color
clarity

Do You Still Have Your Original Engagement Ring

• Thread starter MTHealthyLiving
  • Start date

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the setting. I never liked it and had it reset before the wedding. My husband had a local jeweler make it based on a pic I sent him of a style I liked. The final product scared me and reminded me of talons.
7A75892F-57E3-4707-9E51-823C33BCA1D9.jpeg 510D0854-1F3A-4E5C-A49F-3F9C15CD9043.jpeg 2EB6E44B-BD6F-440E-9011-200DF03C93E7.jpeg

Trabert Goldsmiths made the second setting and the whole experience was terrible. I would heartily recommend them to people I dislike. They had it made in Thailand and the quality was so bad that the shank warped when I picked up a carry on bag.
POS.jpg

The last reset was done by Kataoka. I went to their shop in Tokyo, showed the designer a ring of his that I liked, and he sketched out some ideas. I didn’t even see the wax model before it was cast and it still came out exactly how I wanted it. The whole experience couldn’t have been easier and I have no plans of resetting it again. The stone is a branded cut and I had reservations about it. Once I saw it in this setting, I finally loved it.
C4D4EA5C-753B-4EDA-9945-F424ED79E379.jpeg

Deets on the center stone!! You gotta tell us all about it!! I’m DROOLING!!! It’s SO GORGEOUS!!!

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The last reset was done by Kataoka. I went to their shop in Tokyo, showed the designer a ring of his that I liked, and he sketched out some ideas. I didn’t even see the wax model before it was cast and it still came out exactly how I wanted it. The whole experience couldn’t have been easier and I have no plans of resetting it again. The stone is a branded cut and I had reservations about it. Once I saw it in this setting, I finally loved it.
@JPie, your ring is so cool!!!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@JPie: if you ever decide to part with that stone, I’m your huckleberry!!! Seek me out!! I love it!!! :love:

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My original erring was the classic yg solitaire so many of us had in 1987. I reset the diamond for my 20th wedding anniversary, and put a cz in the yg setting. The original is tight now, I can get it on in the middle of the winter, but not July! And, while I'm not opposed to alternative stones, I don't like that particular cz, so I'm thinking I want to get something else and of course, have the setting resized. I still have the original wedding ring, which I never loved. I was stuck on the idea that I wanted matching rings with DH, but it just wasn't the right wedding ring for my solitaire. Too small now, I keep it for sentimental reasons. At some point, I'll likely give it to one of my daughters.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the setting. I never liked it and had it reset before the wedding. My husband had a local jeweler make it based on a pic I sent him of a style I liked. The final product scared me and reminded me of talons.
7A75892F-57E3-4707-9E51-823C33BCA1D9.jpeg 510D0854-1F3A-4E5C-A49F-3F9C15CD9043.jpeg 2EB6E44B-BD6F-440E-9011-200DF03C93E7.jpeg

Trabert Goldsmiths made the second setting and the whole experience was terrible. I would heartily recommend them to people I dislike. They had it made in Thailand and the quality was so bad that the shank warped when I picked up a carry on bag.
POS.jpg

Kataoka for the win! Your post cracked me up with the scary talons and the recommendations for your enemies. Glad you got the ring and setting you love finally!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@JPie, your ring is so cool!!!
Thank you!

@JPie: if you ever decide to part with that stone, I’m your huckleberry!!! Seek me out!! I love it!!! :love:
:lol: I think my husband would kill me if I ever sold it. The stone is a Crisscut Cushion by Christopher Designs. It’s 1.03ct, F color, and VVS2(?). The melee totals .38ctw, PT900, 1mm wide and 2mm thick, with milgrain finish, size 5.5.

Kataoka for the win! Your post cracked me up with the scary talons and the recommendations for your enemies. Glad you got the ring and setting you love finally!
Thanks, me too! When we first got engaged, his cousin asked to see the ring and I swear she involuntarily made a sound of disgust. I couldn’t hold that against her as it was my first reaction too.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you!

:lol: I think my husband would kill me if I ever sold it. The stone is a Crisscut Cushion by Christopher Designs. It’s 1.03ct, F color, and VVS2(?). The melee totals .38ctw, PT900, 1mm wide and 2mm thick, with milgrain finish, size 5.5.

Thanks, me too!

We even wear the same size!! (I’m a 5.5-wear a 6 for swelling, but I’d make that ring fit...lol!!). I understand; we are very sentimental; as much as my DH could care less about jewelry, he’s become quite fond of my wedding rings. I think he has fallen in love with them almost as much as I have because it gives him pleasure watching my face light up, every time I look at them, and he’s with me. Secretly, he loves that I get a ton of compliments on them, when we’re out in public. It shows. ;)2
Your DH did a great job with the stone. I’m glad you got rid of the talons ring...lol! It’s a bit scary!! The final reset is beautiful!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We even wear the same size!! (I’m a 5.5-wear a 6 for swelling, but I’d make that ring fit...lol!!). I understand; we are very sentimental; as much as my DH could care less about jewelry, he’s become quite fond of my wedding rings. I think he has fallen in love with them almost as much as I have because it gives him pleasure watching my face light up, every time I look at them, and he’s with me. Secretly, he loves that I get a ton of compliments on them, when we’re out in public. It shows. ;)2
Your DH did a great job with the stone. I’m glad you got rid of the talons ring...lol! It’s a bit scary!! The final reset is beautiful!

That’s so sweet that your husband is proud of your ring. He did a great job!

If I knew then what I do now, I probably would’ve gotten a larger OEC in the G-I, VS-SI range instead. Then I remember that there’s always anniversary upgrades. :twisted2:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s so sweet that your husband is proud of your ring. He did a great job!

If I knew then what I do now, I probably would’ve gotten a larger OEC in the G-I, VS-SI range instead. Then I reminder that there’s always anniversary upgrades. :twisted2:

Girl!! YES!!! o_O lol!!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do NOT have the ring I was engaged with (major problems with the setting, traded it up, still wasn't happy, started over) but I DO have and love my original set I was married with (10 years later). I honestly have no plans to ever change it out, for daily wear, it's perfect. If I ever go for a bigger diamond it'll be set in something RHR friendly.

justpeachy

Shiny_Rock
I have my original e-ring but haven't worn it in years. The setting was nothing but trouble. Prongs broke, bands rubbed, etc. We were young & my soon-to-be husband worked really hard to surprise me with it in a time when we could hardly swing groceries. A lot of friends got married/engaged later than we did & have some stunners with serious coverage (hello DSS). But I'm still very sentimental about the diamond, I won't ever upgrade it. 10 years and 3 babies later I'm in the process of having it set into a CVB. I've still got the original setting with hopes I can re-purpose the little stones one day.

original

CVB cad unnamed.jpg

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

POS.jpg

This is so unusual and beautiful!!!

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I still have my setting but traded the stone to help pay for the upgraded stone. I wish I would have kept the original stone, even though it was not a great cut, but it was not feasible at the time. :(2 I am very sentimental of the setting and probably will never upgrade it.:mrgreen2:

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have my original e-ring but haven't worn it in years. The setting was nothing but trouble. Prongs broke, bands rubbed, etc. We were young & my soon-to-be husband worked really hard to surprise me with it in a time when we could hardly swing groceries. A lot of friends got married/engaged later than we did & have some stunners with serious coverage (hello DSS). But I'm still very sentimental about the diamond, I won't ever upgrade it. 10 years and 3 babies later I'm in the process of having it set into a CVB. I've still got the original setting with hopes I can re-purpose the little stones one day.

original

CVB cad unnamed.jpg
Your new setting is gorgeous! Can’t wait to see the finished product.

This is so unusual and beautiful!!!
Thank you!

Diamond425

Shiny_Rock
I do not have my original diamond anymore. My sweet husband upgraded me for our 10 anniversary with a 2 ct round. I miss my Marquise but he really wanted me to have it. I didn’t keep it because I knew I wouldn’t wear it as I have several other diamond rings he have brought me our the years. That I have to switch out time to time here’s my new baby. I call her “Stephie” 890033C8-6A8B-40FE-9583-54DFEFAAC532.jpeg 5FA889AC-4AF8-4A50-98BF-6DCD87AD0B80.jpeg

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have the ring but I have the parts! My ring was a 3 stone with a 1.25 ct center diamond and sapphire side. I had the diamond set in a CvB Astrid and the sapphires set in a custom bangle by CvB. IMG_6052.jpg
The stone is pretty included but looks great as a pendant! And believe me, no one looks at my chest, lol!
20171117_205729-1.jpg

I also had 2 bands that I used the stones for a CvB Rhoda with an old stock Persian cab.

20171203_211219.jpg

I adore these pieces now! And I tell myself that I really didn't get anything new!!!! :lol-2::lol-2::lol-2::lol-2:

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yes, I do! And I'll never change it.

9KZu02Q.png

Dug up the original sketch in my emails, drawn by my then-boyfriend. He envisioned a lily-of-the-valley bud (my favorite flower) on top a möbius twist band.

9tnZ2Ub.jpg

Mark Morrell interpreted it beyond perfectly.

ddshRRb.gif

He even sent us this nifty animation!

The center stone is moissanite, but even that is irreplaceable because it was a very short-lived "Mira" batch, with the laser-engraving "Mira" inside. Mira is the name I made up for one of my good friends, when she asked for an English name long ago. We had a bet about weddings, because at the time I was much younger than her and swore I would only have my first kiss on the day of my wedding! (I still owe her some kobe beef for that) I told my then-BF about the bet when he tried to kiss me, and he said he would pay for the bet. :lol-2: He still owes her!! Just a matter of distance and time, but one day I would love to see her again.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Oh brings back memories! I still have mine!

This is the second setting. The first was a plain band that I hated (but I still have it some where!).

But this was set terribly with botched claws. And then one of the pave dropped out after I brought the ring for cleaning and instructed no ultrasonic and the stupid sales person still dropped it into the ultrasonic cleaner :angryfire:

The pave never looked the same again... and over the years my finger has grown quite a bit so I can’t wear it any more. Have been thinking about resetting it lately,,, maybe third time’s the charm?

Can’t quite rem the specs but think it should be a 0.74 or 0.75 H VS1 Gabrielle diamond (105 facets)

47C70F7A-7644-4E01-9E05-F4525A4EE240.jpeg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I still have my original set. I would never get rid of it because the diamond was my hubby's grandmother's diamond. I thinks it's a third of a carat, VS1 and J color.
cmsoriger02.jpg
cmsorig11.jpg
cmsoriginalwedset.jpg

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I dont have the setting. My original half carat diamond I still have though. I had it set as a side stone in one of my larger right hand rings.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Super cool setting!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have my original setting or my diamond. Diamond has been upgraded, and my setting is on consignment with Erica at LAD. I went from a blinged-out double edge halo to a more classic 6 prong soli in my modified CVB "Jovyn"... and I'd do it again in a heartbeat! :)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have my original which was from Zales, a princess cut .63 carat can't remember the color or clarity set in 18kt yellow gold.

I got an upgrade for our 10th anniversary which was a 1.01 carat princess G VVS2 in platinum which I've since sold and now I wear my OEC moissanite (when my hands aren't swollen) in brushed rose gold.

shoechick

Shiny_Rock
When DH and I got engaged, we agreed to use the .65 diamond I had from my late husband put into a new wedding set to save some money. We picked it out together and it was a platinum set with 4 smaller side diamonds (2 on each side) and a matching band with 6 small diamonds. The diamond was ok quality. We agreed it would eventually be upgraded.

I did upgrade the diamond to a 1.01 for our 5th wedding anniversary. The jeweler bought my original diamond and set the new stone in the platinum wedding set. I always wanted to change the wedding set but wasn't sure how DH felt about it as he is rather sentimental.

Then the set started becoming too uncomfortable to wear in the hotter months when my fingers swelled. And I'm in Florida so it's hot like All. The. Time. So that was my in to get a new set.

I kept the 1.01 and set into a new white gold double shank halo a couple years ago. And I still love the set. I let the jeweler take back the old set although now I wish I would have because I could have picked a lovely colored stone for a RHR.

Now, I just upgraded the center diamond to a 1.24 WF ACA. My 1.01 was decent quality but not good enough to try to sell. So DH said, keep it and set it into a pendant and that way you always have the first diamond that I bought for you. Like I said, sentimental. Luv him!!

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
When DH and I got engaged, we agreed to use the .65 diamond I had from my late husband put into a new wedding set to save some money. We picked it out together and it was a platinum set with 4 smaller side diamonds (2 on each side) and a matching band with 6 small diamonds. The diamond was ok quality. We agreed it would eventually be upgraded.

I did upgrade the diamond to a 1.01 for our 5th wedding anniversary. The jeweler bought my original diamond and set the new stone in the platinum wedding set. I always wanted to change the wedding set but wasn't sure how DH felt about it as he is rather sentimental.

Then the set started becoming too uncomfortable to wear in the hotter months when my fingers swelled. And I'm in Florida so it's hot like All. The. Time. So that was my in to get a new set.

I kept the 1.01 and set into a new white gold double shank halo a couple years ago. And I still love the set. I let the jeweler take back the old set although now I wish I would have because I could have picked a lovely colored stone for a RHR.

Now, I just upgraded the center diamond to a 1.24 WF ACA. My 1.01 was decent quality but not good enough to try to sell. So DH said, keep it and set it into a pendant and that way you always have the first diamond that I bought for you. Like I said, sentimental. Luv him!!

I have the diamond from my wedding set that my late husband got for me as well. It will eventually go to our daughter who is currently 16. (She was 6 when he was KIA in Iraq.) But she does not wear rings or anything like that. So I will need to try to figure something out as I don’t see her wearing a three-quarter carat solitaire anytime soon. But I really want her to have something from her father that was so sentimental.

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

POS.jpg

Your final reset is sooo drool worthy!! Such an interesting cut diamond deserves an equal setting. Love the design. :eek2::kiss2:

justpeachy

Shiny_Rock
Yes, I do! And I'll never change it.

9KZu02Q.png

Dug up the original sketch in my emails, drawn by my then-boyfriend. He envisioned a lily-of-the-valley bud (my favorite flower) on top a möbius twist band.

9tnZ2Ub.jpg

Mark Morrell interpreted it beyond perfectly.

ddshRRb.gif

He even sent us this nifty animation!

The center stone is moissanite, but even that is irreplaceable because it was a very short-lived "Mira" batch, with the laser-engraving "Mira" inside. Mira is the name I made up for one of my good friends, when she asked for an English name long ago. We had a bet about weddings, because at the time I was much younger than her and swore I would only have my first kiss on the day of my wedding! (I still owe her some kobe beef for that) I told my then-BF about the bet when he tried to kiss me, and he said he would pay for the bet. :lol-2: He still owes her!! Just a matter of distance and time, but one day I would love to see her again.

that is really cool! would love to see a hand shot if you have one :roll2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results