shape
carat
color
clarity

Designing Victor Canera Pink FCD E-ring, need your help!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Tristan, keep on looking, and I will Photoshop for you to make up for the torture I've inflicted :rodent:

Acebruin, I love that ring. I also love your pink halo ring. I think I might have asked you about it before--I had a thread asking about yellow diamond halos (and FCD halos in general).

Keep the settings coming guys.

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
yes i am a guy! yes i'm a fancy colored diamondoholic even way before kenny! i'm really glad more and more people are finding them to be beautiful! and yes these rings were all my ideas... lol i'm crazier than my wife when it comes to diamonds... especially colored ones! i'll try to take some more pics for you buddy... i'll see if i have some old ones as well so i don't have to work very hard... :razz:

thanks pregcurious... yeah i think i saw that halo thread... hopefully i did answer your questions... lol if not, please forgive me...

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
So based on my yammering off numbers earlier, the blue circle is where the LARGEST diamond would be on My pink lucille. to then taper down from there. Erm. You can imagine if that was the biggest, there isn't much left to work with. sob sob.

Pregcurious - this would have been to die for. But I would have to sell my home and spare organs to pay for that 1.5ct Pink Round it and live on the streets.

Dreams.png

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
lol tristan... i too wish my diamonds are big enough to get the same effects as all of these gorgeous rings posted! it's hard to work with smaller diamonds wanting to achieve the same look (proportion)...

here i dug up some old pics... let me know if you want more...

cimg7417.jpg

cimg7423.jpg

cimg7452.jpg

cimg7458.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Can you do a split shank? It would give you bling, with a tapered look.

Here's a Mege 3 stone with a pave shank. The original center stone (sapphire) is 1.43 carats, but sapphires are more dense than diamonds and cushions face up small, so it is probably closer to a .8 carat round diamond? Someone from the Colored Stone forum please correct my estimate.

LM_r1103_123Wwpink.jpg

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
hope these help... sorry bud, most of my hand shots come with hairy knuckles... :lol:

cimg7462.jpg

cimg7475.jpg

cimg7416.jpg

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
pregcurious|1327637352|3112795 said:

i think the pink stone might be too small for a split shank?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Acebruin, I think you might be right.

Tristan, I think a 3 stone with some type of pave in the shank will give you the tapered look you want with the diamonds all around.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
acebruin|1327637572|3112799 said:

i think the pink stone might be too small for a split shank?

yeah I agree...might be too small for a split shank with the right proportions.

acebruin-I love that 3-stone pear ring :)

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TristanC|1327631431|3112705 said:
@Pheonix: Thanks! Good to know. But her 4 1/4 is actually for her middle finger. I still wonder how I'll size her ring finger correctly. Would be mentally stupid to make a custom then still have to resize :nono:

Oh, if 4 1/2 is her middle finger, then I'd guesstimate that her ring finger would be around 3 - 3 1/2. You could ask Tiffany if they have that size ring for her to try on (I don't actually know cos my fingers are not that petite :Up_to_something: ). You could also pop into a local jeweller's, try Canary at Delphi Orchard and ask anyone there to let you try on rings that size. They also have ring gauges there (they have both the long straight stick, as well as the hoops - tell them you want to know American sizing). Your GF could have her ring finger sized that way, and I'd recommend that you guys try to get the size as close and as accurate as possible.

I would not have the ring resized locally for 2 reasons: 1) if you go with VC, he'd most likely recommend platinum and most local jewellers don't/ are reluctant to work with platinum, and even if they're willing and successful at resizing it, there may still be a mark on the band; and 2) reszing by 1 whole size or 1 1/2 sizes *might* affect the beauty and integrity of the ring, esp one of this small size (this latter point, better check wt Victor - I'm just guessing here).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it's going to be too small for that look. I really do. You are talking a 5mm center. It needs a boost. I think a bezel around the center with an airline and then a halo is going to be your best bet for finger coverage.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tristan, do not have a ring custom made without knowing her exact ring size!!! Can you buy her some kind of inexpensive ring that would allow you to figure out her size???

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Here's a Mege 3 stone with a pave shank. The original center stone (sapphire) is 1.43 carats, but sapphires are more dense than diamonds and cushions face up small, so it is probably closer to a .8 carat round diamond? Someone from the Colored Stone forum please correct my estimate.

preg...Just FYI, I have been looking for a 6.5mm sapphire (size of a 1 ct. diamond) and they are ranging from around 1.20-1.50 cts. as depth varies a lot. So that sapphire in the ring you posted is probably closer to the size of a 1 ct. diamond.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ace! I posted your wife's ring with the pear sides on the first page of this thread! I love it! And I didn't know the size of the diamond then, but I feel that a 1 ct. stone is the minimum for that setting to look right.

Tristan, you could do some of those shanks that you like (such as the french cuts) if you'd just add a very simple halo to your diamond! It doesn't have to be a blingy one...do it with baguettes or french cuts. But by increasing the diameter of your center stone, you can do so much more with your shank (or maybe you wouldn't need to then!).

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1327640227|3112832 said:
Tristan, do not have a ring custom made without knowing her exact ring size!!! Can you buy her some kind of inexpensive ring that would allow you to figure out her size???

Hmm, the only thing I can think of is to buy 3 diamond candles and sneak in a 3 1/2, 3 3/4, 4 Ring size into them, but that's too convoluted. I'll keep thinking.

Or maybe sizing rings and slip them on while she's asleep - she sleeps quite soundly so I can take some liberties with her fingers :naughty:

Anybody know where I can get a pack of 5 sizing rings?

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, this is supposed to be a surprise?! Ah! then the task is bit more difficult!

I believe that you can buy ring gauges online. BN does them, I think (?) If she sleeps soundly, then it makes it much easier for you.

ETA: I just checked BN and they only do an online "thingy" and only starting from size 4. Lemme see what else I can dig up. Perhaps I can ask Canary directly for you and see if they can source or lend a couple of hoops to you. Be back soon...

When are you planning to propose?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
winternight|1327599090|3112277 said:
Gypsy|1327543825|3111874 said:
Halo ideas that are different from the norm.

Where there are white centers and colored stoned sidestones. Imagine your center and either all white sidestones (halo) or light pink to match your center.

Wow!! Love love love those rings. Can I ask where you found the ruby And sapphire image?

Google images. Deco ring, Deco sapphire ring, Deco pink ring.

SomethingSinful

Shiny_Rock
I am voting baguettes since it is so elegant yet chic or an inspired by of the Bvlgari illusion head design because to me that is chicer the chic

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1327641007|3112836 said:
Ace! I posted your wife's ring with the pear sides on the first page of this thread! I love it! And I didn't know the size of the diamond then, but I feel that a 1 ct. stone is the minimum for that setting to look right.

Tristan, you could do some of those shanks that you like (such as the french cuts) if you'd just add a very simple halo to your diamond! It doesn't have to be a blingy one...do it with baguettes or french cuts. But by increasing the diameter of your center stone, you can do so much more with your shank (or maybe you wouldn't need to then!).

I love this girl. 27 different ways to suggest you need a halo. :D I'm glad I didn't marry you - I'd have to be alert from the moment I wake up to figure out what innocent suggestion I'm actually agreeing to. Probably only at lunch would I go "Waitaminute..."

I've asked VC about the Bezel (hey! Since it has a bezel why don't you put some diamonds on that! :bigsmile: ), hopefully he can share some ideas on how to keep it dainty and classy.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TristanC|1327631431|3112705 said:
@Distracts: :appl: Thanks for the lovely effort! I actually love pears. But again, I somehow think pears will look better when the cente is bigger, and more able to fend for itself. This little pink might need 2 subtler friends, so tapered bullets I think are in order. PS: Your bullets are straight? :tongue:

And my pears were squiggly. Yes, I can't draw using a laptop trackpad. My secret is out.

acebruin|1327637505|3112797 said:
hope these help... sorry bud, most of my hand shots come with hairy knuckles... :lol:

I do so hope you frequently wear that ring on your pinky like that. It's very stylish. :appl:

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Phoenix|1327644144|3112853 said:
Oh, this is supposed to be a surprise?! Ah! then the task is bit more difficult!

I believe that you can buy ring gauges online. BN does them, I think (?) If she sleeps soundly, then it makes it much easier for you.

ETA: I just checked BN and they only do an online "thingy" and only starting from size 4. Lemme see what else I can dig up. Perhaps I can ask Canary directly for you and see if they can source or lend a couple of hoops to you. Be back soon...

Everything is a complete surprise. Down to the colour of the diamond. It was a flippant request - she figures it is so improbable that it might as well be impossible.

Can't say when... the walls have ears :???:

But yes, it makes it more difficult. Thanks so much for your assistance with Canary!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TristanC|1327647932|3112866 said:
Phoenix|1327644144|3112853 said:

Everything is a complete surprise. Down to the colour of the diamond. It was a flippant request - she figures it is so improbable that it might as well be impossible.

Can't say when... the walls have ears :???:

But yes, it makes it more difficult. Thanks so much for your assistance with Canary!

You're very welcome. Glad to be able to help.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 0.47 (5mm) carat with tapered baguette sides totalling 0.24. More delicate setting, set higher, about 2 1/4 mm wide.
My friend just received a 0.52 (unsure of mm) carat with pear sides totalling 0.20. Wider setting, set lower, tapers nicely to the point of the pears.

I love both looks! Both very classic. From a distance of more than about a foot you can't tell our rings apart. I think her's sparkles a bit more with the pear sides and I probably like that look a bit better.

How do you plan on highlighting the pink centre? Do you think the very white side stones will do it?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
This is a really good thread on how to set a half carat diamond.

Addy, can you post pictures for us?

Tristan, how about tapered french cuts as side stones, and straight french cuts for the shank?

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ok, nobody shoot me but i have a thought about going with a bezel that i can't shake. it sounds like you are for sure going with platinum, and i have a platinum bezel myself. it's probably a thicker bezel than you would go with, so keep that in mind, but it does dull as the 'patina' sets in. that being the case, i can't picture the dull gray of patina'd platinum complimenting the delicate, feminine pink of your stone. with a white diamond it doesn't bother me, but i feel like with a pink it just would't 'go'; that it might even take away from the feel you are looking to achieve. of course, if it's a super thin bezel or if you/your GF are willing to have it polished frequently it might not be as much of a concern. just food for thought.... :))

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Addy|1327672128|3112993 said:
I have a 0.47 (5mm) carat with tapered baguette sides totalling 0.24. More delicate setting, set higher, about 2 1/4 mm wide.
My friend just received a 0.52 (unsure of mm) carat with pear sides totalling 0.20. Wider setting, set lower, tapers nicely to the point of the pears.

I love both looks! Both very classic. From a distance of more than about a foot you can't tell our rings apart. I think her's sparkles a bit more with the pear sides and I probably like that look a bit better.

How do you plan on highlighting the pink centre? Do you think the very white side stones will do it?

yes, yes! i second the request for pics!

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Some pictures from my inspiration file that may or may not interest you! :wavey: RNG116486CM-1S.jpg
RNG114922IM-1S.jpg
images_10.jpg images_9.jpg

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1327644463|3112854 said:
winternight|1327599090|3112277 said:
Gypsy|1327543825|3111874 said:
Halo ideas that are different from the norm.

Where there are white centers and colored stoned sidestones. Imagine your center and either all white sidestones (halo) or light pink to match your center.

Wow!! Love love love those rings. Can I ask where you found the ruby And sapphire image?

Google images. Deco ring, Deco sapphire ring, Deco pink ring.

Thanks!

T - I think you need to go see some 1/2 carat set diamond rings in person. And then also consider what sort of band might go with the ring you design. I do have a friend with a pink sapphire/diamond set as an engagement set because pink is her favorite color. It is a gorgeous set. Its too bad that your girlfriend can't be involved in the design process- why not propose with a diamond and let her get involved in what she wants?

One other thought is ditch the side and just put small matching pave in the ring itself - small pave so it acts as a frame to the center stone. Someone posted a ring for sale that was a Leon set recently that was what I'm talking about. I think the center stone is too small for anything to really be tapered as you've noted.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results