shape
carat
color
clarity

Do your kids have unusual names?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
I have an unusual name and as a child i hated it. I dreaded meeting new people, I always new the relief teacher was up to my name on the list as they would pause, stutter and then attempt with confusion. Every one gets it wrong, i have to repeat it several times and i could never get the cups, pens, stickers with my name on them as they just didn''t exist.

I am now 30 and i have slowly grown to like it. I guess it helps that my soon to be husband is a surfer and my name is hawaiian so he loves it. Finding out that my name had an actual meaning and wasn''t just some random name my mum came up with has helped too. It''s hawaiian for orange tree and thats how i got my screen name.

There are so few of us with the name that i am friends with another girl on facebook simply because neither of us had known someone else with the same name.

tulip928

Brilliant_Rock
Haven

Thanks for the info on Calliope. I''ll pass that on. The husband is loving the name, and the mommy is not so in love with it but feeling pressured.

I told my daughter to tell her they surely can find a name they both love. I reminded my daughter how my husband wanted to name her Simba and I said absolutely not! She said she would have been the laughing stock when the Disney movie came out when she was in high school.

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/10/2010 10:39:09 PM
Author: charbie

Date: 2/10/2010 2:46:29 PM
Author: AprilBaby
A young girl I know just named her baby Jezebel. Parents and I were horrified. They call her Bella. Any thoughts?
my sister named her cat jezebel. the name sounds demonic to me. she calls the cat ''jezzy'' for short.
We have a friend whose dog is named Jezebel but with reason, the dog is slightly promiscuous and cannot be let outside without close supervision! HaHa ,It started when she was apup and would do very impolite things to anybodies legs! it is a pretty name though!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
One of my daughters is called Lucia. She sometimes gets Lucy-ah and sometimes Lucheea.. if you see what I mean! We call her Lou.

April20

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2010 10:44:40 PM

Date: 2/10/2010 7:06:23 PM
Author: monarch64
Also, SO and I have a little thing we do when watching sports or random television. When we hear one of those off-the-wall Apple or hmm, I don''t know, Ocho Cinco or whatever, we look at each other and say simultaneously, ''Ocho Cinco--NOT A NAME.''
9.gif
he made up that name. Chad ''Johnson'' Ocho-Cinco is an idiot.
I agree completely! Ever time I see that dude on TV, I yell "You''re an IDIOT", but he doesn''t seem to hear me. I mean, who legally changes their name to their football number????

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jezebel is known as the most wicked woman in the Bible. Nice role model. I have had several Nevaeh''s as patients, one Enosh, one lady actually named "Baby". How creative. Imagine going into the waiting room and calling "Baby" in for an appointment. Very Strange.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2010 4:04:39 PM
Jezebel is known as the most wicked woman in the Bible. Nice role model. I have had several Nevaeh''s as patients, one Enosh, one lady actually named ''Baby''. How creative. Imagine going into the waiting room and calling ''Baby'' in for an appointment. Very Strange.
Wicked *and* promiscuous. Lovely name for a child
20.gif

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/11/2010 4:04:39 PM
one lady actually named ''Baby''. How creative. Imagine going into the waiting room and calling ''Baby'' in for an appointment. Very Strange.

That reminds me of a friend of my mother''s. Her name is Princess. The story behind it is that her parents were expected to name her after an elderly relative, but her mother couldn''t stand said relative. Since the relative was named Sarah, and Sarah apparently means princess, that''s what they named her. She''s my mother''s age, so this was back around 1950 or so.

She really hated her name.

ts44

Brilliant_Rock
A lady I know named her first son Taelor. After so many misspellings and errors, she named her second son Jack.

I don''t have any children, but I do have a couple of names that I really like. Lillian Marie or Tabitha Jane for a girl, and William David or Joseph Rory for a boy. My fiance likes Benjamin or Theodore. So our kids won''t have seriously unusual names, but I would like to combine a common name with a less common name. Give them the option.
1.gif

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I see some very odd names while working in HR. Yesterday I came across one of the worst. Pretty. Who in their right mind names their daughter Pretty? And what if the poor girl isn''t pretty?

My son is Kyle, easy to spell and pronounce, but not the most common out there. If we had a girl she would have been Shelby. DH and I have very common names (like #1 in the year we were born), so we didn''t want our children to run into a bunch of other kids with the same name, but also didn''t want to get too crazy.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
My friend''s name is Princess. She hates it, and it doesn''t suit her at all.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2010 7:52:52 AM
Author: April20

Also, SO and I have a little thing we do when watching sports or random television. When we hear one of those off-the-wall Apple or hmm, I don''t know, Ocho Cinco or whatever, we look at each other and say simultaneously, ''Ocho Cinco--NOT A NAME.''
9.gif
I agree completely! Ever time I see that dude on TV, I yell ''You''re an IDIOT'', but he doesn''t seem to hear me. I mean, who legally changes their name to their football number????
Hahahaha, I know April, why can''t they just listen to us??? LOL

Charbie, I am aware that Ocho-Cinco is the name he legally adopted a few years ago. I didn''t think his parents named him after his potential professional football number.
2.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love Chad Ochocinco! Come on-changing your name to Ochocinco is hilarious!

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
DS has his great grandfather''s last name, Brandt.
My niece is named Rayne after her grandfather Ray.
DS is planning on naming a future daughter Amethyst.
I think Emerald would be pretty too. Ruby, Pearl and
Beryl were popular in the past. And of course there is Lou Diamond Phillips.

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2010 9:07:39 PM
Author: thing2of2
I was just watching one of those ''I''m pregnant and ______'' shows on TLC and one of the women was chased by a bear when she was pregnant, so they named their kid IMAGINE LITTLE BEAR CATHERINE. Yeah. There aren''t enough eye roll emoties in the world!
3.gif
I saw that episode last night too. Thought I heard wrong !
6.gif

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2010 6:29:44 PM
Date: 2/11/2010 7:52:52 AM

Author: April20

9.gif

I agree completely! Ever time I see that dude on TV, I yell ''You''re an IDIOT'', but he doesn''t seem to hear me. I mean, who legally changes their name to their football number????
Hahahaha, I know April, why can''t they just listen to us??? LOL

Charbie, I am aware that Ocho-Cinco is the name he legally adopted a few years ago. I didn''t think his parents named him after his potential professional football number.
2.gif

Oh! I didn''t assume that you thought that! Haha! I waw more or less just stating the fact that the guy craves attention. He is the vain type of person who would force his child to go thru life being named ocho cinco I think.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2010 6:40:28 PM

Wait, somebody did that for real? I thought you guys were joking, pulling something random out of your hat that someone might think to use as a name. Oh lordy.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2010 9:05:26 PM
Author: packrat

Wait, somebody did that for real? I thought you guys were joking, pulling something random out of your hat that someone might think to use as a name. Oh lordy.
Yeah, he plays for the Cincinnati Bengals. He loves his number so much that he made it his name.
20.gif

Charbie, too funny. I wonder if he''s married? Is his wife''s last name also Ochocinco? Hi, I''m Mrs. 85-in-spanish! LOL

taovandel

Brilliant_Rock
Except that isn''t even how you say 85 in spanish...he''s an idiot....maybe they''d actually make it through a playoff game if he would stop his stupid antics.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2010 9:31:04 PM
Date: 2/11/2010 9:05:26 PM

Yeah, he plays for the Cincinnati Bengals. He loves his number so much that he made it his name.
20.gif

Charbie, too funny. I wonder if he''s married? Is his wife''s last name also Ochocinco? Hi, I''m Mrs. 85-in-spanish! LOL

He''s awesome and hot-I''d be Mrs. Ochocinco if he asked!
31.gif
(Not really because I would keep my name but you see what I''m saying!
3.gif
)

He''s super active on Twitter and always does funny contests. Once he tweeted that he was at the Cincinnati airport and that he''d take the first couple of people to find him on a shopping spree and buy them anything they wanted. He also had a contest and had maybe 10 of his fans over to his house for dinner. And he bought out all of the unsold seats to one of the Bengals games because the networks won''t air NFL games unless they''re sold out. So yeah-I love him!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2010 10:00:59 PM
Author: taovandel
Except that isn''t even how you say 85 in spanish...he''s an idiot....maybe they''d actually make it through a playoff game if he would stop his stupid antics.

But Ochocinco sounds better than ochenta y cinco so I don''t hold it against him. And did his antics actually cause them to lose a playoff game? I don''t remember that!
33.gif

taovandel

Brilliant_Rock
Don''t want to turn this into a chad bashing thread! HAHA! But I feel that some of his antics could be a distraction (as well as all the legal issues with other players that were on the team)....

Anyways....Unusual names.....

I don''t know anyone personally with a weird name (or at least none that I can recall) Maybe I just live in a really boring city! A friend of mine at work is in nursing school and she did some work in a maternity ward...they keep a log book of all the baby names at the hospital and she was flipping through it....one of the names was a-a, pronounced A DASH Ah. Seriously.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Haha...as a browns fan myself, married into a family of major major bengals fans, I reserve the right to make fun of chad ochocinco. Especially since my husband has no respect. Child please!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2010 10:23:11 PM
Haha...as a browns fan myself, married into a family of major major bengals fans, I reserve the right to make fun of chad ochocinco. Especially since my husband has no respect. Child please!

Ha, I''ll allow it since you said "Child please!"
3.gif

And I have to look elsewhere for fun players to like...I''m a Redskins fan!
23.gif
I''ve also loved Jared Allen ever since I saw his hilarious ESPN (I think it was ESPN...) interview about his mullet!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2010 10:05:10 PM

Date: 2/11/2010 10:00:59 PM

But Ochocinco sounds better than ochenta y cinco so I don''t hold it against him. And did his antics actually cause them to lose a playoff game? I don''t remember that!
33.gif
AHhahahahahaha! SO says that every time he sees the name, it really burns him! Hilarious.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2010 10:17:46 PM
Don''t want to turn this into a chad bashing thread! HAHA! But I feel that some of his antics could be a distraction (as well as all the legal issues with other players that were on the team)....

Anyways....Unusual names.....

I don''t know anyone personally with a weird name (or at least none that I can recall) Maybe I just live in a really boring city! A friend of mine at work is in nursing school and she did some work in a maternity ward...they keep a log book of all the baby names at the hospital and she was flipping through it....one of the names was a-a, pronounced A DASH Ah. Seriously.
Wait, can you even DO that legally?

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2010 6:43:03 PM
My kids are London and Trapper. I like that they have ''different'' names and the chances of them having to tack their last initial on or something are pretty slim. I was one of 2 Missy''s, even tho I''ve always spelled it Missi. There were 2 Missy''s in my brother''s class-the one below mine.

I name my pets w/flair too, like MC. Used to drive my dad up the wall. 2 of my favorite kitties were Sir Didymous Ambrosious and Matahari Tnedicca.

Sir Didymous Ambrosious? Are you a labyrinth fan, Packrat???!!! Coz i am
9.gif

''Alright Ambrosious, i think we''ve got them surrounded....''

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2010 4:49:54 AM
Author: tulip928
Haven
Thanks for the info on Calliope. I''ll pass that on. The husband is loving the name, and the mommy is not so in love with it but feeling pressured.
I told my daughter to tell her they surely can find a name they both love. I reminded my daughter how my husband wanted to name her Simba and I said absolutely not! She said she would have been the laughing stock when the Disney movie came out when she was in high school.
You''re welcome! There''s nothing wrong with the name of course, but the *first* thing I thought of when I saw it was that book.

Simba would have been a difficult name for her in high school--yikes!

My mother really wanted to name me Fritzy. My father refused. I *totally* think I could have rocked Fritzy, seriously. I used to wish I was a Fritzy when I was younger. (It would have been in honor of her father, Fritz, who died the year before I was born, by the way.)

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
My mom and sisters convinced my dad they were going to name me Dorsey.

::shudder::

Thankfully they did not, in fact, name me Dorsey.

I have the feminine version of a male family name. My name was #160 the year I was born, but appears to have grown less popular over the years. 1965 was my name''s heyday, reaching into the mid 70s.

Social Security Baby Name Popularity

rockpaperscissors67

Shiny_Rock
My kids all have old fashioned, fairly normal names and the younger 5 are named after relatives. They''re Westley Phillip (goes by Phillip), Hannah Louise, Austin Edward, Kathryn Grace, William Christopher and Benjamin Dennis. Nothing crazy or unusual here.

Phil and Hannah have always been the only ones in their class with those names. I think there might be a couple of other Austins in his grade. Kate is one of a handful of Kates/Katies, and I have a feeling the same will be true for Will and Ben. Oh, well. I''d so much rather they be called by their name and last initial than have everyone butcher their names their entire lives, or think poorly of their parents for choosing a weird name.

Austin is the odd child in the bunch because he went through a phase where he really hated his name, so he used other names. When Kate was a baby, for some reason she started calling him Bobby, which is totally random, but he answered to it. He also answered to Ian (the name his dad wanted for him) and Simon (a name he decided he liked). The name he would answer to on any given day varied, so it wasn''t uncommon for me to try to get his attention by saying, "Austin...Bobby...Ian...Simon?" until I got a response. I got some odd looks in stores from people that obviously thought I didn''t know my own kid''s name. The best was when he decided he wanted to be called "Sheriff Bob" for a while.

We were careful with initials, too -- the worst one we have is the youngest, who is BS if he just goes by first and last name.

I got great initials with my previous marriage -- TLC. I never went back to my maiden name for professional reasons, but eventually, if/when SO and I get married, my initials will change to TLS, which just is not as much fun!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results