shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone ever feel wary of reviews on Pricescope?

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's my take on what Karl described as "blackmail" threads:

A client should never be put in a position to NEED a "blackmail" thread.
A client only resorts to a negative thread if that is the ONLY avenue left to them.

PS-ers have posted negative threads because vendors won't respond at all, whether by phone, email, text, website contact, etc.
PS-ers posted negative threads because the vendor won't respond specifically to the problem at hand (prongs not done per design, wrong size item, etc etc).
PS-ers posted negative threads because they have no leverage: Payment in full has been completed and no response now from vendor.
PS-ers have posted negative threads because the vendor is holding a large amount of money in the form of deposits/partial payments/full payments/AND OUR STONES, and can get no response.
PS-ers have posted negative threads because they've been disrespected and treated with rudeness and bullying.

Most of us with any time here on PS at all know who the "late" vendors are. We know who the needs-more-money vendors are. We know who the noncommunicative vendors are. We know who the rude vendors are.

Whitewave, I feel you. You are contemplating future projects and who in their right mind would want to take what should be a lovely and anticipatory experience and turn it into the 7th Circle of Hell ;-) My advice is to pay attention to your instincts. Vendors who are in a rush to be your BFF? Run. Vendors who are too 'familiar' with you right off the bat? Same. Vendors who get nonspecific when talking about completion time frames, materials used, anything of significance to you? Run fast. Vendors who seem oddly controlling with you from the get-go? Not for you.

My favorite jeweler experiences have been when I am told: We are not happy until you are; we need no money from you until the jewel is complete and you are happy. (If I've turned over a valuable stone to the jeweler, they have plenty of leverage and value right there, btw.)

This brings me to a lesson I've learned around my jewel and stone purchases: You want to avoid any business that is, in effect, a Ponzi arrangement. Meaning they NEED your payment to finish projects already on their bench. A properly funded secure business DOES NOT NEED your money until your jewel is completed and being presented to you.

If any trade person here wants to tell me this kind of business does not exist, I'm going to tell you right now a well-known-on-PS-jeweler operates exactly this way and told me specifically this was the reason they NEEDED as much money as I could pay immediately (my jewel not even begun yet). This same jeweler additionally asked me for money to pay off an angry client who was grieving a bad result here on PS and went so far as to tell me that the several-thousand-dollars amount would not even be missed by me (WTH?).

I know there are trade here who will argue this with me, that a "deposit" is in fact "earnest money" and protects them from customers who change their mind or halt the project. To this I would say, "Is that a frequent problem for you?"

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
* * * I know there are trade here who will argue this with me, that a "deposit" is in fact "earnest money" and protects them from customers who change their mind or halt the project. To this I would say, "Is that a frequent problem for you?"
Not in the trade, but I don't agree with your proposition that we consumers should patronize only those jewelers who don't expect any sort of payment until your custom piece is complete and ready to ship. I'm more than fine with paying a deposit/earnest money. That actually strikes me as the more professional/businesslike MO.

You say that "If I've turned over a valuable stone to the jeweler, they have plenty of leverage and value right there, btw." Which sounds like you believe that -- were you to stiff the jeweler, refuse to pay for the completed piece -- they could simply do whatever they wish: sell the piece as is, or pull out your stone & sell it. If so, I'm curious as to why you believe that to be the case.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If any trade person here wants to tell me this kind of business does not exist, I'm going to tell you right now a well-known-on-PS-jeweler operates exactly this way and told me specifically this was the reason they NEEDED as much money as I could pay immediately (my jewel not even begun yet). This same jeweler additionally asked me for money to pay off an angry client who was grieving a bad result here on PS and went so far as to tell me that the several-thousand-dollars amount would not even be missed by me (WTH?).

I know there are trade here who will argue this with me, that a "deposit" is in fact "earnest money" and protects them from customers who change their mind or halt the project. To this I would say, "Is that a frequent problem for you?"

WTH??!! (I wish my emojis worked!!)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

A client only resorts to a negative thread if that is the ONLY avenue left to them.
That is why some tend to get heat because it is not the only avenue and they come across as being unreasonable.
Some post without even talking to the vendor then get upset when everyone tells them to talk to the vendor.
I am all for using PS to get a fair result when it is called for.
I'm just saying what I have seen over the years.

edit: Molly addressed what I was going to in a much better way.

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

PS-ers have posted negative threads because vendors won't respond at all, whether by phone, email, text, website contact, etc.
PS-ers posted negative threads because the vendor won't respond specifically to the problem at hand (prongs not done per design, wrong size item, etc etc).
PS-ers posted negative threads because they have no leverage: Payment in full has been completed and no response now from vendor.
PS-ers have posted negative threads because the vendor is holding a large amount of money in the form of deposits/partial payments/full payments/AND OUR STONES, and can get no response.
PS-ers have posted negative threads because they've been disrespected and treated with rudeness and bullying.

Most of us with any time here on PS at all know who the "late" vendors are. We know who the needs-more-money vendors are. We know who the noncommunicative vendors are. We know who the rude vendors are.

Whitewave, I feel you. You are contemplating future projects and who in their right mind would want to take what should be a lovely and anticipatory experience and turn it into the 7th Circle of Hell ;-) My advice is to pay attention to your instincts. Vendors who are in a rush to be your BFF? Run. Vendors who are too 'familiar' with you right off the bat? Same. Vendors who get nonspecific when talking about completion time frames, materials used, anything of significance to you? Run fast. Vendors who seem oddly controlling with you from the get-go? Not for you.

My favorite jeweler experiences have been when I am told: We are not happy until you are; we need no money from you until the jewel is complete and you are happy. (If I've turned over a valuable stone to the jeweler, they have plenty of leverage and value right there, btw.)

This brings me to a lesson I've learned around my jewel and stone purchases: You want to avoid any business that is, in effect, a Ponzi arrangement. Meaning they NEED your payment to finish projects already on their bench. A properly funded secure business DOES NOT NEED your money until your jewel is completed and being presented to you.

I'll just stick with Caysie. She and I clicked and I received my ring back about 1.5 weeks
after I sent her my stone. Problem solved.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
WTH??!! (I wish my emojis worked!!)

double that WTH!!!
That should have been posted on the forum or at the min. reported to Andrey.

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not in the trade, but I don't agree with your proposition that we consumers should patronize only those jewelers who don't expect any sort of payment until your custom piece is complete and ready to ship. I'm more than fine with paying a deposit/earnest money. That actually strikes me as the more professional/businesslike MO.

You say that "If I've turned over a valuable stone to the jeweler, they have plenty of leverage and value right there, btw." Which sounds like you believe that -- were you to stiff the jeweler, refuse to pay for the completed piece -- they could simply do whatever they wish: sell the piece as is, or pull out your stone & sell it. If so, I'm curious as to why you believe that to be the case.

I took this to mean vendors who want unreasonable "deposits", for instance more than 50% upfront.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
50% down for custom work is customary in the industry and many others.
On the rare occasions that I do programming for someone a 50% deposit is required up front. The one time I did not collect it they tried to not pay me.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a consumer, I am fine with 50% upfront. If a vendor want 60% or more upfront, I need to know why and it may cause me to rethink things.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As a maker of many custom made rings- we are paid in full, up front.
I'm sure there are places that have more liberal policies- but we've found this to be the only viable method. We discuss potential pitfalls at the time of order.
My favorite jeweler experiences have been when I am told: We are not happy until you are;
My advice is to use this sentiment as your guide, if you're a seller.
If you're not sure you can make the piece the client wants with a very good degree of certainty, don't take the job.
The potential issues with a partial payment go beyond that payment itself. If you've paid half, and you want to pull out of the deal, they still have your stone, and or part of your money.
For this reason here's a few really important tips for consumers
1) make sure you are thoroughly research the place you're going to use for a custom job
2) if you have any doubt about the job, or the place doing it, stop and re-evaluate.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@azstonie and @whitewave
Can you please elaborate as to which vendor(s) it is/are that you are referencing? They sound like nightmares.

There was an alluding of long time PSers knowing who they are, and I feel out of the loop. I've been on PS a long time, and definitely do not know who you are referring to. I guess I also only use like the same handful of people and mostly buy pre-owned so I don't have the luxury of anyone telling me they need my money and that I can afford to hand over thousands lol.

It's a bit cryptic to reveal info without names. I'm sure I'm not the only one scratching my head!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since everyone is sharing that they are not willing to share negative experiences for fear of retribution either by the jeweler themselves or by the fan clubs here on PS, would it be an idea for @psadmin to create an anonymous review section? Where @psadmin posts the reviews, protecting the consumer, and they monitor if/when bullying occurs by fanclub members and/or the vendor?

Im just trying to rack my brain for how we can create a safe space for those with grievances, as well as letting noobies who do not have access to private conversations with friends, know to be weary of less-than-professional vendors?

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
We would kindly request that users who have had these blackmail or ponzi experiences with vendors at a minimum let us know. While we can not force people to reveal publicly, we at least will make sure that negative patterns with vendors mean that we will not allow them to be sponsors of PS.

I would also encourage those who have had bad experiences to post them on the forum. It is here for both the good and the bad and if a vendor will not resolve disputes after reasonable discussion that is something that PS members should know.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
It can be hard to write negative reviews about vendors that are popular here. I once posted a negative review about WF, and it was accepted by PSers. However, I've seen people get defensive when favorite vendors are mentioned in a negative light.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results