DK CAD assistance needed!

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think once I see the mold, I will be able to rein myself in lol

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I emailed DK to start on the second ring, I decided on a full eternity band. Having 26 extra stones I figured why not just do a full one lol

47B9681C-CBA2-4BF3-8E74-6F6C1F104D2F.jpeg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love this idea!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice band setting ! I might be the last on Earth to find out about it ...

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yay! The mold is being delivered tomorrow...it’s hard waiting lol

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel has made some excellent points and I think has headed you in the right direction. If you are going to keep the melee on the side
of the cup you might consider having DK put some kind of line in the metal or bumped out milgrain to look like it is linging the top of the
cup and not just sort of stuck up there...just seems like it needs to be more of a design element which it doesnt seem like at the moment.

This picture shows what I mean by adding a line of milgrain under the pave to look more like a border (of course the milgrain line is vertical in
this example but yours would be horizontal just under the pave). It doesnt have to be milgrain if you dont want to go that direction...it could just
be a small bumped out line of gold.
migrain on cup.PNG

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Niel has made some excellent points and I think has headed you in the right direction. If you are going to keep the melee on the side
of the cup you might consider having DK put some kind of line in the metal or bumped out milgrain to look like it is linging the top of the
cup and not just sort of stuck up there...just seems like it needs to be more of a design element which it doesnt seem like at the moment.

This picture shows what I mean by adding a line of milgrain under the pave to look more like a border (of course the milgrain line is vertical in
this example but yours would be horizontal just under the pave). It doesnt have to be milgrain if you dont want to go that direction...it could just
be a small bumped out line of gold.
migrain on cup.PNG

I have already asked him to do that, he is going to do hand milgrain on the cup edge that if framing the feature stone (kinda like a fake bezel) and milgrain under the cup melee. I didn't share it because I am still not sure if the melee will just be one line or if the entire cup will be studded.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pics of the wax?

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The mold arrived! It is very comfortable and slim (DK told me the ring would be at least 1mm slimmer than the mold)
IMG_0676.jpg

By doing the prong for the side stone he added the extra connection to the base

IMG_0694.jpg
IMG_0696.jpg
IMG_0697.jpg

The only issue I am having is the bridge protrusion, my wedding band is 1mm thick so this makes me think I could never wear the eternity band with my ering, I could get a curved spacer to help keep my wedding band off the bridge but it is disappointing about the eternity band.

IMG_0692.jpg
IMG_0712.jpg
IMG_0713.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0698.jpg
    IMG_0698.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 19

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You've got a big diamond. There was a good chance it would take up too much real estate for a matching band. Up to you how you feel about that. It's going to have to protrude just because you can't make that cup go away.

Otherwise im loving this.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You've got a big diamond. There was a good chance it would take up too much real estate for a matching band. Up to you how you feel about that. It's going to have to protrude just because you can't make that cup go away.

Otherwise im loving this.

Here is a view, the cup does not appear to be the issue; the issue is the donut and the prongs.. I think I'm going to ask him to make the bridge more flush (not sure of how to word it) I know there needs to be some protrusion for the donut and now cup hole. Just not sure how that will also effect the prongs

IMG_0715.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't change anything but you know best what you'll wear and what'll make you happy.

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
Not to get off topic or thread-jack, just trying to learn. But what is a cup?

I'm pretty sure what popped up on Google is not what you're referring to:oops2:

IMG_5110.PNG

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@KKJohnson the mold looks amazing!:love: I am with Neil, I wouldn't change a thing regarding the donut. You can always get a curved band like the ones VC makes which will then allow a straight diamond band to sit flush. I personally am also a fan of a gap between the e-ring and the band, but you will know what works best for you. Your ring is going to be stunning!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not to get off topic or thread-jack, just trying to learn. But what is a cup?

I'm pretty sure what popped up on Google is not what you're referring to:oops2:

IMG_5110.PNG

The metal gold but that "cups" the diamond to help bring out its yellow color.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@KKJohnson the mold looks amazing!:love: I am with Neil, I wouldn't change a thing regarding the donut. You can always get a curved band like the ones VC makes which will then allow a straight diamond band to sit flush. I personally am also a fan of a gap between the e-ring and the band, but you will know what works best for you. Your ring is going to be stunning!!

I just looked at VC notched ring spacer and that could work

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I send him photos of the gap and asked if he could just flatten out the donut a bit to help reduce the large gap, with my short fingers I need ever mm I can get. I left it up to him to figure out the best design for that. I am also going to just leave the one row of melee of the cup...that saying "keep it simple, stupid" keeps popping up in my head and I don't want to continue over thinking this project. That is what happens when you spend 11 months on something, you second guess yourself and think "how can I improve on this" sometimes it's not really am improvement!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the stone will be somewhat protected from getting dirty with the cup, but it is not going to keep it 100% clean. Diamonds occasionally need a brushing of the pavilion to be really clean and look their best, and the hole in that mold isn't large enough to allow brush cleaning of the entire pavilion (the accessibiity was what I was trying to understand with my other post, and now I can see the cup almost covers the entire pavilion). An ultrasonic just won't do it alone. It sounds like this isn't important to anyone but me, but I just thought you should know. Other than that issue, the ring looks great!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never knew if it is technically unavoidable to have the underside of rings mirror the outline of the stones ... @mrs-b 's last choice for a solitaire setting does not have much of anything under the stones - I asume it would let a larger band next to it, but not protect the pavilion of the main diamond from grinding against it ( IF it might !); it is a radical design ...

2c

On the other hand,
Do you need to wear any kind of band next to the MARQUISE ?

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think the stone will be somewhat protected from getting dirty with the cup, but it is not going to keep it 100% clean. Diamonds occasionally need a brushing of the pavilion to be really clean and look their best, and the hole in that mold isn't large enough to allow brush cleaning of the entire pavilion (the accessibiity was what I was trying to understand with my other post, and now I can see the cup almost covers the entire pavilion). An ultrasonic just won't do it alone. It sounds like this isn't important to anyone but me, but I just thought you should know. Other than that issue, the ring looks great!

An interdental brush fits in the hole :) I may be able to clean it that way, just depends on how low the stone sits

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If she could she's can steam the inside of that cup regularly. (I steam mine basically daily) I don't see a need to be able to get a brush head in there

But of course you can always ask him to shave a little more off that bottom bit of the cup.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I never knew if it is technically unavoidable to have the underside of rings mirror the outline of the stones ... @mrs-b 's last choice for a solitaire setting does not have much of anything under the stones - I asume it would let a larger band next to it, but not protect the pavilion of the main diamond from grinding against it ( IF it might !); it is a radical design ...

2c

On the other hand,
Do you need to wear any kind of band next to the MARQUISE ?

No, no one has to technically wear their ering and wedding band but I like wearing both. I’m hoping that he can figure a solution out, the grinding worries me as well but as it was pointed out I could always get a notched ring spacer to avoid that. I think smoothing out the donut will help avoid any issues

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If she could she's can steam the inside of that cup regularly. (I steam mine basically daily) I don't see a need to be able to get a brush head in there

But of course you can always ask him to shave a little more off that bottom bit of the cup.

Our appraiser who happens to also be a recommended PS vendor sells cleaning systems and steamers, I will see about buying one of his

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that hole would have to be a lot bigger for a steamer to make any difference. I just know that one day I was in a nice jewelry store and my ring was kind of dirty and they offered to clean it. They put it in their professional ultrasonic, and it still came back dirty because the pavilion needed to be brushed. And I clean my ring regularly. But if steamers clean diamonds perfectly without having to brush the stone, I'll happily throw out my ultrasonic and buy one!

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think that hole would have to be a lot bigger for a steamer to make any difference. I just know that one day I was in a nice jewelry store and my ring was kind of dirty and they offered to clean it. They put it in their professional ultrasonic, and it still came back dirty because the pavilion needed to be brushed. And I clean my ring regularly. But if steamers clean diamonds perfectly without having to brush the stone, I'll happily throw out my ultrasonic and buy one!

I just contacted Mark Broumand's office over the recommended method for cleaning, they said to use a steamer, soft cloth, and blow dry. The ring could be refinished if the ring got very dirty so that was good to know. Guess I just need to make sure not to dig through dirt while wearing it lol

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's awesome if a steamer will work to clean the pavilion with just a tiny hole in the cup.

"The ring could be refinished if the ring got very dirty.." What???!!!:lol: He must have customers who dig in the dirt with their rings on to make a statement like that! He defintiely isn't in touch with PSer cleaning habits!:lol:

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That's awesome if a steamer will work to clean the pavilion with just a tiny hole in the cup.

"The ring could be refinished if the ring got very dirty.." What???!!!:lol: He must have customers who dig in the dirt with their rings on to make a statement like that! He defintiely isn't in touch with PSer cleaning habits!:lol:

Right! I take my rings off for everything (which I need to learn not to do in public) but it is good to know that steaming is recommended for cleaning. I'm excited! I figured if in a couple of years I didn't like the cup then I could always reset it and upgrade to 5 stones lol

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results