Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_1009.PNG

Any chemists here to verify?

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In your last pics the prongs look white but the diamond is definitely brown. I hope we find out what the cause is. And for what it's worth- I also do not like very small diamonds because even a touch leaves them dirty and lacking sparkle.

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
WHAT!? What was the outcome of that??
They replaced it with a comparable stone and setting. They had previously done an appraisal of the ring, so they knew what they had lost. The replacement diamond is supposedly a H&A cut, but it doesn't have the sparkle and fire that my other diamond had. The other diamond was an upgrade that I got when married to my ex. I didn't wear it for a long time because I'd remarried. Then I had the great idea of resetting it into a RHR, so I bought a used setting from someone here. Losing it didn't upset me too terribly much as long as the jewelry store replaced it (win-win situation). They gave me a setting that was as good or better than the one they lost, although the original solitaire setting wasn't replaced.

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
In your last pics the prongs look white but the diamond is definitely brown. I hope we find out what the cause is. And for what it's worth- I also do not like very small diamonds because even a touch leaves them dirty and lacking sparkle.
I think your setting was the one I bought for my 1.5 diamond reset. I still have the three stone band but haven't set anything in it yet.

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
I wonder if something (e.g. chemical) could have hit the YG and caused (what I think is) the ‘stain’ in the area of & under that diamond ... think a liquid running down into & under the setting for that diamond. Could be, you washed your hands after it happened and didn't realize it & that one spot just didn't get cleaned as well to remove 'whatever'. I am just hypothesizing ... either way, I believe it will require the diamond being removed & examined to tell for sure.
Generally, I remove the ring and hold it in my teeth while I wash my hands. I'm old and occasionally have a lapse (hence the reason I hold it between my teeth) and forget to remove it from my finger before getting my hands wet to wash them, but that's rare because I rarely even wear the ring. I only wear it on special occasions.

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:confused2:I'd be going nuts trying to figure this out. Have you tried rubbing it with a little acetone on a q-tip?

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
Ok so the reason I (and presumably everyone else) asked if it was clean was because diamonds aren’t terribly reactive towards things. In fact, from a chemistry perspective we have to trick carbon in to reacting if it already has all of its bonds and spoiler alert it usually does. You kind of have to trick it in to not having the bonds in the first place. It’s a very special element and the reason we all can exist. [I’m not ilovecarbon because of diamonds, but because of organic chemistry]
I'm a med tech in a hospital lab, so I had to take organic too, albeit back in the early '70s.

There is an idea in science that usually the simplest answer is the correct one, meaning the one that makes the fewest assumptions is usually the correct answer. So in all likelihood there are 3 possibilities: A) your diamond has something persnickety on it B) the metal underneath your diamond has reacted or C) that’s not a diamond. A and B are the most likely. C would be weird considering you purchased it from a very reputable establishment.
In medicine they say, "If you hear hoofbeats, it's probably horses and not zebras," or something like that.

I assure you, I wasn’t trying to be obnoxious when I asked if it was clean, it’s just the most likely problem, especially if the substance leaked below the diamond itself.
That's the thing. Yes, it's most likely a foreign substance that became deposited beneath one diamond in a melee and turned the stone amber. But just how likely is that to happen?? Probably as likely as having a diamond change colors. ha! I will get to the bottom of this if it's the last thing I do!!

Edit: grammar and clarity => wine ya’ll
I love wine. My daughter is an assistant winemaker at Aubert Winery in the Napa Valley. Visiting her is so much fun!!

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
:confused2:I'd be going nuts trying to figure this out. Have you tried rubbing it with a little acetone on a q-tip?
No, I'm afraid to do that. I think I'll just let the jeweler remove it and solve the mystery once and for all.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Random thought... but it couldn't have become irradiated, could it?

(Seems unlikely!)

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you tried nail polish remover on a q-tip? That would be my recommendation.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you tried nail polish remover on a q-tip? That would be my recommendation.

Did these other spilled over parts come out? It sounds like it from what you describe.
As long as this is not vintage and does not contain copper in the allloy..acetone is a good idea. Its a good organic solvent. You might first try rubbing alcohol (soak). If its still brown, then clean with water and try acetone.

Can't wait to hear what the jeweler finds under high power microscope. But, a simple acid bath might be just the trick and was often my grandmother's tool for such stubborn stuff.

I would recommend you just leave the ring on during handwashing (but not during use of hand sanitizer). Then, dry the ring. I slightly push my rings up and then dry underneath them. I'd worry that if you drop the ring from the height of your mouth, you could increase the risk of chipping that gorgeous sapphire.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Generally, I remove the ring and hold it in my teeth while I wash my hands. I'm old and occasionally have a lapse (hence the reason I hold it between my teeth) and forget to remove it from my finger before getting my hands wet to wash them, but that's rare because I rarely even wear the ring. I only wear it on special occasions.

I screwed a small cup hook on the cabinets next to my bathroom and kitchen sink. I put my rings there when I wash my hands or rinse a dish. They keep my rings safe and are very convenient.

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
I screwed a small cup hook on the cabinets next to my bathroom and kitchen sink. I put my rings there when I wash my hands or rinse a dish. They keep my rings safe and are very convenient.
The ring-in-the-teeth trick is only done #1 when I'm wearing it (rarely) and #2 must use a public restroom. My rings come off as soon as I get home. They go immediately into a jewelry tray or into their secret hiding place. The ONLY thing I wear at home is an 18k WG wedding band.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Do you think it could be rust?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you think it could be rust?
Do you mean could a flake of rust have gotten under the stone or that this ring is rusting? If the latter, only iron and steel can "rust." All precious metals can corrode from a bunch of chemicals in sufficient quantity and exposure -- though its not called rust. Rust is a special term used only for alloys that contain iron.

Your welcome from a pedantic scientist. :cool2:
{forgive me...its been a long week already}

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@indigoblue your ring is beautiful! The setting is so strikingly complimenary to your sapphire. Whatever is causing this melee’s discoloration I hope is rectified by your jeweler. Good luck.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Do you mean could a flake of rust have gotten under the stone or that this ring is rusting? If the latter, only iron and steel can "rust." All precious metals can corrode from a bunch of chemicals in sufficient quantity and exposure -- though its not called rust. Rust is a special term used only for alloys that contain iron.

Your welcome from a pedantic scientist. :cool2:
{forgive me...its been a long week already}

That’s fine. Not a problem, you’re welcome.
So could this be corrosion?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
To answer the question in the headline, no, diamonds do not turn brown. This is a cleaning task. Sometimes that can be difficult and, as mentioned several times above, sapphires can be slightly persnickety with the most aggressive cleaning methods, like fire and certain strong acids. Show it to a pro. This isn't that hard but it does require a bit of attention to avoid damaging either the sapphire or yourself.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This mystery is so intriguing! Seems only way is for jeweller to remove the orange diamond and clean underneath. Please keep us updated coz I’m keen to know what the results are...:think:

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you're a medic, iodine for sterilisation? I got orange discolouration to my YG wedding ring after an repeated iodine prep.

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
If you're a medic, iodine for sterilisation? I got orange discolouration to my YG wedding ring after an repeated iodine prep.
I don't wear this ring to work. The last time I wore it was to my 50 year high school reunion two months ago.

And I even got the nerve to try cleaning it with acetone, but it didn't help.

My jeweler removed the diamond and said that there was some gunk on it and under it. He has thoroughly cleaned everything, and I'll pick it up tomorrow.

Thanks for all of your suggestions and comments. It was indeed some gunk under one teeny tiny diamond melee. How it got there, I'll never know.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's great that you have finally found out the cause. It is a truly beautiful ring and needs to be worn and enjoyed!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Pleased this has been resolved for you - hope you find yourself reaching for it more often.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad the issue has been resolved! :appl: I hope you find yourself wearing it more often, it is a really beautiful ring.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The best possible news! Yay.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad to hear you have some resolution & peace of mind. Hopefully you come back with pictures of it all gussied up after you pick it up! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results