valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
L - L - L ... all white

Link: WWW

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That's certainly understandable to try and avoid looking like the old setting but really it's already going to look nothing like it. And even the Ls contrast a lot in color. I just think if they are going to not match, they should REALLY not match so it seems on purpos Rather than a lack of attention to detail. Imagine wearing a black suit with blue pants.

So what I told David was I was ok with anything in the K color and up, just as long as they were not colorless or face up white. For it to match he would have needed to cut a pair, these will definitely have some contrast but not the same as a white pair would have and that is what I was hoping for. I was pretty flexible in the color because warmer stones are harder to find in warm colors.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You were saying you were going to look for two tone examples. It's harder to find light yellow center stones but here's one
IMG_0292.JPG

Oh I like this look

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So what I told David was I was ok with anything in the K color and up, just as long as they were not colorless or face up white. For it to match he would have needed to cut a pair, these will definitely have some contrast but not the same as a white pair would have and that is what I was hoping for. I was pretty flexible in the color because warmer stones are harder to find in warm colors.
I actually did like the Js shape too. The thinner shields seem to make your marquise look fatter and I liked that. I looove your stone loose there and I think whatever you do will be fab. And always take anyone's advice including mine with a grain of salt because we have ideas on how we would rock that stone. This doesn't mean you have to agree.
i just think that stone is fab and trying to point out its unique color is the way to go, rather than meld it with somewhat lighter stones.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
13FD0062-F35F-4A33-9CD6-1BFAEA86B7C8-8463-00000A7C76873814.jpeg An example of a two tone setting more like what you're after. Here they actually did a cup to accentuate the color. I'd don't die a cup as that can make it difficult to clean but a thicker bridge on the ma can accomplish a similar affect

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's another two-toned option. But, I'm not sure how L colored sides would look in this setting. It seems something like this might suit the J sides better.This is 18k gold which may be a bit too much color for your stone.

upload_2017-9-30_19-35-22.png

upload_2017-9-30_19-35-0.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-30_19-34-22.png
    upload_2017-9-30_19-34-22.png
    602 KB · Views: 14
  • upload_2017-9-30_19-34-43.png
    upload_2017-9-30_19-34-43.png
    444.9 KB · Views: 19

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I actually did like the Js shape too. The thinner shields seem to make your marquise look fatter and I liked that. I looove your stone loose there and I think whatever you do will be fab. And always take anyone's advice including mine with a grain of salt because we have ideas on how we would rock that stone. This doesn't mean you have to agree.
i just think that stone is fab and trying to point out its unique color is the way to go, rather than meld it with somewhat lighter stones.

Both pairs are very nice and I think the Js have more of an elongated shield look and when I asked my husbands opinion, he liked the Ls. It is a hard decision and I do like both...

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I started a poll for the side stones. :P2 Let’s see what happens lol

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here's another two-toned option. But, I'm not sure how L colored sides would look in this setting. It seems something like this might suit the J sides better.This is 18k gold which may be a bit too much color for your stone.

upload_2017-9-30_19-35-22.png

upload_2017-9-30_19-35-0.png
13FD0062-F35F-4A33-9CD6-1BFAEA86B7C8-8463-00000A7C76873814.jpeg An example of a two tone setting more like what you're after. Here they actually did a cup to accentuate the color. I'd don't die a cup as that can make it difficult to clean but a thicker bridge on the ma can accomplish a similar affect

I’ve been thinking about the two tone while my hubby sleeps off his hangover lol and I think this is a nice option for contrast, I think platinum with 14k yellow gold will looks nice, the 14 shouldn’t be bright but is should help the center stone out a little bit.

Last edited:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
14k will be bright yellow. It won't look as "rich" as a higher carat but 14k yellow gold is very yellow. I think that with a plat shank is a great idea. But .....then it's a matter of if you like to see the color of the side stones in platinum, because it'll be very obvious.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
David has emailed me back over the side stones, I had asked what his professional opinion over them was since he was viewing them in person and he said that he believes this are a very good fit for the center stone. He did state that he spend the last week possibly looking for a 3rd option but he was not able to find anything else that he deemed suitable in the step cuts I had requested. Here is a top down photo of the stone with the shields which to me looks really nice.

20171009_104902.jpg

I have been thinking alot how to add color contrast to the setting and the best solution (as it was suggested) with is having the feature stone basket made of yellow gold to help saturate the color and then the rest 18k white gold. Unless I am completely mistaken over how the white gold will affect the side stones, I thought it would help give them a slightly whiter color (I understand not by much but at least a small degree)? Similar to this mixed alloy use.

d6d771c8a6ddf07ecd688d5f7914ef40.jpg

And here is the new CAD, he changed the side stones top prong to a more tension type setting as opposed to claws and removed the diamond bridge. I still want to see if he can get the band width down to 230mm as opposed to 2.60mm but I cant think of anything else (other than the ring size also not being adjusted)...I know the end prongs may look rather large but I did ask for that, I wanted them to look like they were "hugging" the stone. I am not sure if there is a way to give them a more rounded appearance? I think this looks good but if anyone has any more suggestions, I would great appreciate them. Thank you for helping/looking!

40575.png

Next will be to see if he has any suggestion over how to minimize the "Eye of Sauron/Mordor" lol

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you ask David what he thought of using two toned? Did he say when he was looking if he was looking for colorless sidestones or just lore mid range ones?

I like the adjustment to the shields but I wonder if they just aren't all together too large and that's why the shank is so big ? I like the change in pace in the side too. Definitely getting there, I just wonder if you've brought up with him the idea of using whiter sides and doing it two toned or if he's still under the impression you're trying to match them.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is something else - WWW

& another WWW

If you match the sides by color, why add contrast back in via metal color ...

It seems natural to have the ring all dine in one metal or half & half, that is to say, all diamond holding parts in one metal & the shank in another.

___

Then,

for what it doesn't matter, I'd vote Pt for diamond-holding & YG rest - so that the gold picks up the colour of the diamonds & no more; it seems too much to firce the O-P into masquerading straight yellow or straight white. I have not seen this done much in modern rings ... only old Pt & Yg settings with similar diamonds ...

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I asked if he has just a random pair of whiter stones to throw a picture together to review and what his opinion is for mixing the alloys. I am worried that with having colorless side stone with the more yellow tinted marquise might be a bit flashy...I have also not tried on this type of color contrast so I will try and do so to see how I like it.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
colorless side stone with the more yellow tinted marquise might be a bit flashy...

I'd say they that their cut could be too flashy, not the colourlessness. Example:

WWW - L center, F sides - all old style faceting & white metal

___

Re. Flashy-cut cut sides

Perhaps very brilliant & very white sides could look good IHMO, especially if small - perhaps not that much smaller than the shieds. [the proverbial dot on the 'i' - if I make it red, it would still be too small a detail to be 'flashy']

I doubt it would be easy to locate such a finely cut pair - @mrs-b 's pair of pears comes to mind.

_

DBL does have an obvious House Style - setting Light Yellow diamonds (GIA U-V, W-X, Y-Z ...) so as to bring up their colour further toward the FLY end. Only a few rings have ever digressed from this programme ... The ring mentioned above is one such Exception.

2c (Rant !)

Last edited:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the shank is so big because the side stones are so big. Smaller white stones would, I imagine, be a similar cost, allow the shank to be bigger, and not look as "flashy" which I understand you're concerned with. I think huge side stones on a huge diamond is the epitome of flashy regardless of color.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think the shank is so big because the side stones are so big. Smaller white stones would, I imagine, be a similar cost, allow the shank to be bigger, and not look as "flashy" which I understand you're concerned with. I think huge side stones on a huge diamond is the epitome of flashy regardless of color.

:cry2: you are going to make me pull out my hair for planting this seed! I now have no idea what to do after seeing this..like F me this looks really good as well!! I will say I would probably want something larger for the side stones or if doing traps going with two sets on both sides.
20171009_150133.jpg

:confused::confused::confused:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my god I hate to do this to you but I think the colorless stones look amazing. And really the color of the mq pops

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is something else - WWW

& another WWW

If you match the sides by color, why add contrast back in via metal color ...

It seems natural to have the ring all dine in one metal or half & half, that is to say, all diamond holding parts in one metal & the shank in another.

___

Then,

for what it doesn't matter, I'd vote Pt for diamond-holding & YG rest - so that the gold picks up the colour of the diamonds & no more; it seems too much to firce the O-P into masquerading straight yellow or straight white. I have not seen this done much in modern rings ... only old Pt & Yg settings with similar diamonds ...

So I asked him about boosting the color and trying the hide the "Eye" he said he can add a cup to the ring design. I am just not sure how much that would boost it. But I do agree with you over the color not being in a low enough range to pass as a fancy. I just posted a photo of the contrasting white side stones...I am not sure what to do now :wall:

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh my god I hate to do this to you but I think the colorless stones look amazing. And really the color of the mq pops

I know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So my DH is coming home from work and I am going to show him to see what he thinks (not that he would care) and I am going to text my sister in law to get her opinion as well but I am now thinking you are correct.....The damn TRAPEZOID cut also looks stunning next to the marquise which is what he suggested from the very beginning *facepalm*

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And those are just random side stones that were not he shapes you were asking. If it looks this good with randos just think if he could find kites. What did he think of the two tone?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I assumed you'd make him get another shape but those are lovely just as they are if you went that route too.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
And those are just random side stones that were not he shapes you were asking. If it looks this good with randos just think if he could find kites. What did he think of the two tone?

"Hi Kristine,
I was trying to avoid a color contrast between the sides. If you want I can boost the yellow of the center stone by adding an 18k cup (that also would hide the eye more), and then bring out the white of the sides. If you want more contrast I can also find whiter sides. That would be easier than the warmer toned ones. Attached are some smaller G color VS clarity traps to show the color difference. Both with and without a contrast would be beautiful so there is not a right or wrong way to choose. When a stone does have a yellow shade the yellow cup will make it more of a fancy yellow look. Thanks David"

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes I assumed you'd make him get another shape but those are lovely just as they are if you went that route too.

I think its just the step cut look; after being on here for a short while I have found that I really love step cut diamonds.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also to his point, I wouldn't exactly cup it, but I'd send him that mq profile I posted a bit back- ask if he can make the bar a bit thick to cup it a little without making a full cup. Tell him you'd like to accentuate the color while still keeping it open so it can be cleaned.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:cry2: you are going to make me pull out my hair for planting this seed! I now have no idea what to do after seeing this..like F me this looks really good as well!! I will say I would probably want something larger for the side stones or if doing traps going with two sets on both sides.
20171009_150133.jpg

:confused::confused::confused:

I've been following your journey but the other two options didn't really speak to me....but these?!? :love: LOVEEE the step cuts contrasting with the marquise, LOVE the color contrast and I personally prefer this size bc they compliment the center but aren't too bulky!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I think the smaller size is making the whole thing more wearable. I also think it makes the stones, both side and center, seem more "crisp"
1507600265762.jpeg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
if doing traps going with two sets on both sides

Love those !

The fact that the traps do not tapper to the width of the shank, adds interest to me. I would not add a second pair ...

IHMO, the shank of the ring cold be narrow / thin - it is just a different construction.

I do agree with you over the color not being in a low enough range to pass as a fancy. I just posted a photo of the contrasting white side stones...

The marquise might not be fancy, but I am all for the colourless traps.

With them, an all Pt setting makes most sense ... to me, at least.

I'd say your stone is one of those stryking enough that nobody will second-guess its GIA credentials. The cut fits the colour & I would not try to put this statement in technical terms ! For example, the F - L - F ring I had mentioned, does not seem to have this quality: the L is a relatively bright cut, perhaps meant to bleach the L tint & this changes things ...

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You've expressed a worry about this ring being 'flashy'. The diamond is 'large and in charge' of old cut goodness. You could do anything to it and it will still be large. There is not way to set this that is not 'large and in charge'. You gotta just love this diamond for its history and grandeur.

The greater contrast (the newest E...:eek2:) actually will enhance the shape of the marquise AND not make the stone bigger. The blending colored side stone will be more of a wall of diamonds. If you go with contrast, then you see three-distinct stones...that will be less of a 'giant diamond' that three stones that blend together.

I'm switching to team contrast. I like the marquise in yellow gold and whiter (E) side in white metal like @Niel ring. I love that the sides are floating and not extra prongs with the new cad.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just showed my husband and he freaking HATES the white diamonds with it. His reply " I have not had much of an opinion to your diamond picking but this is the one thing I have reacted strongly against" But he also said to send it to my sister in law who has good taste and I know he values her take on things.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results