?

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've noticed the same thing.

I'm aware of PS-ers who've been hassled about providing specific language in their responses to purchases.

Most of us come to PS to have fun and enjoy bling, so bringing up unpleasant experiences isn't congruent with this. In the past, posters who've spoken their truth about their vendor experiences have had a terrible and virulent response to their post.

I've had horrific experiences with 2 vendors who got/get a lot of work from PS people and I've not posted about them because in one case, it would most likely ruin the jeweler and for the other, would just result in a lot of arguing, neither of which I'm interested in. When I buy or commission a jewel, the last thing I want is anything unpleasant or unsettling. When a jewel goes south, I'll tell individuals about it *if they specifically ask me* and I just either take the jewel somewhere else to be fixed or I put it in my jewelry box in the "Mistakes" section :lol-2:

I agree. It can be difficult if you have a lacklustre experience with a beloved vendor, and you seek to provide a fair review. Fortunately for me the vendor went out of their way to fix the situation, but I felt a bit under fire from some readers as to why I felt I should write such a review. Uhm, so other consumers can make an educated decision?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes with all the positive ONLY reviews we can't figure out how to appropriately address a vendor when an issue comes up. It's an emotional purchase and many times more emotional when an issue arises. At those times it would be comforting to model appropriate issue resolution after a balanced recap of someone else's experience.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hello everyone.

Thank you to those who alerted me to this thread, I truly appreciate it.

When clients wish to express their thanks we send them an email that links to our Yelp, Google+ and Facebook pages, as well as Pricescope. That emails suggests they use my name or the company name in the title, because our SEO gurus have recommended this. We also list the areas in which we hope we exceeded, and encourage them to elaborate with as much detail as they’re willing to share.

I can state absolutely, unequivocally and proudly that every review about High Performance Diamonds that has ever appeared here (or elsewhere) is 100% authentic.

We work extremely hard for our clients. Detailed testimonials are the best thanks they can possibly provide. Even after more than 40 years in the business, I am still humbled by the time many of our wonderful clients put into their expressions of thanks.

Wink

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not sure that it necessarily hurts a vendor to receive criticism, if that criticism is constructive. I remember reading a critical review of BGD who I wanted to work with. She had found her setting "chunky". It didn't put me off working with them but it did make me look carefully at their settings, as "chunky" wasn't going to suit my size 4 finger. Good criticism can help a company more than a formulaic glowing response.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Those are the ones that got my attention too. Too used car salesman (especially the last one).

I think in some corners of PS people have moved beyond customers and have become fans (almost the way some musicians get fans) and/or think of the vendors as family, and are protective of them. It results in certain vendors bring actively promoted above all others (this may be more true in some specialty forums than others). My stalking experience was creepy but since I like the value and quality of the vendor's stock, I've chosen to let it go. I was more creeped out about the tattling than anything else. It came after many accusations that I was trying to destroy someone's reputation...even though that was not my intent. In the end I was informed that only glowingly positive reviews are welcome on PS, and that if you have a negative or even just slightly so-so experience, you should just not talk about it. I think when people get that emotionally attached, objectivity gets compromised. Plus, best repeat customers get VIP treatment that others won't enjoy (and deservedly so - but that won't reflect everyone's experience).

Whaat that's crazy. I know which forum (and vendor) you are referring to but haven't read any posts specifically stating that only glowing reviews are welcome. Did they contact you outside of PS?

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure that it necessarily hurts a vendor to receive criticism, if that criticism is constructive. I remember reading a critical review of BGD who I wanted to work with. She had found her setting "chunky". It didn't put me off working with them but it did make me look carefully at their settings, as "chunky" wasn't going to suit my size 4 finger. Good criticism can help a company more than a formulaic glowing response.

I agree. And sometimes learning how to work with/around a company's quirks or having realistic expectations can really help to enhance a customer experience. If you can learn from someone else's experience so much the better. Like do you email or phone to get the best response? What are normal timelines? Things to be aware of? (Are pictures representative or over saturated/light boxed to look unrealistically beautiful? Are there design words that mean slightly different things to different vendors? Does one do something better than another if that's the specific thing you're looking for? How communicative are they? Does lack of communication mean all is normal or you should be worried? How many pictures should you ask for? Do they do what you ask for and only what you ask for, or do they prefer to do what they think will be more aesthetically pleasing?). Those kinds of things.

And Wink, thank you for clarifying. That makes sense.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My philosophy is to not say anything publicly that I wouldn't like the vendor to hear about. I think reviews can be honest and constructive and give a (smart) vendor crucial feedback. I also think that PS is great for consumers but only if they're able to find balanced reviews.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whaat that's crazy. I know which forum (and vendor) you are referring to but haven't read any posts specifically stating that only glowing reviews are welcome. Did they contact you outside of PS?

There was a combo of private and public messages and it was spread across a bunch of threads. Might have been before your time?

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
There was a combo of private and public messages and it was spread across a bunch of threads. Might have been before your time?

Must have been before my time! Pretty intense! I'm glad it hasn't stopped you from participating.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Must have been before my time! Pretty intense! I'm glad it hasn't stopped you from participating.

I'm just careful now, especially OTOB. There are vendors that are disliked and it's best not to mention them much over there. And I don't post much anymore about purchases. Part of is that I'm pretty full up date not buying much these days (I went a bit crazy in the beginning), part of it is that I've been too busy IRL and haven't been wearing my pieces as much these days.

S

Squizabel

Thank you for giving your side of the story Wink.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
#1 Do what you say you're going to do, #2 when you said you would do it.
#3 If you don't make *your own* self-specified deadline for the project, don't beat *me* up---just contact me and tell me when it WILL be completed.

Don't duck our attempts to communicate with you when you fail at #2. Don't bully us when we attempt to have a substantive conversation with you when you fail at #1 and #2. Don't tell us about your health status, your family issues, your business issues, etc. Those are not problems I created and I cannot solve them for you. They are just noise to me. You either accomplished #1 and #2 or you did not; excuses are an insult and don't help the core problem: When will my jewel or stone be completed.

If I failed in my prime obligation here as a customer, PAYMENT, you'd not hesitate to bring it front and center without apologies.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The vendor this is submitted for knows who they are.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
#1 Do what you say you're going to do, #2 when you said you would do it.
#3 If you don't make *your own* self-specified deadline for the project, don't beat *me* up---just contact me and tell me when it WILL be completed.

Don't duck our attempts to communicate with you when you fail at #2. Don't bully us when we attempt to have a substantive conversation with you when you fail at #1 and #2. Don't tell us about your health status, your family issues, your business issues, etc. Those are not problems I created and I cannot solve them for you. They are just noise to me. You either accomplished #1 and #2 or you did not; excuses are an insult and don't help the core problem: When will my jewel or stone be completed.

If I failed in my prime obligation here as a customer, PAYMENT, you'd not hesitate to bring it front and center without apologies.

Boy, do I love this! I have said as much on the Colored Stones board. There was one lapidary/stone vendor who constantly had reasons why what he said would be done was not; deadlines were missed, etc. I finally gave up.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just came across this thread because I've recently had a poor experience with a trusted PS vendor who said "trust me" & I did, only to get burned. I've had that experience a few times over the last few yrs specifically which makes me very sad. I haven't written my reviews because I don't feel like being burned at the stake. I've been here to long & witnessed the viciousness that some have written about. Sad really because had I read some honest reviews, I would either have known what to look for, & adjusted expectations or not have used them. I am as much at fault because I didn't write any reviews that may have helped others. Again, PS isn't as "prosumer" as it's supposed to be.

I also feel that those of us not in the U.S are really stool pigeons because we are not in the US. I've had shoddy workmanship on items that were not disclosed verbally or in pictures that were a big surprise when I opened the package. It tarnishes the experience & the relationship. If I have to drive 4+ hours round trip & cross a border because I place that much trust in the vendor where I'm purchasing from, then please, reciprocate the effort by giving the piece a 2nd once over before it's packed to make sure when it's shipped, knowing when it's shipped to someone not in the US, will most likely not be returned. Especially sad when this very thing has been requested numerous times & assured all would be ok. ** sigh **

Azstonie, ABSOLUTELY know who you are talking about & had issues about 2.5 yrs ago with this same person. I almost lost my mind & went to a level of frustration only someone in a straight jacket would go. Really terrible & frustrating. But, this person is loved, & is recommended frequently. Perhaps they got their **** together I don't know. I would rather buy a Stuller piece than go through something like that again for the life that experience sucked out of me.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Complaining about issues with an unnamed vendor does nothing. It just takes up space on the boards. Just pointing that out.... it isn't helpful to anyone.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Whitewave, was that last comment for me or are you just lamenting out loud? Anyone here is able to vent & sometimes just putting thoughts in print is helpful. There are plenty of wasted space topics on Pricescope in general. ;-)

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd hate to do business with someone who dropped the ball on numerous occasions with more than one PS'r who didn't want to name the person, only giving vague hints.

I have several more projects upcoming (just getting started really) and I would appreciate a heads up...

Now I sit and wonder who these vendors could be and how I can figure out the mystery...

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd hate to do business with someone who dropped the ball on numerous occasions with more than one PS'r who didn't want to name the person, only giving vague hints.

I have several more projects upcoming (just getting started really) and I would appreciate a heads up...

Now I sit and wonder who these vendors could be and how I can figure out the mystery...

ditto.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whitewave, you going to have our backs when a poop ton of snark and referred aggression comes our way? Its been "Blame the victim" here in the past when people posted their unbelievably bad/unethical experiences with PS trade members.

S

Squizabel

I think we should name names. Or Pricescope becomes worthless as a consumer forum.

I stuck my neck out and named possibly the most beloved vendor ever on this thread. I don't feel that anyone has attacked me. Some offered alternative explanations (which are helpful as I hadn't necessarily considered them).

We can agree to keep this thread a safe space where people can post their own experiences without people challenging the facts.

S

Squizabel

And I have seen the attacking threads so please don't think I'm unsympathetic. I just think there needs to be a culture change on PS to one of honesty and openness about experiences rather than fanboy-ism, and it has to start somewhere. So let's start it here :)

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whitewave, you going to have our backs when a poop ton of snark and referred aggression comes our way? Its been "Blame the victim" here in the past when people posted their unbelievably bad/unethical experiences with PS trade members.

Yes, I have run across some of those posts while doing searches. I do know what you mean.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe we should have reviews where no one can respond but the vendor.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Maybe we should have reviews where no one can respond but the vendor.
no that is just the opposite of what should be done.
Doing that gives vendors to much power.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Taking off trade hat and putting on my 14 years at PS hat.
The reviews that historically get a lot of heat are those that are posted as blackmail and a reasonable resolution was offered by the vendor or the vendor was not given a chance of resolution.
There are also some were clearly the vendor and consumer did not click and they draw heat because of the language used.

Personally I feel naming names years later is useless because there is no chance of resolution and the behavior may have changed by now. That does not make the persons feeling less worthy.
Its just reality that reviews both negative and positive have to be timely to be relevant.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results