shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond inside diamond

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The outer stone weighs 0.62 carats and contains an inner cavity of 6 cubic millimeters in which the internal 0.02-carat diamond can move.

1570489393703.png

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FYI...

AV_

Ideal_Rock
What do you make of it?
I know so little about diamond growth!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
What do you make of it?
I know so little about diamond growth!
Hi AV, the topic was already posted so I am sort of threadjacking,
But in theory, with my geologist hat on, there can be no liquids or gases inside diamond because the extreme pressure of formation would compress any liquid or gas to a solid state.
I am sure there will be published scientific papers and theories abounding over the next few years.

Carbon has atomic mass 12
Silicon 28
Oxygen 12
Silicon dioxide (quartz) is 2.65 times heavier than water.
diamond (pure covalent bonded carbon) is 3.52 times heavier than water,

Diamond has the tightest closet atomic bonds of all materials (4.55A from memory).
If quartz was as tightly bonded as diamond then it would weigh 5.9 times heavier than water.

So the pressure to form diamond is astronomical (literally)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
My theory is that the small diamond grew and was surrounded by unconverted carbon, the larger diamond grew around it.
Then the carbon was at some point dissolved by acid and the acid somehow escaped.

My other theory is that it is a fake created by lasers in the same way inclusiosn are removed by crossed lasers beams.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I am sure there will be published scientific papers and theories abounding over the next few years.

I should know crystals, but not this & it is difficul to immagine what, of the volume of the cavity, cold support the external euhedral growth then condense into allot of diamond. [hedge for idiocy implied]

Is there a diamond grower in this house?

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Hi AV, the topic was already posted so I am sort of threadjacking,
But in theory, with my geologist hat on, there can be no liquids or gases inside diamond because the extreme pressure of formation would compress any liquid or gas to a solid state.

Carbon has atomic mass 12
Silicon 28
Oxygen 12
Silicon dioxide (quartz) is 2.65 times heavier than water.
diamond (pure covalent bonded carbon) is 3.52 times heavier than water,

Diamond has the tightest closet atomic bonds of all materials (4.55A from memory).
If quartz was as tightly bonded as diamond then it would weigh 5.9 times heavier than water.

So the pressure to form diamond is astronomical (literally)

I have a question. I was looking at a colored diamond, and saw on the GIA report that it had an etch channel. I had never heard of that so I looked it up and read that an etch channel is formed when gas is escaping a diamond. Is that not accurate?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results