shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamonds for stud earrings: Larger Is or Smaller Gs?

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I am looking for a pair of diamond stud earrings in the range of 1.4-1.6 ctw, G-I color, SI1-SI2 clarity. I plan to set them in 4-prong baskets to match my pendant from Whiteflash (0.91 ct, F, eye clean SI2, 6.3 mm diameter, HCA 0.7 EX/EX/EX/VG).

Based on trying on studs at local jewelers in the H-I color range, I think I can comfortably go as low as I in color for earrings. (Of course, I was looking at those earrings in jewelry store lighting, lol. My E-ring is a D, and I love icy white, but it doesn’t seem to matter as much in earrings. Or am I wrong?)

I have found 2 pairs I am considering. All four diamonds have HCA scores in the 0.8 to 1.5 range (all EX for light return, fire and scintillation & VG for spread). Both pairs are well matched for table size and diameter. The I stones are ACAs and are noted as eye clean. The G stones would have to be brought in for examination. The Is are a little bit larger and they are ACAs, but the G color is tempting. The Gs cost a little bit more. I am not sure which will be more noticeable: the difference in size or the difference in color?

Assuming all stones are eye clean, which pair would you choose?

Pair 1:

0.752 ct I SI1 ACA; 5.85x5.88x3.61; 61.4% depth, 55.6% table, 34.9 crown angle, 40.8 pavilion angle; HCA: 1.5 TIC

0.751 ct I SI1 ACA; 5.87x5.89x3.60; 61.1% depth, 55.3% table, 34.7 crown angle, 40.7 pavilion angle; HCA: 1.0 TIC

Pair 2:

0.73 ct G SI1 Round; 5.79x5.81x3.54; 61.1% depth, 57% table, 33 crown angle, 40.8 pavilion angle; HCA: 0.8 TIC

0.73 ct G SI1 Round; 5.77x5.80x3.54; 61.2% depth, 57% table, 34.5 crown angle, 40.8 pavilion angle; HCA: 1.3 TIC

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Step 1 is HCA
Step 2 is Idealscope images.

Q

Queenie60

You can't go wrong with ACA stones. I would go with the I colored stones, since they are ACA stones, they will sparkle and face up pretty white - you can confirm this with Whiteflash. I have an excellent cut I stone and it faces up very white and looks larger than 1 carat. Another thing to consider, will you have a full trade up value with the G stones? Whiteflash offers a great trade up with their in house diamonds. Just my opinion. Good luck and can't wait to see your earrings! :wavey:

Kay

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1463441049|4032460 said:
Step 1 is HCA
Step 2 is Idealscope images.

Hi Kenny, I will ask for Idealscope images before buying any stones (already have them for the ACAs). At this point, I am just trying to decide whether I should even ask Whiteflash to call in the G stones to get idealscope images or if I should just go with the larger Is. This is more of a hypothetical question of would you choose color or size, assuming all are great cut stones.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would go for I's in the ears. And I like the 1.5 carat of it all.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're looking at 0.1 mm or so difference in measurement, I'm not sure how visible that will be, if at all.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that the size is negligible, but it appears the I color pair are ACAs and the G pair is not. I would go with the I color ACA pair.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all the replies so far.

It sounds like the size difference will be negligible. I wasn't sure if anyone would notice a difference between 5.79 and 5.87 mm average diameter. I noticed a difference between 5 mm and 5.3 mm, but obviously that is a much larger difference.

I'm not sure why the I color is making me so nervous. When buying an e-ring stone (marquise), I held loose D and F stones side by side and could see a definite difference in face-up color. I have tried on I colored earrings at local stores and thought they looked fine, but I am nervous the twinkly jewelry store lighting made them look better than they would in normal viewing conditions. Will an I colored ACA appear "whiter" than a near-ideal I diamond?

(Just for reference, my F colored RB pendant was a virtual stone sourced by WF. It is not an ACA, but it has great idealscope and ASET images.)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many people here have I color studs because they face up white. I have H color ACA studs and they definitely face up white. Looking at the stones you listed, I like the second G stone, but the other one doesn't have measurements that fall into the ACA range. That was my hang up with that pair, but I will go to the site and look up the options and see the stones quickly.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results