shape
carat
color
clarity

DK CAD assistance needed!

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here is the new CAD with the cup; I asked for no embellishment or engraving on it, instead it will be a brushed gold finish.

40575_QUAD.JPG

I am not sure the cup needs to be "protected" so it doesn't dent? Similar to this

IMG_0033.jpg

I asked for a fake bezel look with milgrain along the edge, I can not tell if that has been incorporated so I will have to ask.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No I do not think you need to protect the gold from getting dented.

I like it the way it is I don't think a fake bezel will make the center stone look better. I like t the way it is, in terms of the cup placement.

I don't think this needs melee. I think you agree based on what you said but I'm not sure.

In the top left photo, I don't like that I can see the metal bars keeping the traps in place - I don't like that I can see them sticking out of the sides of the marquise. I want them tucked in more. I'm attaching a cad he did for me, I would show him this and see if he can't adapt the area where the traps meet the marquise side better. I'm still incined to use prongs and get rid of that bar as to not have it sticking out the sides.

75D67369-83D6-4BCE-87C5-5F1F969857B2-3403-000005E5E86B58D7.jpeg

I'd ask if he could take the shank down to 2.3 or 2.4. I would t go thinner, as 2.3 is the width of the traps.... probably say 2.4 so it doesn't look too thin.

But this cad is finally giving me feels. The other wines were not. This is going to be fantastic.

Last edited:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_1282.JPG

Also a remember Of wear you started. 1000% better I'm so happy you're in the final stretch.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No I do not think you need to protect the gold from getting dented.

I like it the way it is I don't think a fake bezel will make the center stone look better. I like t the way it is, in terms of the cup placement.

I don't think this needs melee. I think you agree based on what you said but I'm not sure.

In the top left photo, I don't like that I can see the metal bars keeping the traps in place - I don't like that I can see them sticking out of the sides of the marquise. I want them tucked in more. I'm attaching a cad he did for me, I would show him this and see if he can't adapt the area where the traps meet the marquise side better. I'm still incined to use prongs and get rid of that bar as to not have it sticking out the sides.

75D67369-83D6-4BCE-87C5-5F1F969857B2-3403-000005E5E86B58D7.jpeg

I'd ask if he could take the shank down to 2.3 or 2.4. I would t go thinner, as 2.3 is the width of the traps.... probably say 2.4 so it doesn't look too thin.

But this cad is finally giving me feels. The other wines were not. This is going to be fantastic.

I have asked him twice now to thin it down to 2.3mm or as close to 2mm as he could get it, I will ask again. I am wondering if the 6 prongs should be platinum instead of 14k yellow gold...I'm thinking thay shouldn't affect the color much considering the cup is now in place.

As far as the side stones, this is how I wished for it to look; I found this look more appearing than the small prongs. I will think about it some more and review the first CAD since it had prongs.

I really want some profile bling, the melee is something I don't want to replace. This is something I know I've wanted from the start. I would be open to other suggestions to make it more appealing but I don't want to fully nix it.

Attachments

• IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 14

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The marquise prongs in my opinion should stay yellow the point is to blend in to the stone not stand out. The melee seems to lack an editing eye as it's just randomly placed on the side of the donut. Before t was in the bar across the basket that made sense but now it's just a line of diamonds placed arbitrarily across the side of a cup. I hear what you're saying you want to add pave to this ring. I just don't see the point of the current placement. If you need pave in the profile somewhere I'd do it in the donut. I hate donut pave as it eats away at bands but at least it has a natural place to go down there.

1509505684788.jpeg

You want to be able to see metal sticking out the side from the top view? I assume you mean you want that bar there to reduce prongs. That's fine. Don't put prongs. But I think you would want to reduce the amount of overhanging metal, which seems abundant in these cads.

1509505653429.jpeg

2mm would be too small a shank as the traps are wider than that at their smallest end. Ask him upfront "can the shank be taken down to 2.4 or is 2.6 as thin as you can make it? If 2.6 is its thinnest, can it be tapered a bit?"

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The marquise prongs in my opinion should stay yellow the point is to blend in to the stone not stand out. The melee seems to lack an editing eye as it's just randomly placed on the side of the donut. Before t was in the bar across the basket that made sense but now it's just a line of diamonds placed arbitrarily across the side of a cup. I hear what you're saying you want to add pave to this ring. I just don't see the point of the current placement. If you need pave in the profile somewhere I'd do it in the donut. I hate donut pave as it eats away at bands but at least it has a natural place to go down there.

1509505684788.jpeg

You want to be able to see metal sticking out the side from the top view? I assume you mean you want that bar there to reduce prongs. That's fine. Don't put prongs. But I think you would want to reduce the amount of overhanging metal, which seems abundant in these cads.

1509505653429.jpeg

2mm would be too small a shank as the traps are wider than that at their smallest end. Ask him upfront "can the shank be taken down to 2.4 or is 2.6 as thin as you can make it? If 2.6 is its thinnest, can it be tapered a bit?"

I see what you mean about the top view! Thank you, you have been a tremendous help in this project

I sent him some revisions for it. I am still thinking on the melee... :(

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want pave you do pave girl you only live once!

Using your melee to make a band wouldn't be sufficient pave I take it?

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you want pave you do pave girl you only live once!

Using your melee to make a band wouldn't be sufficient pave I take it?

I think the melee we own are rather large for pave, I was thinking of doing a graduating shared prong look. Since the ering has a donut I think it would have to be a curved banded, I am still thinking on it.

EDIT: There are 3 things that can be done with the melee on the cup; leave/keep, bling the entire cup, or pave the V tip prongs as well...that is why I am still thinking on it

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pave the prongs? Not my jam. Pave the whole cup? I'm not against that.

I know your melee is large my point is making a band would give you that pop of glittery sparkles.

I'm a gap girl. I love a gap between the band and the e ring far more than making a band curved. As you can't wear that band solo. But it's an aesthetic thing.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
He is going to cast the mold!

Pave the prongs? Not my jam. Pave the whole cup? I'm not against that.

I know your melee is large my point is making a band would give you that pop of glittery sparkles.

I'm a gap girl. I love a gap between the band and the e ring far more than making a band curved. As you can't wear that band solo. But it's an aesthetic thing.

I agree about the curved band, that is why I have been on the fence about it. I do like to wear my band separate sometimes as well.

As far as the studded prongs, that was just one idea just to help mesh everything, completely bling out the cup seems like a bit much...I asked him if we could do a line of milgran just under the melee to match the rim of the cup, I think this will help anchor the melee to the cup.

He is going to do two small claw prong for the traps instead of the bar since it seems like he couldn't slim it down enough to not make it visible.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I gave the go ahead to cast the mold!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Had no idea these colours are such a CHORE to get together: WWW

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
2BEEF850-A5E6-48F2-9955-AF2492BDC74F.png

Right! This one is amazing but took a year to plan, design, and source as well. Crazy how much long getting it perfect can take

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps ... but, the diamond is such a beauty ! My breed of step cut too.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
2BEEF850-A5E6-48F2-9955-AF2492BDC74F.png

Right! This one is amazing but took a year to plan, design, and source as well. Crazy how much long getting it perfect can take

OMG. I'm DYING having to wait two weeks for my ring, LOL. Who the heck can wait a year???

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To die for! what is sad, some people wont like it because its not white. I think the color is to die for
That is lovely! I love when a setting and a stone just seem perfect for each other. :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a little late, but I am not totally understanding the cup. Are you going to have enough access for a brush to reach the pavilion of the stone to clean it? I'd highly advise not doing a cup that will make cleaning impossible. Hopefully someone else addressed this before this page. I didn't read backwards.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a little late, but I am not totally understanding the cup. Are you going to have enough access for a brush to reach the pavilion of the stone to clean it? I'd highly advise not doing a cup that will make cleaning impossible. Hopefully someone else addressed this before this page. I didn't read backwards.

I don't know what's not to understand about the cup. Yes it's been discussed she needs an area for a steamer or an ultrasonic to be able to get into and grime to get out.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

The cup is suppose to have either a hole on the side or the bottom for cleaning, I do have an ultra sonic cleaner but I have read that after cleaning you can also dip it in alcohol to help evaporate the water (I only read this once so I'm not sure how well it would work) I thought that a little interdental brush could work if the hole is big enough.

I did post about the cup in a separate thread, a couple if tradesmen/artist agreed that the cup could work very well with my stone since I want to have the cutlet/keel line minimized.

:) once the mold is cast and received then I will have a better understanding of the design as a whole

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The light yellow step cut makes it quite clear what could be a second option for my ring. Good to see !

[I haven't said much about your setting because @Niel keeps reading my mind ... ]

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have been thinking about the round melee on the cup, I was wondering if instead of round stones doing small marquise or baguettes? After seeing small marquise eternity bands it got me thinking about it.

IMG_0047.PNG

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been thinking about the round melee on the cup, I was wondering if instead of round stones doing small marquise or baguettes? After seeing small marquise eternity bands it got me thinking about it.

IMG_0047.PNG [/QUOTE
Your design is going to be stunning. Step away from instagram and pintetest....:lol::mrgreen2:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I worry you've been too deep into the design and you're overthinking it. I'll tell you what tim gunn says.

“I have this refrain about the monkey house at the zoo. When you first enter into the monkey house at the zoo, you think, ‘Oh my god this place stinks!’ And then after you’re there for 20 minutes you think, ‘it’s not so bad’ and after you’re there for an hour it doesn’t smell at all. And anyone entering the monkey house freshly thinks, ‘this stinks!’ You've been living in the monkey house.”

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results