color
clarity

DK CAD assistance needed!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

N colour side(s) ?

WWW (nb. the 'Boutique' just opened)

I am not sure what to think of the shape - if it works, it would be a surprising(good) look, I think

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

N colour side(s) ?

WWW (nb. the 'Boutique' just opened)

I am not sure what to think of the shape - if it works, it would be a surprising(good) look, I think

That look would be similar to Victor Canera’s Sophia ring

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
David emailed me on Thursday saying he had not found any steps that he liked but he has a new shipment coming in yesterday so I’m thinking I won’t get update until next week

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay glad he got a new shipment I'm on pins and needles as to what you'll pick

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That look would be similar to Victor Canera’s Sophia ring

The sets of diamonds set in the 'Sophia' are also 'French Cut' - squares (like that one listed) & two or four trapezoids toward the center stone ...

I imagine that French traps would marry your marquise happily. Squares - would depend on proportions ...

2c

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m a little disappointed by the color of the step traps he submitted for review. I asked for a better photo since they appear to be very warm and he said they are an I. The size of the traps is great but it is hard to tell if they are a good fit. It is narrowed down to these two pairs.

CA7F54F0-90C1-4BD0-9693-CBE03221306E.jpeg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the shields.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that whichever side stones you choose, your ring will be gorgeous. But if I am to give my feedback, the small white trapezoids are still my favorite. To me, they seem to provide a nice color contrast and a very classic look, while still letting your center be the star. Considering your small ring size, I think that the shields will stretch too far horizontally, even if angled. In my view, they also seem to compete with the center. Perhaps if slightly "tucked under" and angled at 30-40 degrees, they can be a nice match. The larger trapz seem a bit larger than needed, I think. The color contrast is also not as noticeable, at least in that pic.

My favorite:
IMG_7469.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[the previous post should self-destruct]

I always go for step cuts.

The colours seem to have been altered heavily in the photos - judging by how different the marquise looks.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that whichever side stones you choose, your ring will be gorgeous. But if I am to give my feedback, the small white trapezoids are still my favorite. To me, they seem to provide a nice color contrast and a very classic look, while still letting your center be the star. Considering your small ring size, I think that the shields will stretch too far horizontally, even if angled. In my view, they also seem to compete with the center. Perhaps if slightly "tucked under" and angled at 30-40 degrees, they can be a nice match. The larger trapz seem a bit larger than needed, I think. The color contrast is also not as noticeable, at least in that pic.

My favorite:
IMG_7469.JPG

I do sill like those if they are on the table. Otherwise shields of the two left hands down.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to agree with the others who voted for white "traps" and "shields"... :)

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd say the little traps do nothing for me, but I'm hoping he'll send you another pair of pics where the colors aren't wacky ; - )

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
[the previous post should self-destruct]

I always go for step cuts.

The colours seem to have been altered heavily in the photos - judging by how different the marquise looks.

I agree! That is why I asked for both the new step traps and the shields to be sent using the same camera and background because there just isn't any way to compare them as is

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

My favorite:
IMG_7469.JPG

I should ask him how large these are, the new traps are .65 carats total. I am thinking I just need to call him so we can get it worked out

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I do sill like those if they are on the table. Otherwise shields of the two left hands down.

This was the look I was hoping for but just a tad larger, the ones he suggested seem so much bigger but he did say they had a large spread for the carat weight.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I should ask him how large these are, the new traps are .65 carats total. I am thinking I just need to call him so we can get it worked out

Size of new traps (.65) are good. Color needs to look whiter than the photo provided. I strongly prefer a whiter color than what is currently depicted. I wouldn’t compromise. Ask him for another photo and if it’s not white enough, wait for another (.65 whiter pair). Personally, I’d go whiter than I.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Size of new traps (.65) are good. Color needs to look whiter than the photo provided. I strongly prefer a whiter color than what is currently depicted. I wouldn’t compromise. Ask him for another photo and if it’s not white enough, wait for another (.65 whiter pair). Personally, I’d go whiter than I.

Unfortunately I did tell him that near colorless would be fine but I agree, this are not white enough based on the photo provided. I am still waiting on better photos and I did tell him that I had wanted a white pair if the I’s were too tinted.

I do so want the step cut traps to work but the shields are a nice pair as well

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I also think the smaller size traps are pretty too. (I agree with SimoneD). The whiter color for contrast and the smaller scale sides look very elegant.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
F40A35D7-D33E-4326-8070-8E789626298B.jpeg

Well they are whiter than originally thought, the smaller taps photo do seem to have been more concentrated in color. I showed my husband since he REALLY did not like the white color contrast and he was no help!

I think the lighting is playing against the comparison with the shields, he did not send another photo of them using the same lighting so it is hard to tell. I am a little disappointed since I asked for another photo using the same lighting and being hand modeled.

AE2B6F3D-60DD-4B7D-BEC8-62C8FBEDBFB8.jpeg

Going to sleep on it but the choices are definitely narrowed down between these two

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the traps may end up being more comfortable and may allow for a thinner shank which I know you're after.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think the traps may end up being more comfortable and may allow for a thinner shank which I know you're after.

That is exactly what I have been thinking as well, also since they are not stark white I think my husband will be happier with them.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’ve committed to the I colored trapezoids and I am seeing if he can do a partial 18k yg cup or at least one that has two small openings on the sides with a brushed look on the exterior backing. I am not big on heavy engraving so I think the brushed look will work well with the simple ring design. I also asked if he can add very very tiny milgrain work along the edge of the cup bezel.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too late for me to throw in my 2 cents but I’m glad you went with the traps, that would be my choice too - the color and shape complement your diamond so well! this ring is going to be beautiful, can’t wait to see it!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... since they are not stark white I think my husband will be happier with them.

There are always Deep Yellow sides, KWIM ? WWW

Half joking

a partial 18k yg cup or at least one that has two small openings on the sides

Are the openings meant only to keep the traps from becomming tinged with YG reflections ?

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Half joking

Are the openings meant only to keep the traps from becomming tinged with YG reflections ?

The openings are meant for cleaning but that is something I haven't considered.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now I remember that you wanted the culet of the marquise backed ! ... so the backing must open elsewhere. Ha ! I might wonder if having a gold surface (rather than the usual 'donut') under the marq would be enough to 'close' the culet.

Other YG backing for colour could be done as usual.

The sides will be seated in white metal frames anyway. I do not know if it is even necessary to adjust the shape & size of these seats so as to keep the traps on a white backing only - perhaps worth asking.

Just a thought

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Half joking

Lol let the poor girl have her decision made! She doesn't need more options :lol:

Correct me if I am wrong op but I believe the open areas are to allow for dirt and grime to escape when cleaning.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Niel

I was more than half joking. Deep & missmatched colour sides ! Who else might take the possibility seriously ...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results