carat
color
clarity

DK CAD assistance needed!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ctd.

Perhaps I should explain what I mean by a 'different construction' of the setting, with a relatively light shank ...

Your marquise is large, but not THAT large ... WWW For that ENORMOUS sapphire & its relatively small, but still 1 cts each (guesstimate) sides, there was no way to make the shank of the ring proportional, so a relatively narrow shank meets the sides up there, where they ended up hung at a reasonable angle from the sapphire's girdle. What was done once, can be done again ...

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol well I can't tell you how to feel about that :lol:

Did you show him what finish product you're after? Like the other finished ring pics here?

Were you going to use the melee from the old setting to make a page band to wear with this?

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ctd.

Perhaps I should explain what I mean by a 'different construction' of the setting, with a relatively light shank ...

Your marquise is large, but not THAT large ... WWW For that ENORMOUS sapphire & its relatively small, but still 1 cts each (guesstimate) sides, there was no way to make the shank of the ring proportional, so a relatively narrow shank meets the sides up there, where they ended up hung at a reasonable angle from the sapphire's girdle. What was done once, can be done again ...

Yes, I see what you mean. LM also has this ring that looks great with traps, I like how this tapers to them.
r7200-1-0831 5wy.jpg

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lol well I can't tell you how to feel about that :lol:

Did you show him what finish product you're after? Like the other finished ring pics here?

Were you going to use the melee from the old setting to make a page band to wear with this?

Yes, that was the plan but depending on how much colorless stones would be I might have to hold off on it.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The most classical Winston design, of course ... =)2

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, that was the plan but depending on how much colorless stones would be I might have to hold off on it.
I would hope smaller higher colored stones would work out to around the same price.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Also to his point, I wouldn't exactly cup it, but I'd send him that mq profile I posted a bit back- ask if he can make the bar a bit thick to cup it a little without making a full cup. Tell him you'd like to accentuate the color while still keeping it open so it can be cleaned.

I just tried to find the photo you were referring to but I think it got over looked, can you post it again?

ratatat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Sorry to say this but I LOVE the white side stones!!! Love the contrast. I think I prefer the shape of the old stones though. Colourless + old shape = :love:

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry to say this but I LOVE the white side stones!!! Love the contrast. I think I prefer the shape of the old stones though. Colourless + old shape = :love:

I asked if he could find some colorless bullets and another set of larger traps. The one thing I didn’t like about the warm shields is they didn’t appear to be step cut enough (they looked like a modified cut)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I like the traps better than the shields and I like bringing out the color difference (with whiter traps). Adding step cuts and whiter color seems
more interesting too me and seems to make the marquise "pop". Slightly bigger traps would be nicer.

Of course thats my opinion and you have to decide what you like.

ratatat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think slightly bigger white traps would look great

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’ve had my husband, sister in law, and my best friend all say they dislike the white stones. I think the size of the random pair is throwing people off. Expect for my husband, he thinks the contrast is a fad that will fade in 5 years. He wants a more classic look but I don’t think he understands this isn’t a trendy look. When I went to no less than 7 jewelers yesterday (at the mall) no one had this look, not even with a topaz.

I am excited to see what David can come up with but I do hate being so indecisive

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve had my husband, sister in law, and my best friend all say they dislike the white stones. I think the size of the random pair is throwing people off. Expect for my husband, he thinks the contrast is a fad that will fade in 5 years. He wants a more classic look but I don’t think he understands this isn’t a trendy look. When I went to no less than 7 jewelers yesterday (at the mall) no one had this look, not even with a topaz.

I am excited to see what David can come up with but I do hate being so indecisive

I'm unsure what he thinks is a fad as colored center stone with white side stones is like, the quintessential way to set a colored gemstone. But that's neither here nor there. I'm glad it sounds like you are finally in a direction you feel certain about.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm unsure what he thinks is a fad as colored center stone with white side stones is like, the quintessential way to set a colored gemstone. But that's neither here nor there. I'm glad it sounds like you are finally in a direction you feel certain about.

I still don’t feel sure since they are so very different, it will just depend on the stones offered. Once it looks right no matter the color of then then that’s it! It is fun to hunt for the right pair but it is difficult to choose

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium

A lot of cooks in the kitchen, you poor thing! For old cut lovers, you have a stunning antique that we would adore to look at every day. We want her on a pedestal to shine and show her gorgeous color and shape. To celebrate her history and presence. This way of setting is absolutely accurate and not a fade -- jewelers have been mixing metals since they first figured out how to do so. Asian countries have been more consistent in their use of high carat yellow gold and nothing else, but not so in most of the world.

When he says "classic" -- what does that mean to him? Does he mean familiar or perhaps he is uncomfortable with the center being yellow (as he perceives it being less valuable)? Is he a guy that tends to wear low-contrast outfits? What do the important women in his life wear for jewellery? Do you only wear white metal (or are moving in that direction) and he fears you will tire of the colors? Maybe a bit more thought about him and her perception and then conversation will help.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A lot of cooks in the kitchen, you poor thing! For old cut lovers, you have a stunning antique that we would adore to look at every day. We want her on a pedestal to shine and show her gorgeous color and shape. To celebrate her history and presence. This way of setting is absolutely accurate and not a fade -- jewelers have been mixing metals since they first figured out how to do so. Asian countries have been more consistent in their use of high carat yellow gold and nothing else, but not so in most of the world.

When he says "classic" -- what does that mean to him? Does he mean familiar or perhaps he is uncomfortable with the center being yellow (as he perceives it being less valuable)? Is he a guy that tends to wear low-contrast outfits? What do the important women in his life wear for jewellery? Do you only wear white metal (or are moving in that direction) and he fears you will tire of the colors? Maybe a bit more thought about him and her perception and then conversation will help.

Hubby actually wishes the ring was less valuable! For him it is a big gaudy thing that he wishes I wouldn't wear because for him it seems pretentious (we live in Dallas where people tend to live above their means) but it is funny because when I met him he was in the process of buying a really nice modern condo and he drives a convertible (he is a redhead) so I told him he had already bought into that flashy lifestyle lol

For him classic would be an unadorned 1 carat solitaire. His mother loved big jewels and ostentatious decor so he likes to be a bit more subtle, that is why I worry that so far it might be a bit much for him. This ring is something that I know he would never let me buy no matter how much I loved it so to have inherited it is exciting because this is something that I had not dreamed of owning. His father loved him mother very much and did not deny her anything, the marquise has a sweet history that I wish he would see instead of focusing on the size. Its not about the big rock, I love jewelry that has a history and when you know it was given out of so much love it just makes it that much sweeter to own. His mother passed when her cancer came back the second time and her body just wasn't up to fight it again, his father was and still is devastated from her passing even after 9 years.

I want to make him happy with nothing "overly" flashy but I want to also be happy with design since I am paying for it and wearing it. DH knows that our taste in things clash at times and even admits that I have better taste than he does lol

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are baguettes too boring? I know you'd considered them before, and they are step cuts, and result availa In higher colors. I can't even Why you got off them...

naivemelody

Rough_Rock
Aw sorry for all the confusion! But I think you'll be glad you considered all the options.

I partly agree with your family, I liked where this was going with the latest CAD and L sides. Those white traps look wrong to me in size and shape... and to me this link is the perfect example of an undesirable "almost but not quite" color contrast/match.

But! I do agree that the right white sides could really look crisp and classic, bc so far it looks like your center is yellow enough to make the contrast work. My hunch is that some substantial colorless baguettes could be a winner.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IHMO, this must be meant for you to see: WWW [ ... I am feeling 'watched' ! ]

Your marquise is clearly further away from oval, if comparable. [If the next instagram shows the moval between sides, I'll ask for an official tag, KWIM ?]

Why do I even mention ...

I feel that the white baguettes do not plug into the bow-tie region of your marquise as nicely as the colored sides did: the white emphasize the discontinuity of colour & play of light, the yellows smooth over. They might not have been a spectacular fit, so I am not going to vote for them. As things are today, unconventional diamond cut models, sides & accent diamonds cut for specific settings are quite an achievment ... obvioulsy not that many ways to get them; you happened to start with a distinctive large diamond, for better or worse.

2c

___
Caught myself thinking: putting together a nice RBC & sides - for all that it takes, is straight-up instant gratification compared to this project !

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here are the options he send me tonight...I believe I was confused when wanting certain cuts that they would be step cuts but the are brilliant cuts in the shapes I requested. The Marquise is graded as a brilliant cut and I read that usually you pair brilliant with brilliant and step with step, unfortunately I thought these cuts were all step cuts but I am now learning that's not true. I would like step cut but if it will look funky with a brilliant feature stone then I will concede and do a step cut for the next project. Hubby is also now not wanting to be involved because he knows I'm just going to do what I want anyways.

Here are the two warmer colored options..out of the two I like the trap shape better and I think the brilliant cut pairs very well in this color with center

IMG_0461.JPG

Here are the trap colorless verses the warm...to me the warms look better cut wise. The colorless on the right hand side just looks off in all the photos he sent

IMG_0462.JPG

The shields colorless vs warm...I like the colorless better than the warm out of this pairing. But I feel like the trap shape is a better choice

IMG_0463.JPG

Lastly step cut trap vs brilliant cut trap...I really like how the step cut look but I would prefer larger size. Going step cut gives an Art Deco vibe which is interesting but I don't want to get tired of. I know it's not for everyone and I don't own anything Art Deco so this does worry me a bit.

IMG_0464.JPG

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Bumping

The more at look at the photos the less I like the white traps, they just don’t appear to be cut ask well as the warm O-P ones. The white shields are still really nice but I do wish to see some step cuts

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, DK is great for doing this for you but also,

I like the cut and shape of the colorless shields and the step cut small traps. I hear what you're staying about the step cut with brilliant cut but those traps are so small I like them with your stone.

However if I'm picking one I like the shields. It takes everything I didn't like about the old shields and fixed it. They are a bit thinner, look a bit smaller, and definitely whiter. I think they are well cut for side (extra) fancy shapes so I don't think there's a problem there.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also could get behind the brilliant traps, as I get what your concerns are about the step cut ones. But if I got one vote it's those colorless shields.

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the contrast and size of the small white step cut traps....but then I have step cut sides on my ER! I just love your marquis and I am sure whichever way you go it will be lovely!:love:

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I also could get behind the brilliant traps, as I get what your concerns are about the step cut ones. But if I got one vote it's those colorless shields.

What did you think about the O/P taps vs the Ds? I felt like the Os appear to be a much nicer brilliant cut....the new shields are half the size of the old ones and they look really good.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What did you think about the O/P taps vs the Ds? I felt like the Os appear to be a much nicer brilliant cut....the new shields are half the size of the old ones and they look really good.
The o/p traps gave me no feelings at all, really. They didn't excite me but I'm not turned off by them. Makes sense gay those shields are half the size, they look more proportional

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm still liking the colorless brilliant traps. The whiter side stones play up the color of your marquise. The shields are ok to me. Don't dislike then. I'm against baguettes. I used to have them in a three stone and they are just kind of boring. Besides, I think yours would need to be fairly long to give you the right width and I'm not sure if you have the real estate for them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results