color
clarity

Do You Still Have Your Original Engagement Ring

• Thread starter MTHealthyLiving
  • Start date

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I looked up 1970’s brushed gold engagement rings...most rings then were .25 to .50. Mine was .35 yellow gold, thin, cathedral , domed . The setting didn’t last long, the brushed hold had to be redone a lot. I sold the setting and band for scrap. The diamond is in a halo pendant long before anyone was getting halos.

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wish I did, but unfortunately my original ring was lost many years ago. Literally just slipped off my finger and I didn't even notice :(2 I loved everything about it too, stone was super ideal & setting was perfectly my style.
myBKweddingset2.jpg

So for our 10 year anniversary, DH agreed to replace/upgrade my ring and I ended up with a gorgeous and MUCH larger OEC.
IMG_5553.jpg

I love it and I probably wouldn't have gotten this ring had I not lost my original, but still from sentimental perspective I wish I still had my original ring. In an ideal world, I would re-create the ring exactly one day...

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I did, but unfortunately my original ring was lost many years ago. Literally just slipped off my finger and I didn't even notice :(2 I loved everything about it too, stone was super ideal & setting was perfectly my style.
myBKweddingset2.jpg

So for our 10 year anniversary, DH agreed to replace/upgrade my ring and I ended up with a gorgeous and MUCH larger OEC.
IMG_5553.jpg

I love it and I probably wouldn't have gotten this ring had I not lost my original, but still from sentimental perspective I wish I still had my original ring. In an ideal world, I would re-create the ring exactly one day...

Gorgeous!!! :eek2:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, @RissaLou!!! I’m still tickled “bling” by her...lol!! :mrgreen2:
There are days when I go through DSS, but that dies, quickly. I have the largest diamond in my circle, and in my workplace (competitive with the physicians I work for in our practice). I have more bling than everyone but my boss, and my center stone outweighs hers, so my perspective becomes very humbling, once that reality sets in. I’m the second to last to be married in my workplace, up to this point, as well, so I feel very privileged; my DH spoils me. No doubt, I’m one lucky lady, and I am appreciative of it all. :kiss2:

To update this with an example:
Today, a patient came to my window for his appointment (60+ years old male), and ogled over my ER. Stated he’s “never seen a ring that big! It’s beautiful!” I giggled & replied with, “Oh, you flatter me! Thank you!” I seriously thought to myself, “Buddy, you need to take a trip to Pricescope to see all the amazingly beautiful honkers I get to see, every day!” lol!! :lol-2:
A true example of how perspective makes a difference, and why size is so subjective. ;)2

KirstLWA

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I still have mine.

I started with a yellow gold .2ct maul ring and plain wedding band which I then upgraded when I had my eternity ring made. I put the original stone in the eternity ring and got an IGI graded ESi1 .4 stone. It was a swirl type design so the 2 rings sat together flush like a little nest with the wedding band.

Then on a wedding anniversary I got a new princess cut channel set ring to use for my wedding band to bling it all up a bit.

Then I rhodium plated the set as I prefer the white gold look!

Then I reset my wedding band into a shared prong eternity which is the one I have now and added a blue diamond band to go with it which is my wedding band from our vow renewal last year.

Now I am waiting on the finishing touches on my last upgrade... my 2.3 BGD solitaire.

It's gonna be a whole lot different to where we started!!! But that was a journey over 20 years and I am a whole lot different to where we started too!!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
6D92857B-928E-4A6B-A2CD-554E5CA78DC8.jpeg 64878A60-1802-4956-ACA0-828ADC3D4145.jpeg I took some pictures once again not the best the wedding band is my original and parts of my original engagement ring they are a little snug on me. I got married on 1984 and I think had my engagement ring redone around 1989 maybe 1990..dang those are hugh..sorry...and yeah the rings are a tad snug together...I cant believe I wore them that wide on my little short fat finger lol

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Man, what was I thinking? I found a picture of my original wedding set. Why did I ever think I should change it? :cry2: Now I’m sad.

And sad that my hands look so much older now!!! :eek2:

1B45CF22-2045-4403-AE2D-E9AABC9EA1B8.jpeg

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ring gone. Stone one half of the pair of studs I wear everyday.

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
that is really cool! would love to see a hand shot if you have one :roll2:
gosh alright, it's just a 0.5ct equivalent moissy center but if you insist! ;)2 It has certainly brought me much joy over the years, and husband is also quite proud (in fact he endearingly calls all my other rings "traitor rings").

KPr3nRE.png

tEVl5lE.png

I took these just for you; please excuse my nails, I went swimming a day ago and some polish just peeled right off! :oops2:

@Babyblue033 do you have more pics of your original? The center looks BLUE, surrounded by pink; I love all the color going on! Your new OEC is also spectacular!
@poshmommy holy crap that's beautiful

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Babyblue033 I'm am so very sorry you lost your original
Yours was seriously one of my favorites!! I even remember when you first introduced it.
Your new ring is gorgeous, but I hope you do get to recreate your original someday for sentimentality reasons.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I pulled them out for a little photo shoot.
I would like to find an interesting peg head that can be used on this ering setting, then I 20180703_095644.jpg 20180703_095419.jpg can choose a different stone.

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I pulled them out for a little photo shoot.
I would like to find an interesting peg head that can be used on this ering setting, then I 20180703_095644.jpg 20180703_095419.jpg can choose a different stone.
I think the shape of that stone suits the ring (and your hand) perfectly!

unsettled

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have my original diamond, but the setting is gone. For me, I am not super sentimental about my rings because those aren't what make me married. I understand some folks are, but I am just not. And I am quite sure eventually I will even get a different diamond altogether. I would like to pass my original stone to my daughter.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the shape of that stone suits the ring (and your hand) perfectly!

Thank you, @chappy! I do like the shape of the stone, but the stone is dead looking in person. Just doesn't have any life. Very cheap cz, so I'm only out the cost of the head and the labor fee to set, and it's a lesson learned. I'll find a new stone eventually. I'm thinking moissy.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn’t have one :lol: I’m so sentimental I’m not even sure where my wedding band is, I only wore it for 3-4 days when we got married in 1978.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
No, but I still have the original husband, so that must count for something?? :mrgreen2:

I do have my original wedding ring though. My husband doesn’t believe me but the most sentimental piece of jewelry I own is a pendant he gave when we were newly dating.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do. I hardly wear it and keep thinking I should sell it. But it's so pretty..........

Ally66

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I still have my original engagement diamond from 1987. First setting was a simple 18K yg solitaire. For our 15th anniversary we added the two side stones in a fairly standard 18K yg and platinum 3-stone setting. Several years ago Caysie worked her magic on the 3 stones and I don't anticipate any more changes. Center stone is .43 pts, side stones .33 pts. Original grading was AGS 1/3/5 so roughly equivalent to J SI1 and excellent cut. Fun thread!

IMG_2162.JPG IMG_2154.JPG

unsettled

Shiny_Rock
Premium
No, but I still have the original husband, so that must count for something?? :mrgreen2:

I do have my original wedding ring though. My husband doesn’t believe me but the most sentimental piece of jewelry I own is a pendant he gave when we were newly dating.

I am the same. He gave me a small (like .33 carat) simple pendant for our first Christmas when we were dating, and I am having it set into a ring so I can wear it more. The diamond isn't all that nice, but I could never part with it.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had my original stone made into a pendant set by Ilya at Ivy and Rose. I have a thread around here somewhere about it. It’s really nice, and I am enjoying it as a pendant.

Q

Queenie60

No. Mine was stolen in a home burglary. Along with everything else. I have replaced all over the past 17 years.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, my original diamond was switched. I knew something was wrong immediately, but back then there was no lab report or paperwork to help me prove my case. I called an attorney who told me the burden of proof was on me and that I would probably spend more on his services than on a new stone. I was absolutely devastated. My wonderful husband decided we should trade that ring in and get me an upgrade while we were at it. I'm on my second upgrade now and I'm totally in love with my ring....and my husband too! :P2

cottoncandy

Rough_Rock
I have the setting. I never liked it and had it reset before the wedding. My husband had a local jeweler make it based on a pic I sent him of a style I liked. The final product scared me and reminded me of talons.
7A75892F-57E3-4707-9E51-823C33BCA1D9.jpeg 510D0854-1F3A-4E5C-A49F-3F9C15CD9043.jpeg 2EB6E44B-BD6F-440E-9011-200DF03C93E7.jpeg

Trabert Goldsmiths made the second setting and the whole experience was terrible. I would heartily recommend them to people I dislike. They had it made in Thailand and the quality was so bad that the shank warped when I picked up a carry on bag.
POS.jpg

The last reset was done by Kataoka. I went to their shop in Tokyo, showed the designer a ring of his that I liked, and he sketched out some ideas. I didn’t even see the wax model before it was cast and it still came out exactly how I wanted it. The whole experience couldn’t have been easier and I have no plans of resetting it again. The stone is a branded cut and I had reservations about it. Once I saw it in this setting, I finally loved it.
C4D4EA5C-753B-4EDA-9945-F424ED79E379.jpeg

Hi @JPie :wavey:

I LOVE your Kataoka ring! And while I hate to resurrect an old thread, I wanted to ask about your Kataoka experience. Was it a straightforward process to bring your own diamond? Did you ship them your diamond after it was cast? Thank you!!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @JPie :wavey:

I LOVE your Kataoka ring! And while I hate to resurrect an old thread, I wanted to ask about your Kataoka experience. Was it a straightforward process to bring your own diamond? Did you ship them your diamond after it was cast? Thank you!!

At the time I had my ring made, Kataoka had one store in Tokyo, and they only accepted custom orders after an in-person consultation. I took advantage of a family wedding in Hong Kong to visit Japan and left my diamond in its old setting. The next time I saw my diamond was when it arrived in its new setting. We had agreed to shipping terms during the consultation so I got it delivery duty paid and didn’t have to deal with customs.

I’m not sure how it works with shipping now that they have a store in New York.

Did you have a project in mind? Hope you don’t mind my asking - excited at the prospect of seeing new shiny things!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results