shape
carat
color
clarity

Do your kids have unusual names?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
PinkAsscher, I just wanted to say that I love the name Marley. I don''t think of the dog. I think of Bob. I grew up listening to my parent''s Bob Marley music (and they were most certainly not hippies... well, maybe my dad in college, but definitely not my mother). The first "big" vacation FI and I took together was to Jamaica and it was his first time being introduced to reggae. Now our "Legend" CD is the only one we can listen to in the car together without argument. We both have completely opposite tastes in music. I like folksy, off-beat tunes and he''s into hard rock. But put on some Marley and we''re both happy campers.

"Is This Love" is a definite contender for our first dance song at our wedding this summer too! I just wanted to let you know that I think your daughter''s name is great! I don''t think of dreadlocks and mary jane. I think of happiness and warmth and calm.

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
My friend had a client who named her daughter La Quinta, because the baby was conceived in one of hotels in that chain.

mtjoya

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 12:26:38 AM
Author: havernell
My friend had a client who named her daughter La Quinta, because the baby was conceived in one of hotels in that chain.
Wow!?!?!? Seriously? That''s crazy! I booked a room there for my hubby and I last valentines... a year later we had a bebe!
3.gif

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/23/2010 7:45:42 PM
Author: Travel Goddess
PinkAsscher, I just wanted to say that I love the name Marley. I don''t think of the dog. I think of Bob. I grew up listening to my parent''s Bob Marley music (and they were most certainly not hippies... well, maybe my dad in college, but definitely not my mother). The first ''big'' vacation FI and I took together was to Jamaica and it was his first time being introduced to reggae. Now our ''Legend'' CD is the only one we can listen to in the car together without argument. We both have completely opposite tastes in music. I like folksy, off-beat tunes and he''s into hard rock. But put on some Marley and we''re both happy campers.

''Is This Love'' is a definite contender for our first dance song at our wedding this summer too! I just wanted to let you know that I think your daughter''s name is great! I don''t think of dreadlocks and mary jane. I think of happiness and warmth and calm.

Thank you so much, that really means a lot. That''s exactly what I had hoped her name to convey. It hurts my feelings when people connect her name with a dog or drugs (even though that''s inevitable I suppose), because when I picked her name it was based on the fact that Bob Marley''s music really helped to pull me out of a terrible time in my life. It''s so calm and relaxing, and it''s really about enjoying love and life. I''m happy that it''s not lost on everyone. And honestly, I think people do take away that association but for the sake of the argument that was happening, drugs and dogs is where some people decided to take it. Bob Marley is the only music my husband and I can listen to together as well!

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
I was just talking about my son''s name on another thread (b/c we are trying to come up with a name for #2 and i am looking at site after site for inspiration)
We chose our son''s name for a couple of reasons (he''s Cohen)..mostly b/c my DH is a lover of Leonard Cohen music and poetry. My sister came up with it and at that time she did not know that DH and I were deciding b/w the boy names Colin and Owen. When she suggested his name (a combo of the two we liked) we thought that was very neat. We then found out we have family ties to this name (but with a different spelling) --so we went with it. A few weeks after his birth someone asked me if we got the name from the show the OC. I''d never seen an episode but i googled the name and that''s when i discoverd that it was a sacred Jewish surname and deemed inappropriate (or insulting) by some jews when used in any other way. One website even quoted someone who said ppl who use the name are ignorant hill-billies. This really hurt me b/c i would never want my child to indirectly insult someone & i am usually really careful about things like this. So many ppl use surnames as a first name and so never in a million years did i think i would choose the one name that shouldn''t be used as a first. To be honest, i didn''t look into it. We''ll educate him to be sensitive to this fact, if he wants to change it when older, he can.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 2:01:35 PM
Author: Jas12
I was just talking about my son''s name on another thread (b/c we are trying to come up with a name for #2 and i am looking at site after site for inspiration)

We chose our son''s name for a couple of reasons (he''s Cohen)..mostly b/c my DH is a lover of Leonard Cohen music and poetry. My sister came up with it and at that time she did not know that DH and I were deciding b/w the boy names Colin and Owen. When she suggested his name (a combo of the two we liked) we thought that was very neat. We then found out we have family ties to this name (but with a different spelling) --so we went with it. A few weeks after his birth someone asked me if we got the name from the show the OC. I''d never seen an episode but i googled the name and that''s when i discoverd that it was a sacred Jewish surname and deemed inappropriate (or insulting) by some jews when used in any other way. One website even quoted someone who said ppl who use the name are ignorant hill-billies. This really hurt me b/c i would never want my child to indirectly insult someone & i am usually really careful about things like this. So many ppl use surnames as a first name and so never in a million years did i think i would choose the one name that shouldn''t be used as a first. To be honest, i didn''t look into it. We''ll educate him to be sensitive to this fact, if he wants to change it when older, he can.

No matter what you name your child, someone isn''t going to like it. Cohen is an awesome name to have, and you and your son should be proud of it always. If someone ever questions you, he was named after a musician.

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Thanks PA--luckily i''ve run into a couple ppl of the jewish faith (that i don''t know, but like grocery store clerks etc, who ask about the baby in the cart) and one said, oh cool, that is a name of honor for my religion. i am just afraid he''ll meet someone who thinks the opposite. But it''s becoming a very popular name in canada so at least he won''t be alone
2.gif

Also wanted to mention, i know 2 ppl by the name Marley. Never once have i associated that name with either a dog (who is this dog?) or drugs (that''s wacky). Actually, didn''t really think of Bob either. Just thought it was a cute name. I like Mar for short too.

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
I think my parents did an amazing job of naming my brother and I names that you''ve definitely heard of but are uncommon enough that we never shared the name with anyone in classes or anything. When I was little it bugged me that nothing had my name on it (i.e. stupid magnets or keychains) but now that I''ve gotten over that haha I really like that it''s unique. If someone yells "mallory" I don''t wonder if they''re talking to me or not.

I always loved the name Corrie for a girl but then I met a girl in high school with that name who i really disliked, so that''s out.

My new favorite names are Ari for a boy and Audra for a girl although I hate that they begin with the same letter so I doubt I would name two children those exact names. My married last name will be rather long (10 letters) so I''ve started finding shorter first names I like. SO likes Ari too which is good, he likes it cause I got the idea from a famous drummer and SO happens to be a drummer himself.

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Oh also I forgot to mention that I LOVED the name Jezebel when I was really little (like middle school) and almost named a bunny that I got Jezebel - and finally my mom had to explain to me what that name meant... I named the bunny Starrling instead haha.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was reading my Fitness magazine last night and in one article this female''s name was mentioned: Cincere-Lee. I got a good chuckle out of that one and immediately thought of this thread.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2010 10:06:20 AM
Author: Callisto
I think my parents did an amazing job of naming my brother and I names that you''ve definitely heard of but are uncommon enough that we never shared the name with anyone in classes or anything. When I was little it bugged me that nothing had my name on it (i.e. stupid magnets or keychains) but now that I''ve gotten over that haha I really like that it''s unique. If someone yells ''mallory'' I don''t wonder if they''re talking to me or not.

I always loved the name Corrie for a girl but then I met a girl in high school with that name who i really disliked, so that''s out.

My new favorite names are Ari for a boy and Audra for a girl although I hate that they begin with the same letter so I doubt I would name two children those exact names. My married last name will be rather long (10 letters) so I''ve started finding shorter first names I like. SO likes Ari too which is good, he likes it cause I got the idea from a famous drummer and SO happens to be a drummer himself.
The bolded part made me giggle - come hang out with my BF and me. It''ll make me laugh when both of you turn around!

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/25/2010 11:09:36 AM
Author: princesss
Date: 2/25/2010 10:06:20 AM

I think my parents did an amazing job of naming my brother and I names that you''ve definitely heard of but are uncommon enough that we never shared the name with anyone in classes or anything. When I was little it bugged me that nothing had my name on it (i.e. stupid magnets or keychains) but now that I''ve gotten over that haha I really like that it''s unique. If someone yells ''mallory'' I don''t wonder if they''re talking to me or not.

The bolded part made me giggle - come hang out with my BF and me. It''ll make me laugh when both of you turn around!

Haha. I''m actually VERY sensitive to my name as a result of this though. Like I hear people say my name in converations across the room because my brain just automatically goes "they''re talking to you!" so I have been known to respond to people when my name comes up in their conversation.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2010 10:07:54 AM
Oh also I forgot to mention that I LOVED the name Jezebel when I was really little (like middle school) and almost named a bunny that I got Jezebel - and finally my mom had to explain to me what that name meant... I named the bunny Starrling instead haha.

I know a lot of bunnies and Jezebel would be a fitting name for many of them

3.gif
I actually know one named exactly that! Haha.

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
No joke. My ex was standing in line at a cafe in Houston and heard these ladies talking about a friend that had just had her first baby. He was kind of catching bits and pieces btw the squeals and shrieks. He said that he finally heard "Girl, she named her the prettiest name...Taa-queer-ah" (I spelled it out phonetically). One of the ladies responded "How do you spell that?" Her friend responded "t-a-q-u-e-r-i-a" He said he stood there for a second while it sank in and his jaw dropped. He said "Excuse me ladies, I don''t mean to be rude but did you say that your friend named her baby Taqueria??" (pronouncing it as Ta-ka-re-ah, you know the mexican cafe type thing). One of the ladies responded "No honey, she named her Taa-queer-ah". He then responded and spelled Taqueria. Then they dropped some jaws. Yeah. That lady named her daughter Taqueria. Like a Taqueria. But better because it was pronounced different.
2.gif

My name is pretty different, at least that is what I think. My parents named me after the Fleetwood Mac song, Rhiannon. They spelled it differently, though. Reannan. I think it is cool, I wish I would have stuck with it while I was growing up instead of going by my middle name, Renee.
38.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results