shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone ever feel wary of reviews on Pricescope?

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have purchased from B2C, GOG, and Whiteflash... all were extremely helpful.. as my purchase from GOG and WF were of more expensive items I did get much more attention, but at all the vendors I felt very well taken care of.. Becca at WF and David (dear David) at GOG. . . I'd work with either in a nanosecond.. truly great people
I agree. I have had incredibly positive experiences with Whiteflash and Victor Canera and neither one has ever requested that I write a review. I am verbose by nature (sometimes to my husband's chagrin! :lol:) so my SMTB posts have been lengthy as well, but only because I was so impressed with the quality, workmanship, and level of service I experienced. But yes, if several reviews begin to sound the same and they are written by members who haven't posted anywhere else, I think there is room for skepticism. That said, I think you are safe with any of the PS vendors mentioned in this thread! :love:

P

PierreBear

This might be a personality trait but I have a hard time leaving negative comments for everyone to read. I know it's unfair because I rely on Yelp and Amazon reviews etc. It's different if it's commentary on a pure product but if there is service involved (to me, jewelry falls in this category instead of for example buying a non custom pair of shoes or something) I almost feel like I'm attacking their reputation. I personally have worked with both WF and BGD. During the selection process, I decided to go with BGD. It wasn't a terrible experience but I'm open to trying other vendors. Good luck with the selection process and keep in mind that everyone's experience will just differ.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also like top cut diamonds and have bought multiple times from Good Old Gold and Whiteflash. Good Old Gold has ideal rounds and the largest selection of specialty cut stones, and Whiteflash usually has the best selection (and prices, often) of superideal cut rounds and princess cuts. Never in the 11 years that I have dealt with them have they ever even hinted for a review. But I always do reviews because that's why I came to this forum to begin with! In addition to those, I'd recommend Victor Canera and High Performance Diamonds who also carry beautiful diamonds.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I keep an eye on three-carat diamonds at BGD and WF, only as a dream, not because I'm going to get one. I've noticed that BGD always costs much more, for a similar or same-specs diamond. (I'm just talking about the in-house diamonds cut by these companies.) BGD just seems inexplicably expensive.

island21

Rough_Rock
I was set on buying a princess cut at BN. But after doing weeks of research, I turned my focus to a round from WF. Much of that research included educating myself and reading reviews recommended on PS. While a detailed review on WF is *eventually* coming from me, all I can say is that they exceeded my expectations and never asked for me to write a review.

S

Squizabel

Thanks everyone. Interesting that a few of you have picked up on the same thing.

The thing that puzzles me is that the vendor is REALLY well respected by regular members. So I don't know why they would do it. I'm going to report the most recent one and see what happens.

The reason I'm a bit paranoid is because we got a pet sitter for my cat a couple of years ago. Glowing Google reviews and she seemed really lovely so I didn't look further. She was great the first time. After that she got worse and eventually she basically mistreated my cat :( It was then I went back and looked properly at the reviews - all posted within a couple of weeks, using the same style of language. I felt like such an idiot to fall for it. Fake reviews are fraud in my view.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone. Interesting that a few of you have picked up on the same thing.

The thing that puzzles me is that the vendor is REALLY well respected by regular members. So I don't know why they would do it. I'm going to report the most recent one and see what happens.

The reason I'm a bit paranoid is because we got a pet sitter for my cat a couple of years ago. Glowing Google reviews and she seemed really lovely so I didn't look further. She was great the first time. After that she got worse and eventually she basically mistreated my cat :( It was then I went back and looked properly at the reviews - all posted within a couple of weeks, using the same style of language. I felt like such an idiot to fall for it. Fake reviews are fraud in my view.

Ugh that is awful and I am sorry you and your kitty went through that!:blackeye:

I have to add it was a huge surprise when I found out that this particular vendor (who is so well respected here it is ridiculous) was soliciting (and aggressively so) reviews. And so disappointing. If a vendor's work is high quality and he/she practices in an ethical fair manner then why does one have to solicit reviews especially the way this vendor went about it. Ugh ugh ugh.

Anyway buyer beware and read everything with a discerning and critical eye. And make sure you have a good return policy and pay with a credit card or paypal (not wire transfer IMO) and you should be OK.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have noticed the same thing. I don't remember which vendor it was referring to, but there seemed to be a formula to several of the reviews. It gave me a strange vibe as well.

Yes, some reviews within the last year praising one particular PS vendor have come off as formulistic to me and correspondingly I view them as less-than-credible.

[FWIW, I had my own encounter(s) with this vendor in prior years and after those two experiences had already decided the vendor belonged on my personal "no go" list.]

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Are we talking about the canned reviews for Victor Canera? They have come across as really fake and unnecessary. I believe they are legit reviews, just directed.

ETA: "fake" like no one really talks like that, not fake as in not real clients.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are we talking about the canned reviews for Victor Canera? They have come across as really fake and unnecessary. I believe they are legit reviews, just directed.

ETA: "fake" like no one really talks like that, not fake as in not real clients.

No, I for one am not referring to Victor Canera. In my experience he has always behaved professionally and beyond reproach.

S

Squizabel

OK, in the interests of not unfairly casting aspersions on others, here are the threads I am referring to.

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...nk-jones-of-high-performance-diamonds.210979/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/wink-jones-of-high-performance-diamonds-review.231015/

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...nk-jones-of-high-performance-diamonds.197801/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/high-performance-diamonds-review.224973/

The writing styles seem too similar for it to be a coincidence.

I'm willing to be told that I'm wrong.

This recent thread links to one of the reviews and again, seems to be a bit too keen, albeit in a different style:

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...diamond-please-its-for-my-best-friend.231674/

S

Squizabel

Those are the first results when I Google "High Performance Diamonds Pricescope review" - I haven't selected out the most similar sounding ones. Try it.

I've reported the last one on the list.

Katesimone

Rough_Rock
Squizabel, I agree those reviews all look very dodgy! They all sound extremely similar and very constructed (for lack of a better term).

Very bizarre and seeing them all together (and the most recent strange comments in your last link) is very off putting. I wouldn't want to order from a vendor that did this - why can't they rely on real reviews?

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
I recently had a very frustrating experience with a well-loved PS vendor. I looked for negative reviews here, but I've only seen glowing praise. I'm not going to name them as we all know how members here will defend their favorite vendors and can be merciless to posters with negative experiences (I think most of us who have been around for a while have seen this). I've had some good experiences with PS vendors too, but this experience has really soured me. I took the reviews/testimonials with a grain of salt before knowing that members here seem invested in "protecting" their favorite vendors, but I realize now for me it means feedback on PS can't be given any weight.

S

Squizabel

Thank you Katesimone, I'm glad it's not just me :confused:

The thing is, the vendor seems to be so well respected here and there are genuinely happy customers. It's odd.

Alistra, I had the same fear because the vendor is so well loved. Those reviews i posted are followed by lots of regular members praising the vendor. But I figured someone has to be the first to speak out. People can make up their own minds. Maybe the vendor themselves will see this and provide an explanation.

S

Squizabel

Reading over the responses it seems a shame so many people have mentioned suspicions, bad experiences etc but don't feel able to name names. Maybe we could have an amnesty thread...

Mrs2Ouch

Rough_Rock
I have worked with Wink and BGD and like both but loved Wink. I would also not hesitate to work with GOG. Wink actually went to his old store's address to retrieve a package for me that was incorrectly sent there and supposedly nobody ever saw this package. It wasn't even a very expensive item. He is absolutely awesome and I am trying to make it a point to do businesss with him again because of that. I never left a formal review (litmitedtime) but really should.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reading over the responses it seems a shame so many people have mentioned suspicions, bad experiences etc but don't feel able to name names. Maybe we could have an amnesty thread...

It's because some people can be vicious when defending their vendors. Seriously. I cannot blame anyone for not wanting to come forward but I have been willing to share in private offline. Without the drama. When you've been here a long time you will understand what I'm saying. It simply isn't worth the drama and aggravation.

Like I wrote before buyer beware and if you know and trust the person who is doing the reviewing then great. But just being a review on PS doesn't give it truth and validity. As Alistra wisely wrote above.

S

Squizabel

You're right Missy. Probably the reason I'm posting this is because I'm 99% a lurker so if I get chased off the boards by an angry mob, it's no great loss... If I were a frequent poster with friends here I'd probably not want to rock the boat. I think that's a shame though.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're right Missy. Probably the reason I'm posting this is because I'm 99% a lurker so if I get chased off the boards by an angry mob, it's no great loss... If I were a frequent poster with friends here I'd probably not want to rock the boat. I think that's a shame though.

Lol we wouldn't let that happen Squizabel! I'm a big believer in truth where it is appreciated. However you know the saying "No good deed goes unpunished ". Sometimes you just gotta know when this applies. But believe me we wouldn't let anyone chase you away for telling the truth!!! At least I and a few others (hopefully more than a few) would stand with you so know that.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I almost got chased off once. I described not even a negative review but some luke warm experiences that I had had with a favorite vendor (with one item arriving that was clearly significantly less than what was described - as I'm international it would have cost me more to return it than the item was worth, so I didn't, but I said something here). Not only did I get flamed, someone from PS phoned the vendor to tell on me (some have become good friends with various vendors) and the vendor had a SA call me at home to discuss the fact that I had posted an unhappy review. Not to offer a solution - just to talk about why I didn't call them if I wasn't happy. I was mortified, and explained that it wasn't worth it because of shipping costs, but that my experiences with them hadn't been the glowing customer service that others had described (this wasn't the first item that had been wrong, and I had been blown off a few times on the phone about purchases that I was hoping to make).

It's sad that people can't be honest on a forum that's supposed to be for consumers to talk about their experiences. I think it blindsides people - because I've been lurking long enough to remember it coming out about other reputable vendors that something was fishy long after many people had been treated badly. It would have saved a lot of people if the earlier ones felt safe to say something here.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@cmd2014 Wow that is creepy! I would feel so violated and uncomfortable with someone calling about that.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I almost got chased off once. I described not even a negative review but some luke warm experiences that I had had with a favorite vendor (with one item arriving that was clearly significantly less than what was described - as I'm international it would have cost me more to return it than the item was worth, so I didn't, but I said something here). Not only did I get flamed, someone from PS phoned the vendor to tell on me (some have become good friends with various vendors) and the vendor had a SA call me at home to discuss the fact that I had posted an unhappy review. Not to offer a solution - just to talk about why I didn't call them if I wasn't happy. I was mortified, and explained that it wasn't worth it because of shipping costs, but that my experiences with them hadn't been the glowing customer service that others had described (this wasn't the first item that had been wrong, and I had been blown off a few times on the phone about purchases that I was hoping to make).

It's sad that people can't be honest on a forum that's supposed to be for consumers to talk about their experiences. I think it blindsides people - because I've been lurking long enough to remember it coming out about other reputable vendors that something was fishy long after many people had been treated badly. It would have saved a lot of people if the earlier ones felt safe to say something here.

That's awful! What an invasion of privacy to call you at home. :nono:And of course now I want to know who that vendor was...

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a tough line. There are definitely some vendors I consider friends and have a text/phone call sort of relationship with - I wouldn't hesitate to let them know about commentary on PS, good and bad. But I'd be quite horrified to learn that one of them had proceeded to harrass the reviewer! :(

On the other hand - a few years ago I heard through the grapevine that a longtime PS member had made it his/her business to warn several PS vendors off working with me and two other PSers, labelling us "PITAs who can't be made happy"... I have no idea if this actually happened or not! :whistle:

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No, I for one am not referring to Victor Canera. In my experience he has always behaved professionally and beyond reproach.
I couldn't agree more. Some of my best vendor experiences to date have been with Whiteflash and VC, and neither one has ever suggested that I submit a review. I felt compelled to post my experiences on SMTB primarily because I felt that these vendors deserved recognition, and in part because I wanted to thank fellow PS members for sharing so many helpful insights that profoundly informed my journey and allowed me to consider possibilities that I never would have entertained on my own.

S

Squizabel

What are everyone's thoughts on the HPD reviews? Is it possible it could just be a coincidence? :confused:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Squizabel, I read through the links you posted, and I do not have positive thoughts about the whole thing. I can imagine a couple scenarios, one of which is that the vendor hypothetically solicited reviews from clients and had one employee or representative write up the review. That would explain the similarity in writing style. The screen names and number of posts on the first three were like...seriously? If those are deliberate shills the person registering and posting underestimates the intelligence of the PS crowd, or is just not so sharp themselves. Hypothetically, of course. ;-)

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup I agree.
Those be sketchy. I'd read those and be like "okay well scratch them...". Once you lose the trust that they are honest it's hard to gain back, even if their work IS fabulous.
eta - I guess I was fooled, I replied to them! Seeing 1 off, sounds great. But it's seeing them all together and how similar they are that is the sketchy part.
eta2 - Someone else (nice ice) is also mentioned in all the reviews.

Last edited:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a tough line. There are definitely some vendors I consider friends and have a text/phone call sort of relationship with - I wouldn't hesitate to let them know about commentary on PS, good and bad. But I'd be quite horrified to learn that one of them had proceeded to harrass the reviewer! :(

On the other hand - a few years ago I heard through the grapevine that a longtime PS member had made it his/her business to warn several PS vendors off working with me and two other PSers, labelling us "PITAs who can't be made happy"... I have no idea if this actually happened or not! :whistle:
That's not right! Money is money! Unless it's that PSer spending their money on YOUR project STFU, right? How well could they know you to say that? Ugh... knowing you through PS is not the same as the real world. I've heard similarly and this anger ball widow will turn wrecking ball if there is a similar repeat performance by that PSer.:angryfire:

Ok - confession time - like on PS, in real life I'm also 1's and 0's transmitting back and forth.

royalstarrynight

Shiny_Rock
I think some of us get really emotionally attached to some vendors. It's a hard line to draw. I think it's important to carefully interview every jeweller yourself as well.

Yssie, I'm so disappointed that someone said that to a jeweler. I wish there was safety in saying

This vendor promised me this and didn't do this. Or things arrived this way.

I think because of this thread I'm inspired to leave some honest feedback about a beloved vendor. It also helps I had almost a year after interacting with them and a successful piece with someone else.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results