shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamonds comparison: which is the best?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

moonlite

Rough_Rock
I am choosing one of the 3 diamonds and i am so confused with all the stats. Pleasee help !!

1.14-Carat RB Ideal-cut, F-colour, VS2-clarity, grading report from the GIA.
Depth: 62.0%
Table %: 55%
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: Thin to medium
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.71 x 6.76 x 4.18 mm

1.18-Carat RB Ideal-cut, G-colour, VS2-clarity ,grading report from the GIA.
Depth 62.3%
Table %: 57%
Girdle: Medium to slightly thick
Measurements: 6.79 x 6.73 x 4.21 mm

1.21-Carat RB Ideal-cut, H-colour, VS2-clarity diamond , GIA.
Depth: 60.2%
Table %: 58%
Girdle: Medium
Measurements: 6.90 x 6.93 x 4.16 mm

Thanks in advance,

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
We need crown and pavillian angles too

moonlite

Rough_Rock
The proportions of the crowns and pavilions:

1)

Crown angle 35.5%
Pavilion angle:41%
Crown 16%
Pavilion 43.5%

2)
Crown angle 35%
Pavilion angle:41.2%
Crown 15%
Pavilion 43.5%

3)
Crown angle 33.5%
Pavilion angle:40.8%
Crown 14%
Pavilion 43%

Thank you

21.gif

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
#1. No

#2. No

#3. has the most potential and would be my pick of the 3 according to the HCA: https://www.pricescope.com/cutadviser.asp

You would still need and IS image to confirm that the stone has a good light return.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/14/2009 1:08:18 AM
Author: Mrs W
#1. No

#2. No

#3. has the most potential and would be my pick of the 3 according to the HCA: https://www.pricescope.com/cutadviser.asp

You would still need and IS image to confirm that the stone has a good light return.
Ditto Mrs W.

phildominator

Rough_Rock
Where/Who is telling you these three diamonds are "Ideal-Cut"?

Is this Blue Nile?

Depending on who uses and how they define "Ideal-Cut," it could be misleading...

moonlite

Rough_Rock
Thanks Mrs W for your advices. BTW i''m a newbie so i don''t know all sorts of terminology here
5.gif
what is IS image ? is that the diagram which shows any inclusions of the stone?. Could you explain a bit more why #1 & #2 are not good compared to the last.

Here are their price quotes.
26.gif

1)$9144
2)$8818
3)$9532

moonlite

Rough_Rock
Yes, 2 of them are from Bluenile and another is from a local store.
1.gif

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
IS image is idealscope image.

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/firescope.asp

Anyway, BlueNile will not be able to supply you with IS image. Is #3 local or BN? If local, get an idealscope and take a look at it, it has the most potential.

EDT:
1 and 2 are too deep in the pavilion for the respective crown angles, this will result in some light leakage, making the stone look less lively.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 9:53:41 AM
Author: moonlite
Thanks Mrs W for your advices. BTW i'm a newbie so i don't know all sorts of terminology here
5.gif
what is IS image ? is that the diagram which shows any inclusions of the stone?. Could you explain a bit more why #1 & #2 are not good compared to the last.

26.gif

1)$9144
2)$8818
3)$9532
I think you could do a lot better in that same price range with some PS recommended vendors

This stone from Whiteflash is the same size range, less expensive and a better performer (ask them if it is eye-clean)

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-1982323.htm#

An IS refers to an Ideal Scope image. It is an image that shows how much light the diamond reflects and how much it "leaks". An ASET is another type of image that works similarly. If you look at the Whiteflash diamond page, you can click on the links for those images to see what they are referring to. Blue Nile will not provide IS image.

Edit: I changed the linked stone. They have two of similar size and price, but the first has a feather right under the table and I linked the wrong one.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/14/2009 10:10:50 AM
Author: jet2ks

Date: 4/14/2009 9:53:41 AM
Thanks Mrs W for your advices. BTW i'm a newbie so i don't know all sorts of terminology here
5.gif

26.gif

1)$9144
2)$8818
3)$9532
I think you could do a lot better in that same price range with some PS recommended vendors

This stone from Whiteflash is the same size range, less expensive and a better performer (ask them if it is eye-clean)

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-1982322.htm

An IS refers to an Ideal Scope image. It is an image that shows how much light the diamond reflects and how much it 'leaks'. An ASET is another type of image that works similarly. If you look at the Whiteflash diamond page, you can click on the links for those images to see what they are referring to. Blue Nile will not provide IS image.
Ditto. Also the second diamonds pavilion angle is too steep regardless to get the best out of it. You have a nice budget and can get a lovely diamond.

This page explains about ASET and Idealscope images, their use and benefits.

http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=education-performance

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
If I had to choose out of the 3 RBs, I would choose #3 but def. need to check light leakage.

moonlite

Rough_Rock
OMG i am totally lost in a sea of information lol. Very very informative forum, thanks everyone. Correct me if i am wrong here: an ideal cut RB does not guarantee its light performance and so it may has some light leakages.

@Stone-cold11 : #3 is from BN so i won''t be able to see its IS image
5.gif
. Is it possible to tell abt a diamond''s light performance without its IS image?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 11:08:37 AM

OMG i am totally lost in a sea of information lol. Very very informative forum, thanks everyone. Correct me if i am wrong here: an ideal cut RB does not guarantee its light performance and so it may has some light leakages.

@Stone-cold11 : #3 is from BN so i won't be able to see its IS image
5.gif
. Is it possible to tell abt a diamond's light performance without its IS image?

This is because the numbers on the GIA report are rounded average numbers of 8 facets each for the pavilion and crown. So they might be off by alot which can result in leakage, and the only way to see that is with an image.

EDT:
Go with the vendors that provide these images, jet2ks has picked a good one that is within your specs and budget. They also have an upgrade policy that BN does not have so if in the future you want to have a bigger stone or better specs, the price of the stone you bought will cover some of the cost of the upgrade.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/14/2009 11:08:37 AM

@Stone-cold11 : #3 is from BN so i won't be able to see its IS image
5.gif
. Is it possible to tell abt a diamond's light performance without its IS image?
This depends on the proportions of the diamond, the term Ideal Cut can be used rather loosely and does not guarantee a well cut diamond. This is why it is CRUCIAL to evaluate each diamond on its own desirable physical and visual properties. You can get an idea of light performance without Idealscope with some proportion combos but really an image is very useful as there is still a lot of info which is missing without. Put it this way if I was choosing without images there are some proportion sets I might be ok with without Idealscope as I know what I am looking for and have been doing this for years ( there are also proportion sets and particularly pavilion angle ranges I would never consider without an ASET or Idealscope image) but images are really the best way to get more information on a diamond, especially as GIA rounds the numbers - images are best.

moonlite

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all responses, i really appreciate your opinions!!

I just got back from the local store with the #3 stats and the seller man suggested me that i should not compromise on the color and that i should go for VERY GOOD cut but F color rather than EXCELLENT cut and H color, bottom line DO NOT COMPROMISE ON COLOR. My Q is : Is it true that at the size range 1.20 cts, H color will be very noticeable yellow especially when set in platinium or white gold?.

TIA,

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Color is more noticeable in a poorly cut stone. An excellent cut H will face up very white. I would disagree with the salesperson and say DO NOT COMPROMISE ON CUT.

Good Old Gold did a great video on diamond color that shows how small a difference there really is in color for a well cut stone.

http://vimeo.com/3288695

There are also a lot of threads showing H, I and J color stones if you do a search.

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
I disagree with the man selling the diamonds. I think above all cut is one of THE most important factors in a diamond. The cut is what makes it sparkle and give it life! A ''G'' color diamond in the carat range you''re looking at will not look yellow. You can have a "D" colored diamond that is poorly cut and it wouldn''t look as nice as a G or an H that has excellent cut.

Happy shopping :)

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 4:45:04 PM
Thanks for all responses, i really appreciate your opinions!!

I just got back from the local store with the #3 stats and the seller man suggested me that i should not compromise on the color and that i should go for VERY GOOD cut but F color rather than EXCELLENT cut and H color, bottom line DO NOT COMPROMISE ON COLOR. My Q is : Is it true that at the size range 1.20 cts, H color will be very noticeable yellow especially when set in platinium or white gold?.

TIA,
Agrees with the previous posters, H color is not easily noticeable unless you are very color sensitive. Also you have to be aware that he is pushing for his goods, which are lesser cut F & G stones. Sales talk. Look at the GOG video, go to a store that sells AGS0 cut stones such as Jared and check out the different colors yourself.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Number 3 has the most potential, but honestly i''d probably look from a vendor with images like whiteflash, goodoldgold.com or jamesallen.com for a larger purchase.

I disagree with your jeweler. I well-cut diamond will out-sparkle an okay cut stone and a well-cut diamond of lower color will face up white because of the great cut. Not that this should matter much with an H stone anyways...this is going to be a white stone, H is by no means "warm"...

I have a 1.11 H SI2 diamond that looks very very white, you can see it here:

danhov_30bb.jpg

moonlite

Rough_Rock
For exactly 1 month i''ve been searching my diamond and with time my "narrow" criteria ( 1 ct, VVS1, F, EX cut )was widened (e.g. >1ct, VS1-VS2, G-H , EX cut remains the same
9.gif
). All credit goes to pricescope,i learn a lot with you.

Now i am considering closely the #3 diamond which seems to be the best choice for me so far. BTW, i forgot to mention $9532 is quoted in CAD not USD so it will be about 7943 USD
3.gif
( i am so exhausted from this dia. search lol). This price includes shipping, handling and applicable tax. I still look from whiteflash for similar stones but found none in this price range
8.gif
. Should i jump for the #3 from BN ??. I''m scare i can''t find anything better .

P.S: i went to another local store today and the seller there told me that platinium is 24K gold
9.gif
9.gif
the best sentence of the day
9.gif
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Agreed, you should really consider eye-clean SI1s.

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 10:33:54 AM
For exactly 1 month i''ve been searching my diamond and with time my ''narrow'' criteria ( 1 ct, VVS1, F, EX cut )was widened (e.g. >1ct, VS1-VS2, G-H , EX cut remains the same
9.gif

Now i am considering closely the #3 diamond which seems to be the best choice for me so far. BTW, i forgot to mention $9532 is quoted in CAD not USD so it will be about 7943 USD
3.gif
( i am so exhausted from this dia. search lol). This price includes shipping, handling and applicable tax. I still look from whiteflash for similar stones but found none in this price range
8.gif
. Should i jump for the #3 from BN ??. I''m scare i can''t find anything better .

P.S: i went to another local store today and the seller there told me that platinium is 24K gold
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

I would advise not trusting anything this store is telling you. Platinum is NOT gold at all!
32.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/15/2009 10:48:22 AM
Author: girlie-girl

Date: 4/15/2009 10:33:54 AM
For exactly 1 month i''ve been searching my diamond and with time my ''narrow'' criteria ( 1 ct, VVS1, F, EX cut )was widened (e.g. >1ct, VS1-VS2, G-H , EX cut remains the same
9.gif

3.gif
8.gif

9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

I would advise not trusting anything this store is telling you. Platinum is NOT gold at all!
32.gif
yikes2.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I would also pick #3 from the numbers and I wouldn't obsess over not having an idealscope image. We tend to try to recommend the best of the best stones, but when it comes down to it, I doubt most of us would refuse an excellent cut stone just looking at them with our eyes! And I strongly prefer VS for e-ring stones, so I'd stick with your current parameters, personally (I am in the minority here, but I didn't want you to think you were crazy to not go to SI1).

By the way, #3 is larger in diameter than the other two, which is really nice!

moonlite

Rough_Rock
9.gif
9.gif
it was exactly my reaction lol my eyes were almost popping out of their sockets when she told me so.

@diamondseeker2006: VS2 is the lowest i can go, i''d love to buy my girl FL if i can afford but ...
26.gif
. i am curious how a 6.93 mm diamond will look like on size 4 finger????

moonlite

Rough_Rock
Thank you Lorelei, i am looking at the diamonds you suggested

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 11:16:55 AM
9.gif
9.gif
it was exactly my reaction lol my eyes were almost popping out of their sockets when she told me so.

@diamondseeker2006: VS2 is the lowest i can go, i''d love to buy my girl FL if i can afford but ...
26.gif
. i am curious how a 6.93 mm diamond will look like on size 4 finger????
This chart may help you as far as finger coverage goes.

RBCSizeOnFingerCP43543.jpg

This is a fairly good representation, though I don''t know the exact dimensions of the diamond, it''s a 1.08ct on a 4.5 finger. You can get to the thread on the link below:

Cleopatra''s ring

PICT00031112.JPG

moonlite

Rough_Rock
Thanks girlie-girl for the size chart, that 1.08 ct diamond looks hugeeee on her
41.gif

After 2 days hunting i finally found these 2 diamonds whose numbers seem to be very promissing
30.gif
. Please give me your expert opinion. TIA

1) 1.22-Carat Round Idealcut, G, VS2, grading report from AGSL.
Bank wire price: $8,907
Depth %: 61.1%
Table %: 55.5%
Fluorescence: negligible
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Crown Angle: 34.2
Crown Height: 15.2%
Girdle: Faceted, 1.2% to 3.6%
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Pavilion Depth: 43.0%
Star Length: 53%
Lower Girdle Length: 76%
Measurements: 6.89 x 6.93 x 4.23 mm

2)1.10 Ct Round,Ideal cut, G, VS2, grading report GIA.
Bank wire price: $7,245
Total depth: 61.7%
Table %: 56%
Crown Angle: 34.5
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Girdle: Medium to slightly thick
Measurements: 6.61 x 6.64 x 4.09 mm

I have the feeling...this is it !!
Many thankss

36.gif
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results