• Yes

Votes: 81 54.0%
  • No

Votes: 69 46.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FL_Sol

Shiny_Rock
My husband recently had to take up a large workload for a guy in NY who was VERY sick and hospitalized. At first the guy didn't want to talk about it but finally told everyone he had Corona Virus. He lives with his mother who is a nurse and they are thinking she brought it home to him.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The woman who was my late mother's caregiver during her final year of life called me a couple of weeks ago to tell me she was sick at home with COVID-19 (and had tested positive). She said she got it from the elderly couple she was providing care for.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I changed my vote. My aunt on Long Island just was released after five days in the hospital. Very lucky she is as she has COPD, smokes and is 80. Her husband, my uncle, also has it but is refusing treatment. He is 80 with diabetes and a smoker. :(

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I changed my vote. My aunt on Long Island just was released after five days in the hospital. Very lucky she is as she has COPD, smokes and is 80. Her husband, my uncle, also has it but is refusing treatment. He is 80 with diabetes and a smoker. :(

I'm glad your aunt is OK @Slick1 ! I hope your uncle recovers fully.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We have been told my husband's aunt (age 90, has been living in a nursing home for the past 3 years) will not get better. The decision needs to be made as to whether to take her off oxygen.

One colleague's mother has died, another's has recovered, both residents of (different) nursing homes.

A friend has had three children (ages 18, 21, 23) survive the virus. The youngest had symptoms resembling a cold, the other two had much more severe symptoms but did not require hospitalization. My friend is in her 50s - she doesn't understand if/how she avoided infection but is of course grateful that she has had no symptoms.

All but my husband's aunt are from my state (Maine). I am really happy to hear stories here from people who are living in virtually unaffected places. I hope it stays that way! In Maine we are testing more so the positive infection numbers are going up every day. It would be more helpful for comparison purposes if they reported the percent positive.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Maria D I am sorry about your DH's aunt and hope she somehow makes a miraculous recovery or at least doesn't suffer. :(
I know so many people now who have it or had it but of course we are in the tri state area.

I agree it would be helpful if they shared statistics like the percent positive. NJ just tested another 1,000 people who are positive.

FL_Sol

Shiny_Rock
I should add I also live in one of the hardest hit counties in GA and don't actually know anyone who was infected nor anyone who knows anyone. I think this is why many people here feel safe, the news can seem so foreign at times.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I should add I also live in one of the hardest hit counties in GA and don't actually know anyone who was infected nor anyone who knows anyone. I think this is why many people here feel safe, the news can seem so foreign at times.

That’s true. Unless you see people all around you getting sick and dying it’s hard to truly fathom the enormity of it. I am hoping it becomes contained so no one has to experience this to the degree NYC has. :(

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm in NY and know several colleagues who recovered from the virus. I also have a colleague in Paris whose whole family (her, her husband, and son) had the virus but recovered without hospitalization.

No one in the family yet thank god.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one has me shaky. I went to high school with Gabby, we graduated in the same class. We are the same age. We are both special education teachers in NYC for the same amount of time. We both have a four year old. We are both pregnant with our second child. She just died. NYC Teacher

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
NY here. Just one. A friend from college who is a surgeon on Long Island. Severe case in an otherwise healthy 60 year old. Thankfully he was released from the hospital a week ago and is on the mend. he joked that he was now the same weight as he was in college....

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just found out my Husband's Uncle and his Husband both have it.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one has me shaky. I went to high school with Gabby, we graduated in the same class. We are the same age. We are both special education teachers in NYC for the same amount of time. We both have a four year old. We are both pregnant with our second child. She just died. NYC Teacher

I’m so sorry, how tragic. This is hitting extremely close to home.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm so sorry @Asscherhalo_lover, tragic beyond words. :(

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Uncle who lives in Queen's just passed from complications from COVID19.

DH's good friend's parents claim that the disease is a "hoax from the democrats" and refuse to believe him that my uncle died of the disease because they "don't know him".

Well DH did get (and recover from) the virus a month back. They refused to believe him too that the disease is real because "he's recovered and not sick now".

I cannot believe these people.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My BFF was tested & confirmed positive this week. She's a Psychiatric Dr in a nursing home for those with mental health issues. She's lost several patients so far, but we seem to definitely & thankfully be at the tail end now, with only 170 UK deaths in the last 24 hours.

Thankfully she has a mild case, is very tired, no sense of taste or smell, but apart from that she's doing great. Interestingly no temperature or cough, which is what they still say are the main symptoms. She is a week into her 2 week quarantine.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

DH's good friend's parents claim that the disease is a "hoax from the democrats" and refuse to believe him that my uncle died of the disease because they "don't know him".

Well DH did get (and recover from) the virus a month back. They refused to believe him too that the disease is real because "he's recovered and not sick now".

This is just shocking. People never cease to amaze me in what drivel they suck in from media, that just isn't true.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your uncle. Hugs to you.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

OMG! This is so horrifically sad :cry:

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Alexiszoe how incredibly infuriating. I'm so sorry that you have to deal with that.

Thank you all for your kind words. A colleague of hers started a collection for her family so I donated what I could. It's so sad.

Ally66

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Interesting, and alternately encouraging and sad, to see these stories. I wanted to share that I tested positive on March 26; my husband had symptoms starting 5 days after mine but didn't get tested, though I'm confident he had Covid. I'm a nurse so qualified for testing at that time. I was off work for 5 weeks, and had a low-grade fever for 7 weeks total. Our cases were, I'd say, on the mild end of moderate...and I am grateful! It's frightening how unpredictable the virus is. Fever, cough, fatigue, GI issues were some of the things we experienced. I lost my taste/smell the day before I was tested, and I'd say they're only about 50% back. Hoping that will continue to improve!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

im so sorry about your friend and for her child, life is very unfair right now

i must admit ive been too scared to open this thread of late

stay safe everyone

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

very sorry about your uncle

but thank goodness your hubby recovered

i don't understand how people think this is a hoax? or worse its from cell phone towers? but its quite alarning who beleaves this and its not exclusive to one end of the political spectrum

paragon1234

Shiny_Rock
I think my children caught it from nursery and gave it to us and our in-laws. None of us have been tested but our symptoms fit. The worst affected was my MIL, who has asthma. She was coughing so much she coughed up blood and her oxygen saturation was in the 80s sometimes.

The children had cold like symptoms - runny nose, diarrhea, temperature, coughing. Nothing Calpol couldn't handle. They still ran around full of beans.

The adults were more badly affected but none of us have needed hospitalisation. My husband and I are mid 30s with no major health issues and at no point was it worse than flu but it dragged on so long!

We were sick on and off for 3 months. We'd feel better for a couple of days then develop another sore throat and need to sleep all day. We were so tired and run down. It's been very hard working from home and looking after a 1 year old and 3 year old. I only took 3 days off sick in total. I felt really shit but not bad enough to be in bed so felt guilty about taking more time off.

I think we're over it now and I just hope there's no long term damage to our bodies.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am so sorry. Relieved for you that your DH recovered. Those people who don't believe how horrific this whole thing is are showing you who they are and believe it or not doing you a favor. Pay them no attention and focus on your loved ones. I am so sorry for your loss. :(

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think my children caught it from nursery and gave it to us and our in-laws. None of us have been tested but our symptoms fit. The worst affected was my MIL, who has asthma. She was coughing so much she coughed up blood and her oxygen saturation was in the 80s sometimes.

The children had cold like symptoms - runny nose, diarrhea, temperature, coughing. Nothing Calpol couldn't handle. They still ran around full of beans.

The adults were more badly affected but none of us have needed hospitalisation. My husband and I are mid 30s with no major health issues and at no point was it worse than flu but it dragged on so long!

We were sick on and off for 3 months. We'd feel better for a couple of days then develop another sore throat and need to sleep all day. We were so tired and run down. It's been very hard working from home and looking after a 1 year old and 3 year old. I only took 3 days off sick in total. I felt really shit but not bad enough to be in bed so felt guilty about taking more time off.

I think we're over it now and I just hope there's no long term damage to our bodies.

So glad you are over it and all of you recovered. How scary especially about your MIL. Thank goodness you are through the worst of it! And hopefully no long term damage.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting, and alternately encouraging and sad, to see these stories. I wanted to share that I tested positive on March 26; my husband had symptoms starting 5 days after mine but didn't get tested, though I'm confident he had Covid. I'm a nurse so qualified for testing at that time. I was off work for 5 weeks, and had a low-grade fever for 7 weeks total. Our cases were, I'd say, on the mild end of moderate...and I am grateful! It's frightening how unpredictable the virus is. Fever, cough, fatigue, GI issues were some of the things we experienced. I lost my taste/smell the day before I was tested, and I'd say they're only about 50% back. Hoping that will continue to improve!

Best wishes for continued recovery and also thank you for all you do. Being a nurse is one of the hardest professions and you guys rock. Hoping the rest of your recovery goes well!

Q

Queenie60

I'm sorry for the loss of Gabby. She was a truly wonderful person. @Asscherhalo_lover - I hope you can feel better soon and relax and enjoy your pregnancy. Take care:wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results