shape
carat
color
clarity

Desperately Seeking Spinel!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/15/2008 4:25:31 PM
Author: FrekeChild

Date: 9/15/2008 4:13:40 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
So, wait - do we get pics soon?
2.gif

I just saw ''O'' this weekend, and it was awesome! I''ve seen the old Cirque shows, since I lived there for 25 years, but O was my first new one. I''m a freak when it comes to the mechanics of some of thise stuff, and the stage was something to see. I just kept sitting there saying ''How on earth?''

I hear Zumanity is a good one if you''re with your SO.
31.gif

As far as dinner, we did Morels at The Palazzo - outside on the patio, it''s pretty much anything you want to wear. I wore some paige jeans and a BCBG top I had just bought at the Palazzo shops for 50% off!

Also, Red 8 at Wynn was delicious, and Canaletto''s in St. Mark''s square was nice, as long as you don''t eat out on the patio.

I never made it to Bouchon, but they have a bakery, and OMG! Do yourself a favour and get some pastries - YUM!
You guys get pics as soon as I get to see the stone. No guarantees as to when that will be though. Hopefully it won''t be until I get a proposal! (Well for me, not you guys!)

I''m really leaning towards ''O''. Then probably Mystere. I did some research last night and I''m really interested in seeing this whole water thing. Zumanity is pretty fantastic with your SO.
9.gif

I was thinking that we could have brunch at Bouchon the day after the wedding (likely in 2010) but I was considering it for this trip. I''ll definitely check out the pastries though. Where exactly in The Venetian is it?

I was thinking about making him take me to Daniel Boulud''s place at Wynn. I figure they''ve got a burger, he''s bound to like it, right? Lol. Little does he know its stuffed with short ribs and foie gras (at least the one in NYC is) and not at all like what he''d really be interested in...

I should go poke around the Hotel websites...
Well, at least we get pics. *sigh*
2.gif

I would make my vote for ''O'' - the stage movement alone is worth the price of admission . . .

As far as Bouchon, it''s right near the Hotel lobby, to the left . . .

Oh, and there''s also the Batali restaurant - B&B - which I didn''t go to, but had awesome drinks at.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Where is the Batali restaurant?

I went to his pizza joint Otto in NYC, and had the best ice cream of my life--OLIVE OIL ice cream--and I''d go back to any of his restaurants in a heartbeat. Plus FF likes watching him on Iron Chef so he''s probably game there.

misspinky

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/15/2008 3:28:18 PM

Date: 9/15/2008 3:23:19 PM

Freke, I''m just now catching up on my PS (and my sleep) since I''ve been in Vegas all week (for work, and a little fun).

So, you''re waiting on one stone now, and have you received anything else since last Saturday?

Oh, and Dani - YOUCH!!!! That ring is AWESOME!

Hey Lauren! I have some questions about Vegas for you...considering jacking my own thread to ask. Hee hee hee.

I''m waiting on one stone now. It is probably sitting in my mailbox--I hope, and I''ll find out if it''s a keeper today when FF gets home from work. I haven''t received any other stones, just been waiting on this one. Although Dan has got a hot little stone on his dop right now from the looks on his page...

Oh heck, might as well go for the threadjack--What''s your favorite Cirque show? And where would you go for a nice dinner out (that doesn''t require a dress code)?

2.gif

I just saw ''O'' this weekend, and it was awesome! I''ve seen the old Cirque shows, since I lived there for 25 years, but O was my first new one. I''m a freak when it comes to the mechanics of some of thise stuff, and the stage was something to see. I just kept sitting there saying ''How on earth?''

31.gif

As far as dinner, we did Morels at The Palazzo - outside on the patio, it''s pretty much anything you want to wear. I wore some paige jeans and a BCBG top I had just bought at the Palazzo shops for 50% off!

Also, Red 8 at Wynn was delicious, and Canaletto''s in St. Mark''s square was nice, as long as you don''t eat out on the patio.

I never made it to Bouchon, but they have a bakery, and OMG! Do yourself a favour and get some pastries - YUM!

Okay, *minor* threadjack, but what hotel is the best to stay at in Vegas (price no object). FI and I are going there right after we get married for like 3 days (saving the honeymoon for later since I have to start my job like right after the wedding). We were thinking maybe Green Valley Ranch? Thoughts?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you want to stay anywhere around the strip I''d check out this site: Cheapo Vegas because I find it slightly amusing and a bit blatantly honest, but also very informative. It helped me make a decision anyway. I don''t really know anything about any hotels that are off the strip. What are you wanting to do while you''re there? R and R? Spas? Just relax? Or dancing/going to clubs/seeing shows, etc?

(And I totally don''t mind threadjacks!)

misspinky

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/15/2008 4:47:39 PM
If you want to stay anywhere around the strip I''d check out this site: Cheapo Vegas because I find it slightly amusing and a bit blatantly honest, but also very informative. It helped me make a decision anyway. I don''t really know anything about any hotels that are off the strip. What are you wanting to do while you''re there? R and R? Spas? Just relax? Or dancing/going to clubs/seeing shows, etc?

We really want to do a little of it all. FI has never been to Vegas (I have) so I want him to experience as much as possible. We''re definitely going to a cirque show (I''m thinking Zumanity or O again because he used to dive competitively and would love the water element of it), doing a spa afternoon, and going dancing at least one night....does that help at all? On or off the strip, either is fine with us...

pjean

Brilliant_Rock

Thank goodness!
2.gif
I''m thinking about having my wedding at Bouchon, in their courtyard. It''s on the 10th floor of the Venezia tower, and has it''s own elevator (that must be what Lauren was talking about). If you happen to go there, please let me know what you think of it. Especially the food!

Misspinky, if I were staying in Vegas with money no object for a honeymoon, I''d probably stay at the Bellagio. O is at the Bellagio, so that''ll be close, and I think it''s a great mix of classic Vegas and incredible beauty.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/15/2008 4:50:59 PM
Author: misspinky
We really want to do a little of it all. FI has never been to Vegas (I have) so I want him to experience as much as possible. We''re definitely going to a cirque show (I''m thinking Zumanity or O again because he used to dive competitively and would love the water element of it), doing a spa afternoon, and going dancing at least one night....does that help at all? On or off the strip, either is fine with us...
I don''t know anything about off strip hotels, so I''ll stick to the strip ones...

I''d definitely go see Zumanity. I''m sure O is awesome too, but I haven''t seen it yet, so I can''t say for sure.

The hotels on the strip have a lot of different amenities--all of them are basically the same, it just depends on the different glitz and feel of the hotels. If I were in your shoes I''d want to stay at The Venetian, Bellagio or Wynn, but they all have different feels. When FF and I get married we''re planning on the ceremony being at Mandalay Bay, and we''ll stay there as well. But we''ll probably have the reception (dinner) at The Venetian. We''re pretty low key and don''t gamble or party, so I think the most we''d want would be a nicer room, with great food (and Mandalay Bay has a TON of really great restaurants) that isn''t completely kid oriented (stayed at Excalibur last time-was ok, but too many kids).

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/15/2008 5:01:15 PM
Author: pjean
Thank goodness!
2.gif
I''m thinking about having my wedding at Bouchon, in their courtyard. It''s on the 10th floor of the Venezia tower, and has it''s own elevator (that must be what Lauren was talking about). If you happen to go there, please let me know what you think of it. Especially the food!

Misspinky, if I were staying in Vegas with money no object for a honeymoon, I''d probably stay at the Bellagio. O is at the Bellagio, so that''ll be close, and I think it''s a great mix of classic Vegas and incredible beauty.
I will pjean! When is your wedding anyway? I''m sure the food will be amazing. The breakfast menu is enough to make me want to go, and I think FF would actually like it too (he''s really picky!).

And I don''t mind threadjacks at all-I often start them myself--part of the problem with having ADHD. Can''t concentrate on one thing for too long.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
IT''S HERE!!!! IT''S HERE!!!

(and he hasn''t even been able to open it yet...)

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
YAY FREKE, Are you going to be able to post pictures???????????????????????????????
36.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Would it be breaking the rules if he joined PS and showed US photos?
12.gif
31.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
ha ha ha ha ha, I agree Ebree

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ll ask him EBree. He''d have to tell me the name of the thread so I''d stay away.

This is what FF said when he finally got into it:

Dale: "Well it''s blue."
Liz: "Do you like it?"
D: "Yeah."
L: "Is this it? What''s it look like?"
D: "Well I don''t know. You can see it. I''m going to go look a it in different light."
L: "Ok..."

D: "Ok. So it''s really blue outside. But it changes depending on the light. It''s really sparkly in the kitchen, because of the (halogen) lights, but it gets darker because of the dark floor. Over here in the living room it''s a lot lighter. And sometimes it looks almost clear. And sometimes it looks purple. But it''s definitely blue. And it''s not dark. It has a lot of little things going on in it."
L: (suddenly alarmed) "Little things?! What do you mean little things? Like dust looking things in it?"
D: "No, like...you see the pattern of the cuts much better."
L: "Like chunkier facets?"
D: "I guess so. Yeah. It''s not very big."
L: "Compare it to the pink one."
D: "It''s bigger than the pink one."
L: "Do you like it more than the pink one?"
D: "Yeah. But I don''t like pink. This one is definitely blue. So..."
L: "Do you like it? Is it the one?"
D: "I like it. But maybe you should see it."
L: "Do you think I''ll like it?"
D: "You''re picky. If you want to see it, you can."
L: "If you like it, that''s good enough for me. We have my engagement ring stone."
D: "Ok. But if you still want to see it..."
L: "That won''t be necessary. I''m done with this ering stone business."
D: "I''m not one of your PS people. It''s ENGAGEMENT RING not ering."
L: "Whatever. Just so long as you know what I''m talking about..."

Hee hee hee....

The winner:
1.2ct blue spinel
Cut by Barry Bridgestock.
Freke%20Barry%20ering%20stone%20maybe.jpg

E B

Ideal_Rock
36.gif
Congratulations!!! It looks beautiful. You got your "Barry"! Are you still thinking about putting it into your dream setting?

(p.s. I reeeeeally think you should look at it, especially if your boyfriend says you can!)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
EBree!

I have drawn out a sheet that has the plain solitaire, and a Varna wannabe. I''ve done a lot of searching and I think the dream Varna setting is about $2,000 (partially because it''s in platinum) which seems silly for a relatively cheap stone. Plus there are things about the Varna that I don''t like-like that it''s a flat instead of domed band, and that it''s 2.5mm. So I decided I''d rather have a replica because it''ll be cheaper.

I drew up a profile view, a side view and a top view and described it in words. He''s nervous about it because it has those two sapphires in it and he doesn''t want to have to worry about picking out the wrong color side stones to go with the center stone. Because he''s nervous about it I said that the side stones could be white sapphires too if he didn''t like any of the blue sapphires.

But he gets the choice. I''m fine with either.

Here''s a link to the Varna setting with diamonds: Link

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
YAYYYYYYY Freke YAYYYYYYY!

I''m so glad you found your stone. But LOL @ your FI. "I''m not one of your PS people!"

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/15/2008 4:38:47 PM
Where is the Batali restaurant?

I went to his pizza joint Otto in NYC, and had the best ice cream of my life--OLIVE OIL ice cream--and I''d go back to any of his restaurants in a heartbeat. Plus FF likes watching him on Iron Chef so he''s probably game there.
Just toward the back of the Venetian on the 1st floor. It''s right by the Blue Man Group theatre.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/15/2008 4:42:17 PM

Date: 9/15/2008 3:28:18 PM

Date: 9/15/2008 3:23:19 PM

Freke, I''m just now catching up on my PS (and my sleep) since I''ve been in Vegas all week (for work, and a little fun).

So, you''re waiting on one stone now, and have you received anything else since last Saturday?

Oh, and Dani - YOUCH!!!! That ring is AWESOME!

Hey Lauren! I have some questions about Vegas for you...considering jacking my own thread to ask. Hee hee hee.

I''m waiting on one stone now. It is probably sitting in my mailbox--I hope, and I''ll find out if it''s a keeper today when FF gets home from work. I haven''t received any other stones, just been waiting on this one. Although Dan has got a hot little stone on his dop right now from the looks on his page...

Oh heck, might as well go for the threadjack--What''s your favorite Cirque show? And where would you go for a nice dinner out (that doesn''t require a dress code)?

2.gif

31.gif

Okay, *minor* threadjack, but what hotel is the best to stay at in Vegas (price no object). FI and I are going there right after we get married for like 3 days (saving the honeymoon for later since I have to start my job like right after the wedding). We were thinking maybe Green Valley Ranch? Thoughts?
OK, so, I''ve stayed in The Bellagio, Mirage when it was new, Mandalay when it was new, haven''t stayed at the Wynn yet, but have been up to one of the standard rooms.

I JUST stayed at The Palazzo for a week, and that would be my pick! Great location across from Wynn and next to the Venetian, across from the TI and the Fashion Show mall. The rooms are SPECTACULAR for $200 a night - huge suites with awesome marble bathrooms and seperate tubs/huge showers. Sunken living room with **hopefully** an amazing view.

I have to say, I loved the hotel and would bring my husband back in a heartbeat.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
WHOLEY SMOKES, THAT IS ONE GORGEOUS STONE. I love it. OK now, how are you going to set it as your e-ring.???

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/15/2008 4:50:59 PM

Off strip, I would definitely stay at the Redrock or the JW Marriott - just for the views. They''re both minutes from Red Rock Canyon, and I''m partial to that side of Vegas as I lived in Summerlin for 15 years. It''s very far from the Strip, though . . . Oh, and Lake Las Vegas maybe?

Also, last season''s Hell''s Kitchen chef cooks at the restaurant at Redrock Resort. Not sure if that''s a good or a bad thing.
6.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
WHOA!!!!!! I started replying without scrolling down!!!!!
3.gif
3.gif
3.gif
3.gif

Holy Schnikies!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Barry Bridgestock does it again, girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am SOOOO impressed! Congrats, it's just awesome!!!!!!!!! You sooooo need to take some outside pics when you get a chance!!!!!!
11.gif
30.gif
11.gif
30.gif
11.gif
30.gif
11.gif

OMG, I'm seriously over the moon about this spinel for you! Just . . . wow!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Does Barry have any new stock out there?
2.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
The Barry Bridgestock spinel!! Perfection!! You stayed true to yourself and found THE ONE!!! Love it!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

misspinky

Brilliant_Rock
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!!!!!!! I''m so happy you found the one
9.gif

And thank you for the vegas advice

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
EBree Are you just trying to get pictures? I''ll bug FF about making an account later. I can''t say that he will, especially because that means he''d have to take pictures of it too, but I will try just for you.

MP Me too!!! He got so mad about the ering business. I, of course, thought it was hilarious.

LTP Maybe we''ll go to Batali''s place in December. Hmmm...That is the problem with Vegas. Too many food choices. What do you think of Mandalay Bay? Good wedding spot, bad wedding spot?

I don''t get to see the Barry stone unless my resolve breaks. In which case, you guys will be the first to know. And this sucker came from the man himself, I''m sure he''s got plenty of stuff floating around in his workshop/office. I''m sure if you emailed him...

Linda I''m hoping for something similar to the Varna setting, only with sapphire side stones. I like it because from the top down it looks like a solitaire. So it''s just a little cooler than a solitaire.

Fly Girl I did. And I''m done. Yay!!!! I''m more excited about this than I am about finishing stressful finals, and any other stressful situations I don''t like. Wohoo! Seriously. Way too stressful.

misspinky I am totally over the moon! And you''re welcome.

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by me through the spinel insanity, you guys have all made it more bearable. And given me lots of eye candy to look at as well!! I appreciate your help so so much. I couldn''t have done this without you guys!!

(And now I''m trying to think of a way to get FF to buy me a sapphire wedding ring!
9.gif
)

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I LOVE that setting. Did you say what color sapphires the sides would be, or did I miss it?

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/15/2008 8:40:02 PM
Because he''s nervous about it I said that the side stones could be white sapphires too if he didn''t like any of the blue sapphires.

I actually think white sapphires would make the spinel POP. It''d be a gorgeous combo.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/15/2008 11:39:58 PM
Author: EBree
Date: 9/15/2008 8:40:02 PM

Because he''s nervous about it I said that the side stones could be white sapphires too if he didn''t like any of the blue sapphires.

I actually think white sapphires would make the spinel POP. It''d be a gorgeous combo.

WOW Ebree, I LOVE that idea!!!! That would look gorgeous

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/15/2008 11:29:22 PM
EBree Are you just trying to get pictures? I''ll bug FF about making an account later. I can''t say that he will, especially because that means he''d have to take pictures of it too, but I will try just for you.

MP Me too!!! He got so mad about the ering business. I, of course, thought it was hilarious.

LTP Maybe we''ll go to Batali''s place in December. Hmmm...That is the problem with Vegas. Too many food choices. What do you think of Mandalay Bay? Good wedding spot, bad wedding spot?

I don''t get to see the Barry stone unless my resolve breaks. In which case, you guys will be the first to know. And this sucker came from the man himself, I''m sure he''s got plenty of stuff floating around in his workshop/office. I''m sure if you emailed him...

Linda I''m hoping for something similar to the Varna setting, only with sapphire side stones. I like it because from the top down it looks like a solitaire. So it''s just a little cooler than a solitaire.

Fly Girl I did. And I''m done. Yay!!!! I''m more excited about this than I am about finishing stressful finals, and any other stressful situations I don''t like. Wohoo! Seriously. Way too stressful.

misspinky I am totally over the moon! And you''re welcome.

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by me through the spinel insanity, you guys have all made it more bearable. And given me lots of eye candy to look at as well!! I appreciate your help so so much. I couldn''t have done this without you guys!!

(And now I''m trying to think of a way to get FF to buy me a sapphire wedding ring!
9.gif
)
The Mandalay is going to be an awesome wedding site! You''ll love it - one of my fave hotels in Vegas (but, I have like 5)!

You don''t happen to have BB''s email address, do you?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Linda I'm thinking maybe light-medium blue or white. I'm thinking that I might just go check out a local jeweler who carries the Varna setting (which is where I first saw it) and see what their price is on it.

EBree I'm thinking you may be right. Plus, it might make FF less nervous about picking out the stones. How hard can it be to pick out decent 2 2mm white sapphires?

LTP I'm glad Mandalay Bay met your seal of approval. Tell me, have you been to Mix (MB) or to Aquaknox (Venetian)? Those are my top two choices for "reception" sites based on looks alone (well I was really interested in going to Aquaknox when we were there the first time, but being that FF had just shelled out $120 each for us to go see Blue Man Group, I decided it was WAY too expensive), and Mix just looks really cool and sounds like it's a pretty fantastic restaurant.

Barry's email can be found at the bottom of this page: Linkity Link
He's such a nice guy. He was hell bent on finding me the perfect stone. Between his recommendation on this one and FF liking it, I'm sure I'll be thrilled when I finally get to see it. Really a great guy.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
OMG, you just reminded me, I need to post pictures of the new "GO" rooms at the Flamingo. Seriously, they should rename them "The Go Nowhere else rooms", because you don''t want to leave the room. Dude, they even have a video tv screen embedded into the bathroom mirror. Unbelievable. I will download them tomorrow and post in the other thread. I love Mandalay Bay too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results