shape
carat
color
clarity

Do your kids have unusual names?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
People consider our daughter's name kind of weird, but my husband and I love it. Did you give your kid an unconventional name?

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
We didn''t, but I do really like unusual names. My husband was really leaning towards more traditional names, so we made his first name more traditional, and his middle name more unique - Andrew Galen.

We''re still up in the air about this next one - we do have a list of names that we like, but again, we won''t decide on a final until we see the baby.

I also like more untraditional names for girls. I have a traditional first name and a unique middle name, and I''ve gone by my middle name since I was 17 years old. It''s definitely more memorable and I prefer it.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Timely thread, as we're starting to put together baby name lists for our LO, and I've been paying extra-attention to NAMES!

We're not finding out the gender in advance, so we're having to come up with a number of options for each sex. Although we don't necessarily want to go with what one would consider an "unusual" name, we also want it to be a bit different. Perhaps "ethnic" is more what we're going for.

Asscher- I hope you share your daughter's name!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
More usual first name - Daisy
Unusual second names - Xanthe Pandora

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Our first son''s name is fairly conventional, our second son''s is too, but we spelled it differently, so his name is often misspelled...

It is AleK, rather than AleC. He gets called AleX sometimes, but he learned at a young age to politely correct someone if they called him Alex.

We used the ''K'' because DH and oldest son''s names both start with a K and wanted second son''s name to have one too.

It''s actually a shortened Russian version of Alexander, "Aleksander". I like it because it is unique, without sounding off the wall.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I don't have kids yet, but in general I don't like names that are too unusual. My style is traditional but not common, if that makes sense. I like names that are easily spellable and pronounceable, but that not every other kid the same age has (though the girl names I like are very high up on the list right now - hopefully when I have kids they won't be so popular).

My last name has always been hard for people to pronounce and spell (despite being only 5 letters) and I don't want my kids to be spelling out their first names and having them pronounced wrong.

eta: I do like unusual middle names though and if the kid makes the decision to go by that primarily, that's fine by me (I have some friends who have done exactly this).

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
me me me. I don''t have kids, but if I ever do they will get maybe not unique names but definitely not common. I wouldn''t want it to be likely that my kid was one of two in the class who had the same name as another. I wouldn''t name my kid Xspero (I just made that up) just to be different. I would still pick out a nice name that most people could remember and pronounce but aren''t common. some names I think fall into this category are: Raven, Adriana, Felicity, Maxime, Roxanne, Xavier, Calvin, Trey, Vance

tlh

Ideal_Rock
My name is not terribly unusual... but not common. I really don''t like it, I don''t mind my name, but more the aggitation it brings from others not knowing how to pronounce it. As a kid growing up I was told I often misspelled my name, in daycare at a young age, having teachers correct me. I grew up, hating that I was the ONLY xxx in class. I was so envious of all the girls named Sarah, Emily, and Jennifer... or those that could pick NICKNAMES for their name. Jen, Jenny, etc. There was no nickname for my name.

My middle name, COMMON, but not *firstname worthy*, so I couldn''t be like the people that would be named Gloria Ann, and could go by Ann if they wanted because they didn''t like their first name... nope.

Now that I''m a professional having an uncommon name is in many ways a handicap. People don''t know if I''m a boy or a girl, and they also often mispronounce my name, to the point I''m so used to it I''ll respond to the mis-name. I''m used to being in meetings of HUNDREDS of people, and during role call, my name is often misprounced - to the point of being a different name all together. Because the interaction is so quick, for me to interject the correct name and pronunciation, just isn''t worth the big hoomplah of correcting someone on that occurance.

Due to these hassles I''ve had, I wouldn''t want that for my child. I don''t plan on giving my kid a top 20 baby name - when that happens, but definately a name that has character and isn''t seen every day - for example, Nigel.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
DD''s name is #7 on the 2009 popular name list
9.gif
. So not unusual and VERY common lol!

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not sure why, but I really dislike unusual names. Not uncommon names, but unusual names. I have a couple of uncommon names picked out - sort of "older" names that aren''t used much anymore. But, when I see names that are spelled all wacky it makes no sense to me - seems like a way for the parents to grab on to some thread of individuality at the expense of poor child that is going to have to pronounce and spell their name to everyone for the rest of their life.

Trends come and go and it seems like there is this trend now for names that end in "den", I cringe every time I hear one!
19.gif

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/10/2010 12:17:03 AM
Author: ChargerGrrl
Timely thread, as we''re starting to put together baby name lists for our LO, and I''ve been paying extra-attention to NAMES!

We''re not finding out the gender in advance, so we''re having to come up with a number of options for each sex. Although we don''t necessarily want to go with what one would consider an ''unusual'' name, we also want it to be a bit different. Perhaps ''ethnic'' is more what we''re going for.

Asscher- I hope you share your daughter''s name!

Daughter''s name is Marley Genesis. It''s a little unusual, but it''s got a meaning behind it.

Marley: Bob Marley''s music has played a major part in my life.

Genesis: My husband and I were flipping through the baby name book and for some reason my eyes went right to "Genesis: Means The Beginning" Well, 2 years before we met, my husband was in a terrible car crash and almost lost his life. He felt like he got a second chance and a new beginning. So we decided that Genesis would be her middle name. Not everyone liked it, but to us the meaning behind her name is significant.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/10/2010 10:15:36 AM
Author: waterlilly
I''m not sure why, but I really dislike unusual names. Not uncommon names, but unusual names. I have a couple of uncommon names picked out - sort of ''older'' names that aren''t used much anymore. But, when I see names that are spelled all wacky it makes no sense to me - seems like a way for the parents to grab on to some thread of individuality at the expense of poor child that is going to have to pronounce and spell their name to everyone for the rest of their life.

Trends come and go and it seems like there is this trend now for names that end in ''den'', I cringe every time I hear one!
19.gif

I feel like every time I meet someone''s child, they are named Jayden, Brayden, Hayden...

And with girls it''s Sophia, Madison, Ava or Peyton. Mind you I like those names fine, but they are so popular.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Not unusual, no. I like to think of it as an "old-fashioned classic," which are the kind of names I dig. Too old-fashioned for some people, but for the most part, it''s really well-received. I just hope he likes it.

sugarpie honeybun

Shiny_Rock
Two girls names that have recently started to grow on me (if we ever have a girl) - Cadence (kind of different, no?) and Ruby.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
My name is SOOOO common so I am attracted to more unusual names. Not *strange* names but *uncommon* names. DD''s name is not that common but I have only personally met one other Tessa.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2010 9:47:26 AM
Author: tlh
My name is not terribly unusual... but not common. I really don''t like it, I don''t mind my name, but more the aggitation it brings from others not knowing how to pronounce it. As a kid growing up I was told I often misspelled my name, in daycare at a young age, having teachers correct me. I grew up, hating that I was the ONLY xxx in class. I was so envious of all the girls named Sarah, Emily, and Jennifer... or those that could pick NICKNAMES for their name. Jen, Jenny, etc. There was no nickname for my name.
tlh - I LOVE your name! I''ve always thought that''s such a cool name. Wanna trade??
2.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, both my boys have more common names. For some reason, I think it''s better to have common names for boys, but with girls, the names can be a bit more creative. I have no idea why I think that. lol

My older son''s name is in the top-20
My younger''s is in the top-40

My boys have different hair color and are built differently, yet people get their names mixed up all the time. I mix them up too. Always calling them by the wrong name. Yesterday, I accidently called my cat my younger son''s name.
37.gif

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
OK, the real reason I''m asking this is because one of my best friends is throwing a baby shower, and the mommy to be is having a girl. She''s planning on naming her...

Chandelier.

Yes, like the light fixture.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/10/2010 10:15:36 AM
Author: waterlilly
I''m not sure why, but I really dislike unusual names. Not uncommon names, but unusual names. I have a couple of uncommon names picked out - sort of ''older'' names that aren''t used much anymore. But, when I see names that are spelled all wacky it makes no sense to me - seems like a way for the parents to grab on to some thread of individuality at the expense of poor child that is going to have to pronounce and spell their name to everyone for the rest of their life.

Trends come and go and it seems like there is this trend now for names that end in ''den'', I cringe every time I hear one!
19.gif
Agree. Not only pronunciation and spelling, but also meaning in some cases.

I feel like by naming your child something really unconventional, the parent is thinking more of themselves than the child''s future. The name becomes more a reflection of the parent(s) rather than the child. Names precede one in life, they can set the tone for who the child will grow up to be, there have been studies done on this sort of thing. I come from a small rural community in the midwest where people name their girls things like Chastity, Charity, Hope, etc. I''ve yet to see a classmate of mine with a name like that go on to first of all leave the town (EVER), go to college, or do much of anything besides stay in the same town and reproduce. And name any offspring similarly.

Just saying as a parent I think there is a certain responsibility to think toward the future for your child and know that what name you choose will affect his/her life whether that is right or wrong. When employers see resumes, the FIRST THING on the resume is the name. Lots of assumptions can be made about names.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
MC, I have totally called my cat my daughter''s name too.
2.gif

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
I have a friend who named her son aaxyom (ax-um) and I really love it, I think its such a cute name
1.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2010 11:50:14 AM
Author: PinkAsscher678
OK, the real reason I''m asking this is because one of my best friends is throwing a baby shower, and the mommy to be is having a girl. She''s planning on naming her...

Chandelier.

Yes, like the light fixture.
What a terrible name to grow up with. What''s the child''s middle name? Hopefully it''s a cute name so the child can go by that instead.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
I have a horrid desire to name a son ''Adonis''.

I really just love the name.

I wouldn''t do it to a child, but it would be my fondest desire.

Honestly, I would only give my children neutral and ambiguous names, since I understand that name profiling exists for jobs and such. I think it''s horribly selfish to disadvantage my own child for my own vanity.

A girl would be Avery, not sure what we would name a boy.

however, if I get another Rhodesian Ridgeback, I''m naming it ''Jumanji''!
9.gif

we don''t plan to have kids, but it''s fun to think of names anyway. We might adopt an older child, and I doubt we would re-name... unless they wanted to choose their own name.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2010 12:00:15 PM
Author: Smurfyimproved
I have a friend who named her son aaxyom (ax-um) and I really love it, I think its such a cute name
1.gif
like axiom?

Main Entry: ax·i·om
Pronunciation: \ˈak-sç-əm\
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin axioma, from Greek axiôma, literally, something worthy, from axioun to think worthy, from axios worth, worthy; akin to Greek agein to weigh, drive — more at agent
Date: 15th century
1 : a maxim widely accepted on its intrinsic merit
2 : a statement accepted as true as the basis for argument or inference : postulate 1
3 : an established rule or principle or a self-evident truth

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/10/2010 12:02:32 PM
Author: trillionaire

Honestly, I would only give my children neutral and ambiguous names, since I understand that name profiling exists for jobs and such. I think it''s horribly selfish to disadvantage my own child for my own vanity.

9.gif

we don''t plan to have kids, but it''s fun to think of names anyway. We might adopt an older child, and I doubt we would re-name... unless they wanted to choose their own name.
THIS.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
About mispronouncing names...my niece''s friend''s daughter''s name is Penelope...they had taken their kids to an in house sitting service (at a resort type restaurant) and when they picked the kids up after dinner, the one ''sitter'' called the little girl, (spelled phonetically) "Peen-a-lope" your mother is here!" The mother was livid and replied, "Seriously? Do you really think I''d name my daughter "Peen-a-lope?" I have to admit, I LOL''d at that one.

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/10/2010 12:00:15 PM
Author: Smurfyimproved
1.gif

Oh my. That''s a perfect example of a name where he will have to repeat several times, spell and pronounce his name to everyone he meets for the rest of his life.

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Chandelier? Where does your friend live? You''d have trouble even registering that as a name in some areas.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/10/2010 11:21:55 AM
Author: sugarpie honeybun
Two girls names that have recently started to grow on me (if we ever have a girl) - Cadence (kind of different, no?) and Ruby.
Speaking of names..."formerly known as" what???
31.gif

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/10/2010 12:02:32 PM
Author: trillionaire

9.gif

I''ve met a few large dogs name Adonis! Resist the urge, resist the urge!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results