shape
carat
color
clarity

Does a stone look better unmounted?

Katty01Kat

Rough_Rock
Hi!!
I am comparing diamonds for a pretty large purchase. One stone is already in a classic tall 6 prong setting while the other is loose. The loose stone looked veeery subtlety better. Is that the difference with set vs loose? Or should I go with the loose? Do diamonds typically appear better loose?

Thank you!!!

Katty01Kat

Rough_Rock
Let me throw one more consideration in here! Thoughts about a 2.5 carat "I" or a 2 carat "G". One is Bgd black and one is CBI. HELP!!!! Saw both. They are both so pretty. My Mom say go for better color. But this stone faces up pretty well.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless they are identical in cut parameters, clarity and colour, it’s going to be nearly impossible to say why one looks better than the other. Do you ha e the details of the two stones?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the price about the same for the two? When you look at the "I" independently did you think...hmm...its yellow? Do you have the stones in your
possession? If so, look at them in all different kinds of lighting
You need to decide YOUR priorities and not someone else's.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let me throw one more consideration in here! Thoughts about a 2.5 carat "I" or a 2 carat "G". One is Bgd black and one is CBI. HELP!!!! Saw both. They are both so pretty. My Mom say go for better color. But this stone faces up pretty well.
If you like both and viewed both in person, that makes me think you were fine with the I color, but are worried about it. I wouldn't worry at all, as long as you saw it and love it. CBIs are amazing.

Katty01Kat

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the responses!!!!

Do you all think that a stone looks better or more livelier unmounted?

I tinted of yellow was noticeable but there was just something about the I that was so sparkly and stunning.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the responses!!!!

Do you all think that a stone looks better or more livelier unmounted?

I tinted of yellow was noticeable but there was just something about the I that was so sparkly and stunning.
I think stones look much better mounted. But obviously if you felt like the I was clearly tinted and that bugged you then I wouldn't get that one. But if you noticed a should tint that didn't bother you then I would go for it!

MK Malone

Shiny_Rock
I agree with others, that diamonds generally look better mounted. If you think the loose stone looks better, it will look even more beautiful mounted. Hope that helps!!

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
I think diamonds look better when set, and I'll add an additional facet (so to speak) to the conversation and say that a diamond can look bad in one setting and AMAZING in another.

Prime example is @KKJohnson marquise ring.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you verbalize the things that made the larger CBI more beautiful? I've seen a compassion video where it appeared a CBI had different contrast levels which one may prefer over another.

Also, looking at the proportions you might catch slight personality variances although both are clearly ideal cuts.

Katty01Kat

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the support guys. Dont get me wrong, bgd black and CBIs are some of the most beautiful I have ever seen. Initially, it was very difficult to see the difference. I had to drive back to the store before they were sent back to see the comparisons for a second time before I felt like I could even verbalize it for myslef.

Even so, I don't know if the contrast in the BDG was too much or the extra Gavin effect facets threw me off...but the CBIs just seemed to have bigger flashes and faced up whiter. At first, I thought maybe it was a florescent thing and maybe they just weren't as clear as the BGD. Maybe that is still the case and my untrained eye just cant fully appreciate the clarity and contrast. So maybe it's just personal.

CBI explained that the bigger the facets, the more of the mirrored effect so there are bigger flashes. Then again when I looked at them a second time (this time with all three side by side), the smallest of the three I saw had a ton of sparkle and fire...arguably the most lively. I saw a 2.12 H, 2.02 G, and a 2.5 I. All CBIs along with a 2 carat G Black. Very difficult to tell the difference in color except for certain lighting situations. The Cbi G and I just did something for me. The stones are going back to get filmed along side a 2.34 H. It's my compromise between color and size for the mirrored effect. Size is a perk but I just want the most sparkly. . In any case, I cant believe I had the opportunity to look at 4 of the best of the best. It was amazing. And to some of the comments thus far with this community, one of the reasons I'm going with CBi is for the protections around the purchase. (Upgrade, return, etc).

I really do appreciate all the guidance. If you're interested, I will keep you all posted!

MK Malone

Shiny_Rock
We are absolutely interested!! Please keep us updated. Pics and video are encouraged!!

Katty01Kat

Rough_Rock
Heres the Black...simply stunning. Picture just doesnt do it justice. I have a video but trying to figure out how to upload a file that large. Seriously, now imagine that I want the CBIs. I didnt take pictures unfortunately... will post the video once HPD 20190910_161036.jpg 20190910_123018.jpg sends it.

Katty01Kat

Rough_Rock

Katty01Kat

Rough_Rock
Care to share why? :D I like learning.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also like the 2.35 VS1 H
The sought after 34.5/40.8
Combo is very complimentary along
with the 54.6 table and the 76 LGF
Will have alot of bold colored
flashes. In my opinion perfect proportions.

The 2.35ct. That stone glows in the dark...:love:. with my dream proportions...:love:

Ditto. Proportions are amazing. Small table, slightly fatter arrows and that 34.5/40.8 should be nothing short of sparkle bomb heaven.

Small tables and numerically lower LGF's (fatter arrows) produce slightly bigger and bolder rainbow flashes. Also notice the 15.5% crown height on the H? :love:

I would guess the G is second. With the I as my 3rd pick.

Keep in mind these are very minor differences/preferences. Some would argue real world viewing may not be noticeable by some. That's probably true to a certain degree. All 3 stones will be amazing but when you have to decide between the best of the best, these are some of things I look at.

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
Care to share why? :D I like learning.

My eye loves symmetry and I can notice color rather well but I don’t think I can see the difference between 76 and 77 lgf’s. Mostly though I go through life following my feelings so I tend to turn everything into a game of developing my intuition. So that’s my secret lol, optical symmetry (even with the smaller arrow at 6 o'clock in the pavillion view it’s still the most precise cut) and intuition. That diamond makes me feel good! Which one makes you feel good?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On blown up views, it can be difficult to see variances in 76 and 77 LGF's. In normal viewing it's probably a little more difficult, but not impossible. Additionally you have to consider the table size and how that plays into the equation.

Below is a response I made to someone else regarding similar things. I like this because it seems rather obvious to me and gives a real world example.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-picking-a-canera-h-a.250463/#post-4597261

1-558-1-702-jpg.708060

Just wanted to geek out a bit and add that although both tables are within ideal ranges, this photo does a good job capturing how the 56.7 table of the 1.558 ct on the left is noticeably larger than the smaller 54.8 table of the 1.702 ct on the right.

Also notice that according to the AGS reports, both stones have 77 LGF's. A numerically lower LGF will have fatter arrows and provide bigger bolder rainbow flashes, whereas a numerically higher LGF will have more skinny arrows and produce more of a pin fire.

More interesting -- notice the visual effect the smaller table is producing with the same size 77 LGF's? The arrows look more chunky on the 1.702 stone on the right and consequently provides a different contrast level. IMO, this makes the stone more appealing although we all have different preferences.

Performance wise, both stones will do great. But I also prefer the 1.702 because of the small table, steeper crown angle and 15.8 crown height. These elements are great for producing big fire.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In regards to the comment about the minor flaw in the hearts image of the G stone at the 6 o'clock position, I think this article is a good read:

https://www.pricescope.com/articles/hearts_and_arrows_diamonds_and_basics_diamond_cutting

A few key things to remember:

1. The arrows image is of the TOP of the diamond and forms arrows.

true-arrow.jpg

2. The hearts image is of the BOTTOM of the diamond and forms hearts.

true-heart.jpg

3. Part of what forms a true H&A stone is the symmetrical precision.

4. Even stones with poor symmetrical precision form a (bad) version of heart & arrow images. Near miss H&A stones will mostly resemble a true H&A stone but may have minor variations.

5. While true H&A symmetry blows our skirts up, the reality is that without the right angles and proportions then it won't matter. In other words, cut is still king but H&A symmetry helps enhance an ideal cut stone.

6. You should always verify, but when looking at H&A vendors like BGD, WF, CBI/HPD, etc then you have reasonable certainty you are getting an ideal cut stone with symmetrical precision. Remember, each one of these vendors have a range of acceptability, so you may find a stone that tickles your fancy more than another but doesn't necessarily mean the other is "bad".

This gets us back to the G stone in question. Now that I'm not mobile, and on my computer, here are a few things I noted:
  • You have some rips in the clefts of the heart, and not all hearts have the same size rips. See orange circles.
  • You have minor crows feet at the bottom tip of the heart. See the blue circle. This also occurs on the white V's (called "arrows" by the OP) as well, although I did not mark them up.
  • You have variation in the white V's as evidenced by the purple/pink circles. It's more than just the 6 o'clock position, although that one is the smallest of the group.
  • If you look closely at the "black V's" that are formed at the bottom of the heart, you can see there is a slightly larger gap on the bottom heart. There is other minor variation you can see throughout but I marked up the 5 and 6 o'clock positions in green to identify them. FYI, the smaller that gap, the numerically lower LGF you will have, whereas a larger gap indicates a numerically higher LGF. So if you have 76 LGF's, then maybe the one at 6 o'clock would be slightly higher (77+).
I believe all this stuff to be very minor, and I wouldn't have any qualms about owning the stone if that is the one that spoke to my heart.

Unedited hearts image of G stone:
hearts2018062017341710096-hearts.jpg

Marked up hearts image of G stone:
Inkedhearts2018062017341710096-hearts_LI.jpg

Katty01Kat

Rough_Rock
Holy tutorial Batman! That was awesome. I really like the article too. It's crazy to think that most people make these large lifetime investments with such little knowledge on a topic with so much depth. Myself included.

Katty01Kat

Rough_Rock
OK Team Pricescope, here they are, the little beauties!

I took the "I" out because I just don't think I can get over the mind clean thing. Besides, the H looks huge too! In the picture from left to right, G, H, I. Totally moving forward with this purchase. LOVE THEM.

Wink and Melissa are so amazing to work with.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results