shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond opinions ? Experts pls help

freedom2016

Shiny_Rock
Hi all
My fiancé bought me a 3 stone engagement ring when he proposed and I had no involvement in picking the setting or stone. The ring is almost identical to one I got in a former life and it seems to also not perform as nicely as other stones I’ve seen. It appears yellow ish and not very sparkly at times - when I look at the details, it’s a k and I am wondering if that is why
I’m considering maybe adding a halo to the center stone as I would love to add more to the ring but I’m not sure if it’s just me being too critical as many of us are ☹️
I don’t want to hurt my fiancés feelings and he did go to a jewelry store I recommended but
I wonder if the stone isn’t the best performing stone and if we would better served:
1) saving for a better performing center stone/maybe larger stone or
2) add halo to give it more sparkle

I’m attaching the stone information, a picture of my ring and a picture of the ring with the added halo. Can you experts please advise what you would do in this situation? Would you change center ? Or add halo ? Or if you think I’m crazy and should leave it alone, I would love to hear that also :)

A2012D7D-35A6-419D-A8FB-F8441379A60A.jpeg
D246B45C-904D-43E3-9375-1D10F356ABD5.jpeg

Attachments

• CA98B869-D789-49CE-AA3C-8259672660FD.jpeg
    CA98B869-D789-49CE-AA3C-8259672660FD.jpeg
    66 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello, @freedom2016 !
It's not the color or the lack of halo, it's the proportions and angles.
The 41.4/35.0/58 combo is causing some light to escape anywhere but back out the top to your eyes, resulting in the issues with optical performance that you have noticed.
Are you in a return window for the diamond, by chance?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Here are some diamond with the same combo:

Here are some great comparison videos by JannPaul showing the differences of optics between a diamond that is similar to yours and one that has much stricter proportions and angles to maximize light return:

freedom2016

Shiny_Rock
Thank you. !!! I don’t know if there is a return window on the stone and I’m also unsure how to broach this subject with my fiancé. I don’t want to hurt his feelings.
Also I sent him to the jeweler so maybe I can use that but I also don’t think we can get our money back so I’d have to speak to jeweler about getting a better performing stone.
Not sure how to do that either - the stone was 5100 - pls help!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto @DejaWiz

It's the cut. Putting a halo around it won't help the cut. A K color will show tint but should still sparkle (when well cut).
Have you talked to your SO about it?

Did you want a 3 stone? Maybe you could switch to a solitaire and use the cost of the setting/side stones to get something
a little bigger/better cut with less tint.

Edit...I would talk to your SO ASAP not knowing what the exchange window is.

Last edited:

freedom2016

Shiny_Rock
Hello, @freedom2016 !
It's not the color or the lack of halo, it's the proportions and angles.
The 41.4/35.0/58 combo is causing some light to escape anywhere but back out the top to your eyes, resulting in the issues with optical performance that you have noticed.
Are you in a return window for the diamond, by chance?

Thank you. I might work with the jeweler directly to return my stone for a better performing one. Can you please tell me specifically what should I tell him I want in the new stone so the proportions and angles are better? Are the James Allen ones examples of what I should be looking for ?

freedom2016

Shiny_Rock
Ditto @DejaWiz

It's the cut. Putting a halo around it won't help the cut. A K color will show tint but should still sparkle (when well cut).
Have you talked to your SO about it?

Did you want a 3 stone? Maybe you could switch to a solitaire and use the cost of the setting/side stones to get something
a little bigger/better cut with less tint.

I did not want a 3 stone…… I had a 3 stone 20 yrs ago but I’m worried about hurting my fiancés feelings.
I do like the idea of using the sides to offset the cost of a better cut stone. But I’m afraid to hurt his feelings, he’s so proud he picked it himself. I may just swap out the center and he won’t need to know.
Is that terrible?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you. I might work with the jeweler directly to return my stone for a better performing one. Can you please tell me specifically what should I tell him I want in the new stone so the proportions and angles are better? Are the James Allen ones examples of what I should be looking for ?

You're welcome!
The James Allen examples are diamonds that have the same issues that yours does.

Ask your jeweler to source you a diamond that is (or meets) AGS Triple Zero grade, which is far more strict and reliable than GIA 3X.
An ASET scope image will further validate the optical performance.

Here are some recommended proportions and angles:

Crown angle: 34-35°
Pavilion angle: 40.6-40.8°
Table width: 54-56%, upwards of 58% OK
Star facets: around 50%, 45-55% usually safe
Lowers girdle facets: 75-77%, up to 80% OK

Here is a K 1ct with extremely strict specifications:

Last edited:

freedom2016

Shiny_Rock
You're welcome!
The James Allen examples are diamonds that have the same issues that yours does.

Ask your jeweler to source you a diamond that is (or meets) AGS Triple Zero grade, which is far more strict and reliable than GIA 3X.
An ASET scope image will further validate the optical performance.

Here are some recommended proportions and angles:

Crown angle: 34-35°
Pavilion angle: 40.6-40.8°
Table width: 54-56%, upwards of 58% OK
Star facets: around 50%, 45-55% usually safe
Lowers girdle facets: 75-77%, up to 80% OK

Here is a K 1ct with extremely strict specifications:

Thank you so very much for this!!!!! I will ask him (jeweler) to find me a same size stone with these specifics

Any ideas how much it should be? For a 1ct? I just don’t want to be over charged so if you can tell me ballpark that will help.
My stone was 5100

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so very much for this!!!!! I will ask him (jeweler) to find me a same size stone with these specifics

Any ideas how much it should be? For a 1ct? I just don’t want to be over charged so if you can tell me ballpark that will help.
My stone was 5100

The Whiteflash ACA that I posted, which is a bonafide super ideal cut and has pinnacle light performance, is around $5300 so I'd say $5000-5500 local jeweler retail would probably be a fair range for a diamond with top optics.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would just be honest with him. Tell him that while the ring is lovely, it just reminds you of another ring you previously had and you would rather have a solitaire or a halo setting. Tell him you should have specified this from the beginning but just didn’t think he would choose a three stone ring. No way to know if his feelings will be terribly hurt but he loves you and I am sure he would want you to be happy. You can tell him you would be willing to do the legwork to make it into something that you would be pleased to wear. I would rather tackle this issue now than live with a ring for the rest of my life that I didn’t love.
Just don’t start out with dishonesty in order to spare his feelings - it won’t be worth it in the long run. I would let him know how conflicted and sorry you feel about it and hope he understands and wants to make it right for you. Good luck and keep us posted!

freedom2016

Shiny_Rock
I would just be honest with him. Tell him that while the ring is lovely, it just reminds you of another ring you previously had and you would rather have a solitaire or a halo setting. Tell him you should have specified this from the beginning but just didn’t think he would choose a three stone ring. No way to know if his feelings will be terribly hurt but he loves you and I am sure he would want you to be happy. You can tell him you would be willing to do the legwork to make it into something that you would be pleased to wear. I would rather tackle this issue now than live with a ring for the rest of my life that I didn’t love.
Just don’t start out with dishonesty in order to spare his feelings - it won’t be worth it in the long run. I would let him know how conflicted and sorry you feel about it and hope he understands and wants to make it right for you. Good luck and keep us posted!

I’m going to do this. You are 1000% right.
He would much rather me be straight and I’m sure he has no idea my ring from back then was also 3 stone.
Thank you so much! I already got my wedding band so maybe I’ll just get the matching engagement ring
This is my band - I could ask jeweler to do this ering setting to match band

this setting looks simple enough that a well cut 1 ct would look beautiful, do you agree or is there an even simpler one to show case the center stone?
1BD4BECF-36DB-487B-8681-D824D4B427DD.png

Attachments

• 7FC3FEF0-878D-479A-8261-B174FC381F93.png
    7FC3FEF0-878D-479A-8261-B174FC381F93.png
    255.9 KB · Views: 14

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you drop down from the VVSI clarity to an eye-clean SI1 you can save some money on the stone (or to a VS2).

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
The Whiteflash ACA that I posted, which is a bonafide super ideal cut and has pinnacle light performance, is around $5300 so I'd say $5000-5500 local jeweler retail would probably be a fair range for a diamond with top optics.

Meant to state that for a K color 1ct with similar proportions of the ACA posted earlier should be in the price range specified from your local jeweler.
Some very rare VS2 and some SI1 will have heavy clouding or even a comment on the grading report saying "clarity based on clouds not shown"...avoid those diamonds no matter how enticing the price is.
The comment "additional clouds not shown" or "clouds not shown" warrants extra assessment to ensure that there will be no areas/zones within the diamond that has inhibitive transparency issues.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m going to do this. You are 1000% right.
He would much rather me be straight and I’m sure he has no idea my ring from back then was also 3 stone.
Thank you so much! I already got my wedding band so maybe I’ll just get the matching engagement ring
This is my band - I could ask jeweler to do this ering setting to match band

this setting looks simple enough that a well cut 1 ct would look beautiful, do you agree or is there an even simpler one to show case the center stone?
1BD4BECF-36DB-487B-8681-D824D4B427DD.png

That is fine. The options are four prong or six prong with a simple solitaire - both can be beautiful! The answers were inside you all along; sometimes we just need folks to tell us it is ok to move along with the plan! Use the numbers given to you to find a beautiful diamond and please come back with pictures! If you have any questions as you look for another diamond, just come back and ask. So many knowledgeable people here to help!!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Found a couple candidates at Distinctive Gem for you to look at (or give you another bases for comparison):

You can find them by adjusting the filters for the specs:

Screenshot_20230102-192319-299.png

Screenshot_20230102-192357-937.png

JSG2185

Shiny_Rock
You’ve gotten some good help and feedback. I just wanted to stop in and say I know this was hard and I totally feel you. I was in a similar situation where the diamond in my ER just doesn’t perform well (it’s a steep deep and sort of has a dead center in certain lights). I debated for years about whether or not to tell my SO and I finally did. He was glad I did (although not happy that the diamond wasn’t a great cut). We both decided on keeping the diamond because of sentimental value (we recently had it reset), and then we built another ring (anniversary ring) with another stone/style. It all worked out. I’m sure your SO wants you to be happy (and wants the best for you) so do what you feel makes you happy and is right for you!

Hi all
My fiancé bought me a 3 stone engagement ring when he proposed and I had no involvement in picking the setting or stone. The ring is almost identical to one I got in a former life and it seems to also not perform as nicely as other stones I’ve seen. It appears yellow ish and not very sparkly at times - when I look at the details, it’s a k and I am wondering if that is why
I’m considering maybe adding a halo to the center stone as I would love to add more to the ring but I’m not sure if it’s just me being too critical as many of us are ☹️
I don’t want to hurt my fiancés feelings and he did go to a jewelry store I recommended but
I wonder if the stone isn’t the best performing stone and if we would better served:

I’m attaching the stone information, a picture of my ring and a picture of the ring with the added halo. Can you experts please advise what you would do in this situation? Would you change center ? Or add halo ? Or if you think I’m crazy and should leave it alone, I would love to hear that also :)

Hi all

freedom2016

Shiny_Rock
That is fine. The options are four prong or six prong with a simple solitaire - both can be beautiful! The answers were inside you all along; sometimes we just need folks to tell us it is ok to move along with the plan! Use the numbers given to you to find a beautiful diamond and please come back with pictures! If you have any questions as you look for another diamond, just come back and ask. So many knowledgeable people here to help!!

Will do! I spoke to fiancé about the 3 stone and explained my thoughts- he was upset I didn’t say something sooner….. and that for months I’ve said I was happy. Sigh.
I will work on a new setting. Would you suggest I get the six prong on the setting I showed above vs 4? Would the 6 look better?
I already have this wedding band so it’s either this or just a plain solitaire. What is the best simple setting for a 1ct to look the best?
Also, how to handle if people notice it’s a different setting? Like his family or friends? Ughhhhh I feel like the worst person

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will do! I spoke to fiancé about the 3 stone and explained my thoughts- he was upset I didn’t say something sooner….. and that for months I’ve said I was happy. Sigh.
I will work on a new setting. Would you suggest I get the six prong on the setting I showed above vs 4? Would the 6 look better?
I already have this wedding band so it’s either this or just a plain solitaire. What is the best simple setting for a 1ct to look the best?
Also, how to handle if people notice it’s a different setting? Like his family or friends? Ughhhhh I feel like the worst person

Six prongs can make a stone look more round and four prongs can sometimes create a more square look. Some people like the six prongs for the extra protection but it is personal preference. Hopefully you can take a look at both options.
I am so glad that he was so supportive but we want our loved ones to be happy. Do not feel bad about what you are feeling - in a perfect world you would have loved it but we don’t live in a perfect world. He chose something you could not have dreamed he would have - just one of those things. If people notice or comment, just acknowledge that you and he decided to change the setting and that you love it! You don’t have to divulge all of the details if you don’t want to but again, the two of you might discuss the possibility of questions. This ring is between the two of you and as long as it suits you both that is really all that matters. We all feel that when there is a hiccup in life that it will be glaringly apparent to everyone. Not always the case - many of us have upgraded and it was not even noticed! Just focus on the next steps - sounds like you will have a wedding to plan!

freedom2016

Shiny_Rock
Six prongs can make a stone look more round and four prongs can sometimes create a more square look. Some people like the six prongs for the extra protection but it is personal preference. Hopefully you can take a look at both options.
I am so glad that he was so supportive but we want our loved ones to be happy. Do not feel bad about what you are feeling - in a perfect world you would have loved it but we don’t live in a perfect world. He chose something you could not have dreamed he would have - just one of those things. If people notice or comment, just acknowledge that you and he decided to change the setting and that you love it! You don’t have to divulge all of the details if you don’t want to but again, the two of you might discuss the possibility of questions. This ring is between the two of you and as long as it suits you both that is really all that matters. We all feel that when there is a hiccup in life that it will be glaringly apparent to everyone. Not always the case - many of us have upgraded and it was not even noticed! Just focus on the next steps - sounds like you will have a wedding to plan!

Hi there thank you so much! I’ll keep you all posted and can’t thank everyone enough for being so kind, Sharing your knowledge and giving me the pep talk you all did.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I have always thought that one of the most beautiful parts of the idea of an engagement ring upgrade or change is that it means that the couple is able to communicate with each other with honesty and kindness, and that they are able to really understand each other’s emotions. It means they are talking about feelings, wants, needs and finances, and doing so in a way that is productive. That is no small thing, and sometimes it takes couples YEARS of marriage (and for many, therapy) to get there.

You have been able to do this already, before you even got down the aisle. What a wonderful testament to your relationship!

I honestly doubt anyone will notice a change in your ring, but if they do, please take heart that it symbolizes something that you and your fiancé are doing very, very right.

freedom2016

Shiny_Rock
hi eveyone
So quick update, well 2 updates
1) spoke to jeweler and they will not let me update my stone as it’s been too long since purchase so unless we double cost, I can’t do it.
2) I’m struggling with ring reset at all seeing I can’t get a better performing stone and although fiance said I “can reset”, I’m feeling sentimental about giving his original choice away for good…… Right now I think I’m going to keep it and the only possibility is to maybe adjust the 3 stone a smidge so it’s not SO similar to my prior one. Only ways I can think of (and I’m not sure if either would just be a waste of money is:)
Add halo as originally mentioned or
Swap out side diamonds for maybe sapphires. I’m not sure if this would make my center even less sparkly and would be counter productive or if it would help give it some gusto?

What would you do?
1- Leave alone?
2- add Halo or
3- add sapphires, maybe use small rounds for earrings ?

I have no idea about such things so again am asking what you all would do in my case.

Attachments

• E40CADFD-0000-441A-BE70-DD723E2679F2.jpeg
    E40CADFD-0000-441A-BE70-DD723E2679F2.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 89DDCF61-7F3D-4D3E-80C4-9BD38BB0DC2A.jpeg
    89DDCF61-7F3D-4D3E-80C4-9BD38BB0DC2A.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 6

JSG2185

Shiny_Rock
I love sapphires, so my vote would go for side sapphires!

hi eveyone
1) spoke to jeweler and they will not let me update my stone as it’s been too long since purchase so unless we double cost, I can’t do it.
2) I’m struggling with ring reset at all seeing I can’t get a better performing stone and although fiance said I “can reset”, I’m feeling sentimental about giving his original choice away for good…… Right now I think I’m going to keep it and the only possibility is to maybe adjust the 3 stone a smidge so it’s not SO similar to my prior one. Only ways I can think of (and I’m not sure if either would just be a waste of money is:)
Swap out side diamonds for maybe sapphires. I’m not sure if this would make my center even less sparkly and would be counter productive or if it would help give it some gusto?

What would you do?
1- Leave alone?
2- add Halo or

I have no idea about such things so again am asking what you all would do in my case.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hi eveyone

What would you do?
1- Leave alone?
2- add Halo or

I love the idea of using the side stones for earrings and swapping for sapphires. If you're still unhappy with the performance of your diamond, would you consider getting it tweaked a bit by a cutter? Southwest Diamond Cutters would do a great job of this, and that way you'd get to keep your original stone but have better performance.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I love the idea of using the side stones for earrings and swapping for sapphires. If you're still unhappy with the performance of your diamond, would you consider getting it tweaked a bit by a cutter? Southwest Diamond Cutters would do a great job of this, and that way you'd get to keep your original stone but have better performance.

Now this is a fantastic plan!

freedom2016

Shiny_Rock
Now this is a fantastic plan!

Do you think the sapphire idea will take away from my current center ? Or enhance it? I love the recutting idea also maybe as a step 2

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Do you think the sapphire idea will take away from my current center ? Or enhance it? I love the recutting idea also maybe as a step 2

That's entirely up to your preference and eyes. If you want to, then try to visit some local jewelry stores and see if any have some three-stone with diamond center and sapphire sides that you can try on.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Not at all, the diamond will certainly hold its own next to the sapphires!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results