shape
carat
color
clarity

Designing Victor Canera Pink FCD E-ring, need your help!

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, another update. Basically Victor did the math and realised that to create my original idea he would be left with scant slivers of diamonds on the shank due to the need for support walls (0.4mm per side). OR he would have to go to 2.2mm thickness and proposes square diamonds to make it look a bit like the Anya solitaire.

http://www.victorcanera.com/jewelry...-anya-solitaire-with-french-cut-diamonds.html

I think that although it is beautiful, the fact that it is so is because the center stone is larger. So, most likely that option will be skipped.

So... 90% leaning towards 3 stone, with tapered bullets (I like them more than the straight I think, please chime in).

VC did a quick and dirty with proportions he recommends. What do you all think?

bullets.png

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
I too think that the stone would benefit from a micro-pave halo.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Halo ideas that are different from the norm.

Where there are white centers and colored stoned sidestones. Imagine your center and either all white sidestones (halo) or light pink to match your center.

R1305C.jpg

fyVMtP8A.jpg

Deco-ring21.jpg

R1305C.jpg

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy, that Bulgari transitional illusion head sketch is gorgeous! I need to ask VC about it. Haha.

This reminds me of one picture I came across in PS about this completely to die for illusion setting... it was very vintage looking and I think yellow gold but I remember staring at it for a good long time. This rarely happens for me with ring designs. VC's rings are some of those that have that effect on me too.

I also agree that the execution on a lot of the pictures are badly done. I get the idea for the differentiation of the stone from skin though. I'll speak to VC and see what comes of it. Thanks!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes! Those proportions look great!

(Also, my mom has my grandmother's 0.2 ct solitaire, and on my size 4.5 fingers, it is a nice size. I looked it up and the internet says Asian and American ring sizes are the same. So although people keep saying it needs to look bigger, I don't think that's the case.)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
TristanC|1327544037|3111877 said:
Gypsy, that Bulgari transitional illusion head sketch is gorgeous! I need to ask VC about it. Haha.

This reminds me of one picture I came across in PS about this completely to die for illusion setting... it was very vintage looking and I think yellow gold but I remember staring at it for a good long time. This rarely happens for me with ring designs. VC's rings are some of those that have that effect on me too.

I also agree that the execution on a lot of the pictures are badly done. I get the idea for the differentiation of the stone from skin though. I'll speak to VC and see what comes of it. Thanks!

Isn't it? I think it's just to die for.

Since you don't mind the halo idea here are the top two halos I would consider. I have a strong personal preference for the one with baguettes. I think it would be to die for with your pink center. And the small octagonal bezel around the stone plus the airline are just incredible design details to top it off. That would be my top choice if I wanted a halo.

R1322 (2).jpg

475lot983.jpg

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
@Diamondseeker2006: Thanks DS, I really get where you're coming from. And obviously you're not alone on the halo setting (I reckon 60% say halo it and be done!), but I think that halos will Most Probably not go for this one. I actually like Leon's execution of the canary diamond 3 stone, but it took a while to like it, so I'm hoping VC can do better. Hope you'll stick around and lend your keen eye to this ongoing project!

@Yenny: Yup, I agree with you and DS, no rose gold. I see rose gold halos on Leibish all the time, and I just don't like them.

@Pheonix: as much as I would like to do a 5 stone FCD ring, with 5 half carat diamonds of various colours, I think she would get tired of the puzzled frowns on everyone else's face. :) I'll keep slowly buying more FCDs and maybe down the road that 3 stone can be a RHR present for her.

@slg47: I love your ring! Very tasteful and beautiful. It has the kind of unageing classic gorgeousness i'm aiming for in my project! Thanks for your support on the no halo. I know its personal taste, but I'm glad that at least it seems almost as though it could be a 50/50 choice, and I need people with good taste on both sides of the camp! What do you think of the accent size that VC proposed? Its either bullets or pears I think. Definitely not a high setting. Medium or lowish?

@sparkly_girl & amysbling: Thanks for the votes, keep em coming! I do love a good halo, just not for me. I think.

@Queenb29: Thanks for remembering! What do you think of the proportions VC recommends?

@Kelpie: D it is. Pears or tapered bullets. What think you? Same sharp pointy end, one is sparklier, one is steppier.

@bella and stargurl78: yup, i'm leaning to all platinum as well. Thanks for the other ideas!

@acebruin: Cool idea, but my gf prefers understated settings I believe, so a double halo is not so her. If it were a white stone ering, it would almost definitely have a pink halo though! Re: pave down the shank should be an idea. And yes, definitely want to let the pink shine.

@Kenny: Kenny, I wonder if this no halo thing is a guy thing. You think? I echo some of your sentiments. I WOULD like a bigger pink stone, but right now, its more that i can't find one with the right specs. Nothings shown up in half a year on 4 continents. Bleah.

@Junebug17: yup, you remember right :) It's most likely D sidestones, pears or tapered bullets... still considering. hmm.

@Sky56: Thats probably not going to work now, sadly, due to the dimensions of the center. Oh well... How important is it to leave diamonds off the bottom of the shank? I forgot to think about that.

@Christina: Yup, another vote for considering Pave. Will speak with VC.

@canuk-gal: your vote has been registered!

@distracts: that's a good point. Think it would work with tapered bullets then?

@Echidna: Generally I want to reply to anything you write anyway, because of that ridiculously cute echidna on your avatar! Go egg laying mammals! I'll explore the bezel idea, and shape with VC

Ok, think that's everyone. I can't promise I'll reply to all future posts, but I wanted all of you to know that I read them all and appreciate the time! :wavey:

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Oops missed out:

@Sphenequeen: No halos! hahaha. Ok, what I actually mean is, halos are waay low on the priority list, so it is very unlikely that I'll do one

@pregcurious: Hello! Was wondering when you'd join in! That center stone is huge! 2cts. I actually loved his Lucille solitaire a lot too. Unfortunately the choice to go smaller (If it wasn't pink I would have stopped at a 0.6ct round anyway or a 0.8ct princess due to preferred size, she's an understated girl), so some of VC's more complex designs can't quite be pulled off sadly.

@Gypsy: I'm not gonna turn aside free ideas! If you keep em coming, I'll keep considering. I would point out that I still want it to look like an E-ring though, so some of the more colourful choices that would make a beautiful RHR, I'm not gonna consider. Pink is sufficiently different, no need to go too far left. Still loving that sketch.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tristan, I can't wait to see how your ring turns out!

(Gypsy, I love all the octagonal halos! I especially love the last setting with the side baguettes that you posted. I actually got a quote from Victor on a similar setting but it was $$$$!!!!)

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
TristanC|1327545891|3111918 said:
Oops missed out:

@Sphenequeen: No halos! hahaha. Ok, what I actually mean is, halos are waay low on the priority list, so it is very unlikely that I'll do one

I totally understand as I am not a fan of halos in general. I just think the frame will enhance the pinkness of your stone.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tristan,

No worries. :))

Btw, the sizes of the rings in Tiffany in SG are US sizes, fyi.

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock
TristanC|1327545434|3111911 said:
@Queenb29: Thanks for remembering! What do you think of the proportions VC recommends?

I really like the idea of tapered bullets. I think they would give you a little more presence than the baguettes, but have the same effect :appl:

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tristan, i love the bullets idea and i like the proportions that vc sent you. i think that would make for a very elegant, sophisticated, beautiful ring. i have the impression from all your posts that is what you are looking for and what would suit your GF, too!

also, it occurred to me that bullets would add a subtle complimentary element, without drawing the eye away from the center as say, pears, might. JMO, FWIW. :))

i can't wait to see how this progresses and what you end up with!! i'm already anticipating the green monster! :mrgreen: ;-)

p.s. one idea to elaborate on the bullets, and i'm not even sure i like this entirely, would be to add two small round brilliants on each side of the center, just before the bullets begin.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I also love the idea of tapered bullets. To me, the thought of a pink diamond center with a halo conjures up a very "girlie-girl" image, and it doesn't sound like that would suit your GF as well as something sleek and chic. If it were me, I'd find a nice balance between art deco and modern -- maybe some shoulders below the bullets and a cool design in the basket or something like that -- and let the FCD speak for itself. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1327543825|3111874 said:
Halo ideas that are different from the norm.

Where there are white centers and colored stoned sidestones. Imagine your center and either all white sidestones (halo) or light pink to match your center.

Wow!! Love love love those rings. Can I ask where you found the ruby And sapphire image?

I would definitely do a halo to enhance the pink and also prevent it from being directly up against flesh tones. I do understand what you mean about it looking like an engagement ring, but then again you're already working with a colored stone.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TristanC|1327545434|3111911 said:
@distracts: that's a good point. Think it would work with tapered bullets then?

I think tapered bullets are an excellent idea. I like the step-cuts for sidestones for your stone because the lines of the cut will draw the eye in toward the center stone, and cause you to pay more attention to it, which will make it seem pinker and bigger. I think the sparkliness of pears will distract the eye from it and make it seem smaller and less pink, because there will be so much going on around it.

I have made a really horrible illustration:
fcdpink.png

ahahha my diamond drawing skills leave something to be desired.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My fav for finger coverage would be a three stone all RBs. Pink center, 30 point each icy whites on each side...coverage and yumminess!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I know the center stone is a different size, but I've photoshopped your stone into the Lucille:

VC_lucille_pink.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
My preference is for the bezel Sophia. I think the bezel will deepen the color of your stone, and the contrast with the metal will make your stone pop more than against skin.

I think both the Lucille and Sophia address your wanting a classic setting, no halo, and avoiding issues with a three stone ring, which would require very small sidestones. You could also do something with a straight shank, like the Anya.

EDIT: I just read your post about not being able to do the Anya or any channel set setting because of the thickness of the walls. Oops. My vote then is to halo the stone, then still do channel set diamonds. The halo would make the center piece of the ring bigger, which would allow for the channel set shank to be the correct thickness. :naughty: Okay, I know you don't like halos. :tongue:

VC_sophia_pink.jpg

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
@DS: Yup, me too. I only worry that I might screw it up. Of course everyone will be too sweet to say so.

@Sphene: I will still speak to VC regarding halos or enhancing the pink. What worries me is that the DEFAULT thing with FCDs is to halo them, to ensure that the colour shows up. With a stone as small as mine (relative to PS norms), trust me when I say that I constantly war with myself to take the safe route and just halo it. But I know my gf doesn't like halos as well.

@Pheonix: Thanks! Good to know. But her 4 1/4 is actually for her middle finger. I still wonder how I'll size her ring finger correctly. Would be mentally stupid to make a custom then still have to resize :nono:

@QueenB: Great, I love tapered bullets too. Very unique. But they will be very small tapered bullets... VC said he would polish up some D bullets (I guess he works with someone who does polishing for him)

@Rainydaze: Spot on. Soft, understated classic/classy ring, definitely an E-ring in style, but not shouty or loud. Everything should be a subtle element, including the soft pink. If anyone notices, they can comment. 99% would never guess it was a pink diamond off the bat, but I hope people DO immediately get the sense that it is her engagement ring and not a RHR, or a party ring or costume jewelry or anything like that.

@slg47: Yay to another reaffirmation that tapered bullets are a good idea! The idea is growing on me too!

@Octavia: Yup, we are stil at the broad strokes for the design. The subtle nuances haven't been talked about yet. Hope you'll be there when VC and I get to that stage!

@Winternight: Thanks for chipping in! I kow about the whole CS thing, sometimes wanting to be a little different is a little scary.

@Distracts: :appl: Thanks for the lovely effort! I actually love pears. But again, I somehow think pears will look better when the cente is bigger, and more able to fend for itself. This little pink might need 2 subtler friends, so tapered bullets I think are in order. PS: Your bullets are straight? :tongue:

@Ninitan: Thanks for the link. After that I went to google and searched for "Banks to rob". Again, all halos. Hmpf. I might have the only RB Pink diamond non haloed e-ring in 3 continents.

@Asscherhalo_lover: I considered RBs too! but in the end was advised that the center is too small for RBs to properly complement it.

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
Love the tapered French cut idea that was just posted. SO elegant!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Here are 2 Leon Mege's with your stone (from the box picture). The first is with pears, the second is with tapered baguettes, which are close to bullets. The keystones are about 1 ct in both rings.

LM_r1163_1Ww_pink.jpg

LM_r1216pink.jpg

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
I love bullets as side stones and I think they would look amazing with your diamond.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Here's one last suggestion. This setting, for a round stone. It's not quiet a halo, it's classic, it's modern, it's unique, and it would make your stone pop. I love Victor Canera's work, but I would have Leon Mege execute it because it's his design and his shop has successfully done it before.

LM_r4093_012Ww.jpg

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
pregcurious|1327630306|3112685 said:
I know the center stone is a different size, but I've photoshopped your stone into the Lucille:

AHHHHHH!!!! I want it to look like this!!! ;( ;(

But I think I know why it can't.

I can't afford (nor can I find) a 1.5ct Pink round brilliant ($300-400K?)

So if the Ring is Size 4 1/4, and the Diamond is 5.2mm, The minimum wall width is 0.4mm per side, for 0.8mm - and the band thickness should not exceed 1.8mm at the thinnest, so that leaves only 1mm for diamonds. And maybe 2mm at the thickest for the same proportions.

At 2mm, you can't see the french cuts, and at 2mm, it would be more like large Pave, than actual diamonds set in a taper down.

:(( So i can't have the style I want. ;(

It would probably end up like those Blue Nile rings with small center stones and channel set stones - very unbalanced. The photoshopped rings had some really nice centers so they could carry the design through with gorgeous proportions.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong. Because the lucille is gorgeous!

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
lol pregcurious! i like that 3 stone pear sides ring! the center stone is 1.01 carat... here are more pictures... and yes it's my wife's... :love:

fly3stone32.jpg

fly3stone33.jpg

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
acebruin|1327635477|3112767 said:
lol pregcurious! i like that 3 stone pear sides ring! the center stone is 1.01 carat... here are more pictures... and yes it's my wife's... :love:

fly3stone32.jpg

fly3stone33.jpg

Its your wife's? You're a guy? COOL! Ok, now you gotta work it buddy. Can I please have:
1) A shot of the profile
2) A shot from 45deg towards the top
3) Both those shots on your lovely wife's hands.

And make it soon!

Please? :tongue:

Haha, your wife's ring is gorgeous. If you could actually share some of those photos, it would help tons. I especially wanted to see how it was pinched for the taper where the ring met the v shaped prong thingy (my mastery of technical terms is amazing) If you found time, I would love those photos. :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results