Votes: 16 23.2%
  • 3. Mostly warmer tones, like red, pink, orange, yellow

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • 4. Love all colors and my collection reflects that

Votes: 43 62.3%

• Total voters

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Those who have collected CS for a while, do you find that you tend to only buy certain colors or tones e.g. cooler colors like blues and greens vs warmer colors like pink, red, yellow? Or do you like all colors or consciously try to have all the different colors? Or has your buying preference changed/evolved with time?

In my very short time with CS, I realize that I gravitate towards cooler colors and so my collection currently consist of turquoise, blue, green and purple stones. Nothing in the warm range (yet). Wondering if that’s normal.

I can totally understand why I choose those colors as it pretty much matches up with my usual wardrobe.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Greeeeeeeeeeeen!!!!! GREEEEEEEEEEEN!!!! GREEEEEEEEEN!!!!

hehe was I clear enough?

Actually I am branching out and looking at more colours! I have always loved yellow as well (hence the username) and warming up to the virtues of pink after living with Pink Bandit for so long.

Still not big on blue or proper purple though. I love the bright zircon blue and the paraiba blues but not the straight blues or purples.

We could totes go stone shopping together @icy_jade

Would not buy the same stones most likely!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the beginning I was intent on building a collection of a variety of CS, and at one time I had fairly decent specimens of every kind of Garnet (which can run the rainbow spectrum) and a number of Tourmalines of varying colors ... but over the years I found I mostly preferred greens and blues, and pretty much the only "red" I wanted to wear was Ruby (my birthstone).

For whatever reason, "purple" reads Amethyst to me, even when I know otherwise, so I sold my purple Spinel and a purple Sapphire - though I definitely have a thing for silvery-grey and smoky-grey Spinels.

I learned I don't care to wear color-changing and color-shifting stones.

As much as I love faceted CS, I've always adored CS cabochons - and my Cabochons run more the rainbow gamut as compared to my faceted collection.

So, yeah, I've finessed my collection to reflect what I wear and what I want to set to wear - I really don't want beautiful stones sitting in a box - I'd rather sell them to someone else who will appreciate them more.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me its pretty one sided. it’s blues and lavenders, and silvery tones in moonstones, pearls, etc. I like some greens but only if mixed with blue tones. However, I have collected a few things that don’t fit into this, such as green nephrite (yellow tones in the green) and a very occasional pink/red piece. The one exception is that I love the orange fire in spessartites. orange is not a great color on me, but I love them so much that I don’t care and will wear them anyway.

I love cabochons and soft, rounded shapes most of all .

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bluegemz your response about the orange reminds me that I have never once considered whether I can wear or look decent in the various shades of green I chose to wear. I just wear it and force them to work! I think people are just used to seeing me in green by now :D

That’s how my affinity to blue started, just very naturally. It felt right and I just was always attracted to Blue and lavender. Over time, I noticed that people commented that Blue looked good on me, and I started to notice that I thought so too. It was more about how it felt to wear the color instead of how it looked.

Now with orange, it’s pretty obvious that it’s not my best color, but I still wear it because it’s the feeling and energy of wearing it that attracts me, and I can pull it off.

With yellow, there is no way as it’s very in flattering on me. And though I quite like the color, it really is tough to pull off. I had a lovely amber necklace which served only to to bring out the yellow in my teeth and eyes lol which I why I sold it. And I’ve tried on yellow sapphire rings which make the skin on my hands look bad every time. Sigh...

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Various shades of blues, green and blue greens are my favourites for gemstones. I also like cool tones like magenta and purple. I do like a bit of rainbow, so I have acquired a red garnet and a yellow stone. But the blues and greens are clearly my favourites and wear them most often.

Soft pinks are just awful with my skintone, so I sold them as I did not enjoy wearing those.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I gravitate to stones that are green-blue and red-pink. After joining PS, I became fascinated with colored stones so my collection crosses the spectrum...no grey or peach but probably most every other color. For colors that don't work with my skin tones, like orange and soft pinks, I tend to halo them with other colors that work with my skin tone.

At first, my rule was not to buy anything with the same type/color stone but I've since broken that many times over as it's hard to resist affordable stones that sing to me.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I definitely like having a rainbow. That’s why one of my favorite gemstones is opal! That said, I do realise that I am particular about certain shades.
  • I am crazy about minty colors but don’t like dark green. Emeralds are amazing but the green of chrome diopside is not for me. Tsavorites kind of walk the line for me, some are gorgeous and some are just meh to me.
  • I think I like my red and pink to be separate—would love a fiery hot pink gem one day. I keep admiring the gorgeous rubellites here but haven’t pulled the trigger, could be they are too red for my taste.
  • I really like pink-purple though! There are not enough magenta gems on here.
  • I like yellow and orange but similar with pink, they cannot have too much red. I currently have a blood orange zircon ring that I don’t wear much for that reason.
  • I used to like all blues but PS has definitely ruined me by giving me a taste for cornflower blue, and worse, paraiba blue. All out of my price range!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really feel that colors are expressions of energies. For example, in the organization of chakra colors, ...a simplistic run down.....purple is third eye, ethereal, spiritual and beyond self, Blue having to do with throat, self actualizarion, having /finding one’s ‘voice’, greens and yellows heart energy, oranges gut and instict energy, and reds root/deep connection/blood energy/courage.

I know some do not think of colors this way, but I can’t help it! :) For each person, color may be associated with a different energy, as color interpretation is very subjective. But my point is that it feels like there is a natural association between the two.

S

SparkliesLuver

Each stone has to speak to me, but I do find myself gravitating toward blues/teals (primarily tourmaline and spinel) and pinks/reds (primarily spinel). I enjoy orange and yellow on others but they look terrible with my skin tone. Green is tricky as it has to have a blue component, otherwise I can easily pass.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shame on me but I have a little bit of everything....lol I don't discriminate.:mrgreen2:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everything :lol:

Tanzanite
Pink Sapphire
Rainbow sapphires
Colombian Emerald
Amethyst
Garnet
Citrine
Smokey Quartz
Swiss and London blue topaz

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Great topic! I'm definitely a cool colors person, blues, greens, and purples for the most part. Yvonne's gorgeous spinels have seduced me into adding some bright pinks and even a little bit of red :) I don't wear yellow or orange in jewels or clothing, those colors are unflattering in the extreme on me. I can get away with some shades of peach if there's enough pink in the mix. I stick to white metals or rose gold for settings.

TeaGlutton

Rough_Rock
I would say I prefer purple/green/blue but I wear a rainbow. I "live" in my jewelry (I had Yvonne make wee little emerald danglies for her wee little diamond hoops that are super comfortable!) so I go to bed and wake up colorful. Strange, I know! I am afraid I'll smash something pretty and soft like sphene, so I avoid it. I also like different "effects" or phenomena so that something is always looking it's best.

I wear daily:
alexandrite (as a halo for a ring, the color change changes the mood of the ring)
purple sapphire (because purple and green look beautiful together)
pink spinel (cabochon, glowy little bastard that is always "on")
grey sapphire (sometimes grey, sometimes white, sometimes lavender)
ruby (outdoor red, indoor smoulder)
paraiba (always neon)
blue sapphire (came out dark :( maybe change one day)
emerald (super glow-y)
tourmaline (minty)

Something is always "on" and it's fun to look at. I am waiting on the construction of a custom blue star sapphire/diamond halo ring to add asterism to the list. And I guess diamonds add sparkle (on the earrings but I can't see them like I can with a ring).

I still need to work in yellow and orange somewhere/sometime, but I'm on a jewelry ban after this ring is finished!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would say I prefer purple/green/blue but I wear a rainbow. I "live" in my jewelry (I had Yvonne make wee little emerald danglies for her wee little diamond hoops that are super comfortable!) so I go to bed and wake up colorful. Strange, I know! I am afraid I'll smash something pretty and soft like sphene, so I avoid it. I also like different "effects" or phenomena so that something is always looking it's best.

I wear daily:
alexandrite (as a halo for a ring, the color change changes the mood of the ring)
purple sapphire (because purple and green look beautiful together)
pink spinel (cabochon, glowy little bastard that is always "on")
grey sapphire (sometimes grey, sometimes white, sometimes lavender)
ruby (outdoor red, indoor smoulder)
paraiba (always neon)
blue sapphire (came out dark :( maybe change one day)
emerald (super glow-y)
tourmaline (minty)

Something is always "on" and it's fun to look at. I am waiting on the construction of a custom blue star sapphire/diamond halo ring to add asterism to the list. And I guess diamonds add sparkle (on the earrings but I can't see them like I can with a ring).

I still need to work in yellow and orange somewhere/sometime, but I'm on a jewelry ban after this ring is finished!
Ooh, I hope we get to see your star ring!!! I’m a HUGE star sapphire lover! And, would be great if you added to the ‘Show your star sapphires and rubies’ thread.

TeaGlutton

Rough_Rock
Ooh, I hope we get to see your star ring!!! I’m a HUGE star sapphire lover! And, would be great if you added to the ‘Show your star sapphires and rubies’ thread.

I know! I will definitely post it there. I can't wait! (I'll totally go into what I imagined when I have pics to share!)

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know! I will definitely post it there. I can't wait! (I'll totally go into what I imagined when I have pics to share!)
That’s awesome! Love that you are adding asterism to your collection! Really looking forward to it.

sydneyatl

Shiny_Rock
Rainbow for me! On the hunt for a good amethyst and a yellow zircon next.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not wear yellow, orange and blue much in clothes except when they are part of a pattern.
I am fond of pinks, greens, turquoise and purple.
One day I may have a rainbow.

DK :))

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for everyone’s responses! I was knocking myself on the head for not asking for pics too haha. Is it too late to ask now?

Interesting that no one clicked on the warmer color option.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your kind words @icy_jade

Would love to see your pics with favourite cool colours as well

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely skewed towards the cool spectrum, but I’d never turn my back on any good warm stones. All are welcome!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results