Votes: 81 54.0%
  • No

Votes: 69 46.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two deaths in DHs family today. His cousin's FIL and his uncles BIL.
Both over 70, but no additional risk factors. Both wives infected but stable atm.
This is getting closer every day...

Sending my sincerest sympathies to you and yours @kipari

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
A family friend in NY has died at 48. Feeling very sad for her husband and kids.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@VRBeauty, @kipari, @Indylady - I am so, so sorry for your losses :(sad
And I'm so sorry that we're in such a terrible situtuation that you're forced to choose between safety and the companionship of your loved ones. That might be the most heartbreaking thing in all of this.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have just changed my vote to yes. My friend, who is a Respiratory Consultant in Manchester, is just returning to work after 10 days off. She was tested due to being frontline in all of this & confirmed, but it seems her 2 children & husband have had it too.

Interestingly they have all suffered very differently. My friend was full on poorly, fever, cough, body aches for 5 days. The 2 children (aged 6 & 9) both had a nasty dry cough but carried on playing & schooling as normal & her husband had a slight temp for only 24 hours, continuing to work from home throughout. They are all fit & healthy people, so it just goes to show the varying reactions.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two deaths in DHs family today. His cousin's FIL and his uncles BIL.
Both over 70, but no additional risk factors. Both wives infected but stable atm.
This is getting closer every day...

I'm sorry @kipari.

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
Interestingly they have all suffered very differently. My friend was full on poorly, fever, cough, body aches for 5 days. The 2 children (aged 6 & 9) both had a nasty dry cough but carried on playing & schooling as normal & her husband had a slight temp for only 24 hours, continuing to work from home throughout. They are all fit & healthy people, so it just goes to show the varying reactions.

Firstly, my condolences to those who have family who have succumbed to COVID-19.

@Alex T Reading this first-hand account of symptoms is very interesting to me. I am curious because I suspect I may have had COVID in early December 2019. I'd been to visit family on the west coast of Canada, and transited through the airport in Vancouver twice, and the airplanes were packed.

A few days after getting home, I had the strangest flu I'd ever had. I couldn't get warm even with lots of blankets piled on my duvet. Then I'd have a fever and be wringing wet, only to be chilled beyond the bone again. All through the four or five days, I was completely and utterly exhausted—I had to force myself to get up to drink and find something to eat. All I wanted to do was sleep, so that's basically all I did.

As well, I had what I thought was the weirdest cough the whole time. It was a dry cough that just wouldn't stop. No shortness of breath and nothing productive about it, though. Plus, I had a headache, which I never get.

All in all, it was the strangest thing. I very rarely get sick. I quarantined myself to the guest bedroom, used only one bathroom and made sure to wash my hands before and after I touched anything in the kitchen. Those were the only places I used for that period of time. I was super careful as my DH is in a high-risk group.

Looking back, we did the "right" things, as in quarantined me; my DH avoided contact with me; when I ventured out of my sleeping space, I washed my hands before/after touching anything. DH didn't have any symptoms nor did he feel "off". I'm grateful for that! :)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My extreme and adventurous son decided to up and move to Spain in the beginning of March, without knowing a soul. He almost immediately got it, and has now come out the other side, after a week of being pretty sick. Thankfully, he is young, healthy and in great shape, which may or may not have accounted for a complication-free version of it.

I am so worried about so many people, especially about our elderly relatives and friends.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks, @arkieb1 and @yssie and everyone for their condolences...

We can definitey see the infections come closer in circles....

As to the original title of this thread :

Seeing reports of a 10 y/o , a 12 y/o and a 16 y/o die from Covid-19 and a 2 y/o on a ventilator, - in Europe - I have to say I have to try pretty hard not to panic.

We've been isolating in our home with the kids for 3 weeks today. I went for groceries 3 x. But DH is essential and worked.

I'm worried about my elderly family members, but I worry about the kids now.

Great

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
I just changed my vote. A family at my daughter's school visited a hotspot at the beginning of March. By the time they came home, fortunately they had realized the danger and self-quarantined. I just heard from the mom today -- they ended up getting it. Fortunately because they were quick to self-quarantine they hopefully did not pass it to anyone else. They all got "mild" cases (didn't have to go to the hospital) but it sounded like it was like a bad case of the flu.

Nikki1415

Brilliant_Rock
Firstly, my condolences to those who have family who have succumbed to COVID-19.

@Alex T Reading this first-hand account of symptoms is very interesting to me. I am curious because I suspect I may have had COVID in early December 2019. I'd been to visit family on the west coast of Canada, and transited through the airport in Vancouver twice, and the airplanes were packed.

A few days after getting home, I had the strangest flu I'd ever had. I couldn't get warm even with lots of blankets piled on my duvet. Then I'd have a fever and be wringing wet, only to be chilled beyond the bone again. All through the four or five days, I was completely and utterly exhausted—I had to force myself to get up to drink and find something to eat. All I wanted to do was sleep, so that's basically all I did.

As well, I had what I thought was the weirdest cough the whole time. It was a dry cough that just wouldn't stop. No shortness of breath and nothing productive about it, though. Plus, I had a headache, which I never get.

All in all, it was the strangest thing. I very rarely get sick. I quarantined myself to the guest bedroom, used only one bathroom and made sure to wash my hands before and after I touched anything in the kitchen. Those were the only places I used for that period of time. I was super careful as my DH is in a high-risk group.

Looking back, we did the "right" things, as in quarantined me; my DH avoided contact with me; when I ventured out of my sleeping space, I washed my hands before/after touching anything. DH didn't have any symptoms nor did he feel "off". I'm grateful for that! :)

Same here! I'm in NYC and had a 4hr weekly commute on the train I had the same symptoms, I've never had such coughing fits and had breathing problems.
My FIL has the virus but MIL tested negative.

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
Same here! I'm in NYC and had a 4hr weekly commute on the train I had the same symptoms, I've never had such coughing fits and had breathing problems.
My FIL has the virus but MIL tested negative.

@Nikki1415 What time frame did you experience the symptoms? I fortunately didn’t have breathing problems. Glad you got through it!

Are your FIL’s symptoms similar to what yours were? I hope he also heals well—and that your MIL stays well/uninfected.

Nikki1415

Brilliant_Rock
@Nikki1415 What time frame did you experience the symptoms? I fortunately didn’t have breathing problems. Glad you got through it!

Are your FIL’s symptoms similar to what yours were? I hope he also heals well—and that your MIL stays well/uninfected.

Fever was a day or two, tiredness/weak/breathing problems (it felt like I couldn't get enough air & couldn't breathe) for a week or two, the coughing stayed with me for a few months (I had coughing fits that lasted minutes each time). My mom caught it from me but hers wasn't as severe with coughing/breathing issues. It was super weird because you can just track it on which day what symptoms would appear.
FIL has a fever and cough at the moment, hopefully he'll get better on his own because they are in NJ.

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
Fever was a day or two, tiredness/weak/breathing problems (it felt like I couldn't get enough air & couldn't breathe) for a week or two, the coughing stayed with me for a few months (I had coughing fits that lasted minutes each time). My mom caught it from me but hers wasn't as severe with coughing/breathing issues. It was super weird because you can just track it on which day what symptoms would appear.
FIL has a fever and cough at the moment, hopefully he'll get better on his own because they are in NJ.

Wow! The coughing lasted a few months?! Mine disappeared within a few days. I hope your FIL is improving, and thank heavens your mom's was less severe than your symptoms. Fascinating that the timing of the symptoms can be tracked!

How many months ago was this? I suspect I was exposed in late November, en route home via aircraft.

Nikki1415

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! The coughing lasted a few months?! Mine disappeared within a few days. I hope your FIL is improving, and thank heavens your mom's was less severe than your symptoms. Fascinating that the timing of the symptoms can be tracked!

How many months ago was this? I suspect I was exposed in late November, en route home via aircraft.

I was also sick in late November (during the last week). It's not a surprise because I travel to Grad school in Manhattan and I pass the busiest areas. Honestly I was freaking out because I thought that something was wrong with my lungs (grandma had lung cancer). It started with a sore throat first day or two, then dry cough, then fever/chills for a day or two, then I couldn't breathe properly because it felt like something is blocking my airways & I couldn't get enough air. The cough was unlike anything I had ever had because it would start and last at least a few minutes (painful & couldn't breathe).

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
I was also sick in late November (during the last week). It's not a surprise because I travel to Grad school in Manhattan and I pass the busiest areas. Honestly I was freaking out because I thought that something was wrong with my lungs (grandma had lung cancer). It started with a sore throat first day or two, then dry cough, then fever/chills for a day or two, then I couldn't breathe properly because it felt like something is blocking my airways & I couldn't get enough air. The cough was unlike anything I had ever had because it would start and last at least a few minutes (painful & couldn't breathe).

I arrived home November 28 and several days later, was sick. When I think about it, my progression was much like yours, only it felt very mild—just an awareness that my throat felt "off", a slight cough and then... the big fever/chills set in with a vengeance for three days. By day four and five, I was surfacing into the "real" world again.

Interesting, though, that my cough, while persistent and annoying, wasn't painful, and never did leave me feeling out of breath or that I couldn't breathe. I'm grateful, after the fact!

The world is a small place when there are jets flying all over it, sharing the good and the "bad"...

Jadeite_101

Shiny_Rock
A professor of mine in medical school who was a Pedia-Surgeon died of Covid. He was a frontliner.

My classmate in 1st year medical school also has Covid and is currently intubated. She’s an Anesthesiologist and was a frontliner before having been infected with Covid.

2 of our family friends both in their 60’s have died of Covid.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A professor of mine in medical school who was a Pedia-Surgeon died of Covid. He was a frontliner.

My classmate in 1st year medical school also has Covid and is currently intubated. She’s an Anesthesiologist and was a frontliner before having been infected with Covid.

2 of our family friends both in their 60’s have died of Covid.

I am so sorry for your loss and for the world's loss of so many wonderful and special people. Any loss is tragic but all this loss is truly unbearable.

:(

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Nikki1415 and @SparklieBug so glad you are both fully recovered from Covid 19. What a huge relief for you and your families!

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
@missy Thank you! To clarify, I am not certain I had COVID, although I suspect I may have, given the symptoms and the time frame. When/if antibody tests come out, I would like to have one.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy Thank you! To clarify, I am not certain I had COVID, although I suspect I may have, given the symptoms and the time frame. When/if antibody tests come out, I would like to have one.

There's an antibody test, you just have to find someone who has it. At least here (FL), Not covered by insurance and FAIK and only 1 company got FDA approval.

Only 2 places administer down here, I'm sure there will be more across the country though.

@kipari Very sorry to hear about your family members. burial will likely be an issue (hate to be morbid and all) but at the moment theres funeral homes not willing to take bodies.

In my family they've not had much luck and at the moment are looking into cremation which might be the better option. who knows if /when that will actually happen though

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your condolences @Arcadian ... I hope you and your family are well.

The issues regarding the funeral are still manageable here. It's more of a problem due to travel restrictions. Like one son who came from South America and will likely not be able to return home etc etc.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's an antibody test, you just have to find someone who has it. At least here (FL), Not covered by insurance and FAIK and only 1 company got FDA approval.

Only 2 places administer down here, I'm sure there will be more across the country though.

@kipari Very sorry to hear about your family members. burial will likely be an issue (hate to be morbid and all) but at the moment theres funeral homes not willing to take bodies.

In my family they've not had much luck and at the moment are looking into cremation which might be the better option. who knows if /when that will actually happen though

I am sorry @Arcadian. I saw that on the news here too. They are running out of places to bury the bodies. :cry2:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My BIL and SIL have it. Typical presentation, repiratory, coughing, fever. They went to their summer home and apparently neighbours stopped by and gave it to them. SIL is starting to feel better after over a week, BIL says he's not. Hospital would not test them. So I'm thinking our Canadian numbers are way off. They live on the West Coast where the line is definitely flat. So that doesn't make sense.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My BIL and SIL have it. Typical presentation, repiratory, coughing, fever. They went to their summer home and apparently neighbours stopped by and gave it to them. SIL is starting to feel better after over a week, BIL says he's not. Hospital would not test them. So I'm thinking our Canadian numbers are way off. They live on the West Coast where the line is definitely flat. So that doesn't make sense.

Ugh I am sorry @lyra. I was just chatting with Greg and we were saying we are sure there are probably twice the number of cases in NY and NJ based on the fact many aren't getting tested still due to lack of sufficient number of tests.

Hope they recover fully and easily.

What were their neighbors thinking? SMH.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My BIL and SIL have it. Typical presentation, repiratory, coughing, fever. They went to their summer home and apparently neighbors stopped by and gave it to them. SIL is starting to feel better after over a week, BIL says he's not. Hospital would not test them. So I'm thinking our Canadian numbers are way off. They live on the West Coast where the line is definitely flat. So that doesn't make sense.

:oops2:
Oh boy, I hope your BIL dosen't end up in the hospital. One of the more recent deaths down here was a 24 year old dog trainer with no known health issues. That is freakish.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like it's been at least 2 weeks for them by now. BIL is a bit of a hypochondriac, and he will go back to the hospital if he feels worse. My SIL is definitely recovering.

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock

Ugh! Sorry to hear this, @lyra. I hope your family members heal well.

I'm also in Canada and have thought, right from the get-go, that the process of testing is flawed. Not just here, but in many countries. I've read about plenty of cases in Canada where people who exhibit symptoms are not tested—nor are the people who came into contact with people who tested positive for COVID. ???

How, exactly, can accurate "numbers" be determined, and what is the point of publishing "numbers" when they're so wildly inaccurate? It's mind-boggling.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@SparklieBug It doesn't make sense that BC is in a flat line. Obviously they are under reporting, or just plain not testing at all. Like with BIL and SIL they just confirmed they had it with no tests (same with neighbours who gave it to them, so no contact tracing either). At this point, I'm just hoping someone develops an anti-body test we can do at home or something, because otherwise no one ever gets tested here!

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Another wrinkle around testing, in addition to the lack of testing being done at all, is that negative tests are only about 50-75% accurate. A lot of people get possibly exposed or become symptomatic, get tested, get a negative result, and then proceed based on the assumption that the test was accurate and end up spreading it.

I just saw an article today where they are finding enormously high viral loads in anyone with the virus, even if they're asymptomatic or elderly. (Usually, the viral load for respiratory illnesses in the elderly are lower than younger folks.) Just breathing can transmit it, and this means that the number of viable viral particles being deposited on objects around an infected person, then transferred to someone else, is higher than previously thought. They now believe that infected people can infect up to nearly 6 other people on average if not wearing a face mask, as opposed to the earlier estimate of 2-3 others.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results