shape
carat
color
clarity

Did I make a mistake purchasing this diamond?

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Return it if you can.

Having that said, I kinda understand why you were attracted to the diamond. It does not look flat. It has brightness and contrast. I thought it would be somewhat close to the ideal diamond. I did not expect it would have 65% table. The complementary steep crown and shallow pavilion angles, combined with short LGH, work. I think it is a beautiful diamond.

But you paid too much.
Plus, I would never buy a diamond with such old report. It is like buying a house based on 11yr old inspection report. It is possible that the diamond has minor damage or abrasion from 11yrs of previous ownership.

Brittanyann4207

Rough_Rock
Trade
Return it if you can.

Having that said, I kinda understand why you were attracted to the diamond. It does not look flat. It has brightness and contrast. I thought it would be somewhat close to the ideal diamond. I did not expect it would have 65% table. The complementary steep crown and shallow pavilion angles, combined with short LGH, work. I think it is a beautiful diamond.

But you paid too much.
Plus, I would never buy a diamond with such old report. It is like buying a house based on 11yr old inspection report. It is possible that the diamond has minor damage or abrasion from 11yrs of previous ownership.

It was very beautiful to the eye when next to the other diamonds with better cut grades. But yes the older report concerns me as well. Not sure if I should send it into get re-certified or just return it all the way around. At this point, I think I may need to go lower on carat/size to get better quality. I like the size of this diamond and how it fits my setting but I don’t think I can afford to pay much more right now

It was very beautiful to the eye when next to the other diamonds with better cut grades. But yes the older report concerns me as well. Not sure if I should send it into get re-certified or just return it all the way around. At this point, I think I may need to go lower on carat/size to get better quality. I like the size of this diamond and how it fits my setting but I don’t think I can afford to pay much more right now

If you do decide to return the diamond would then buying online be an option? I think you might find it easier to maximise your budget online.

Brittanyann4207

Rough_Rock
Trade
If you do decide to return the diamond would then buying online be an option? I think you might find it easier to maximise your budget online.

I get sooo nervous with buying diamonds online. Especially that I can’t see it in person. I know a lot of people do it

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
I get sooo nervous with buying diamonds online. Especially that I can’t see it in person. I know a lot of people do it

Lots of people here will help you find a great diamond from a reputable dealer that suits your desires if you decide that’s what you want to do. You buy it, you look at it in your home and your lighting environments and if you don’t love it you send it back. Nothing to lose.

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
I am not a diamond expert, but I'm an expert in what I like. You are not a diamond expert, but you're an expert in what you like. This statement is FALSE: A diamond with an ideal cut is more visually appealing than a diamond with a good cut. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I might prefer a 1.5ct G/VS with a good cut over a 1ct I/SI with an ideal cut. Others might not. To each her own.

I believe you paid a fair price for your diamond. I don't think you got a bargain, but I don't believe you were swindled either. And, your jeweler took your smaller diamond as a trade in. You may lose this advantage if you decide to source a different stone from another dealer. The diamond looks well placed in your setting. Please give your jeweler the benefit of the doubt.

An independent appraiser, who is not a diamond dealer, will be able to give you the information you need to move forward. Once you have the GIA equivalent information you can easily compare apples to apples and determine if you are satisfied with the price you paid for your diamond.

If you decide to consider another stone, I believe @nala has given you excellent advice on that score. I would revisit her post if you have time.

Remember, you're the only one here who can see your diamond in person. It might be the exact right diamond for you.

Brittanyann4207

Rough_Rock
Trade
I agree with @mrs-b that you should get the best bang for you buck, and I agree that you should get an independent appraisal. I think that goes without saying.

You want to know if you paid a fair price for your diamond. Fair value is what the market will bear, and there are some factors to consider.

You entered a retail establishment, viewed numerous diamonds, and selected your favorite. This experience has value, perhaps not quantifiable, but it is valuable nonetheless. Personally, I would be willing to pay at least five percent more in order to select my diamond in person.

Time is valuable, and this is quantifiable. For example, attorneys in private practice charge $200-$600 an hour for their time. How much time will you spend looking for another diamond online? What if it arrives and you don't like it as much as your original stone? How much time will you spend searching for another stone? Will your original diamond still be available?

I scheduled an appraisal on Monday. I’m really curious to see where it come back at! But you make a lot of valid points. I am nervous that I’ll find a better diamond on paper and maybe not like it as much.

Brittanyann4207

Rough_Rock
Trade
Do you guys think a color K would be too yellow for my setting??

The GIA report is 203775877

It’s a 1.46ct VVS1 K Ideal Cut

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you guys think a color K would be too yellow for my setting??

The GIA report is 203775877

It’s a 1.46ct VVS1 K Ideal Cut
Before going down the color rabbit hole, find out from the appraiser what your current stone would be if graded by GIA. Let's you know what your like.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For some reason I can’t get the HCA calculator to work, but here’s a page with detail on the cut parameters,

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results